• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fleet

Jan 2, 2019
100% agree

The most frustrating thing is how modern research shows that there are 4-5 genetic determinants for how likely you are to be obese. If you have 3-5 of these genes activated, you are basically guaranteed to be overweight.

The genes govern everything from how your fat cells store carbohydrates, to your actual perceived appetite, to your brain's impulse control... If you've drawn the unfortunate hand, it will literally be harder for you to not eat, to stay slim, to have healthy habits...

So yup, it's nowhere near as easy as "calories in; calories out". What's more important is simply to eat well and exercise. Lizzo clearly does both.

yup! and sure, at the end of the day, it boils down to "calories in and calories out" - that's literally just the laws of physics. but someone with mental health difficulties, health complications, or genetic predispositions to obesity is going to have a MUCH, MUCH harder time doing "calories in and calories out". to paint the same brush stroke for ever single person is ignorant.

A lot of obese people need therapy first, nutrition second, and exercise as the last step.
yep, and let's start with the fat and body shaming in this thread. i'm a psychologist. my hourly sessions mean shit if my clients go online and find post after post of "fat people are bad".

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
yep, and let's start with the fat and body shaming in this thread. i'm a psychologist. my hourly sessions mean shit if my clients go online and find post after post of "fat people are bad".
I binge ate because I'm afraid of being homeless again, among other things, and I wanted to be 'prepared'. I'm not at risk of homelessness, so I learned to be comfortable with something else.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
100% agree

The most frustrating thing is how modern research shows that there are 4-5 genetic determinants for how likely you are to be obese. If you have 3-5 of these genes activated, you are basically guaranteed to be overweight.

The genes govern everything from how your fat cells store carbohydrates, to your actual perceived appetite, to your brain's impulse control... If you've drawn the unfortunate hand, it will literally be harder for you to not eat, to stay slim, to have healthy habits...

So yup, it's nowhere near as easy as "calories in; calories out". What's more important is simply to eat well and exercise. Lizzo clearly does both.
I've said this on prior pages, but I keep having to repeat it as people trot the same arguments.

The obesity/overweight statistics have risen over the decades as technological advancements have allowed people to move less and less.

If people's genetics had stacked the deck against them we would have seen these insane obesity rates throughout human history.....but we haven't. We only saw this statistical change when technology allowed people to move less and screen based forms or entertainment became limitless.

Last edited:

Stephen

Oct 25, 2017
I've said this on prior pages, but I keep having to repeat it as people trot the same arguments.

The obesity/overweight statistics have risen over the decades as technological advancements have allowed people to move less and less.

If people's genetics had stacked the deck against them we would have seen these insane obesity rates throughout human history.....but we haven't. We only saw this statistical change when technology allowed people to move less and screen based forms or entertainment became limitless.

I think it's not just the technology but also just what's considered normal now. If you go to basically restaurant and order a basic meal there's a good chance it will be minimum 1000 calories. I was planning out my meals for a BBQ place I want to go to on Sunday and one of the items on the menu was over 3000 calories. And it's kind of like this awful race to the bottom in a way. Restaurants and food manufacturers have to make their food more appealing to out-do their competitors and two really easy ways to do that are to offer more food (which is excessive for a serving) or to make the food tastier which probably means more sugary/fatty/salty and thus more calorically dense.

Stuff like that really does worry me because like it's not a person's fault if they just don't know any better. Here in Canada we were taught the food guide which recommended 10-15 servings of carbs a day! Like....that's a lot for adults and they were teaching it to kids. Also advising them to have like 5 servings of dairy or something and only a little bit of meat. Vegetables were at least more highly recommended. This is why it's a societal issue but IMO the side that says 'it's just eat less move more' and the side that says 'being fat is just as healthy as being skinny' are both not helping matters.

RobertM

Oct 31, 2017
I don't want to see great artists die because of something like weight impacting their health. I love John Candy and it always saddens to see such talent pass away because of health reasons associated with weight, and I'm glad John Goodman is still around and was able to avoid the same fate.
I want to celebrate body positivity, I don't want to celebrate obesity.

Oct 27, 2017
Lmao Lizzo must be like dat feel when you make some undeniable bangers and some white blonde skinny chick gets all up in her feelings because you thick and still fine as fuck. Jillian Michaels is a sad lady with a distorted world view. Imagine being so frail and fragile and deriving so much of your sense of self worth from your appearance as a skinny blonde chick that an overweight person being successful is enough to set you off. Also some of y'all ITT with the fat shaming rhetoric and health concern posturing are roflmao, one day resetera will actually care about fat people enough to ban some of y'all... hopefully.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017

It's also gone up as food has simultaneously become unhealthier and more addictive, poor nutrition in schools, as well as increases in other things that feed into neuroses that lead to over-eating and other psychological contributions to obesity, such as a shame-based weight loss industry and a culture of fat shaming that has been proven to have the opposite effect from what it claims to support.

call me crazy but that all sounds like it might have more to do with it than iPhones.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
not even gonna read the replies to this thread because i know most of them will piss me off

i'm overweight. not lizzo overweight, but i'm overweight. not skinny. big thighs and a tummy roll.

