• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Except that thin people aren't systemically, socially, politically, medically and economically oppressed by the fatphobic society we live in.

You're not wrong but the funny corollary to using weight as a proxy for health (as though, as I always say, health were a single thing and not a way to describe how the systems of the body are working together) is that thin people have trouble getting their chronic issues diagnosed because they present as healthy due to their thinness.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
I can't stand Lizzo. I think she is being used as a passive aggressive dig at black women, a caricature that the dominant class pretends to find appealing, knowing full well how embarrassing many of us in the black community find her. And our embarrassment doesn't stem from her weight, our community embracing many beautiful and strong black women whose weight wasn't considered ideal: Aretha Franklin, Esther Rolle, Queen Latifah, Etta James..
So when people pull that bullshit argument to the effect of, "you don't like her because of her weight," give them a history lesson. We don't like her because she's a minstrel act and gladly parades her buffoonish ass before the public eye for whatever dollars white daddy throws her way. The idea of young black girls looking up to her makes me want to vomit.
Is this like what happened with Caitlyn Jenner when she first transitioned? I think I get what you mean about Lizzo, tho. It's kinda weird and I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but I think you got it.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Are you a doctor? Most literature I've seen says obesity comes with health risks. Increased risk of heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, breathing problems, etc. etc. You seem to be suggesting it does not.
You are at a higher risk of certain illnesses but you can't tell if someone is currently healthy or not just by looking at them. Being fat is not an inherently unhealthy state.

Lizzo could be way healthier than someone who is thin but has a desk jobs and eats fast food.

Nov 20, 2017
Not a fan of the current trend of normalizing obesity. Shaming isn't the solution, but I don't think blanket accepting is either. Lets be clear, I don't care about your body or how you treat it. If you're happy and living life to the fullest then more power to you. I can still have an opinion though. And I'm sorry, but being an average person and weighing over 250 lbs isn't some body type hand you've been dealt (remember, I'm talking about your average person, not the exceptions) that just happens to only affect Americans and not the rest of the world. The whole "that's just my body type" narrative is bs. Just be honest with yourself that this is the lifestyle you want to live.

How can you even know what lifestyle a person supposedly has just because they're overweight?

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I know it's uncomfortable but there has to be some middle ground between being confident and happy with the body you are given and being healthy.

I see people that are generally fairly healthy be fat shamed and then I see obese people claim they don't need to improve their health because they are comfortable with their body.

I do feel a bit sad for people who spend every waking moment concerned about their fitness, it's just an unhealthy obsession at that point. On the flip side being body positive doesnt really give you the excuse to lazing around eating unhealthy food all day.

Its also possible to be overweight and healthy too. Also your mental health plays a role in this, it's important to be happy.

MPrice

Alt account
Banned
Oct 18, 2019
I can't stand Lizzo. I think she is being used as a passive aggressive dig at black women, a caricature that the dominant class pretends to find appealing, knowing full well how embarrassing many of us in the black community find her. And our embarrassment doesn't stem from her weight, our community embracing many beautiful and strong black women whose weight wasn't considered ideal: Aretha Franklin, Esther Rolle, Queen Latifah, Etta James..
So when people pull that bullshit argument to the effect of, "you don't like her because of her weight," give them a history lesson. We don't like her because she's a minstrel act and gladly parades her buffoonish ass before the public eye for whatever dollars white daddy throws her way. The idea of young black girls looking up to her makes me want to vomit.

I wasn't gone go this hard but yeaaaahhhhh. More than a few people think she's a "plant". That twerking at the Lakers game shit was cringey as fuck.

Mobius

Banned
Oct 10, 2019
Being overweight or obese puts people at risk for certain health conditions in the aggregate but Lizzo is an individual woman and her health is her business and her doctor's.
To be fair my comment wasn't really directed at Lizzo cuz a lot of people know how she carries herself, for the most part. I'm just saying that a lot of people her size aren't as mentally strong (confident) or as active as she is.

