• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kureransu

Oct 25, 2017
I've been echoing that I want switch to have a library of it's own, but with some standard overlap (sports and the like). I personally don't expect every third party game to come out for the Switch. But at the same time, i don't expect every one to come out for any platform. I'm hoping that the third party devs find a niche to tap into where they can expand their franchises, by making variations/ spin-offs that are made specifically for the switch and maximizing the system's strengths. In the old country I made mention of Kingdom Hearts as an example. The handheld versions of the games were every bit as important to the story and as high as quality it could be given the hard ware they all released on. Dead Space extraction was also really good, and it fit into the story beautifully.

Looking at how people have no problem double dipping, or buying double packs of games (pokemon/fire emblem/yokaiwatch). I feel like they could make a real killing. why not have a Red Dead for switch that may tell a story that ties in 2 a dlc arc in 2, but built for the system based on it's specs? the thing about it being less powerful generally means it has a lower dev cost to make. SO why not go that route. Not only will it get people to buy multiple system, but they can sale multiple games.

I believe if devs have the switch in mind for a game they are making for the consoles/pc at jump, they create a scalable workflow where they can reuse many assets to make a spin off of the game, keeps dev costs down for the switch version.

I know it's wishful thinking, but i think that would be win win for everyone.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
It's really not. Most of the japanese third party games skip it and there's no actual big japanese tp release for the system yet.
How many big jpn games did the PS4 had in its first 12-18 months ?
It took 4 years of domination for the system to finally get games like DQXI or MHW - yet you expect everyone to have AAA Switch exclusives after less than a year. We dont even know most of the jpn 3rdParty line for this year.

OP
OP
TheMisterManGuy
Oct 27, 2017
It's really not. Most of the japanese third party games skip it and there's no actual big japanese tp release for the system yet.

And as he said. The Switch isn't even a year old yet, and just came off the heels of the Wii U. Expecting every Japanese third party to jump on it immediately is unrealistic. Not to mention, some of these games have been in development for 2-3 years, before these devs even knew what the Switch was.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
They're coming. Even though it's just a remaster (and not actually ported by Japanese studios) I think Dark Souls is going to be eye-opening for some.

Disgaea 5 was evidently the same thing for many smaller Japanese devs.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Personally I don't care about significant multiplats making their way to the system, although obviously many do and it's healthy for the platform to have that selection. Outside of indie games though, I'm generally focused on exclusives and first party.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Because a lot of us were alive to see Nintendo being just that and can imagine what it would be like if Nintendo decided to just sell their console a little stronger with a normal controller. Even if the normal controller was secondary, it being packed in would make all the difference. Oh well, cest la vie. I dont mind modern Nintendo but in a lot of ways, they cut themselves off from a larger market appeal. Switch and botw are currently the biggest steps ive seen them take to remedy that since super nintendo but certain things like no dpad and waggle controls in mario odyssey make me question whether that trend will continue or go back down the wii rabbit hole.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How many big jpn games did the PS4 had in its first 12-18 months ?
It took 4 years of domination for the system to finally get games like DQXI or MHW - yet you expect everyone to have AAA Switch exclusives after less than a year. We dont even know most of the jpn 3rdParty line for this year.
It had confirmed AAA announcements in its first year and everybody knew it would get support from these companies, but it's getting even more than we expected. Like you said, the PS4 now has even Dragon Quest and Monster Hunter, with smaller companies like Atlus even trying to make more games for it after their big success on the platform. I don't think the Switch can compete with that. These titles will make third parties just think it's not worth to try to get safe sales from the japanese market, when they can chase the big western console dream.

And as he said. The Switch isn't even a year old yet, and just came off the heels of the Wii U. Expecting every Japanese third party to jump on it immediately is unrealistic. Not to mention, some of these games have been in development for 2-3 years, before these devs even knew what the Switch was.
Even the 3DS had bigger announcements from third parties first year. Also, let's not ignore that the Switch is a portable Nintendo system, pretending it's just a successor to the Wii U to justify the lack of tp support isn't fair.

OP
OP
TheMisterManGuy
Oct 27, 2017
Even the 3DS had bigger announcements from third parties first year. Also, let's not ignore that the Switch is a portable Nintendo system, pretending it's just a successor to the Wii U to justify the lack of tp support isn't fair.

