• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think detailed settings like on PC are truly necessary, but they really should start providing fidelity and performance modes for more games.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
It's because it's pointless as the games are already optimised for the hardware, and if they are not then that's on the device. PC can have any range of hardware so options are needed.

That said I would like games on consoles to include options for users to fiddle around with post processing settings. I'd like the ability to turn off film grain, chromatic aberration, adjust blur/DoF intensity. In cases like Siege I'd want them to add a sharpening filter because the game ends up looking quite blurry after the reconstruction and TAA. The funny thing is the PC version already has a sharpening option so why not add that slider on consoles ? It doesn't affect performance at all and it's an aesthetic thing.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Yo, how many times you seen on just this forum and GAF console gamers pull the ol' "bro, I don't play on PC cuz I don't wanna break my brain with options?" shtick.

Even when the chance is presented, the majority cannot be arsed. 1 in 5 PS4's sold are Pro's was it?

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
The last thing I want to see is those overwhelming options. It's already now too much to decide between a resolution mode VS enhanced mode. I just want to play the game in the best way as intended by the devs.
This makes no sense. First of course Devs will choose by default what they want it to look like adding graphic options wouldn't change that. Second graphic options would be optional inside game settings, you don't need to use it if you don't want to.

Even when the chance is presented, the majority cannot be arsed. 1 in 5 PS4's sold are Pro's was it?
For most of us Pro and X is not a big enough upgrade to waste money on from Base console comfortable staying on this till the real next gen consoles in 2020

Oct 27, 2017
Aren't they there now?

Also, Isn't this what owning a 1X or Pro essentially are?

And the switch differs between portable and docked a bit so that's like two different settings sorta

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
For console the extent of customization options I want for gfx is the 60 fps vs higher res+30 fps modes. Been pc gaming forever and even there I usually stubbornly crank things high even if I get frames in the 20s. Not one to spend hours poring over optimization guides to find the perfect visual/perf balance, but it is fun to mess with an ini once in awhile to increase things like foliage density beyond what the main game's menus let you do.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Effectively to keep unexpected performance issues and frustration from creeping up among casual users. Most people on PC don't even really know what many settings do, and just crank things up and then complain etc when performance tanks due to shadows/SSAO or HBAO+ settings or something while only providing minor graphical quality increases.

Effectively, and this isn't a joke, users, especially those who are not subscribed to fiddling with settings, are not smart, patient and accepting enough to have the options without hurting their experience (Or so the console industry believes).

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
Is it because of the way they are development? Hardware limitation? A policy thing? Seems like something easy to do because every system is stock and will never change. Not like you have a weirdo out there running a 1080 TI, a Soundblaster pro and runnign games off a iomega zip drive on a PS4.
I think is several reason
1) consoles are supposed to be plug and play (I say supposed cause we all know now have some extra loops nad hoops in between)
2) save money and Time, there is really not benefit to make more than 1 model to cover em all when the consoles are all equal. even games for better models (X, Pro) are just minimal upgrades at the end of the day

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
I think the main drive for consoles is the plug and experience, not whether I should use HBAO or VXAO.

Though general gfx settings are kind of a thing with different modes atm.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
in an ideal world the next consoles will have this options in all the games.

1080p high detail 60 frames
1080p low detail 120 frames
1440p high detail 30\45 frames
1440p low detail 60 frames
4kinda CB low detail 45\60 frames
real 4k high detail 30 frames

simple and fast (and also a dream that will never going to happen)

(sorry for my english)
This is all they need to do, as well as fully remappable control schemes. If someone want to prioritize 4k over everything as well as map shooting to R3, then dammit, let them do it.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
in an ideal world the next consoles will have this options in all the games.

