• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nowise10

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't doubt this happens, but how do people know your wife is a women when they are behind her, which was half the scenarios you listed? And how are you hearing what they are saying too you if they are behind you in their own car??

Deleted member 2099

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Daschiel

Oct 28, 2017
Your argument is ridiculous and sexist. Every demographic has bad drivers, so stop blaming everything on the demographic that you don't belong to.

How is my argument sexist ? I'm saying both do it, but I get to see it way more with women. Feel free to come to work with me for a week. I'll carpool you if you want. Let's see if keep saying the same thing afterwards. I dont belong in the demographic? WTH does that even mean? When I lived in NY and Utah I never saw anything like it.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, the only blatant sexism I've encountered as a female driver has been at car dealerships. On the road, I don't feel like I have ever been treated differently.

PhazonBlonde

User requested ban
Banned
May 18, 2018
Somewhere deep in space
At least she didn't have a guy in a big truck leering in traffic and masturbating while he looks down your shirt -_-;

The "women are bad drivers" shit needs to go yesterday. Insurance companies know women are safer drivers, that's why our rates are lower. Nearly every time I see someone doing aggressive dangerous bullshit it's always a dude.

Nivash

Oct 25, 2017
If you don't move on green, you will get honked. No mercy.

I have a question for you as a self-identifying "Green Honker": what timescale are we talking about? Because I've had people honk at me during the second it takes to get the car into gear after the light turned green. That's fast enough that I have to assume that they've been sitting there on edge, hand resting on the horn, looking for an opportunity to honk.

EDIT: As for the worst driver demographic bar none there can be no competition. It's working van drivers. God damn are those people crazy. I swear some of them are driving like they expect their boss to organise a firing squad if they're a minute late to wherever they need to be. Just the other day, I had a working van overtake me with an inch-like margin as it squeezed besides me and oncoming traffic, way above the speed limit, right in front of a traffic camera.

Last edited:

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
On topic,

I've noticed this. It is targeted towards women. Like people at work complaining about women drivers always doing their makeup.. not paying attention, not knowing how to drive.

Meanwhile, women's insurance rates are lower.

A lot of dudes are sexist. A lot of road ragers are cowards. I love the fact that folks can be all high and mighty with their horn, fly around to have the old stare off.. then immediately keep looking fucking forward due to the blackness of my skin and stare. You combine that with women issues, it's a bad time out there. I have never been yelled at as much as I've seen women drivers near me get yelled at. I can only remember a few times.. if I think really hard.

Cars are seen oddly, as some big male thing. Like why women can't get a fair deal at the dealership/mechanic. I mean maybe it's just a remnant of the past as women are still getting the right to drive in parts of our civilized world.

Dec 18, 2017
I have a question for you as a self-identifying "Green Honker": what timescale are we talking about? Because I've had people honk at me during the second it takes to get the car into gear after the light turned green. That's fast enough that I have to assume that they've been sitting there on edge, hand resting on the horn, looking for an opportunity to honk.

EDIT: As for the worst driver demographic bar none there can be no competition. It's working van drivers. God damn are those people crazy. I swear some of them are driving like they expect their boss to organise a firing squad if they're a minute late to wherever they need to be. Just the other day, I had a working van overtake me with an inch-like margin as it squeezed besides me and oncoming traffic, way above the speed limit, right in front of a traffic camera.

About 2 seconds, tops. You should be fine.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Do I just live around the most polite drivers? No one here even honks their horn unless someone sits at a green light for minimum three seconds.

Same. Where I live I don't think I've heard a car horn in months. Sure there's bad drivers out there, but you learn to just ignore them. People that get angry while driving are probably just idiots in general.

As for people not going on a green light, I'll probably wait up to 5 seconds before I think about honking. The person usually realizes the light turned green in that period, so there's no reason to honk.

m0therzer0

Mobile Gaming Product Manager
Verified
Nov 19, 2017
San Francisco bay area
Same. Where I live I don't think I've heard a car horn in months. Sure there's bad drivers out there, but you learn to just ignore them. People that get angry while driving are probably just idiots in general.

As for people not going on a green light, I'll probably wait up to 5 seconds before I think about honking. The person usually realizes the light turned green in that period, so there's no reason to honk.
Right, it's just easier to give people the benefit of the doubt and assume they just haven't realized the light is green then to get irrational about the situation. If I'm where I need to go a few minutes later overall, so be it. No need to raise my blood pressure and ruin someone else's day by being an asshole.

On topic, I've never seen it but have no reason doubt it. Some guys are prick sand think they own the road. Shit, Disney even made a Goofy cartoon about dudes turning into Mr Hyde when they get behind the wheel.