i eat healthy. i eat fucking carrot sticks, low fat yoghurt, lots of vegetables, lean meat. i've cut out sugar and most carbs. i rarely drink alcohol. no fruit juice! i'm still overweight.

i'm going through testing for cushing's disease, thyroid problems, polycystic ovarian syndrome. the first thing "concerned" people say when they judge my body is that i'm unhealthy and i need to have more self control.

nobody cares about my eating disorders. nobody cares about the fact that whatever autoimmune disorder i have has made me infertile. no one cares about the intense anxiety and depression i get when i look in the mirror. nobody cares that i spend most of my day irritable and hungry.

everyone just gives that tittering response of "well, it's YOUR body but you know being fat is unhealthy right?". fuck OFF if you think being fat is just laziness. i work harder than most people just to maintain my current weight. if you really care, fund my next endocrinologist session. fund my psych appointments. fund the medications i have to take so i don't get deathly sick.

it's frustrating and most people are never going to understand. i feel so sorry for lizzo. she's an AMAZING performer. she has so many popular hits. and yet whenever she's brought up the conversation INEVITABLY turns to "yeah but we shouldn't glorify her... she's fat."

if all that matters is being fat, and being fat is out of my control, what should i do? just kill myself to stop making skinny people uncomfortable?

Fucking preach it sis.
Also relating a lot for the "irritable and hungry" part, god I truly hate the way I become so angry, irritated, and tensed as hell whenever I have to watch my calorie intake and not go over a certain amount, because my body sure as hell doesn't feel like I should, is still releasing tons of hunger hormones that I have to keep on ignoring 24/7 (forcing me to have the will of several mythical goddesses to do so), and also not be a cranky ass bitch about it all because I'm a woman, and it's socially expected of me to be peachy and fluffy at any given time of my life under any circumstances, otherwise I'd burn myself socially and professionally.

For that matter, I related a bit to the part where it was said that Joaquin Phoenix was always in an awful angry mood on the set of the Joker, because the dude had to starve himself 24/7 for months, and that shit goes to your brain, and alter your mood so hard, it's truly difficult to not feel intensely miserable and awful all the goddamn time. That was relatable to me (not the rest where he was being an ass though). People rarely know how bad it can get mentally when you have to survive on a 1200kcal a day diet because that's the only way your body will actually start losing weight due to your extremely low metabolism, but that you're also in an infuriating mood all the goddamn time even your own friends gets worried about you.

"Fuck you got mine" but with weight loss is a new one.

I'm not surprised. People managing to lose their weight and finally fitting the beauty standards often did so by fatshaming themselves to the moon and back, and take a particular (misplaced) pride in it. There is a particular pride you feel when you finally enter the market of the "socially-deemed attractive and desirable people" (been there done that) after being denied the entrance to it for so long.

Most of them experience quite the depression and fatshaming spiral when, eventually, life catch up to them, their metabolisms catch up to them 1/2/5 years after, and they end up gaining the weight back. Sometimes mildly, but oftentimes the exact same amount they had lost and then some. But everybody managing to lose a ton of weight always so dearly wishes to be The One™ that'll beat the odds of statistics and scientific researches. They then get a huge slap in the face back to reality, when it happens that they're not, in fact, the Neo of Dieting.

Most of those "I lost weight I know what I'm talking about" posters in here also happen to be men, and are absolutely oblivious to the disparity of metabolisms, and to the way hormones can make it that much harder for women to lose weight and keep it off in comparison. Just a splendid display of privileges stemming from the anecdotal evidence of their life experiences, that they think should topple the tons of scientific research about obesity backing up the opposite of what they claim. It's ridiculous.

the fact that obesity is an epidemic and is getting worse is 100% correct. the thing is, when it comes to fat people, suddenly all knowledge of social determinants of health gets thrown out the window and people default to "people just need to stop being lazy" (i'm not saying you said this, but it's rife in this thread)

for example, take drug use. if "you need to stop doing drugs" was all it took to cure addiction, we'd have no addicts. if "you need to pull your socks up and stop using drugs, this is all your fault" worked, we'd have no addicts

but we know that this shit is complicated! factors like mental health, poverty status, race, gender, all sorts of shit plays into addiction. it's not an easy problem and it's not an easy fix.

but weight loss? "it's calorie in calories out, stop being lazy. i did it, you can do it. if you're not losing weight you're doing something wrong. fat people need to stop being glorified (read: included) in society. it's easy. no excuses."

what about better work/life balance so people don't feel exhausted by the end of the day, so they have more time to exercise and cook nutritious food? what about accessible health care so that people can visit dieticians and doctors to work out sustainable weight loss options? what about subsidised gym costs? what about the ever increasing cost of living which means fast food and take out is often the most affordable option for poorer families? no? just "stop being lazy"? yeah okay.

The comparison with drug addiction is, I think very pertinent. While thinking about this whole issue yesterday, about what to answer to people who say we "shouldn't celebrate Lizzo's body", I couldn't help but feel disgusted by everything this would imply, and I drew that same comparison to drug addiction.

