• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodcutter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
nj
If they have their own storefront, keep all the profits, even keep the dirty online charges. why won't they do it? Do they really believe everyone will flock to pc? notice.... I said they can still keep their online network prices.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
Because their storefront on the console allows them to get a cut of third-party sales. They don't get that on PC.

Plus hardware generates revenue since no one sells at a loss anymore.

Also, I'm assuming you're talking about Sony and Nintendo, because Microsoft is already doing that.

Oct 25, 2017
Establishing a storefront takes awhile.
Steam, GOG, Origin, XBL, PSN, and eShop all being on PC would be a mess.

there's also a lot of smaller issues that wouldn't make this work.

violent

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Same reason not every game is released on Playstation 4, Xbox One, and Switch.

RyoonZ

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought competition was good? So competition was good but we also want all games on single platform. Which is it?

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
Because
1. Storefront gets them a cut
2. Not everyone can afford to play on PC
3. PC isn't an even playing ground for a few reasons (hardware limitations, cheaters, etc)
4. PC gaming has a higher up-front cost than consoles
5. You need some level of knowledge to be able to build a PC
6. Did I mention that it's expensive? Cuz it is.
7. Consoles require zero knowledge to build to play.
8. $$$$$

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do they want Russian hackers? Because that's how you get Russian hackers.
What does this comment even mean?

Sony and Nintendo have more to gain by being the creators of both their software and hardware, and fully controlling their ecosystems. There's a market for consoles, and consoles need to differentiate themselves, so we'll continue to have them in addition to exclusive games.

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
Having your own storefront on pc not only is costly, especially for companies with little to no experience in pc software, but it does not equal sales. Just take a look at the windows store.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought competition was good? So competition was good but we also want all games on single platform. Which is it?
PC has competition, though. Mainly AMD/Intel/Nvidia. Also you can cheer for Team Linux who are taking on the Microsoft Monolith. PC and consoles are very different. Consoles are all about HARDWARE. PC is all about the abstraction of hardware. The Xbox is moving very rapidly away from the hardware-oriented model, which reflects how MS thinks about consoles.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because then why would anybody buy their consoles.
That isn't really true. There's a demographic divide that'll probably never be bridged. People will play the console version of a game because they want to play on consoles. It's very rooted in stuff like mouse and keyboard controls and the like, too. (Although MS seem to be aiming to bridge that in some ways.)

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
because you don't get that experience of sitting back on your couch, having a controller, all the while knowing you didn't pay for a $700 GPU

kidding but PC has about half a decade to go before it becomes standard. and even then we won't get every game

Mikey

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Aren't games coded and developed on computers anyway? It's weird that they can't even release a PC version when it's all there to begin with.

Oct 31, 2017
Why aren't all games released on PS4?
I'd be fine with that too: let any software be available on ANY hardware capable of running it.
Maximize your potential amount of users and let customers decide what device is more convenient for their needs.

It's always a bit weird to me how people act like platform exclusivity should be the "natural order of things" and it couldn't be any other way.
When you think about it, the gaming industry is the only part of the entertainment business where producers of content DELIBERATELY cut out the largest possible portion of their potential user base to serve a specific sub-group of it.

The idea of a movie studio producing something that you could watch only on a certain brand of television or a music label releasing albums that could be listened only on certain radios/stereos is so ludicrous for us, we would mock into oblivion anyone who tried.
But then it's about games and suddenly, just because we are used to it as the norm, the reaction becomes "But OF COURSE Sony/Nintendo/Whatever are going to aim their software just at a specific, selected portion of user base on platform X. It wouldn't make sense otherwise!".

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I'd hate to have to do customer service for PC games when there's so many different configurations and who knows if some rogue third party app that you have no control over is really the cause of someone's issue.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be fine with that too: let any software be available on ANY hardware capable of running it.
Maximize your potential amount of users and let customers decide what device is more convenient for their needs.

It's always a bit weird to me how people act like platform exclusivity should be the "natural order of things" and it couldn't be any other way.
When you think about it, the gaming industry is the only part of the entertainment business where producers of content DELIBERATELY cut out the largest possible portion of their potential user base to serve a specific sub-group of it.

The idea of a movie studio producing something that you could watch only on a certain brand of television or a music label releasing albums that could be listened only on certain radios/stereos is so ludicrous for us, we would mock into oblivion anyone who tried.
But then it's about games and suddenly, just because we are used to it as the norm, the reaction becomes "But OF COURSE Sony/Nintendo/Whatever are going to aim their software just at a specific, selected portion of user base on platform X. It wouldn't make sense otherwise!".
You need to spend money to port a game to PS4 or any console, really

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's a myth about it? Games are developed using engine tools on PC/Mac, then tested on a console development kit. Many engines used for modern games are cross-platform, but that doesn't mean making it run on all platforms is trivial (save for Unity). Proprietary engines can be made specifically for certain hardware, but the tools used for that development are still ran on a PC.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Given the OP doesn't have more than a couple of sentences, it's hard to understand the actual question being posed here and provide a full answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.