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting that the actual content of her comments from the video are so different from how people are characterizing them.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't that after she harassed a DoorDash employee and got backlash for that? And then she got off Twitter? I guess that would count as her quitting due to toxicity...but it would be weird if the thread became about that instead.

Oh I honestly don't know. I'm legit regurgitating thread titles I saw on another forum. I know next to nothing about the woman, I just know I saw a thread saying she quit twitter, and another about her going to an NBA game or something.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017

How does this work in a world of.... all the non-lizzo acts in music that aren't her, who are successful, who also fill out stadiums, and are pretty much beauty queens? Its not as if its Lizzo or nothing. Isn't there room for all types of black talent to be on a stage? Shes sorta been at this for a minute too.

I mean you've got people looking up to cardi-b -> rhiana -> beyonce -> solange -> janelle monet -> And no, can't think of any mainstream bigger women at this point, but they sort of come out in cultural waves.

i don't think anyone should be looking up to celebs to begin with. But, thats the world we are in. In the world of capitalism... I don't see how lizzo os a minstrel act.

MPrice

Alt account
Banned
Oct 18, 2019
User banned (permanent): racism
a "plant" in what way?

I will say that I like the one song of hers, it's catchy. But as a star I don't see her having skyrocketed without being very obese as she is.
Meaning that she is being artificially pushed by the industry to influence certain people. Alot of people say that she is overly stereotypical. Definitely conspiracy town but it does speak to how she is viewed in the community. Alot of people don't like jiggaboos.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
She is a joke. And it's obvious what's going on with her and I think most know it. And also no she is not just overweight, she is obese, there is a difference between being overweight and obese. and even if she as an individual is healthy, it's nothing to be promoting to young kids like it's a great thing especially in the black community where we are struggling with obesity as it is.

No one should shame her but this worship is bullshit and feels very fucked up.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She's doing the same shit nicki and cardi are doing though

Like exactly the same, the only difference is her weight

Oct 25, 2017
Meaning that she is being artificially pushed by the industry to influence certain people. Alot of people say that she is overly stereotypical. Definitely conspiracy town but it does speak to how she is viewed in the community. Alot of people don't like jiggaboos.
You could say this about literally any pop act. I don't understand the impetus behind singling her out on this point.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
You know, the idea that lady singers and performers should be model-tier lovely has lead us to having a lot of shit-tier mainstream R&B and pop out there.

Also, leave the woman alone. Her weight is her business.

This here. Props to Lizzo and hopefully more extremely talented but not deemed "sellable" performers make it in this world

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Let Lizzo be herself and Jillian has some nerve, especially knowing Biggest Loser has been a failure of a show where almost everyone who lost weight on that show gained it back immediately as they left

i get people should lose weight and being obese sucks but fat shaming does not help.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
You actually do though!

My wife is a big girl, and thanks to the general attitudes of people like you, has to have her blood drawn at almost every doctor's appointment and get examined "just to check some things."

Blood sugar? Normal.
Cholesterol? Normal.
Blood pressure? Normal.
Any signs of diabetes or other chronic illness? Nope.

I'm a fat guy, and for all of my life through my early 30s all of those markers were normal, too. The shit can and does eventually catch up with you.

Your wife's health is between her, her doctor, and whoever she chooses to share that information with. But those tests being normal for the time being doesn't invalidate the idea that being overweight has adverse effects on your health just because you're not seeing the manifestation of them presently.

Nov 20, 2017
Nah. It's not just us; there are a lot of black women who find her embarrassing, if YouTube and Instagram comments are anything to go by. I think a healthy mix of black people see through her act and peep the agenda.

She hustled her way to the top in an organic fashion and worked hard for it - to accuse her of being the 'agenda' a corporate puppet is frankly embarrassing. Just cop that her being unapologetic riles you up.

Well you know that they're eating too much food for their activity level, and if they're very overweight then it's way too much food.

Did you even pay attention during high school biology? Food intake is far from the only thing that causes weight gain, and weight is an important factor for health but again not the only one.