Maybe because the 3DS was a direct successor to only perhaps the second best selling console of all time, and one that Japanese developers treated like royalty. The Switch meanwhile, is coming off Nintendo's worst preforming platforms in recent memory, and was met with uncertainty in an era of smartphone gaming.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe because the 3DS was a direct successor to only perhaps the second best selling console of all time, and one that Japanese developers treated like royalty. The Switch meanwhile, is coming off Nintendo's worst preforming platforms in recent memory, and was met with uncertainty in an era of smartphone gaming.
They were skeptical of the 3DS too and it had a poor launch performance, with Nintendo even having to cut the price in only a few months, while Switch sold above expectations with a high price. Yet it's still not getting many big announcements. I mean, the biggest third party success for Switch is a Mario game and only another one sold more than 1M and these companies want their games to sell millions, I don't think they wil focus on a system that isn't providing these numbers.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ehh, the "They began development before Switch existed" does not apply to most Japanese games and we've already seen at least one example where that definitely can't be true. Fate/Extella was released in November 2016, and got a port to Switch in July 2017(which is performing well according to MMV). The sequel Fate/Extella Link is not releasing on Switch.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
3DS had bigger Japanese announcements it's first year than PS4 or any other current or recently past system too. The last one that was better was probably PS2.

OP
OP
TheMisterManGuy
Oct 27, 2017
They were skeptical of the 3DS too and it had a poor launch performance, with Nintendo even having to cut the price in only a few months, while Switch sold above expectations with a high price. Yet it's still not getting many big announcements. I mean, the biggest third party success for Switch is a Mario game and only another one sold more than 1M and these companies want their games to sell millions, I don't think they wil focus on a system that isn't providing these numbers.

That was only after it started struggling at retail. But pre-launch, they were onboard with the 3DS. I mean, before launch, the 3DS had Dead or Alive, Metal Gear Solid, Kingdom Hearts, and Resident Evil all confirmed. Again, it was coming off the DS, the second best selling console ever, and the best selling platform of its generation, many developers instantly thought it'd be the same level of success. Turned out that wasn't the case.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
It had confirmed AAA announcements in its first year and everybody knew it would get support from these companies, but it's getting even more than we expected. Like you said, the PS4 now has even Dragon Quest and Monster Hunter, with smaller companies like Atlus even trying to make more games for it after their big success on the platform. I don't think the Switch can compete with that. These titles will make third parties just think it's not worth to try to get safe sales from the japanese market, when they can chase the big western console dream.

I think you are completely missing the point here.
We are talking about more jpn publisher content on the Switch because its a viable plattform - not some dick waving contest against the PS4.
Yes, Switch will never the PS4...it cant because it would have to compensate for 4 years less on the market.

"PS$ now even has DQ and MH".... and ? Honestly this just sounds like these cringe console war BS discussions about console a loosing a series even though the game still appears on that system. MH (XX) is on Switch as well, likely not the last one. DQ (X/Builders/Heroes) are on Switch as well, likely not the last one, Atlus is preparing SMT4 on Switch, likely not their last Switch title, Bamco is preparing Dark Souls R in addition to Switch exclusives, likely not their last titles, we just had CC2 unveil their roadmap for their upcoming - the titles are multiplattform including Switch, Level 5 is on board....hell even YS8 is being brought over happening. The next Disgaea title will probably be multi as well.

But lets ignore all development on that side because the PS4 is getting more games.

I also love how the discussions was first about jpn support in general...and now its suddenly jpn AAA support.
Whatever its supposed to mean.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ehh, the "They began development before Switch existed" does not apply to most Japanese games and we've already seen at least one example where that definitely can't be true. Fate/Extella was released in November 2016, and got a port to Switch in July 2017(which is performing well according to MMV). The sequel Fate/Extella Link is not releasing on Switch.
I very much doubt this will be something common going forward. It says more about the individual dev / publisher than anything else.

v2_0

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How is that unfair? It is totally logical that third parties will base their futur development choices on this kind of stuff. On what other aspects do you think they will make these decisions?

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think you are completely missing the point here.
We are talking about more jpn publisher content on the Switch because its a viable plattform - not some dick waving contest against the PS4.
Yes, Switch will never the PS4...it cant because it would have to compensate for 4 years less on the market.

