• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
Switch is a great console and deserves great games. Not saying the Nintendo output and indies aren't great, just saying if devs can port it to switch, it would be great to have more great games

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It seems to me that some Nintendo fans see third party ports as a sign of legitimacy in the console wars. "No one can make fun of Nintendo if they've got Grand Theft Auto!".

The Boat

Oct 28, 2017
People want to play games on the hardware they bought and they like being able to play anywhere. The fact that there's hardware capable of better graphics doesn't mean some people don't want to play blockbusters on the go, even if it's with worse graphical fidelity.
There is no rule that says "Switch is for 1st party and cheap indie games", only on your head. Whether "that's the point" or not, is beyond irrelevant, especially since no one thinks the Switch will be the "premiere platform for 3rd party games" (whatever that means), just because they want more games to be ported.

It's port-begging taken to the extreme in the hopes of hiding that it's port-begging.
How dare people post about wanting a game instead of adhering to an absurd rule created in an online forum. They better shut their goddamn mouths, port begging is a sin!

Last edited:

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I like gaming comfortably and the mobility of the switch has aallowed me to play and beat a Bunche of games I couldn't have otherwise, so yeah I'd love to see some more third party games, especially where mobility is a major factor like fighting games. Although I'm also open to the resurgence of focused exclusive third party games like the GameCube days with rogue squadron

Lwill

Oct 28, 2017
Because people want to play both Nintendo's games and third party games without paying for two systems?

True.
Because the Switch is selling very well unlike the Wii U and the Switch is not that far off in terms of power from the other consoles so ports of big AAA games are generally possible.

True too. In the case of the Switch, there are posters/gamers that are legitably interested in a portable version of AAA games, and some are willing to even double dip for that.

freakybj

Oct 26, 2017
The lack of AAA 3rd party support remains a glaring weakness for Nintendo. You can't really spin it into a positive. It's not good for it to be thought of as just a console for Nintendo first party games. Without strong 3rd party support, most people will buy a Switch to complement another console or PC. Very few will want to just own a Switch and no other platforms and be satisfied with that. If someone told me I can only keep 1 of my platforms out of PC, Switch, and PS4...the Switch would be the 1st to go.

Oct 25, 2017
Considering there's been almost no games last month and this month I don't blame them. Also the fact that quite a few of these remasters that were announced recently should have no issues running on Switch is what irks me. Switch owners are getting scraps and not the major games they're actually asking for. Capcom and others are still "testing" switch owners for no reason at this point. Switch should be considered for its own versions of future multiplatform games. When PS2/OGXbox/DS/PSP shared multiplat games with PS3/360 they had their own versions made for them. I guess since games are more expensive to make now they are finding it harder to justify different versions of their games.

Also the power issue: Switch is not a weakling sure but it released in a time where developers are catering to 4K graphics. Switch is now screwed and won't be getting multiplatform games targeting other hardware(unless it's an anime game). There should be a switch+ or something down the line to help it get actual 3rd party support.

Oct 29, 2017
? Last month Switch had Xenoblade 2, when the other consoles had "no games". Or you mean the coming month? Fair enough if you had a Wii U.

Also no devs are catering to 4K.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
It seems to me that some Nintendo fans see third party ports as a sign of legitimacy in the console wars. "No one can make fun of Nintendo if they've got Grand Theft Auto!".

It's more like they want to play GTA but would prefer not to have to buy another console to do so lol. No need to overcomplicate it. "Legitimacy in console wars" isn't something normal people think about.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Because the Switch is selling very well unlike the Wii U and the Switch is not that far off in terms of power from the other consoles so ports of big AAA games are generally possible.

There's a sizable power gulf between them and that has only increased with the advent of the PRO and XBX.

I adore my Switch but when you look at something like Horizon: Zero Dawn running on just the vanilla PS4 hardware, it's pretty clear the Switch is essentially a full generation behind, graphically speaking.

Nov 11, 2017
Software
They will automatically get all the third party support needed, that combined with Nintendo's first party games will make them be the #1 place to play them on because everyone wants Nintendo's games.
Bold statement. I know this might sound crazy to you but there are actually a ton of people who prefer Sony FPT..