MPrice

Alt account
Banned
Oct 18, 2019
She's doing the same shit nicki and cardi are doing though

Like exactly the same, the only difference is her weight

Nicki faced alot of the same accusations and then went pop like Lizzo. Cardi does seem to be immune from these criticisms but she's also not wearing pants with ass cut-outs courtside at the Lakers game so I don't know that its an accurate comparison.

You could say this about literally any pop act. I don't understand the impetus behind singling her out on this point.
There's alot of people considered to be plants.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017

I'm not going to look up that last word at work, but it doesn't sound good.

hendersonhank

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
She hustled her way to the top in an organic fashion and worked hard for it - to accuse her of being the 'agenda' a corporate puppet is frankly embarrassing. Just cop that her being unapologetic riles you up.

Did you even pay attention during high school biology? Food intake is far from the only thing that causes weight gain, and weight is an important factor for health but again not the only one.

Calories in vs calories out is absolutely the only factor, it's physics. Metabolism has an effect on how many calories go in the "out" column but it doesn't have nearly as big a variance as people like to believe.

And yeah weight is not the only factor in health. But all else being equal, an obese person who simply consumes fewer calories will be healthier.

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This ghoul can mind her business. Who the fuck is she to police Lizzo's body? If she's actually, sincerely concerned maybe she could reach out to her privately instead of fat shaming her for her own self promotion.

Wtf is this?

"Artificially pushed"? What does that mean? Which "certain people"?

And then to finish it off with a fucked up piece of racist terminology. What the hell?

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
Most people didn't even know Lizzo at the start of the year and they're already tripping over themselves trying to downplay her talent. Shit's sad.

And she's also joined a long list of female black performers chased off social media in the past year. The pattern speaks for itself and it's gross.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
Nah. It's not just us; there are a lot of black women who find her embarrassing, if YouTube and Instagram comments are anything to go by. I think a healthy mix of black people see through her act and peep the agenda.

plenty of black women out there that would call you a fucking idiot too.

unless you're Azealia Banks of course... and no one should wanna be like that.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
This ghoul can mind her business. Who the fuck is she to police Lizzo's body? If she's actually, sincerely concerned maybe she could reach out to her privately instead of fat shaming her for her own self promotion.
The host brought her up and said people were celebrating Lizzo's body, not Jillian Micheals.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dunno if I'll take hear for this but

1. You shouldn't shame people on their bodies. Be respectful.

but also

2. We shouldn't normalize that it is ok to be overweight/obese. I don't know what Lizzo's health is like. I assume if she's dancing her ass off on stage a bunch she's doing ok. But I don't like the idea that we should accept that being unhealthily overweight is ok

Biggavell

Banned
Dec 26, 2019
How does this work in a world of.... all the non-lizzo acts in music that aren't her, who are successful, who also fill out stadiums, and are pretty much beauty queens? Its not as if its Lizzo or nothing. Isn't there room for all types of black talent to be on a stage? Shes sorta been at this for a minute too.

I mean you've got people looking up to cardi-b -> rhiana -> beyonce -> solange -> janelle monet -> And no, can't think of any mainstream bigger women at this point, but they sort of come out in cultural waves.

i don't think anyone should be looking up to celebs to begin with. But, thats the world we are in. In the world of capitalism... I don't see how lizzo os a minstrel act.
Look at her behavior in public. Her babble on social media. How is she not a modern day stepin fetchit? She knows full well that white America loves to see ratchet, buffoonish black caricatures and is playing that angle to the hilt. Maybe she's talented. Cool. Then, why not sing and stop with the extra shit? Jill Scott is a gorgeous big black woman, if you're at a loss for other big black woman celebrities of the modern era. She still fills arenas, does a little acting, and carries herself with grace and poise, the complete opposite of Lizzo.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Nah. Lizzo feels... Less toxic than Nicki. And more like she's doing her own thing? That might just be my Lizzo bias talking though.

She's definitely savvy but also I think more socially responsible than what people here are implying. Her positivity messaging is a lot more considered than, say, DJ Khaled (and though I hate to put such a fine point on it, you know, we never do seem to get any threads about his size).