1080p high detail 60 frames
1080p low detail 120 frames
1440p high detail 30\45 frames
1440p low detail 60 frames
4kinda CB low detail 45\60 frames
real 4k high detail 30 frames

simple and fast (and also a dream that will never going to happen)

(sorry for my english)
Tbh, I dont think that is simple enough. Something like performance mode, balanced and visual mode would be preferable.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
As everybody is saying, it all has to be tested. It would be super neat, I wish cheat codes were still around and acceptable, as adding secret graphic toggle menus would be amazing! Remember when Sega Rally 2 had cheat codes to force either 60fps (with drops I think?) or 30fps?
Anyway, it's better that they try to optimize for the best balance of performance/graphics to get the most out of each console. Or two different graphic profiles for the console, as it is lately with the Pro/X.

Man devs must hate having the Pro/X around sometimes.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
I bought into the PC gamer experience last year- play a bit, tinker a bit, play a bit more, tinker a bit more, until you hit that sweet spot of peak performance for your gear. Nah. It's kind of a drag honestly. Farting around with settings for the best experience before I can comfortably start my cool new game I'm looking forward to isn't for me. I'd rather someone else does it and puts it into a convenient, universal package that is going to work optimally and instantly on my hardware without issue.

I kept the new PC (I'm posting from it) but as far as gaming is concerned, I went back to my Switch/PS4/XB1 for multiplat titles without regret.
You can always just hit the default settings and play. I cant remember when was the last time ive had a problem with that.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i don't want to mess with graphics options a lot when i'm playing on a console, but i know i will if the option is there. so i prefer if the option isn't there.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Is it because of the way they are development? Hardware limitation? A policy thing? Seems like something easy to do because every system is stock and will never change. Not like you have a weirdo out there running a 1080 TI, a Soundblaster pro and runnign games off a iomega zip drive on a PS4.

It's mostly because not all PCs are the same and certain adjustments maybe needed for a game to run properly. Making a game for a console is different since a console will always have the same specs, so you can create a game around it and then down/upscale if you want to make a port to another console.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're starting to see a hint of that with different performance options for ps4 pro and XB1X games. I wouldn't be surprised if consoles go the way of having more hardware SKUs in the future with differing hardware capabilities and price points which would also bring more performance options

Drain You

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
While preferences can be made, graphics, FPS, etc. I imagine it is much simpler to target one overall setting considering most of which will be the same, whereas PC are all wildly different. Thats my uneducated guess.

gattotimo

Oct 28, 2017
Console already have too many graphic options, thanks to the mid gen updates. Usually console gamers don't want to waste time playing with settings, they just want to play the game. Also, it wouldn't have much sense since the hardware is the same for everyone. I'd much rather FORBID devs to give such options, so they'd be forced to optimize their games the best they can

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
I don't think detailed settings like on PC are truly necessary,
This holds true if you buying top of the line for every new card release, but for the 95% of us who will buy 1 card every 3 years maybe even longer, we need those detail setting to lower setting to make newer games run decent with some nice graphics...

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
The simple answer is that most console gamers don't care. They want a uniform experience where they can buy a game, pop it into their machine and off they go.

It's better for developers as well. If they're aiming at a fixed point they can optimise their game around it.

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
the only graphical setting i want is Chromatic Aberration OFF toggle.
(And a FOV slider if it's not maxed out already)

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Because the devs generally decide what looks/works best on a console. It's a closed platform.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
They NEED to be a thing in the next generation... the "performance - resolution" options isn't enough, at all!

All games need to have at least two separate options like Infamous Second Son:

Framerate Cap (30fps): ON - OFF
Resolution: 1080p - "4K"

So you can combine them to have different solutions.
A Vsync ON/OFF would be cool too.

An HUGE issue with Pro is that some titles just go at "4K" with still framedrops (or worse performance then Base PS4, like Mafia 3...), with no option to go at 1080p with rocked 30FPS.

I can think at God of War, which give you the "performance mode" at 1080p/40-50FPS or "resolution mode" with "4K" resolution, cap at 30FPS but a lot of slowdown like Base PS4.
You don't have an option to play at 1080p with perfectly stable 30FPS on PS4 Pro, and this is stupid.