There are tons of drug addicts out there, tons of celebrities that happen to be drug addicts, and it is known that they are. Yet, when those celebrities get celebrated for, let's say, putting out a good album, making a stellar performance in a movie, being nominated to an Oscar, or doing anything that is worthy of praise and admiration, you don't see anybody, and I mean, NOBODY AT ALL barging in their threads being like "You can't celebrate that person, if you do, it means you're celebrating drug addiction and that ain't healthy".

There's no discourse whatsoever about how we, as a society, collectively join to celebrate known drug addicts, and how that is akin to celebrating drug addiction as well. Yet their bodies bear the marks and illnesses of that drug addiction. Their behaviors even more so. But nah, it's alright then, because people know better than to conflate the two together, know that a human being can be a drug addict and still be celebrated for their talent and their contribution to society, because they're not completely and totally stripped away from their humanity, their agenda, their talent and worth as a person, solely because they're a drug addict.

But somehow, it's perfectly okay to do that for fat people. Celebrating Lizzo, her success, her achievement, and the way she feels about her self, and heck, even celebrating the body she's doing all of that in, which is PART of herself, all of that is stripped away, all of who she is as a human being is thrown away in the trash, and only ever reduced to "she's fat, if you celebrate that woman in anyway whatsoever, you're promoting obesity". This is so fucking dehumanizing, and infuriating. Her body is part of who she is, and yes, deserves to be celebrated, because it allows her to be the way she is, it gives her the energy, talent and aura she has, because it gives her an edge on life that allows her to be inspired by it, in order to write about it in her songs, in a way that makes thousands and thousands of people feel loved, celebrated, accepted, uplifted, and feel positive about life in general, no matter what their weight is. You can't separate one from the other, just like you can't separate a drug addict digging into their own experience, in order to write amazing music, to direct an amazing movie, to act in a way that makes others relate and touch them in positive ways.
Yet the stigma surely isn't the same at all, and it's clearly because fatphobia is realer than ever.

I'll also add this old quote of mine from another thread, concerning what talking about obesity should also encompass, otherwise you're not even trying to start talking about it in the slightest productive way whatsoever, have no idea what you're talking about and should just stay silent:

Also, since we're at it.

You can't properly handle the problem of obesity, if your criticism of it doesn't take note of:
- social class
- sexism
- neo-liberal capitalism
- agro industries and how they work
- mental health
- income inequalities
- overwork culture
- education system
- racism

Obesity is far from being a "just eat 1500kcal a day and you'll be fine lol" problem. It's complex. It's tentacular. It's a lot of things interconnected and feeding one another, it's an insanely complex problem that goes beyond what most people think. There are books, podcasts, blogs, twitter accounts of fatpo activists that will teach you as much, and will educate you on the matter, but please just don't say anything at all if you're just showing ignorance, because such ignorance keeps on perpetuating a lot of harmful stereotypes that are absolutely not helping anyone anywhere.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
It's insanely gross to keep haranguing the overweight in the face of significant evidence that it does no good, as well as the fundamental principle that you can't understand from a glance what it is that others are dealing with. In their lives, in their minds, with their genes, and their history. You don't have to celebrate Lizzo's weight, no, but you don't have to comment on it in any respect, either.

fleet

Jan 2, 2019
Fucking preach it sis.
Also relating a lot for the "irritable and hungry" part, god I truly hate the way I become so angry, irritated, and tensed as hell whenever I have to watch my calorie intake and not go over a certain amount, because my body sure as hell doesn't feel like I should, is still releasing tons of hunger hormones that I have to keep on ignoring 24/7 (forcing me to have the will of several mythical goddesses to do so), and also not be a cranky ass bitch about it all because I'm a woman, and it's socially expected of me to be peachy and fluffy at any given time of my life under any circumstances, otherwise I'd burn myself socially and professionally.

For that matter, I related a bit to the part where it was said that Joaquin Phoenix was always in an awful angry mood on the set of the Joker, because the dude had to starve himself 24/7 for months, and that shit goes to your brain, and alter your mood so hard, it's truly difficult to not feel intensely miserable and awful all the goddamn time. That was relatable to me (not the rest where he was being an ass though). People rarely know how bad it can get mentally when you have to survive on a 1200kcal a day diet because that's the only way your body will actually start losing weight due to your extremely low metabolism, but that you're also in an infuriating mood all the goddamn time even your own friends gets worried about you.

I'm not surprised. People managing to lose their weight and finally fitting the beauty standards often did so by fatshaming themselves to the moon and back, and take a particular (misplaced) pride in it. There is a particular pride you feel when you finally enter the market of the "socially-deemed attractive and desirable people" (been there done that) after being denied the entrance to it for so long.

Most of them experience quite the depression and fatshaming spiral when, eventually, life catch up to them, their metabolisms catch up to them 1/2/5 years after, and they end up gaining the weight back. Sometimes mildly, but oftentimes the exact same amount they had lost and then some. But everybody managing to lose a ton of weight always so dearly wishes to be The One™ that'll beat the odds of statistics and scientific researches. They then get a huge slap in the face back to reality, when it happens that they're not, in fact, the Neo of Dieting.

