• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RPGamer92

Oct 25, 2017
Been reading these books over the past week and man are they different from the show. What was this George RR Martin guy thinking when he made all these diverges from the TV show? HBO must be embarrassed.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely embarrassing, this Martin guy didn't even include the bad pussy line from season 5. What a disgrace

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Stannis I

He had the superior numbers and years of experience, but the Bolton bastard knew the north better than he ever could.

Tyene V

"But I am not a good girl," she thought to herself. "That is not what he needs." She whispered something salacious into Ser Bronn's ear.

Jon IV

"We will not survive this mission without Daenerys' help," Jon surmised. Gendry was the fastest in the party and could run back to Eastwatch within the hour. With any luck, the band could fight off the others until she arrived from Dragonstone.

ConanEd

Alt account
Banned
Dec 27, 2018
Season 1 is very close to the book.

You do realize TV show and book are very different medium?

Book can use an first person narrator, the show has to use a whore.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
R. R. Martin is basically the Toyotaro of the Game of Thrones franchise. Keep that hack and his "adaptation" far away.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
Stannis I

He had the superior numbers and years of experience, but the Bolton bastard knew the north better than he ever could.

Tyene V

"But I am not a good girl," she thought to herself. "That is not what he needs." She whispered something salacious into Ser Bronn's ear.

Jon IV

"We will not survive this mission without Daenerys' help," Jon surmised. Gendry was the fastest in the party and could run back to Eastwatch within the hour. With any luck, the band could fight off the others until she arrived from Dragonstone.

There should be a whole thread of this.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
You would need Simpsons amount of seasons if you want do adopt the same stuff as the books, you can't have all that detail, history, internal thought processes in to TV show, man.

It's still a good show if you don't compare it, it's HBO's number 1 show, they're anything but emberrased.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Euron VI

He emerged from the saltwater a new man. Alas, Theon and Asha had stolen his best ships. He would have to build a thousand more. "Where are my niece and nephew?" he asked. "Let's go murder them." The group marched up the hill.

itwasTuesday

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Do the books at least have the '8 pages in the middle with full color pictures from the show' in them?

Kapten

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
I know.

Read excerpts from it. Dude adds new plotpoints and characters and shit that are not even in the show.

Probably some of the worst adaptions I've read.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reek V

"I don't need an army," Ramsay sneered. "I just need twenty good men."

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
e9d.jpg

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
Euron VI

He emerged from the saltwater a new man. Alas, Theon and Asha had stolen his best ships. He would have to build a thousand more. "Where are my niece and nephew?" he asked. "Let's go murder them." The group marched up the hill.
Do one for Arya waltzing around Braavos with assassins looking for her.

fargodog

Banned
Feb 24, 2019
Fun fact, George R. R. Martin had never even owned a television before writing the first book. He worked from notes he had hastily scribbled down onto a sheet of baking paper during a frequently disconnecting phone conversation with the showrunners.

This explains the dramatic differences between the books and the television show, such as how the novels are flawed but often vivid depictions of subjective world building, combining political intrigue with an almost ambient, shadowy fantasy contrast, making them unique and intriguing. Meanwhile, the show took its own path, choosing to instead focus on being very, very bad.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Do one for Arya waltzing around Braavos with assassins looking for her.

Mercy XI

She could not bring herself to kill the mummer. Instead, she would use a bag of gold to book safe passage back to Westeros. Just then, a kindly old woman approached her with a friendly greeting. No sooner had the two locked eyes than the woman's knife entered Arya's stomach. The waif twisted the knife to prolong the Stark girl's agony. With blood pouring from her open wound, Arya leapt into the canal's murky water. She would have to find a place to hide. The actress she had saved had learned to stitch wounds from her many unfortunate encounters with ex-lovers.

The next morning, Arya awoke to find the woman she spared dead anyway. She jumped out of bed and bounded across the city, her open wound spewing into the streets. She chased her left, right, down a giant staircase, through a fruit stand, and finally into the dark alleyways below.

Finally, the waif encountered Arya in the darkest of rooms. Arya pulled out her needle. "That won't help you," sneered the Waif. Arya snuffed out the final candle's flame with her blade.