And why are you overcomplicating things. I want more games on my switch. Especially AAA. Simple as that..

Pekola

Oct 27, 2017
A few posts are like "why would you want this one Switch?"

But no one asks "why do you want this on PS4?" After all, PC's exist. But no, the one platform that can play games portably is the one that's under scrutiny.

Then we also seem to jumping straight to AAA games from the west. When in reality, the Switch will always benefit more from Japanese 3rd parties. Things like Mohun, Final Fantasy, Street Fighter, NieR, Kingdom Hearts, Megaman, Sonic, Code Vein, Vanillaware games, Persona, Digimon, Dragon Ball.

Alllll those are 3rd party and would probably be more valuable to the Switch library than Western AAA, which may or may not run, anyways (but have been shown to run).

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's more like they want to play GTA but would prefer not to have to buy another console to do so lol. No need to overcomplicate it. "Legitimacy in console wars" isn't something normal people think about.
GTA5 came out many years ago now. I suspect a high percentage of Switch owners already own a console to play that game.

Maybe "console wars" is a strong term, but there definitely seem to be people who are concerned about the image of Nintendo consoles as "kid things", and they see third party ports as a means to squash that criticism.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
GTA5 came out many years ago now. I suspect a high percentage of Switch owners already own a console to play that game.

Of course, I'm one of those people. Completed it years ago and would never dream of getting it again on switch. I would still be kinda happy to see it come though purely because it would do well and a lot of Nintendo fans haven't played it yet. Still has no relation to console wars.

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's a sizable power gulf between them and that has only increased with the advent of the PRO and XBX.

I adore my Switch but when you look at something like Horizon: Zero Dawn running on just the vanilla PS4 hardware, it's pretty clear the Switch is essentially a full generation behind, graphically speaking.
Of course there is rather large gap, but that gap is not so big that compromises outside of visual effects and resolution must be made. And Pro and XBX just offer resolution upgrades, the games still are running on the base editions of the consoles and therebefore, are possible on the Switch as well, although with lower resolution and reduced shadow maps etc.

I think proof that every third party game can run on the Switch is Dragon Quest 11 which runs at 900p30 on PS4 with drops below 30, so that is a very demanding title (even more so than FF15 which runs at a dynamic resolution above 900p). Thereotically, this shouldn't be possible at all on the Switch and yet here we are.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Fanboy wars, if your console has all the 3rd party games, then that provides more ammunition for why they justify your console of choice.

Dogo Mojo

Oct 27, 2017
I can say that for myself the last Nintendo platforms that I loved (NES/SNES) were because of third parties like Capcom, Konami, Square Enix, etc. I was more of a Sega kid to begin with but once most of the games I cared about started migrating to Sony platforms I didn't even give Nintendo consoles a second thought. Other then Zelda, Pokemon and now the Xeno games Nintendos first party has never really blown my skirt up.

I really like the Switch overall because it's been fun to play stuff like Mario kart with my kids, but if I had to choose one of the three available consoles as my primary the Switch would be my second choice and their only ahead of Microsoft because you can play their games on PC, I've never taken the Switch out of the dock so it's portability means nothing to me.

Last edited:

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I have a PC so I don't have the issue of a lack of 3rd party support. But its nice not to have to buy an extra console to play what most publishers are making.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Of course there is rather large gap, but that gap is not so big that compromises outside of visual effects and resolution must be made. And Pro and XBX just offer resolution upgrades, the games still are running on the base editions of the consoles and therebefore, are possible on the Switch as well, although with lower resolution and reduced shadow maps etc.

I think proof that every third party game can run on the Switch is Dragon Quest 11 which runs at 900p30 on PS4 with drops below 30, so that is a very demanding title (even more so than FF15 which runs at a dynamic resolution above 900p). Thereotically, this shouldn't be possible at all on the Switch and yet here we are.

Eehh, that's not necessarily true and we haven't seen DQXI Switch yet to really judge either way.