Most of those "I lost weight I know what I'm talking about" posters in here also happen to be men, and are absolutely oblivious to the disparity of metabolisms, and to the way hormones can make it that much harder for women to lose weight and keep it off in comparison. Just a splendid display of privileges stemming from the anecdotal evidence of their life experiences, that they think should topple the tons of scientific research about obesity backing up the opposite of what they claim. It's ridiculous.

The comparison with drug addiction is, I think very pertinent. While thinking about this whole issue yesterday, about what to answer to people who say we "shouldn't celebrate Lizzo's body", I couldn't help but feel disgusted by everything this would imply, and I drew that same comparison to drug addiction.

There are tons of drug addicts out there, tons of celebrities that happen to be drug addicts, and it is known that they are. Yet, when those celebrities get celebrated for, let's say, putting out a good album, making a stellar performance in a movie, being nominated to an Oscar, or doing anything that is worthy of praise and admiration, you don't see anybody, and I mean, NOBODY AT ALL barging in their threads being like "You can't celebrate that person, if you do, it means you're celebrating drug addiction and that ain't healthy".

There's no discourse whatsoever about how we, as a society, collectively join to celebrate known drug addicts, and how that is akin to celebrating drug addiction as well. Yet their bodies bear the marks and illnesses of that drug addiction. Their behaviors even more so. But nah, it's alright then, because people know better than to conflate the two together, know that a human being can be a drug addict and still be celebrated for their talent and their contribution to society, because they're not completely and totally stripped away from their humanity, their agenda, their talent and worth as a person, solely because they're a drug addict.

But somehow, it's perfectly okay to do that for fat people. Celebrating Lizzo, her success, her achievement, and the way she feels about her self, and heck, even celebrating the body she's doing all of that in, which is PART of herself, all of that is stripped away, all of who she is as a human being is thrown away in the trash, and only ever reduced to "she's fat, if you celebrate that woman in anyway whatsoever, you're promoting obesity". This is so fucking dehumanizing, and infuriating. Her body is part of who she is, and yes, deserves to be celebrated, because it allows her to be the way she is, it gives her the energy, talent and aura she has, because it gives her an edge on life that allows her to be inspired by it, in order to write about it in her songs, in a way that makes thousands and thousands of people feel loved, celebrated, accepted, uplifted, and feel positive about life in general, no matter what their weight is. You can't separate one from the other, just like you can't separate a drug addict digging into their own experience, in order to write amazing music, to direct an amazing movie, to act in a way that makes others relate and touch them in positive ways.
Yet the stigma surely isn't the same at all, and it's clearly because fatphobia is realer than ever.

I'll also add this old quote of mine from another thread, concerning what talking about obesity should also encompass, otherwise you're not even trying to start talking about it in the slightest productive way whatsoever, have no idea what you're talking about and should just stay silent:

such a fucking good articulate response, thank you.

hendersonhank

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This thread is divided between people who don't have a problem with what Michaels said, and people who didn't watch the clip, didn't understand the clip, or throw out one strawman after another to justify calling her and everybody who doesn't have a problem with what she said an asshole.

You don't have to celebrate Lizzo's weight, no, but you don't have to comment on it in any respect, either.

So in your mind, when a guest on a talk show there to talk about fitness and body image etc is asked by the host about the awesomeness of celebrating the body of an overweight person, the only appropriate response is "I am not going to comment"? lol

Znazzy

Aug 27, 2018
I'm convinced that people responding in this thread didn't even watch the full clip.

I absolutely ADORE Lizzo and her music, and I love the message that she is sending about loving yourself and self-acceptance. However, that doesn't change the fact that the host brought up to a physical fitness guru about "celebrating" the body of a morbidly obese person. The host used that term, not Jillian. Jillian was 100% correct in questioning why in the world would we celebrate that, given her background and expertise. I would hope that ANYONE in the medical/health/fitness field would give a similar response. We should absolutely be preaching about self-love and acceptance while SIMULTANEOUSLY promoting health, exercise, and fitness. They don't have to be mutually exclusive which is what so many people posting think they have to be.

Edit: I also think it's funny that some earlier posts suggested that thin-shaming isn't a thing and thin people don't face oppression. Try being an extremely skinny guy that can't gain weight in this society and come back to me with that bullshit.

fleet

Jan 2, 2019
every time i think there might be a place on the internet that hasn't been infiltrated by right wing rhetoric and thinking, i'm unpleasantly surprised. this thread really confirms that resetera is not the "progressive left leaning safe haven" it desperately wants to be. think i'll stick to the video game side from now on.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
No one deserves to be shamed for how they look. If someone likes how they are, let them.

At the same time, I don't think we have to pretend being overweight is healthy when compared to not being overweight. There are levels to this, and an overweight person who is very active might be relatively healthy, but if that same person weren't overweight they'd be healthier.

So yeah, no shame. It doesn't help anyone. But neither does "healthy at any size" nonsense.

This message brought to you by an obese man.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
I'm convinced that people responding in this thread didn't even watch the full clip.

