• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 32563

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Curious how this plays out. Will say I wish Lizzo was still on Twitter to get a response. Typically ones weight is no one else's business.

What y'all think?

ParmeSean

May 14, 2018
She puts out one and a half hour shows and turns it out, its not like she sits on her ass all day eating burgers. And we celebrate her, her music, her body, herself

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Curious to see if she has a problem with people who are unhealthily skinny being celebrated for their bodies.

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I somehow knew that there would some caveat, and when searching for who Lizzo was that became clear.

Adele is fine, Meghan Trainor too. Lizzo? No, that's too much.

You ain't being slick there chief.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Idk I feel like Lizzo knows she is overweight. Overweight people don't need to be told they're overweight. She shouldn't be shamed over her body until she gets to a healthier size. She is talented and her real body is different than average and good to see,

bevishead

Jan 9, 2018
while Lizzo isn't healthy I think her acceptance of herself goes a long way towards helping others who are overweight feel more confident. You are way less likely to start a weight loss journey if you are depressed.

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the problem with obesity in this country has much to do with people thinking there's nothing wrong with being obese.

Jul 18, 2018
Condition/disorder shaming ... they are just perpetuating the fears to get people to be behind their fitness programs. Anyone regardless of size can get it, that's why they specifically don't use words like increased risk, risk or at risk.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
If Lizzo was openly preaching some unhealthy habits then there might be room for debate, but I'm not aware of her doing anything like that so her weight and body type is her own damn business so Jillian can fuck off.

Oct 25, 2017
Meh, we shouldn't give this any attention.
Jillian Michaels prob said this on purpose to generate attention for her and her brand.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Who is saying Lizzo is perfectly healthy? It seens like these dumbasses want us to constantly attack obese people until they shut down

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Jillian Michaels is terrible and The Biggest Loser was (is?) incredibly dangerous and irresponsible.

Not to mention extremely fake - with aspects of"professional" weight losers. Same kind you see in those weird before and after shots where the same photographer apparently grabbed shots of a water-weight chubby guy and then his vascular transformation - where he was a fitness model/athlete who gained quick weight on purpose to create the spectacle in a counterintuitive way.

Also Jillian Michaels is a business that depends on overweight people feeling like shit. She's hardly an uninvested observer, let alone qualified medical professional.

bill crystals

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lizzo's success and confidence drives fat-shaming assholes absolutely insane. There are seemingly entire communities on Twitter dedicated to sharing jokes about her and just generally fat shaming her. I see a lot of it from the Cumtown/dirtbag-left-adjacent edgelord crowd.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
Listen just because someone is overweight doesn't mean they aren't healthy. As someone pointed out on Twitter her super fit coworker had a heart attack at the gym. It's just body shaming but acting like you care. She isn't a fucking doctor and has no clue what Lizzo's medical conditions are. I say this as someone who does workout and is relatively thin and people think I'm "super healthy" when I have quite a few health problems.

Lizzo is also just existing and happy with herself and it's so clear so many people have problems with bigger people just being happy in their skin. It's honestly pathetic.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Jillian, many of us aren't celebrating Lizzo's body, we're celebrating Lizzo's self love, something that you've struggled with in your life, too.

For some people they are celebrating Lizzo's body because that's their thing.

Reeks

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
She puts out one and a half hour shows and turns it out, its not like she sits on her ass all day eating burgers. And we celebrate her, her music, her body, herself
This. Her show was so high energy. She was getting it hard. I left feeling inspired af - I imagine it's how some religious people feel leaving church.

These assholes should see her live before they open their fat mouths.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
"Why do I even care?"

Opportunity for a moment of awareness there, but it passed.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This. Her show was so high energy. She was getting it hard. I left feeling inspired af - I imagine it's how some religious people feel leaving church.

These assholes should see her live before they open their fat mouths.
The shit she does on stage will leave others out of breath 5 mins in

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
If Lizzo was openly preaching some unhealthy habits then there might be room for debate, but I'm not aware of her doing anything like that so her weight and body type is her own damn business so Jillian can fuck off.

People preach and glorify "unhealthy habits" all the time, she wouldn't be wrong for telling people to enjoy eating delicious food that's high in sugar and fat. Same way alcohol, recreational drug use, and casual sex are glorified although most people are aware of the health drawbacks from such behavior. Basically, the ethos here is mind your own business like you said, even including if she promoted eating whatever you wanted. (I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, just expanding your point to include the caveat you made.)

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have no attraction or respect for being overweight
Also my attraction to someone is completely irrelevant and inconsequential. I don't need to be attracted to people and they don't need for me to be attracted to them.

I do not admire unconditional self love when it comes to being an unhealthy or immoral person
Also Lizzo's self love is none of my or anyone else's business. She can do whatever she wants with her own body. She didn't ask me or anyone else what we recommend for her body.

In short I do not celebrate, hate, or really concern myself with her body at all.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
Jillian Michaels' entire career is rooted in perpetuating a society where bigger folks feel ashamed of their bodies, so this comes as no surprise.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
People preach and glorify "unhealthy habits" all the time, she wouldn't be wrong for telling people to enjoy eating delicious food that's high in sugar and fat. Same way alcohol, recreational drug use, and casual sex are glorified although most people are aware of the health drawbacks from such behavior. Basically, the ethos here is mind your own business like you said, even including if she promoted eating whatever you wanted. (I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, just expanding your point to include the caveat you made.)
I agree with everything you just said. Ultimately its a mind your own business thing.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
She wouldn't be rich if people were happy with themselves.

ParmeSean

May 14, 2018
Gonna post this for saying Lizzo seems unhealthy
ENx8OSZWwAIPZu7

ZiZ

Oct 27, 2017
I'm fat, I'm aware of it, I accept it, I don't hate my body, but I know I should put more effort into living a healthier lifestyle but I lack time, energy, and motivation.

While I'm definitely against fat shaming, I think anyone who celebrates being fat is delusional and/or misguided. It's not something to celebrate.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
while Lizzo isn't healthy I think her acceptance of herself goes a long way towards helping others who are overweight feel more confident. You are way less likely to start a weight loss journey if you are depressed.
This is my take. Is she ideal weight? Probably not. But I don't think shaming is the right approach at all, instead encourage acceptance and support should she choose to lose weight. I also don't think anyone should be encouraged or celebrated to be fat, which is why I hated the "dad bod" fad.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think shaming is the right approach, but I do think the culture sometimes coddles it a little bit too much.
and I say that as someone who needs to lose 40+ lbs right now

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Ah yes because making people feel bad about the way they are is the way to go.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
This is my take. Is she ideal weight? Probably not. But I don't think shaming is the right approach at all, instead encourage acceptance and support should she choose to lose weight. I also don't think anyone should be encouraged or celebrated to be fat, which is why I hated the "dad bod" fad.

People should be celebrated and encouraged to be who they are as long as it's not detrimental to other people. We can talk about optimal or "ideal" health just fine without requiring the pursuit of such to be a precondition to treat people well.

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
Some people naturally carry more fat than others, especially women. Lizzo is obviously overweight, and we don't know her personal health history, but I'd be more concerned about her joint and back health as she ages rather than diabetes. I come from a family of women where most of them look like Lizzo, and pretty much all of them had back/joint issues once they hit mid 40s. The added weight just takes a toll on those parts of the body over the years and there is no way to handwaive that.

But I'm all for body positivity, and I think what Lizzo represents is fine. It isn't like she's trying to convince people to gain weight and look like her, but rather focused on displaying herself as is.

Status
Not open for further replies.