The bigger point is that publishers(especially Japanese ones) are still making a lot of stuff that would be possible on Switch and yet are still skipping the platform. In some cases even when they can't really argue about it being an audience mismatch.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Maybe a reminiscence of WiiU's failure, and the chilliness of big publishers to dedicate team at producing Switch-only game like Ubisoft did with their X-COMario, while planing games on the same technical plan for PC/XBOX/PS4 is easier. But if 2018 is still a sucess for the Switch, I will continue to believe about an Hearthstone and Diablo 3 port ;)

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
1. Owning a Switch has changed the way a lot of people' perspectives on portability. They reconsider how they enjoy some of their favorite series and think about what it would mean to be able to take those games with them in a convenient form.
2. The Switch is now within striking distance of some higher profile releases due to having a more modern architecture than the Wii or Wii U. The power gap is still a real factor, but the similarities to both mobile and modern Nvidia GPUs make it much more feasible.

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Personally i was always satisfied with my playstation + nintendo consoles etc. But for true Nintendo only gamers or people that only have time or can afford 1 it would be indeed cool to have decent third party support atleast sure ps+xbox like support will be hard to ask for but i think a decent support third party wise would be very neat for everyone really.

weblaus

Oct 27, 2017
No, please. Tell me how unplayable Doom is and how many enemies and gameplay mechanics were cutted from the game.

You already said that you don't care at all about technical quality, so I won't bother anymore and instead go watch a effects-heavy action movie on a 5-inch b/w portable TV with a mono speaker instead of a 55-inch screen and 5.1 since that's essentially just as fine because I can use the former on the toilet as well and the content is just the same.

Casual

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The more consoles something is on the better I suppose.

I'll never use my Nintendo consoles for much more than Nintendo games though. At this point the Switch limits 3rd parties in ways PS4/XB1 don't. Both from a power perspective and from an OS/System level. Shit, it's almost a year since launch and Nintendo still hasn't gotten their shit together at an OS/Online level yet.... It's been like that for a few gens now, so I don't expect it to change.

There's some exceptions...indie games/older ports don't suffer as much from the above, so sometimes I'll still get those on Switch. I also don't really care for portability, so most times buying on Switch just means worse graphics/framerate/online features with no real benefit.

Jaal

Oct 28, 2017
Because people want to play both Nintendo's games and third party games without paying for two systems?

People have to realize that living in 1994 is a delusional thing. If you want all the third party titles, and i mean ALL ( indie, AAA and japanese games) Switch is not the system for you.

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Until we get one unified platform for games this wont happen. Maybe in 2030.

For today people need to accept you need 2-3 gaming devices/consoles catered to your gaming needs and interests if you want to cover most of the good games out there. No system out right now gets everything. Besides competition is good for the market.

How dare people post about wanting a game instead of adhering to an absurd rule created in an online forum. They better shut their goddamn mouths, port begging is a sin!

That's nice and all but we are bound by the terms of service of this site when we registered. Those are the rules.

freakybj

Oct 26, 2017
1. Owning a Switch has changed the way a lot of people' perspectives on portability. They reconsider how they enjoy some of their favorite series and think about what it would mean to be able to take those games with them in a convenient form.
2. The Switch is now within striking distance of some higher profile releases due to having a more modern architecture than the Wii or Wii U. The power gap is still a real factor, but the similarities to both mobile and modern Nvidia GPUs make it much more feasible.
I've been negative on iterative consoles, but I would support a Switch Pro if it meant more 3rd party support.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I want more 3rd party support as a Switch only gamer but I'm keeping a simple rule. If a game isn't coming to Switch I pretend it doesn't exist. If a game comes to Switch I at least look up to see if it's something I might be interested in. If 3rd parties care about my sales they'll release on Switch.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I agree and obviously, games can be scaled. I just find the argument by some that the Switch is close to the other consoles to be incredibly disingenuous.

zoukka

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Soloed Teostra on my second try. That was the most intense fight in the game so far goddamn.

HaNotsri

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I realize it wouldn't be profitable for Nintendo to develop different systems and that the battery time is the real bottleneck.