I absolutely ADORE Lizzo and her music, and I love the message that she is sending about loving yourself and self-acceptance. However, that doesn't change the fact that the host brought up to a physical fitness guru about "celebrating" the body of a morbidly obese person. The host used that term, not Jillian. Jillian was 100% correct in questioning why in the world would we celebrate that, given her background and expertise. I would hope that ANYONE in the medical/health/fitness field would give a similar response. We should absolutely be preaching about self-love and acceptance while SIMULTANEOUSLY promoting health, exercise, and fitness. They don't have to be mutually exclusive which is what so many people posting think they have to be.
Yup. I've posted this a few times in this thread and it's still pretty obvious that lots of people didn't watch.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
every time i think there might be a place on the internet that hasn't been infiltrated by right wing rhetoric and thinking, i'm unpleasantly surprised. this thread really confirms that resetera is not the "progressive left leaning safe haven" it desperately wants to be. think i'll stick to the video game side from now on.

you're either being a troll or purposely obtuse. Saying eat less move more is the basis of weight loss for 99% of people isn't "right wing rhetoric".
Heart disease is the number 1 killer for overweight people, yet we have to walk on egg shells when it comes to people losing weight. No one is saying fat shame. And guess what, if you're fat and happy, go you. But anyone saying reducing calories DOESNT WORK, is wrong.
*and I'm not saying it's EASY to lose weight. It can be very difficult to make a better choice when eating. But don't over complicate it: eating less than you burn WILL lead to weight loss and goofy terms like starvation mode won't hit you

Oct 25, 2017
Jillian Michaels is a damn moron. I remember reading a lot of people on that show failed to keep the weight off. That is because they promote a seriously difficult to sustain long term diet and exercise plan. Long term sustainable weight loss requires a regime that you can literally stick to for the rest of your life and not murder yourself in the gym every day. Yes you can lose weight by moving more, but if you lose weight by exercising 20 hours a week, what happens when you no longer sustain that effort and continue to eat? You gain it back.

Weight loss is more than calories in and calories out. While that obviously plays a huge role, we understand in reality we are not machines burning fuel. We have metabolic and hormonal issues, often insulin resistance related such as diabetes, pre-diabetes, PCOS (I think there is male PCOS too), chronic inflammation, testosterone/estrogen imbalances... to name a few. Some people say the best diet for you is the one you can stick to, but I personally think that is only when the person is otherwise healthy even though I think adherence is a major factor. Some diets address these metabolic/hormonal issues better than others. And likely these issues need to be addressed before sustainable weight loss can occur.

Anyway, I feel for people who have the desire to lose weight and have a difficult time losing it. And I hate the traditional eat less, move more mentality that clearly is not the cause of obesity or the cure. The stop being lazy mentality is harmful and not helpful. I think nutritional guidelines are to blame. They are fucked. Aside from that, too much bullshit over the past 50-70 years, made worse by processed sugars, cheap fillers, and outright unhealthy foods made in the name of profits. The fat free craze. Transfats like those found in margarine. Demonization of healthy fats, including saturated fat. The fake cholesterol/saturated fat heart disease theories. And mainstream sources unwilling to change, especially governments. We entered this society with the cards stacked against us. And we barely talk about obesity (AFAIK!) in politics, I presume because it is not something we talk about enough in society or because it is not something that gets votes.

edit:
One thing I noticed that is a positive about Jillian is that whenever she makes waves it at least gets people talking about the issues which is a great thing imo. I also think she means well. She is just misguided. I do not think she is just some hateful or jealous person some people paint her out to be. I think she understandably has some real concerns about obesity. Maybe I am wrong though. I really do not care what her inner thoughts are, just saying maybe she is not a bad person like the clip makes her look. And maybe people concerned about obesity are not concerned because of some weird evil or hateful motivation as people are saying in this thread.

Last edited:

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
There's nothing wrong with what she said in that clip, someone explicitly talked about celebrating obesity and she said we shouldn't celebrate obesity, that's not fat shaming.

Unfortunately there's alot of posters on this board that want obesity acceptance, and if you so much as point out the medical implications of obesity then they scream "fat shaming!" and accuse you of being a right winger, it happens in every single obesity related thread.

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Soooo...let's say that being obese is indeed unhealthy. Let's say that we start celebrating and normalizing obese bodies. Let's say that we end up seeing more obese people in society due to that.

What's YOUR problem? Who are YOU to make comments about some stranger's health? Do you go around telling random alcoholics that their addiction is unhealthy? You don't, right? You leave them alone. Because it's NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS. Guess what, same principle applies here.

You don't wanna celebrate her body? Then shut up. Your participation is not required. You have a family member who's obese? Feel free to give them all your pent-up health advice.

I don't see this same obsession to call out a variety of unhealthy activities human beings routinely engage in. Like internet addiction, phone addiction, smoking, drinking, war, you fucking name it.

You know the most wonderful thing about health issues? We have doctors to diagnose them. If obese people have health problems, they'll go to a doctor.

Are you worried about the epidemic of obesity in society? Then fight an election, become a legislator, and put a stop to the ridiculous amounts of sugar and corn syrup being pumped into food by corporates to get people addicted. You aren't changing jack-shit by fat-shaming strangers over the internet.