So yeah, give players MORE options, more is best, if people are lazy and don't want to use any of that, just stick with default options and let ppl who care about performance the ability to chose how to play their games.

EDIT: and yes, more options about post processing, so you can chose the amout of motion blus, CA, vignette and other filters that can just disrupt the game graphic.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Easier to debug only one set of graphic options, and to avoid confusing little Jimmy.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They are becoming more common with the mid-gen console upgrades, but usually it still boils down to a few presets where you still can't finetune like you'd want to. I guess it's to make things easier for players and to streamline the experiences, which also means easier support when everyone runs things in the same hardware and settings, plus more leveled playground in case of online interactions.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
For me on the console experience I think the following should be a must at least in single player games :

Quality Mode (best visuals 30 fps)
Performance Mode (best visuals possible at 60fps)
Motion Blur On/off
Filter crap on/off
Field of View

Maxi

Oct 25, 2017
Some basics would be nice to see on consoles such as performance/framerate. But a lot of games even more so these days being online and competitive having various variable framerates will be seen as a bad thing for the consumers at large.

Then probably the largest reason why consoles tend to not see the graphics settings is the QA work involved with testing all various modes and features. Plus the general consumer base at large only a small % would use these feature (at least for now as it isn't the norm) and expectations would be high for what each feature would do to affect performance.

On the PC side most consumers know their way around the graphic settings and know what will be the biggest hit for their PC spec and understand the limitations of the experience they are looking for. Wether that be a variable choppy 30-40 FPS on a lower end spec with medium settings to the 144 fps searching ultra settings with a immensely high spec.

Also most graphic settings will have much more diminish returns on current consoles as the CPU are always pushed so far to the limit with a bunch of memory saving and optimisations in place so lower some LODs probably isn't going to give you a massive performance boost.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
By reducing the amount of graphical options you're allowed to tweak, they can maximize the game's performance and optimization to their best so all the players on console will get the same experience.
They should leave it at graphics vs performance as it is now on the pro & one x.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The N64 was very ahead of its time, and it's interesting how consoles regressed quite a bit afterwards. On the N64, it was quite common for games to offer 16:9 widescreen, even though widescreen TVs weren't hugely common at the time. Also, it was somewhat common for games to offer higher resolution modes. Vigilante 8 was kinda unique in that it had a hidden third resolution, which bumped the game's internal resolution to a full 640x480 instead of 480x360, destroying the framerate, but offering criiiiiiiisp visuals.

I think modern 30/60fps vsync toggles should definitely be a thing. If a game is 30fps on current console hardware, who says it won't run at 60fps via backwards compatibility someday? Devs need to be more forward thinking. The days of consoles being "fixed" platforms is long, long, long behind us now.

It's no different to how back in the bad old days, console games tended to force you to have inverted aiming and didn't offer button rebinding and such. Give players options. Options are good. (Know what else is good? Native mouse and keyboard support.)

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
This holds true if you buying top of the line for every new card release, but for the 95% of us who will buy 1 card every 3 years maybe even longer, we need those detail setting to lower setting to make newer games run decent with some nice graphics...
I'm not debating that. I meant consoles generally don't need these settings.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
They should do like Croteam and go to town with graphical settings:
Oh god, getting BFE flashbacks.
Every game should let you disable CA. If nothing else, this blight should be allowed to toggled on consoles.
"Do you like it when we use this ugly post-process that's meant to simulate if the game were viewed through a shitty camera lens? No? Too bad."

- Bloodborne, RE7, Destiny, countless other games that would look tons better without CA

.git

Dec 4, 2018
United Kingdom
Because when a game releases on a console, it's expected to work straight out of the box. Developers don't have to worry what GPU or CPU someone has as all consoles are the same.

Oct 27, 2017
Console games should have hidden graphics menus. Ones with disclaimers about the consequences so QA dont have to test every permutation.

Then in the future with backwards compatibility when the consoles can brute force better performance, you arentvstuck with the old console preset graphics and framerate.