MPrice

Alt account
Banned
Oct 18, 2019

Wait so we blaming black men now? I can post a dozen black women shitting on Lizzo.

Wtf is this?

"Artificially pushed"? What does that mean? Which "certain people"?

And then to finish it off with a fucked up piece of racist terminology. What the hell?

Eh chill with the fake outrage. And how is jiggaboo racist? Are you white or something? Its well understood what jiggaboo means. If you don't its probably because its a word that's not meant for you to use.

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait so we blaming black men now?

Eh chill with the fake outrage. And how is jiggaboo racist? Are you white or something? Its well understood what jiggaboo means.
"Fake outrage"? Sorry if I find it gross for someone in Michaels' position to shame somebody this way.

So let me ask you again, what does "artificially pushed" mean? And by which "certain people"?

Titanpaul

Jan 2, 2019
counter point:
Running is easy. dancing is hard

I didn't actually want this to turn into a discussion on the physical effort needed for each but just wanted to call out the silly hyperbole in an otherwise great message.

counter to counter point: if one can run 3 miles but can't dance for 3 minutes, reexamine the workout.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
counter point:
Running is easy. dancing is hard

Yeah running is doing the same motion time and again and a lot of resistance is transferred into the ground. By comparison, a lot of energy is exerted in dance just by way of stopping one motion and moving on to the next. Sort of like how a boxer will tire themselves out more easily if they miss punches because they have to provide the stopping force themselves, rather than their opponent.

This is, again, one of the reasons why I don't love treating 'health' like a single-axis spectrum of 'good' to 'bad'

Eh chill with the fake outrage. And how is jiggaboo racist? Are you white or something? Its well understood what jiggaboo means. If you don't its probably because its a word that's not meant for you to use.

I can say with reasonable confidence that it's a term wrapped up in perils of respectability politics especially in the context of high-profile performers

hendersonhank

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
She's definitely savvy but also I think more socially responsible than what people here are implying. Her positivity messaging is a lot more considered than, say, DJ Khaled (and though I hate to put such a fine point on it, you know, we never do seem to get any threads about his size).

It's almost like nobody has ever suggested, and nobody will ever suggest, that we should celebrate DJ Khaled's body, and that's why nobody posts on the topic of whether that would be advisable or not.

Fake edit: also in this thread someone tried to claim "jigaboos" isn't racist lol.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Weight and proportionality aren't great metrics at gauging a person's relative health. Lizzo, merely by existing and not-apologizing for her physical appearance, is getting a raft of shit for "normalizing obesity". I don't follow her closely, but unless she's out there pushing fast food and sugar as a healthy way to be, she's seems like a fat person who doesn't give a fuck that she's fat. And somehow that's just too much for some people.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
I somehow knew that there would some caveat, and when searching for who Lizzo was that became clear.

Adele is fine, Meghan Trainor too. Lizzo? No, that's too much.

You ain't being slick there chief.

both of them lost a good bit of weight, didn't they? Heard folks at work criticize them for being happy with their bodies, yet losing weight anyhow. Some folks are going to criticize either way sadly.

Weight and proportionality aren't great metrics at gauging a person's relative health. Lizzo, merely by existing and not-apologizing for her physical appearance, is getting a raft of shit for "normalizing obesity". I don't follow her closely, but unless she's out there pushing fast food and sugar as a healthy way to be, she's seems like a fat person who doesn't give a fuck that she's fat. And somehow that's just too much for some people.

What it seems like in a lot of cases. Well said.

Golden

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
More body diversity in mainstream media is always a good thing.
Not if our encourages people to live an unhealthy lifestyle which will kill them.
when youve seen people who have had to have parts of their body amputated because of self inflicted type 2 diabetes, you can see that there is nothing cool about obesity and it shouldn't be celebrated. (that's just 1 example of obesity linked health issues)

We shouldn't belittle people with weight problems, we should be supportive, but by no means should we encourage people to be fat.

Status
Not open for further replies.