• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pirata

Oct 25, 2017
Generally I agree but we also have to realize that for some people there's a greater cost to fighting and a bigger burden to bear. It has to be hard for people to look at others who have a ton of privilege both presently and historically doing nothing, or working against the cause, while for them speaking up can extract a great cost. Not to mention phony "allies" and never knowing who is really with you.

Oh, I know! Growing up gay in Texas, I know the vast majority of people wouldn't lift a finger if I got carted to a concentration camp. Most of my family wouldn't!

People have different situations and different abilities, and have different things they can bring to the table. The missing ingredients are organization and leadership. If the events of recent years have shown us anything positive, it's that you don't have to be "qualified" to be a leader. You don't have to be "qualified" to organize people.

We can do it here. We can be more than spectators.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
It's easy to play the victim.
Kanye-West-spotted-with-a-rare-smile-on-his-face.jpg

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
Whenever there's any negative topic, there's a 100% chance a significant part of the comments will be something like "Lol, we're doomed. You're all delusional", but like literally any single topic:

- Trump does anything
"Well, that's 2020 on his bag. Why even go to vote"

- Any negative new about climate change
"We're doomed, why are you all still deluding yourself. Nothing can change"

Even in the gaming side you can see it with certain topics like timed exclusive content, paid online and digital games.

Seriously people, you're not a "realist" for being constantly negative about every single topic. You're a pessimist cynical, just as deluded as the people you attack
Because the "worst timeline" cliche is constantly proving to be accurate. Every single worst case scenario I've predicted has pretty much come true. Again and again. It feels like everything is aligning so perfectly terrible time and time again. The rise of global fascism, Brexit, Climate change, the shit that's kicking off with Iran, KJU & Trump meeting, Putin & Trump meeting. Again and again. Relentlessly, neverending, and the very people who you hope would have the power to change the world for the better are actively working to do the opposite. It truly feels hopeless.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for correcting me, "pessimistic cynic" would be right then?

Yes. Some would say that's redundant, but I wouldn't agree. A cynic is just someone who tends to believe others act for self-involved or greedy reasons, but that doesn't necessarily imply the negative outcome that a pessimist would assume. They're two different things, and put together they mean a specific kind of person that is definitely who you're talking about in the OP.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if playing the victim is easy i can't even imagine how easy it is to pretend to care about the people you think are playing the victim.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
'splain it to me if you're up for it. I'm curious.

Lots of older, rich white gay dudes defending their racism and transphobia to a younger black gay guy who calls them out on it justified on the basis of the fact that, like, 30 years ago things were hard and scary (I sound dismissive here but, like, during the Reagan years -- no question they were, just not only for them as white gay folks) and they spent a lot of work doing the whole bootstraps thing to get where they are.

Some transphobic slurs occur in the clip.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dude. "I pulled myself up by my bootstraps" is literally the opposite of getting it.

Holy shit it's like I'm talking to a wall, without going into specifics, I didn't pull myself up from my fucking bootstraps. I was unhappy and in a shitty place 10 years ago, I can't fix homophobia obviously, I still have relatives that wouldn't accept me, anti-gay crimes have been rising so I'm not pretending everything is Disneyland for me, I still have shitty stuff going on in my life, some I might be able to work on others not. I am just saying that it's still possible to control aspects of your life and work on becoming happy and creating the life that you want, or something similar to it. I'm not saying that this is possible for every single person in every single situation, I never claimed to speak in absolutes. But I truly believe it is possible for a lot of people(here).

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Climate Change is real. It's going to get ugly. Does this mean we all should give up now and don't try to fight? That's not how anything in the history of humanity has been accomplished.
"it's going to get ugly" in the context of climate change most likely means millions of people dying who largely didn't create or contribute to the problem. While I think that controlling it is certainly possible, wouldn't you say that this best case scenario isn't something to be hopeful about?

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
You seemed to be antagonizing him for being happy with his situation and telling others that they can be as well. If I read that wrong then I apologize but I thought his posts in here have been pretty positive.
Because others *cant't* "just be happy" with their situation. There's a vast difference between being happy with your situation and telling others that they can do the same. It's about having a basic understanding of systemic oppression and that it's not the same as individual hardships.

Oct 27, 2017
Official Staff Communication

This thread has become host to a multitude of subjects that can be discussed in existing threads, so it will now be closed. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.