FeliciaFelix

Oct 27, 2017
As a woman, I've never felt any discrimination in the road. As a Puerto Rican, I dont see what's so bad about South Florida.

/IAMTHEONEWHOKNOCKS.gif

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yikes at that first page. People just can't resist showing their ass on some subjects.

I've seen some obscene shit from guys reacting to women while driving. Few things expose sexism faster than being out on the road.

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
"Sexist insults towards female drivers don't happen because I, a man, have never witnessed it. BUT DEM WIMMIN DRIVERS AMIRITE LOLOL"

this thread in a nutshell

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Simple enough question and I do appreciate this probably isn't limited to just men, but I've just been out with the wife for a drive and I was shocked by how many men thought it was okay to beep at her over the tiniest little things.

Took a microesecond too long to get going after a light turns green? BEEEEEP. One cunt called her a bitch, another told her to stay at home.
Didn't take a turn fast enough for the person behind so is speeding and has to hit their brakes and skid? BEEEEEP
One motherfucker while we stuck in traffic made a blowjob gesture at her.

What the fuck is this shit? I don't drive much, but when I do I rarely have to deal with this shit. What suddenly makes it okay when it's a woman driving?

Probably a few reasons, but in this case the men sound angry, which could be due to various things. They see your wife, and they direct a lot of that anger they have at her because in their eyes a woman is an easy target.

Americans love their big SUVs, they hide behind it so it makes them not feel insecure.

I like SUVs, I must be insecure.

Nephtis

Banned
Dec 27, 2017
There are many bad drivers out there for sure (all genders). There are also just as many assholes and many of them are hyper sensitive. You don't do something perfectly and they give you all kinds of shit.

I've personally seen more women that road rage than men.

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I give a light tap if they've been sitting there for idk I guess about 5-10 seconds. If they keep sitting there after that I lay on it until they get their heads out of their asses and move.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
My gf drives us to work every morning. I dont think she gets honked at any more than I do, which is very little. I'm not saying your wrong op, but your experience does not match mine at all.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
People are bringing up civility now, but car culture in the US (I've only driven in the US so not bashing) is very toxic. I don't know what about cars that causes people to treat other people like dogs hit.

Imagine of these were pedestrians? I couldn't.

Oct 25, 2017
Gosh OP, I'm really sorry that happened. People can be mean to women sometimes. It's disgusting behavior but I like to think not everyone is this way.

Editied: i didnt like the way I phrased that

joylevel11

Banned
May 19, 2018
a lot of guys just have it in their mind that it's OK to harass a woman who is driving.

honestly i've had more bother with male drivers than female. it seems male drivers are more likely to overtake, cut in front, or speed. while i have experienced a bad female driver i can't recall any particular event but i have had countless of situations with males.

i'd rank male > elderly > female. every female i've ever got into a car with i've felt safe and they respect all the rules. i don't like getting in the car with a male driver because they drive like maniacs.

(i'm a guy btw).

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017

I don't count out the seconds, but if I don't see your brake lights come off when the light turns, I get into position to honk.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
How can people tell what the drivers in the other cars look like so often?

Maybe it's just that everyone here uses windows tinted so harshly you can't see the driver at all.

Zing

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Never seen anything like this riding with any woman.

Maybe it's my location?
Same here. This is some ridiculous amount of harassment. Is OP driving a car that has a huge sign on top saying "FUCK YOU AND YOUR MOTHER" that could trigger such rage?

Last edited:

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
How can people tell what the drivers in the other cars look like so often?

Maybe it's just that everyone here uses windows tinted so harshly you can't see the driver at all.
Lol I was just about to ask the same thing

I barely register if a driver is male or female. Maybe I just don't care to look. I also don't drive very often though, and have little issues when I do.

Slime Stack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
There's your answer lmao.

Besides, if you've drove in Puerto Rico, you can probably drive on the moon.

True lmao. Public transportation here is awful so literally everyone over the age of 16 has a car. I always get a mini panic attack when I have to drive up to the city. People racing against each other, pot holes everywhere, accidents all the time, intrussive construction sites. These PR streets are wild.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Driving is toxic in the US. Make no mistake women driving are stigmatized to the point my best friend is afraid to get her license. I'm ashamed to admit it's partially because of me. She was in the car during a road rage altercation. I'm quick to get out of the vehicle and start shit. She just happened to be there when I needed to explain to a Camry why you don't cut me off before a stop light.

I don't know where this stigma comes from, but women generally are the safest drivers I know. It's mostly men I see flying down 85 at 100+ or driving in the HOV lane alone or going slow in the passing lane or brake checking people (don't do this to me I will hit you). Driving is hostile.

Deleted member 23381

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Everyone knows that white van drivers are the worst you can come across.