"PS$ now even has DQ and MH".... and ? Honestly this just sounds like these cringe console war BS discussions about console a loosing a series even though the game still appears on that system. MH (XX) is on Switch as well, likely not the last one. DQ (X/Builders/Heroes) are on Switch as well, likely not the last one, Atlus is preparing SMT4 on Switch, likely not their last Switch title, Bamco is preparing Dark Souls R in addition to Switch exclusives, likely not their last titles, we just had CC2 unveil their roadmap for their upcoming - the titles are multiplattform including Switch, Level 5 is on board....hell even YS8 is being brought over happening. The next Disgaea title will probably be multi as well.

But lets ignore all development on that side because the PS4 is getting more games.

I also love how the discussions was first about jpn support in general...and now its suddenly jpn AAA support.
Whatever its supposed to mean.
It's not a contest, it's just that franchises tipically releasing on Nintendo portables aren't releasing on it anymore. How is that console war? It's just a fact that even portable third parties are going away from it. Japanese AAA shows to other third parties the money that can be made on the PS4 and, because of how different Switch is from it, I don't see many multiplat titles releasing on both systems. Like Oregano said before, the new Fate Extella game is already skipping it and focusing on Sony platforms and that's a niche title. Atlus has SMTV, ok, but they're making more games for PS4 and these will be exclusive.

What I'm saying is: even the companies that supported DS/3DS are not supporting the Switch and somehow we're expecting other companies to suddenly start Nintendo support now?

How is that unfair? It is totally logical that third parties will base their futur development choices on this kind of stuff. On what other aspects do you think they will make these decisions?
Because Switch is a portable Nintendo system like I said? These always sell well. You can't just say "oh, it doesn't have third party support because it's following the Wii U". It's more about a change in the market (GaaS, bigger western focus, games aimed at Japan going mobile, etc), imo.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
At the very least, the device deserves more support than it is currently getting (which while understandable after the Wii U, this is not the Wii U), so we see that if games like Doom can run decently, many other games should be possible on the system. I doubt people would have been so against Nvidia Shield getting more AAA support if it proved to be able to handle graphically intensive games (which it already has ports of Tomb Raider (2013), Metro 2033 Redux, Metro Last Light Redux, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, etc.) and had the install base/sales to justify it, yet this is Nintendo and a "portable" so some people can't accept it. I've seen enough people say that they believe accounting for a Switch version would hold back other versions, but it's not like it's been a huge problem that the Xbox One has "held back" the PS4 version, so it doesn't make sense for people to shout down Switch ports of a game every chance they get as if supporting another successful console will be a bad thing for the industry.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Because people want to play both Nintendo's games and third party games without paying for two systems?

Yeah it's really this simple. Consoles are expensive. Not everyone has money to buy two. I think people feel it would be nice to spend money on one and get to enjoy the same third party games that PS4 gets, for example. I struggle to see how people don't at least understand the mere desire for this. Like, I don't ever think Nintendo will ever compete with Sony or Microsoft for raw power, but I can at least see why someone who buys a switch, or would consider buying a switch, would be bummed or turned off by the fact that he or she doesn't also get to play some top third party exclusives on the switch. Instead they then realize they have the buy an Xbox or ps4 for that.

This just in: People don't like to spend tons and tons of money.

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
A few posts are like "why would you want this one Switch?"

But no one asks "why do you want this on PS4?" After all, PC's exist. But no, the one platform that can play games portably is the one that's under scrutiny.

Then we also seem to jumping straight to AAA games from the west. When in reality, the Switch will always benefit more from Japanese 3rd parties. Things like Mohun, Final Fantasy, Street Fighter, NieR, Kingdom Hearts, Megaman, Sonic, Code Vein, Vanillaware games, Persona, Digimon, Dragon Ball.

Alllll those are 3rd party and would probably be more valuable to the Switch library than Western AAA, which may or may not run, anyways (but have been shown to run).
Pretty much all that needs to be said. Portability (and the ability to seamlessly transition to a big-screen experience) may not be a big deal for some, but it's an important selling point for many even with worse IQ/performance. Personally, I'll take the Switch's flexibility over the traditional console experience for everything but a competitive fighter that can't maintain a consistent 60 FPS, as long as the game is decently playable.

