• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
It's not say they're bad, no. They do their job just fine. Many western games opt for ambient sound instead of music for majority of the time, saving music only for certain situations or cutscenes. When there're music, they're much more subtle, or go all out bombastic like Skyrim. Western games also have the tendency to license songs from singers instead of making their own synthesized, original music, so games like GTA, Saints Row. But as a result, I just don't feel like they're very memorable or catchy, whereas Japanese games tend to feature music that always strive to complement the environment, created to evoke all sorts of emotions from players, from adventurous, to joyful, to intense, to sadness, to heroic.

Here's the starting area of Ys VIII's music.

Here's how it would probably sound like from a western composer.

Now I'm not saying ALL western soundtracks are inferior to Japanese soundtracks, they are exceptions of course, but that's in my opinion of their approach in creating soundtracks and why I personally prefer one over the other on average.

Oct 25, 2017
One, taste.

Two, I don't think this is the case anymore for me, and I'd have agreed with the sentiment some time ago. In recent gens, I've been enjoying the western stuff way more.

Kiraly

Oct 30, 2017
To me, the track from DA:I sounds much better than from Ys. The track from Ys just sounds like faux-rock from an unknown B band.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
It's just the tone of the games themselves. Japanese OSTs would never fit in Western games. But there are western games that really change up their music, and while I don't really like Witcher 3, that menu theme is, as they say in South Africa, LEKKER.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of prominent Japanese composers have been composing for video games since the humble beginnings, when they had to abide by the limitations of what consoles could produce. That means most of them had to emphasize melody, because they couldn't implement a lot of other textures and sounds to create memorable moods. Most of those composers are still in the business, and they've taken those experiences to heart in a modern capacity.

But it's still a pretty broad stroke to paint on western composers. A lot of western composers out there like David Wise, Mick Gordon and Martin O'Donnell follow much of the same tenants.

ULTROS!

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno but:

Western games: ambient and cinematic music, I don't really notice a theme in the songs.

Japanese games: catchy and most likely has an overarching theme, a good example is the Final Fantasy games.

Oct 26, 2017
Taste. They are not underwhelming by any means lol

The west has Jasper Kyd, Inon Zur, Mick Gordon, Jeremy Soule, you can't say their work is underwhelming....

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
They're not.

I find many Japanese games to have painfully generic music. Hell, there's a particular sound I've come to call 'JRPG music' because they fucking all seem to have it.

This being a prime example:

(Is there an actual term for that kind of thing?)

There are exceptions of course. Neir Automata, for all that I despised it, did feature a delightfully varied soundtrack.

Granted, western games have their own issues. Way too much "epic" orchestral stuff.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Western games also have the tendency to license songs from singers instead of making their own synthesized, original music, so games like GTA, Saints Row.
GTA V has an original score by Tangerine Dream. So it's not really the best example to use.

Anyway, this thread is bound to end rather poorly. But in the meantime, I would like to point out that the best soundtrack of the year is very arguably Far Cry 5. This is absolutely unforgettable music.

FriedConsole

Oct 27, 2017
To generalize in a thread that is asking for broad generalizations but probably just wants affirmation that Japanese game music is better:

Western music is to complement the game and story as background. Japanese game music is usually busy and says "hey listen to me" sometimes to distract that the game is janky.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
The frequent use of big orchestral sound or cinema type tracks in the West start to blur together for me as well, but there's some crazier stuff like the Doom OST. JP stuff certainly has a bigger range that I like better.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Melodic foreground music vs. atmospheric background music. Which do you prefer? For me 100% of the time melodic. You can argue that games like BotW wouldn't work with a more traditional soundtrack but personally I disagree. Games like Metroid also have very melodic soundtracks and the ones that don't, like Samus Returns, are incredibly bland as a result, thanks in part to the lack of melodies. The game is much more fun to play with something fun to listen to and I personally believe this applies to every single game. It´s all down to the quality of the music. I hate cinematic-style bombastic background music that sounds like nothing and certainly isn't memorable.

Oct 28, 2017
To me, the track from DA:I sounds much better than from Ys. The track from Ys just sounds like faux-rock from an unknown B band.
and the DA track sounds like a wannabe opera music. they have very different target, and they are both appropriate for the game and the moment they want to portrait, imho. i don't generalize as saying one nation has better music than the rest of the world but it's clear they have different visions about music in videogames.
the difference to me is that i could hear Ys track with eyes shut and instantly think "that's a Ys track yep" while you could slap any title on the dragon age and it would "fit"

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017
This is totally subjective.

With the likes of Mick Gordon, Bear McCreary, Jesper Kyd, and Grant Kirkhope, I think your original post comes from a pointless perspective.