That said as a motorcyclist who tries to be pretty aware of all the cars around me I have an internal tier list of drivers I'm more wary of based on my anecdotal experiences.

Brown woman are the highest, they seem just do whatever they want without thinking or looking, my only real close calls on my motorcycle have been from them riding straight through a roundabout without so much as a look which once made me have to emergency stop right in the middle of it, if there was anyone behind me that could have ended real badly.

On the other hand black women on the other hand are the lowest, they seem to be the most competent, aware and responsible drivers I come across.

But white van drivers are still the worst of the worst.

Last edited:

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit that is insane, I would be so mad if I experienced that with my lady or mom. I am glad I have never seen any of that behaviour where I live.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
There are people with legitimate road rage and will go off on anyone probably more prominent in a bigger city. Ive seen people get out of cars and spit at eachother without a care that they are blocking traffic or they could get run over. I definitely have mild road rage from taking the 101 my whole life. I have PTSD from taking the 405 for half a year. I don't think ive seen people go off on women specifically but they probably change their insults and gestures based on whoever is driving.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Driving is toxic in the US. Make no mistake women driving are stigmatized to the point my best friend is afraid to get her license. I'm ashamed to admit it's partially because of me. She was in the car during a road rage altercation. I'm quick to get out of the vehicle and start shit. She just happened to be there when I needed to explain to a Camry why you don't cut me off before a stop light.

I don't know where this stigma comes from, but women generally are the safest drivers I know. It's mostly men I see flying down 85 at 100+ or driving in the HOV lane alone or going slow in the passing lane or brake checking people (don't do this to me I will hit you). Driving is hostile.
Sounds like you are hostile as shit..calm down.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
Get a gun together and put a bumper sticker on her car saying something like "My other turn signal is a SIG" with a picture of the gun.

I think the hurtful comments will stop then

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Driving is probably the most miserable thing most people have to do on a daily basis. I know that since I moved back to third shift driving is so much less stressful than when I had to drive both ways during rush hour. I'm much more mellow driving these days. Anyone that is causing delays on the roadway can count on inducing rage in their fellow motorists.

D65

Oct 26, 2017
Just ask insurance companies which REALLY is the worse/more dangerous gender behind the wheel.

Isn't that smaller incidents are far more frequent like scratching, small dents etc. In one group?

Also I wonder it's to do with the spacial awareness benefit that male brains are said to have.

But in the context of this thread and the OP... Sexism. That's why.

AlsoZ

Oct 29, 2017
Isn't that smaller incidents are far more frequent like scratching, small dents etc. In one group?

Also I wonder it's to do with the spacial awareness benefit that male brains are said to have.

But in the context of this thread and the OP... Sexism. That's why.
How did you interpret this statement? Women have lower premiums.

D65

Oct 26, 2017

I just remember debate club brought this up because we had this country wide one on whether or not there should be car insurance for just women (etc.)

I'm not just adding to it.

It has nothing to do with the behaviour which warranted this thread, but the types of accidents comment across gender, at least AFAIK, differ.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ

You will get out of your car to yell at someone? That's not normal, and you need to learn to calm down.

Driving is not hostile, but it sounds like you're making it hostile.

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Women drive a lot less in general, which is a big part of that. We just had an article posted in this thread that laid it out:

https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/battle-sexes-men-drivers-women-dyehard-science/story?id=13841063

Researchers at Johns Hopkins University found that female drivers were involved in slightly more crashes then men, but the difference was not all that great -- 5.1 crashes per million miles driven for men, compared to 5.7 crashes for women.

Age, in various studies, appears to be a more important issue than gender. Teenage boys start off badly, according to the Johns Hopkins study, with about 20 percent more crashes per mile driven than teen-age girls. Between the ages of 20 and 35 males and females are equally at risk of being involved in a crash, and after age 35 female drivers are at greater risk than males.

As always, it's more complicated than "X gender is awful". There are a ton of other factors at play, but none of them are really important for all the road rage stuff which is unacceptable no matter what.

Rubbish

Dec 3, 2017
Simple enough question and I do appreciate this probably isn't limited to just men, but I've just been out with the wife for a drive and I was shocked by how many men thought it was okay to beep at her over the tiniest little things.

Took a microesecond too long to get going after a light turns green? BEEEEEP. One cunt called her a bitch, another told her to stay at home.
Didn't take a turn fast enough for the person behind so is speeding and has to hit their brakes and skid? BEEEEEP
One motherfucker while we stuck in traffic made a blowjob gesture at her.

What the fuck is this shit? I don't drive much, but when I do I rarely have to deal with this shit. What suddenly makes it okay when it's a woman driving?
Where the fuck do you live bro