Last edited:

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Personally I see no need to buy games that are just ports of games I can play better on any other device I own than the switch, defeats the purpose to play Doom at low settings locked to 30 fps when I have a PC capable of running it at 140+ fps 1440p max settings.

It makes more sense to get ports of games that are less bound to graphic fidelity like The Binding of Isaac, Stardew Valley and Hotline Miami, it feels like less of a compromise with games like those.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's not a contest, it's just that franchises tipically releasing on Nintendo portables aren't releasing on it anymore. How is that console war? It's just a fact that even portable third parties are going away from it. Japanese AAA shows to other third parties the money that can be made on the PS4 and, because of how different Switch is from it, I don't see many multiplat titles releasing on both systems. Like Oregano said before, the new Fate Extella game is already skipping it and focusing on Sony platforms and that's a niche title. Atlus has SMTV, ok, but they're making more games for PS4 and these will be exclusive.

What I'm saying is: even the companies that supported DS/3DS are not supporting the Switch and somehow we're expecting other companies to suddenly start Nintendo support now?
Regarding DQ: confirmed to be coming to Switch.

Regarding MH: already released on Switch, even if late port. MHW not coming easily explained by late in dev process + Capcom obviously not having any faith in Switch. They are currently course correcting after this blunder.

I wouldn't use a niche game like Fate Extella to say anything. The Switch port was probably a low effort cash grab. Just a pub to add to ignore list until they get their head out of their ass. Hardly the norm.

Starting support now makes sense after we've figured out Switch isn't just not a hit in Japan but worldwide and most games coming to it sells well. Pretty sure most japanese games in a year will be Switch and PS4 multiplat unless technical reasons or franchises already grown on Sony systems mainly.

Deleted member 3853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because people want to play both Nintendo's games and third party games without paying for two systems?

Ya pretty much. Only bought like 7 games for my Wii U. Nintendo rarely haven't decent sales on their games, both on their store and at retailers, is also a big negative for me. Like, I'm not going to spend twice or more for some indie game than what I can find on steam or even the other platforms.

I'd also want MS/Xbox to go third party because I'd end up buying about the same amount of games and even though the games can be found cheaper, I'd still have to pay for XBL which I'm really not interested in.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I very much doubt this will be something common going forward. It says more about the individual dev / publisher than anything else.

Sure, it could be. I guess we'll see, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's a lot of headscratchers.

I also wouldn't be surprised if there's a lot of late ports that really could've/should've released with the other versions.

EDIT:
Regarding DQ: confirmed to be coming to Switch.

Regarding MH: already released on Switch, even if late port. MHW not coming easily explained by late in dev process + Capcom obviously not having any faith in Switch. They are currently course correcting after this blunder.

I wouldn't use a niche game like Fate Extella to say anything. The Switch port was probably a low effort cash grab. Just a pub to add to ignore list until they get their head out of their ass. Hardly the norm.

Starting support now makes sense after we've figured out Switch isn't just not a hit in Japan but worldwide and most games coming to it sells well. Pretty sure most japanese games in a year will be Switch and PS4 multiplat unless technical reasons or franchises already grown on Sony systems mainly.

Ehh, the bolded kinda describes 90% of Japanese third party games.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sure, it could be. I guess we'll see, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's a lot of headscratchers.

I also wouldn't be surprised if there's a lot of late ports that really could've/should've released with the other versions.
I mean, making money and then deciding to not make money is hardly a common decision. Maybe they plan to release another port after the PS4 game is out.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017

What franchises would that be ? Fate certainly isnt one of the IPs that would usually appear on a Nintendo system.
Atlus has managed to release one PS4 RPG after 4 years...a game that is actually a PS3 game. And you are gonna cry foul because they havent unveiled a dozens of Switch titles yet ? They are also still publishing 3DS titles. Not every dev will leave and stop whatever they had planned just because of the Switch.

Also you cant bring up AAA jpn projects and then talk about Marvelous Fate Extella game.

You say Switch isnt getting IPs that usually appeared on Nintendo systems - i dont know which ones you are talking about. Even if thats the case...why are you ignoring IPs its getting that werent viable on Nintendo systems - especially their home consoles before ?

Feels like you are missing the big picture here - pretty much every relevant jpn publisher is supporting the system and has plans for it.