Your crusade should be against the systems and processes that are responsible for this epidemic. Not the people who've been unwittingly subjected to these processes.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Soooo...let's say that being obese is indeed unhealthy. Let's say that we start celebrating and normalizing obese bodies. Let's say that we end up seeing more obese people in society due to that.

What's YOUR problem?

Skyrocketing medical costs because of increase heart disease and diabetes for one. Having a society where the majority of people are obese is a catastrophic problem, i'm not saying we need to go yell at fat people, i'm just pointing out its a problem and it's a solvable problem for most people.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
There's nothing wrong with what she said in that clip, someone explicitly talked about celebrating obesity and she said we shouldn't celebrate obesity, that's not fat shaming.

Unfortunately there's alot of posters on this board that want obesity acceptance, and if you so much as point out the medical implications of obesity then they scream "fat shaming!" and accuse you of being a right winger, it happens in every single obesity related thread.
And Michaels didn't even bring it up! She responded to a statement specifically celebrating her body by the host.

Like I said earlier, regardless of how crappy Michaels is, I'm struggling to see shaming of any kind.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
Jillian Michaels is an "expert". Sure. That's why numerous professional trainers find her techniques appalling, she's been repeatedly sued for sponsoring harmful products, and why people on her show failed to keep the weight off once the cameras stopped rolling.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017

What's YOUR problem? Who are YOU to make comments about some stranger's health? Do you go around telling random alcoholics that their addiction is unhealthy? You don't, right? You leave them alone. Because it's NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS. Guess what, same principle applies here.

You don't wanna celebrate her body? Then shut up. Your participation is not required. You have a family member who's obese? Feel free to give them all your pent-up health advice.

I don't see this same obsession to call out a variety of unhealthy activities human beings routinely engage in. Like internet addiction, phone addiction, smoking, drinking, war, you fucking name it.

You know the most wonderful thing about health issues? We have doctors to diagnose them. If obese people have health problems, they'll go to a doctor.

Are you worried about the epidemic of obesity in society? Then fight an election, become a legislator, and put a stop to the ridiculous amounts of sugar and corn syrup being pumped into food by corporates to get people addicted. You aren't changing jack-shit by fat-shaming strangers over the internet.

Your crusade should be against the systems and processes that are responsible for this epidemic. Not the people who've been unwittingly subjected to these processes.
This is a societal issue that affects everyone. The systems and processes that are contributing to this epidemic also feed off of things like obesity acceptance, which is why people are speaking up. Don't you think food manufacturers want people to think that Lizzo's body is the normal? It was the same issue when it came to glorifying smoking. The tobacco industry did a lot of harm because smoking was celebrated. Same with alcohol. "Become a politician if you want to make change" makes no sense. We can make change through the way we perceive things. Having a discussion is making change.

I feel the need to add a disclaimer that I don't think fatshaming is ok, nor do I think calling out people individually for their body is ok. As a society however, we need to be careful about what we are normalizing.

hendersonhank

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

You don't think people on tv should say that alcohol addiction is unhealthy? You would get pissed off if a guest on a talk show said it wasn't a good thing to celebrate a famous musician's alcoholism? lol

Also it is a lot easier to get an individual to change their eating habits than it is to get all of society and industry and government to do what you have decided needs to be done.

Imagine thinking that the best (and easiest?) way for people to be healthy is for the government to pass laws preventing everyone from having access to unhealthy food.

Broken Hope

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
you're either being a troll or purposely obtuse. Saying eat less move more is the basis of weight loss for 99% of people isn't "right wing rhetoric".
Heart disease is the number 1 killer for overweight people, yet we have to walk on egg shells when it comes to people losing weight. No one is saying fat shame. And guess what, if you're fat and happy, go you. But anyone saying reducing calories DOESNT WORK, is wrong.
*and I'm not saying it's EASY to lose weight. It can be very difficult to make a better choice when eating. But don't over complicate it: eating less than you burn WILL lead to weight loss and goofy terms like starvation mode won't hit you
You're wasting your time, the person you're replying to started a thread about not being able to lose weight, people told them they needed to actually track what they eat with scales and counting calories and since that wasn't the answer they were looking for they got the thread closed.

Lots of people who want to lose weight don't want to hear the truth, they want to be told it's okay to be fat or it's not their fault, it's genetics, society, fatphobia etc etc rather than they eat too much.

Oct 25, 2017
I barely see nutrition being a concern in politics. The focus is usually on healthcare. Not on the obesity epidemic but how to treat the symptoms. Yes, obviously healthcare affordability and access is a big deal. But it is not going to solve obesity unless we look at the deeper causes of obesity and the reasons why people have difficulty getting back to a normal weight (which is not move more/eat less).

obesity-trends-cdc-2009-chartbook.jpg

You're wasting your time, the person you're replying to started a thread about not being able to lose weight, people told them they needed to actually track what they eat with scales and counting calories and since that wasn't the answer they were looking for they got the thread closed.