Maybe I should go write a thread called "so why is it that the only good games are first person shooters? why does everything else suck?" Maybe then you'd understand what you sound like.

As a former music teacher, I think that Ys track is fucking godawful. Jfc.

Western composers are great.

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
I'm personally a JRPG guy so taste and exposure is one thing.

But if I'm being completely honest, I literally cannot name one single western OST that has grabbed my attention. It has never happened at all for me.

I absolutely love the Persona 5, Trails of Cold Steel, Pokemon Emerald soundtracks, etc. For example, however, I never have noticed the music for God of War, Destiny, or Deus Ex at all. If you sat me in a room and played them for me, I wouldn't be able to tell you which western game they're from and I loved all three of them.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Both sides have wonderful and plain bad/boring music in their games.

In the end it comes down to taste and for many non-anime/non-japanese game fans their music is often hard to swallow. It's more of an acquired taste imo.

Western music is mostly used to compliment a scene and not take the spotlight.

Two different approaches but neither is really better.

OP
OP
Dark_Castle

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
GTA V has an original score by Tangerine Dream. So it's not really the best example to use.

Anyway, this thread is bound to end rather poorly. But in the meantime, I would like to point out that the best soundtrack of the year is very arguably Far Cry 5. This is absolutely unforgettable music.

These are great to listen no doubt, but most of the time when you're actually playing you rarely ever hear these, but just ambient noise.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Melodic foreground music vs. atmospheric background music. Which do you prefer? For me 100% of the time melodic. You can argue that games like BotW wouldn't work with a more traditional soundtrack but personally I disagree. Games like Metroid also have very melodic soundtracks and the ones that don't, like Samus Returns, are incredibly bland as a result, thanks in part to the lack of melodies. The game is much more fun to play with something fun to listen to and I personally believe this applies to every single game. It´s all down to the quality of the music. I hate cinematic-style bombastic background music that sounds like nothing and certainly isn't memorable.
Melodic is a good way to put it. If a tune sticks with me I end up thinking it's great. On the other hand I remember games like Fallout 4 having good background themes but I can't hum or recall any of it. Not a bad thing, just a difference in implementation.

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
Bloodborne does "cinematic" better than most game OSTs and it was made by both Japanese and Western composers.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
All your OP shows is that you like one song from Ys 8 over a different song from DA:I.

It's just taste. And it's not even a Japan vs West thing, you're just making it into that.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
Did we already have this conversation already?
OP don't do this, when I as fan of the final fantasy series known for its excellent ost can say your premise is wrong.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
It's almost a genre thing. Japan leans on stylized audio, just like visuals, which tends to blur out less in comparison to Western AAA emphasis on realism and, in case of sound, orchestration and/or effect overload. That said, there are loads of bad Japanese soundtracks. What genres of games do you play, OP?

OP
OP
Dark_Castle

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
Your title reads as a FACT, don't try to spin it in your favor.
There's a difference between: "I think....." and "Western games OST are underwhelming....".
So are you suggesting that everything we say from now on, we should add in I think, or IMO. How can one random individual present what he said as a fact without presenting adequate evidence to suggest that he or she said is a fact or opinion? And then I clarified that what I said is personal thoughts, AND I EVEN SAID IT'S PERSONAL IN OP.

But oh no, this guy didn't say 'I THINK' in his title, so it must be a fact!!!

Phamit

Oct 26, 2017
I'm thankful that the music in Inquisition is not like Y's at all, that would be completely out of place and really exhausting at some point.

2+2=5

Oct 29, 2017
I'm recently watching some music and OST related videos and i had the confirmation of what i was already suspecting, modern western movie OSTs are meant to be unnoticed, they must add atmosphere but nothing else, technically speaking they focus on the harmony(the "moody" element) while mostly ditching the melody(the "hummable" part), most of the western AAA games try to mimic movies so...

Deleted member 42221

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
I'm not a fan of film-score style game soundtracks... That having been said, I think some western game soundtracks have a lot to offer. Journey and Hotline Miami are 2 of the 5 best gaming soundtracks from this generation. I don't think a Japanese game soundtrack could be like Hotline Miami.

Oct 26, 2017
So are you suggesting that everything we say from now on, we should add in I think, or IMO. How can one random individual present what he said as a fact without presenting adequate evidence to suggest that he or she said is a fact or opinion? And then I clarified that what I said is personal thoughts, AND I EVEN SAID IT'S PERSONAL IN OP.

But oh no, this guy didn't say 'I THINK' in his title, so it must be a fact!!!

Put the personal thoughts in the title as well.

MetalLord

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
For the same reason western games are underwhelming compared to Japanese games,Japan is superior to america.

Status
Not open for further replies.