But I would easily spend 1000 bucks on a high end Nintendo console.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
User Warned: Let's cool it with the console warring
Ask the handful of fanboys that create a thread every time anyone tweets about being happy with the sales of their game on Switch. Nintendo fans are the only ones that do it and it's weird as fuck.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ask the handful of fanboys that create a thread every time anyone tweets about being happy with the sales of their game on Switch. Nintendo fans are the only ones that do it and it's weird as fuck.
The fact that indie games are breaking sale records on the Switch is big industry wide news. Indies need all sales they can get.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
The fact that indie games are breaking sale records on the Switch is big industry wide news. Indies need all sales they can get.
Breaking records? Most of the tweets don't even give numbers. A fact I suspect pleases most of the posters because then they can let their imagination run wild.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
The power gap is smaller than it's been in 15 years, 3rd party sales are better than they've been in 25 years and Switch actually offers something unique in terms of convenience and use case versus other consoles. It's not really a surprise there's demand for more 3rd party games on the platform.

I don't think Switch needs to be the base for all 3rd party software, but I do think it should be getting more than it is. A lot of that comes down to traditional publishers betting against it upfront and taking their time course correcting that. More is coming.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
My Dream:
  1. Nintendo first party
  2. Nigh complete Japanese support, including (multiplatform) gains from other ecosystems, e.g. Persona, mainline RE, Falcom, etc. Maybe mainline FF? IDK, don't care that much about it atm. But I also want these games to flourish and for Japan to find both refreshed and new success at home and abroad.
  3. Wide selection of indie games.
  4. More niche western support, like the non-TES, non-Fallout stuff Bethesda is publishing.
On a hybrid system.

This plus PC would have me completely covered.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
1) Non-exclusive games can be released on "any" platform.
2) If a game is playable (good enough performances) and the maker don't lose money, why not add a popular platform.

And... I think that's enough.

GoldenKings

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know if I would call it port begging but then again I really don't mind port begging unless it's first party software.

Tarextherex

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Keep in mind, the seemingly no-brainier games like Monster Hunter or Soul Calibur 6 skipping the Switch is because those titles were in development for 2-3 years, before these developers even knew what the Switch even was. Now that the Switch is a runaway success, developers will keep it in mind when making titles going forward. But I do agree that shit like The Disney Afternoon Collection not coming is complete BS.

Honestly I'm always baffled at that, since 2015-ish while Nintendo were neglecting the Wii U you had all of those news about devs having NX dev kits. You'd expect games announced in 2017-2018 to come out for that platform too. At this point Switch at least deserves quick ports just like how promptly the Capcom five was ported to the PS2

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Man, I must have imagined all those sales threads on titles appearing on different systems.

How strange.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'd like to win the lottery too. Reality doesn't care what I want though.

If you buy a nintendo platform after all this time and are still expecting most third party games then I just don't know what to tell you. It's beyond delusional at this point after ~20 years of them not having great third party support. The switch cannot handle most of the non indie games coming out so no amount of begging and pestering companies is going to fix that.

The premise of the OP annoys me; it implies that there's something odd or weird in wanting to see third parties treat a Nintendo system as an equal to consoles from other manufacturers.

It is weird, because they're not equal. They're not even close to being equal to the original xbox one which already struggles with a lot of current gen games, so there's no chance of these games coming to Switch.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
The premise of the OP annoys me; it implies that there's something odd or weird in wanting to see third parties treat a Nintendo system as an equal to consoles from other manufacturers. The underlying premise of the OP is, "Why won't those stupid Nintendo fanboys stay in their relegated ghetto? Don't they know their place?"

When, of course, the opposite tack makes much more sense -- why shouldn't third parties treat all manufacturers' systems equally and bring their games to as many systems as possible?

tumblr_lcuvdoPzue1qex8cto1_1280.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
I get it being something people want but I tend to have issues with people who expect it. Call me a cynic but I don't really see most big multi-platform games making it to the Switch given the history of third party presence on Nintendo platforms since the PSX days. I will say that there's a high probability of japanese developers having a Switch version of their games now, which is honestly better than I expected and something I'd be happy about.