Lots of people who want to lose weight don't want to hear the truth, they want to be told it's okay to be fat or it's not their fault, it's genetics, society, fatphobia etc etc rather than they eat too much.

So you think calorie counting, or calories in and calories out, is the only thing stopping that person from losing weight? I feel like you are ignoring PCOS, insulin resistance, and other issues she talked about. Metabolic issues are not adequately addressed by eating less. A lot of people have issues losing weight until they become healthier first and then the weight drops because they are healthy and they got the barriers of inflammation out of the way.

Broken Hope

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jillian Michaels is a damn moron. I remember reading a lot of people on that show failed to keep the weight off. That is because they promote a seriously difficult to sustain long term diet and exercise plan. Long term sustainable weight loss requires a regime that you can literally stick to for the rest of your life and not murder yourself in the gym every day. Yes you can lose weight by moving more, but if you lose weight by exercising 20 hours a week, what happens when you no longer sustain that effort and continue to eat? You gain it back.

Weight loss is more than calories in and calories out. While that obviously plays a huge role, we understand in reality we are not machines burning fuel. We have metabolic and hormonal issues, often insulin resistance related such as diabetes, pre-diabetes, PCOS (I think there is male PCOS too), chronic inflammation, testosterone/estrogen imbalances... to name a few. Some people say the best diet for you is the one you can stick to, but I personally think that is only when the person is otherwise healthy even though I think adherence is a major factor. Some diets address these metabolic/hormonal issues better than others. And likely these issues need to be addressed before sustainable weight loss can occur.

Anyway, I feel for people who have the desire to lose weight and have a difficult time losing it. And I hate the traditional eat less, move more mentality that clearly is not the cause of obesity or the cure. The stop being lazy mentality is harmful and not helpful. I think nutritional guidelines are to blame. They are fucked. Aside from that, too much bullshit over the past 50-70 years, made worse by processed sugars, cheap fillers, and outright unhealthy foods made in the name of profits. The fat free craze. Transfats like those found in margarine. Demonization of healthy fats, including saturated fat. The fake cholesterol/saturated fat heart disease theories. And mainstream sources unwilling to change, especially governments. We entered this society with the cards stacked against us. And we barely talk about obesity (AFAIK!) in politics, I presume because it is not something we talk about enough in society or because it is not something that gets votes.

edit:
One thing I noticed that is a positive about Jillian is that whenever she makes waves it at least gets people talking about the issues which is a great thing imo. I also think she means well. She is just misguided. I do not think she is just some hateful or jealous person some people paint her out to be. I think she understandably has some real concerns about obesity. Maybe I am wrong though. I really do not care what her inner thoughts are, just saying maybe she is not a bad person like the clip makes her look. And maybe people concerned about obesity are not concerned because of some weird evil or hateful motivation as people are saying in this thread.
So you're telling me if someone was locked in a room and only able to eat what is given to them and you give them 1000 calories a day they wouldn't lose weight?

Find me a single person that wouldn't lose weight in that situation.

fleet

Jan 2, 2019

oh i beg your fucking pardon? i made a thread about losing weight while being a type 2 diabetic. i bent over backwards in that thread to accomodate people's shit medical advice which was ALWAYS directly in contradiction to what my general practitioner has strictly told me not to do. i was getting told to eat less when i'm a hypoglycaemic, track calories when i'm a recovering bulimic, and to go keto when going keto sent me into hypoglycaemic shock and put in hospital.

i closed the fucking thread when i realised it wasn't helpful and it was the same moronic, ignorant advice of people who barely parsed my fucking op.

you are a fucking asshole, dude. go fuck yourself.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017

The thing that makes this whole thing so complicated is that there are legitimate conditions that make a person gain weight. It's been mentioned in this thread, but hormonal imbalances and metobolism can be big factors. With that said, there are also people who refuse any advice and constantly come up with excuses to justify their obesity, which is why the idea of "celebrating" Lizzo's body is so dangerous. It can feed into people's denial of their health.

These two things make this conversation very difficult to have.

Deleted member 46489

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
This is a societal issue that affects everyone. The systems and processes that are contributing to this epidemic also feed off of things like obesity acceptance, which is why people are speaking up. Don't you think food manufacturers want people to think that Lizzo's body is the normal? It was the same issue when it came to glorifying smoking. The tobacco industry did a lot of harm because smoking was celebrated. Same with alcohol. "Become a politician if you want to make change" makes no sense. We can make change through the way we perceive things. Having a discussion is making change.

I feel the need to add a disclaimer that I don't think fatshaming is ok, nor do I think calling out people individually for their body is ok. As a society however, we need to be careful about what we are normalizing.
Pray tell me how it affects YOU. A person being obese is a personal health issue. Doesn't cause you any problems. And yet you are so worried about "normalizing" it.

Let's talk about alcohol, and its potential affects on YOU, and the society in general. Alcohol leads to domestic violence, drunk driving and accidents, and a host of social ills. All of these are well-documented and incredibly common. And yet I don't find you being an anti-alcohol crusader.

You want to reverse the obesity epidemic? Great. Start a boycott movement against these food corporates. Campaign alone, if you have to. Change your lifestyle. Convince your family and friends to change theirs.