TheDeep1974

Oct 26, 2017
To be honest as an owner of both a PS4 and Switch I rather buy multi platform titles on the latter but sometimes I'm wary of the fact that a game may be technically be inferior....

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
People don't like having multiple ecosystems to support. If Nintendo went 3rd party, they would make games for PlayStation. I don't care what their PR says. Shareholders would demand it. That said, Switch had an amazing 2017. They're not going to give up on being a platform holder for a long time. So we might as well just forget about it and get used to either buying multiple consoles or missing great games.

v2_0

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Because Switch is a portable Nintendo system like I said? These always sell well. You can't just say "oh, it doesn't have third party support because it's following the Wii U". It's more about a change in the market (GaaS, bigger western focus, games aimed at Japan going mobile, etc), imo.
The kind of support the PS4 gets is also terrible as well if you compare it to what the PS2 got. That's the thing with new gens : the development costs increase by a lot and as a result much less games can be released. In terms of development costs Switch is much more a Wii U successor than a 3DS one and many games that were on 3DS just couldn't be profitable any more. So what is really unfair is to compare the support from different gens. On the other hand if you look at the situation globally today there is probably much less games that will skip the Switch in the coming years than the ones that didn't release on Wii U and even 3DS in the past.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
smh, People always ask for exclusives to justify a console purchase, but when a game they want doesn't come to their prefered platform, they'd just portbeg.
What's up with go where the games are?

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is this hyperbole: the thread?

90% is hyperbole but a significant chunk of existing/surviving japanese IPs have had next to no presence on Nintendo platforms.

In terms of brand coverage Switch is probably better than latter-day 3DS actually even if it lacks anything major.

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because it doesnt matter how good the hardware is if it doesnt have the games people want to play. Thankfully it doesnt sound like that will be an issue though

sinonobu

Oct 25, 2017
smh, People always ask for exclusives to justify a console purchase, but when a game they want doesn't come to their prefered platform, they'd just portbeg.
What's up with go where the games are?
To be fair not everyone has money to get multiple consoles, and it's not like people are asking for exclusive games to come over but third party games.

But in the end, if you want third party games, Nintendo consoles are not the best way to go.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What franchises would that be ? Fate certainly isnt one of the IPs that would usually appear on a Nintendo system.
Atlus has managed to release one PS4 RPG after 4 years...a game that is actually a PS3 game. And you are gonna cry foul because they havent unveiled a dozens of Switch titles yet ? They are also still publishing 3DS titles. Not every dev will leave and stop whatever they had planned just because of the Switch.

Also you cant bring up AAA jpn projects and then talk about Marvelous Fate Extella game.

You say Switch isnt getting IPs that usually appeared on Nintendo systems - i dont know which ones you are talking about. Even if thats the case...why are you ignoring IPs its getting that werent viable on Nintendo systems - especially their home consoles before ?

Feels like you are missing the big picture here - pretty much every relevant jpn publisher is supporting the system and has plans for it.
They're supporting it so much they had 0 relevant games for it this holiday and the best selling third party titles have low numbers. Like I said, Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest show how much Switch will lack in third party sales. At best it gets downports/late ports, at worst it's simply not having these franchises on it anymore.

Switch has only one Atlus title announced for it (and Atlus is hiring for more PS4 titles, already having P5 and other titles announced), niche games like Senran Kagura and Fate are not having their latest mainline entries on it, Bandai Namco/Level 5/Capcom all had very poor releases/announcements, etc. It's not looking good for the system and I think "Switch only sells first party games" may end up being a self fulfilling prophecy for these japanese companies.

The kind of support the PS4 gets is also terrible as well if you compare it to what the PS2 got. That's the thing with new gens : the development costs increase by a lot and as a result much less games can be released. In terms of development costs Switch is much more a Wii U successor than a 3DS one and many games that were on 3DS just couldn't be profitable any more. So what is really unfair is to compare the support from different gens. On the other hand if you look at the situation globally today there is probably much less games that will skip the Switch in the coming years than the ones that didn't release on Wii U and even 3DS in the past.
Development cost is a good point, but the lack of support (even for announcements) is bizarre when sales are this good. I think the system is too different from PS4 to get many ports, but they still think it's too expensive to make games for it instead of mobile, so I'm not expecting much.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Because the Switch finally allows video games to join music and movies in the sense of "bring your media anywhere with you."