As she met the face of Jaqen H'gar in the House of Black and White, Arya paused to admire her handiwork on the wall. "So a girl is finally no one," the faceless man asked. "A girl is Arya Stark, and I'm going home," replied Arya.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jaime IV

Jaime and Bronn were quickly surrounded. As Jaime stepped in front of Myrcella, the first girl lunged forward with a spear, missing him entirely. Jaime parried with his good hand, but as the duel commenced he knew the girl with the whip was right behind, and he was surely cornered. Yet the killing blow never came. Instead, both girls danced around him like a cock strutting for a mate, twirling their weapons without making a move. Jaime glanced at Bronn, whose blade was caught between the tiny daggers of the third girl. Jaime found himself confused as to why Bronn had not yet severed the girl's head from her scrawny shoulders, or why the other two warriors had yet to kill him despite possessing a clear advantage, but his questions remained unanswered as a large man with a spear entered the gardens, flanked by guards, and roared for them to stop in the name of the prince. Knowing they were outnumbered, Jaime dropped his weapon, finding himself more confused than when he had entered.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Tommen XIV

The boy king pet Ser Pounce for the last time. He was too pure for this world. At a tender age of nine, so many decisions had been thrust upon him. What kind of king would he be? How could he overcome his brother's brutal legacy? He had lacked the courage to stand up to his mother or the faith militant, and watched in silent anguish as the sept crumbled to the ground with his beautiful wife inside.

He wanted to be a wise king, but instead he set his crown on the nearby dresser and stepped from the window.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
Three Eyed Raven V

He looked at Sansa Stark, the Lady of Winterfell, the girl Brandon Stark used to call sister. And fragments of memories puddled into his mind like raindrops into a bucket. He decided he would pour her a cup to nourish her thirst. "You were so beautiful that night. Snow falling, just like now."

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Sansa VI

Her sister had threatened her for the last time. With the bag of faces and numerous accusations of treachery against her own blood, the Lady of Winterfell called her sister into the Great Hall.

There stood Yohn Royce, Petyr Baelish, and many other Lords to await Sansa's judgment on the matter of her sister's apparent betrayal.

The room went silent. "Are you sure you want to do this?" asked Arya, as if daring her sister to cast judgment. "It's not about what I want," Sansa replied. "It's about what honour demands."

"And what does honour demand?" Arya asked with the utmost contempt. "That I defend my family from those who would harm us. That I defend the north from those who would betray us," answered Sansa.

"You stand accused of murder. You stand accused of treason. How do you answer these charges...Lord Baelish?"

Everyone turned to Lord Baelish. The ruse was successful.

Oct 27, 2017
Three Eyed Raven V

He looked at Sansa Stark, the Lady of Winterfell, the girl Brandon Stark used to call sister. And fragments of memories puddled into his mind like raindrops into a bucket. He decided he would pour her a cup to nourish her thirst. "You were so beautiful that night. Snow falling, just like now."
Fucking hell what a terrible show.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Fun fact, George R. R. Martin had never even owned a television before writing the first book. He worked from notes he had hastily scribbled down onto a sheet of baking paper during a frequently disconnecting phone conversation with the showrunners.

This explains the dramatic differences between the books and the television show, such as how the novels are flawed but often vivid depictions of subjective world building, combining political intrigue with an almost ambient, shadowy fantasy contrast, making them unique and intriguing. Meanwhile, the show took its own path, choosing to instead focus on being very, very bad.

I find that hard to believe considering he was writing TV episodes before he started writing ASOIAF. One of the reasons he started writing ASOIAF was because with books there are no financial limitations.

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
Arianne Martell was truly the saddest casualty of the novel to show transition.

Also, did I just post in a troll thread? @_@

fargodog

Banned
Feb 24, 2019
I find that hard to believe considering he was writing TV episodes before he started writing ASOIAF. One of the reasons he started writing ASOIAF was because with books there are no financial limitations.

You're taking my post, in which I talk about George R R Martin frantically writing down notes on baking paper. a little seriously.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Asha IV

The ironborn had won a narrow victory against the Bolton dregs, but Ramsay was still smiling. He looked at the invaders and remarked "You've got big balls, bigger than he ever did. But with those big balls, how fast can you run?" He opened the cages and unleashed several large dogs on the ironborn.

They would have to escape the Dreadfort's kennels and head back to the ships without their prince.

Nov 3, 2017
Mercy XI

She could not bring herself to kill the mummer. Instead, she would use a bag of gold to book safe passage back to Westeros. Just then, a kindly old woman approached her with a friendly greeting. No sooner had the two locked eyes than the woman's knife entered Arya's stomach. The waif twisted the knife to prolong the Stark girl's agony. With blood pouring from her open wound, Arya leapt into the canal's murky water. She would have to find a place to hide. The actress she had saved had learned to stitch wounds from her many unfortunate encounters with ex-lovers.

The next morning, Arya awoke to find the woman she spared dead anyway. She jumped out of bed and bounded across the city, her open wound spewing into the streets. She chased her left, right, down a giant staircase, through a fruit stand, and finally into the dark alleyways below.

Finally, the waif encountered Arya in the darkest of rooms. Arya pulled out her needle. "That won't help you," sneered the Waif. Arya snuffed out the final candle's flame with her blade.

As she met the face of Jaqen H'gar in the House of Black and White, Arya paused to admire her handiwork on the wall. "So a girl is finally no one," the faceless man asked. "A girl is Arya Stark, and I'm going home," replied Arya.

Even though GRRM dislikes fanfic, I think he'll like this one