Stop participating in threads like these to defend disguised fat-shaming.

As for the fitness trainer, here are the things she COULD have said in response to that question-
"Sure, we should celebrate all of Lizzo."
"Everything about Lizzo is worth celebrating."
"Lizzo is awesome. My kids love her..."
and so on. There were so many ways to deal with that question without body-shaming Lizzo.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This thread is fucking filled with insane garbage. This forum really needs to reign in fat shaming commentary

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
As for the fitness trainer, here are the things she COULD have said in response to that question-
and so on. There were so many ways to deal with that question without body-shaming Lizzo.
The first two responses go against everything she believes in and why she's on a talk show in the first place. The last amounts to "no comment".

Deleted member 46489

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
You don't think people on tv should say that alcohol addiction is unhealthy? You would get pissed off if a guest on a talk show said it wasn't a good thing to celebrate a famous musician's alcoholism? lol

Also it is a lot easier to get an individual to change their eating habits than it is to get all of society and industry and government to do what you have decided needs to be done.

Imagine thinking that the best (and easiest?) way for people to be healthy is for the government to pass laws preventing everyone from having access to unhealthy food.
You didn't answer my question at all. What makes YOU responsible for the health of random individuals? You think people don't know obesity is unhealthy? Their medical practitioners will tell them about what they need to do. All YOU need to do is not parade your fat-phobia disguised as health-concerns in threads like these.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because if we're advocating for universal healthcare then it does become EVERYONE's problem. Seems pretty counterproductive to me.
I guarantee you that improving people's healthcare across the board along with other material conditions will lead to a drop in obesity. Shaming people who are overweight on a video game forum will not

Broken Hope

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The thing that makes this whole thing so complicated is that there are legitimate conditions that make a person gain weight. It's been mentioned in this thread, but hormonal imbalances and metobolism can be big factors. With that said, there are also people who refuse any advice and constantly come up with excuses to justify their obesity, which is why the idea of "celebrating" Lizzo's body is so dangerous. It can feed into people's denial of their health.

These two things make this conversation very difficult to have.
Those conditions, even Thyroid imbalances can make things a little harder, they aren't responsible for someone being 100, 200 or even more pounds overweight.

The same for medication, they can do things like increase appetite, they don't magically make fat out of thin air, it's still CICO ultimately.

Znazzy

Aug 27, 2018
I guarantee you that improving people's healthcare across the board along with other material conditions will lead to a drop in obesity. Shaming people who are overweight on a video game forum will not
If you believe that saying morbid obesity is unhealthy is fat shaming, I honestly don't know what else to say to you.

Deleted member 46489

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Because if we're advocating for universal healthcare then it does become EVERYONE's problem. Seems pretty counterproductive to me.
If that HYPOTHETICAL scenario ever comes to pass, feel free to be an advocate against those food corporates who are doing this to people. Until then, please stop with your concern-trolling.

-Peabody-

Oct 29, 2017
Being overweight is hard enough without everyone acting like your health is their business all the time.

People celebrate Lizzo's body because she is unashamed of who she is and what she looks like. Those who pick apart what is acceptable to like about her are very obvious with their fat phobia.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
Pray tell me how it affects YOU. A person being obese is a personal health issue. Doesn't cause you any problems. And yet you are so worried about "normalizing" it.

Let's talk about alcohol, and its potential affects on YOU, and the society in general. Alcohol leads to domestic violence, drunk driving and accidents, and a host of social ills. All of these are well-documented and incredibly common. And yet I don't find you being an anti-alcohol crusader.
Obesity also causes lots of social ills. This stuff affects people's friends and families. When I was a kid, I was overweight and no one in my family questioned it because it was so normalized.

If I see alcohol being glorified, I'll gladly call it out. I've even questioned the scientific studies that have come out in the past which say things like "moderate amounts of alcohol are good for you"

You want to reverse the obesity epidemic? Great. Start a boycott movement against these food corporates. Campaign alone, if you have to. Change your lifestyle. Convince your family and friends to change theirs.

Stop participating in threads like these to defend disguised fat-shaming.

It's hard to convince your family when these things are ingrained on a societal level. I have family members who are obese. I've talked to them about it, but it doesn't do any good.

Where did I defend fat-shaming? I've posted several times that I think fat-shaming is destructive and doesn't do anyone any good.

Jillian's response was to the very specific phrasing of the host's question, which was "don't you think it's great that we are seeing these bodies being celebrated". If you're going to blame anyone, blame the host for bringing up Lizzo's body to begin with. That topic was none of their business. The host is the one who opened the can of worms and forced Jillian into a response. It is Buzzfeed, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was intentional to get a clickbait headline.

THE210

Nov 30, 2017
Here you are talking down to people about excuses like you know anything about their lifestyles, economic status, and physical and mental capacities, and telling people they're just making up excuses. Blatant concern trolling.

It seems like we have a competition to see who can be the Clarence Thomas of former fat people in here. Despite all the evidence that clearly shows the overwhelming majority of people fail to go from obese to normal weight it's just personal failings.

Status
Not open for further replies.