It's why you saw so many threads pop up on neogaf shortly after the Switch became a hit asking if Sony or Microsoft would put out switch-like versions of their consoles. People want to be able to access their purchases at all times. It's just how the world works now.

I think another factor is the games just have to look "good enough" to a large chunk of people. I've brought this up before, but I remember when Netflix started picking up steam and it left a bunch of hardcore people asking "How can people enjoy this quality? It's way below a blu-ray?" And the fact is, it doesn't matter as much as you think.

Now do I think the Switch will eventually have every big release? Of course not. Some games just aren't scalable. But as the Switch evolves and if it takes on an incremental upgrade path, my guess is you'll see a lot more 3rd party stuff day and date on the Switch.

Boney

Oct 28, 2017
Santiago
It helps Nintendo's own games be stronger. Either because having more releases gives them the time to work on their own game without the risk of starving the user base and killing the hardware or because it'll provide certain goals to compete (like MHTri being the bar for Skyward Sword).

Having healthy hardware helps the software developers. If there's healthy software sales, there's a good development environment for all parties involved. But that requires a hefty investment from all parts involved, but with the Switch selling like hot cakes, it requires significant less investment from third parties to foster a good eco system for themselves.

vrcsix

Oct 29, 2017
Because Nintendo makes the most interesting consoles, and it would be cool to see what third parties could do with all the cool features of said consoles?

Donkusei

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
No, it would be the same and it would get crushed by Sony once again
You know, for me, if the Switch is a success it's not because of the concept. I think Switch is a success because of the hype for the games, Zelda BOTW at first. But also because Nintendo has changed his communication, for the Wii U it was boring but for the Switch the super bowl ad was great, the red logo is back (actually white logo on red)... I think a console without any gimmick would get the same success, maybe even more (because could get many more games from third-party, and not with old graphics).

Yes, it's far from PS4 or even Xbox One, but the Switch is technically a handheld.

You can't just have the power of a console that pulls 150W in a tiny handheld that pulls <15W.
We know it, but maybe I didn't ask for it? I mean, I understand that people who play a lot in the portable mode are happy with this hardware but as a home gaming console, this system is weak. More than that: some games aren't available on Switch because of that.

Since 2006, I buy the Nintendo systems for the games... But I can't say that I'm happy with the hardware choices.

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
You know, for me, if the Switch is a success it's not because of the concept. I think Switch is a success because of the hype for the games, Zelda BOTW at first. But also because Nintendo has changed his communication, for the Wii U it was boring but for the Switch the super bowl ad was great, the red logo is back (actually white logo on red)... I think a console without any gimmick would get the same success, maybe even more (because could get many more games from third-party, and not with old graphics).
But it -is- a success due to the concept. It's a home console-quality handheld which is something people have wanted since handhelds were first released in the late eighties. Obviously the sensational games have been instrumental in its success, but the hardware itself is a sexy piece of tech that sells itself. Just a few weeks ago I was playing Mario Odyssey on a plane...that right there is the reason it's selling like hot cakes.

The dream of a beastly Nintendo console that's on parity with PS/Xbox is exactly that, a dream. And seeing as how all we have to go off is the Gamecube, who's to say all games would come to the console anyway? Gamecube had decent third party support but still paled in comparison to the competition (even Xbox which was a completely new player in the market).

N00MKRAD

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

We know it, but maybe I didn't ask for it? I mean, I understand that people who play a lot in the portable mode are happy with this hardware but as a home gaming console, this system is weak. More than that: some games aren't available on Switch because of that.

Since 2006, I buy the Nintendo systems for the games... But I can't say that I'm happy with the hardware choices.

If you aren't happy with the HW choices - what else would you have chosen?

Or do you mean they should've ditched the hybrid concept?

Vadara

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel when people say "Nintendo has no third party games" they just, like, don't count Japanese games at all. Also with the indies on Switch doing incredibly well, I have a feeling that the Switch will not be hurting for non-Nintendo games (even if indies "don't count" as third-party for some reason).

Malakai

Oct 27, 2017

In terms, of the reviews scores that of those launch 3DS games received, the 3DS was treated as a dumping grounds by third parties. They damn near sabotaged the platform after Nintendo held back first party releases.