• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like we always have to be told to call our elected officials to air a lot of valid grievances, and it's viewed like some untenable chore. I understand that lack of information and accessibility here is partially an issue. Calling, holding, waiting to get to the right person, etc is not convenient or appealing. But we already do this regularly. As customers, we contact stores and businesses, and navigate mazes of automated messages, endure long wait times on hold, and transfer from person to person when we have a complaint we need addressed regarding a product or a service. How and why is this culture of tenaciously following up on stuff lost from being a consumer to being a citizen? The stakes are much, much higher and way more important when it comes to the latter, and it's not like any of this is any more fun or convenient when we do it to businesses. What gives?

EDIT: Can mods replace "as a country" with "as Americans" instead in the title pls?

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
we let them buy their way out, or pry their way out with power. Or let the media help them lie their way out with spin.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Three reasons really; money, time and instant gratification. When people call businesses it's usually because there is a direct impact on their money and more often than not, you can get it resolved which is the instant gratification. On top of that, people are already doing that, working, taking care of their family, etc, so they don't have the time since it's not high on their priority list. You're talking about a task that someone has to go out of there way to do over other things that they need to do, and even when they do, there's no way to see the direct impact of their action as many things don't get voted on again, or things won't change until an election.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Because as a single person, you don't actually matter when tons of others blindly follow and vote for someone to put them in that position.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Even when mass calling situations happen most of the time their mailboxes just get full and they ignore it. I called and emailed my Republican rep multiple times and he never responded. Now he's out of office at least.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
My senators are Ted Cruz and John Cornyn and their answering machines are always full and they couldn't care less about emails (well, my emails anyway).

My congresswoman is Lizzie Fletcher, she's cool.

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Calling your representatives only works when you have representatives who care. Republicans don't care.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Because it's inconvenient, and most of us working job that doesn't allow for phone calls or days off. So we can't go out and protest.

So we continue living from paycheck-to-paycheck and hope it gets better next election.

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most don't care. They never get the message or read anything or even hold meetings and town halls. You can only vote and if the keep getting voted into office they'll just keep with that routine. They get paid no matter what.

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
Consumers will not give up their hard earned cash for second-rate foreign imported Moroccan rugs, and American citizens, well, the average county-lifer doesn't even know who the representative council members for their respective city and/or city wards and districts are. *shrug* But 'ey, TV marches on!!

Meanwhile...

Ahh, life as a squatter.

Last edited:

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
Calling your representatives only works when you have representatives who care. Republicans don't care.
It's nice to live in Ma.

I have some decent government representatives. Joe Kennedy III is pretty good, with the exception of his stance on marajuana which is extreme even compared to most of his constituents.

He held a phone town hall last week and I participated.

Neo C.

Nov 9, 2017
People need to understand that achieving things in a democracy is a life-long marathon. I see too many times how voters dropped the ball after they successfully put the right guys into the office instead of keep fighting for their goals.

This is not exclusive to the US, btw.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
It's nice to live in Ma.

I have some decent government representatives. Joe Kennedy III is pretty good, with the exception of his stance on marajuana which is extreme even compared to most of his constituents.

He held a phone town hall last week and I participated.
Can you please tell him to stop trying to primary one of the most progressive Senators we have for no fucking reason

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Because our representatives are the wealthy, and we'll never hold the wealthy accountable because deep down, we all want to be wealthy.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
You realize even if he's not your representative your free to contact him?
Of course but he's much more likely to listen to one of his actual constituents at a town hall than a random email or caller from out of state.

That being said my post was more just venting as he's not gonna stop running :(

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
Of course but he's much more likely to listen to one of his actual constituents at a town hall than a random email or caller from out of state.

That being said my post was more just venting as he's not gonna stop running :(
Generally I find him to be ok, I do think my state rep Brian Murray to be much more amenable to suggestion. He has a local office in town while JK III's office is like 20mi away.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
Because we typically have no leverage.

If they keep getting re-elected, then they have no reason to stop doing whatever they're doing. If they're in a vulnerable district/state/whatever, then maybe you can convince them to take a certain action out of fear of alienating their supporters, but that's kinda it.

Jun 10, 2018
I've long since thought Senators and Representatives should have term limits. By doing that, you could possibly eliminate some aspects of corruption due to a higher rate of turnover, and it will better incentivize these politicians to actually work for their constituents.

As it stands now, none of them feel pressured because as soon as they have a marketable name they can coast on getting reelected.