• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I agree. I feel most people here are analysing too much into things and it doesn't really affect the game.
If it doesn't affect the game then what's the issue in discussing it on a video game forum? I don't understand how it's being analysed an inappropriate amount.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
The answer is fairly easy. Even in presenting androgynous, the male normative must be followed. In a system like that, more is asked of women than of men, because the innate presumption is that men should not do the presumed work to identify with an androgynous woman because it would be harder for them than for a woman to identify with an androgynous man. Or, for a more scrutinous answer, men have and maintain the privilege of offloading that kind of emotional/intellectual work to women.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying what Link should be (I can see the plusses of Link being explicitly genderqueer) but I personally would like Link to be implicitly without gender. So no gendered pronouns, and maybe a few comments from the developers to say Link is supposed to be whatever gender the player wants.

I feel like they're already most of the way there to begin with. Can't people just headcanon the character already? It's not like there's a lot of gendered language around Link in most modern Zelda games to begin with.

burger rain

Banned
Jul 29, 2019
User Banned (permanent): troll account
Japan just isn't as woke as we enlightened ones here on Era. Someday we might sufficiently educate them, then they'll start injecting conversations about gender identity into their beloved decades-old franchises. And the world will be a better place.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like they're already most of the way there to begin with. Can't people just headcanon the character already? It's not like there's a lot of gendered language around Link in most modern Zelda games to begin with.
Why headcanon it when it'd be better to make it more official, and not a huge stretch from where we are already? Also being gender ambiguous is a much better fit for Link as an avatar.

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
Well, Link doesn't seem to mind be called a girl during the times he dressed as one. When you first get the Gerudo outfit, he blushes upon being complimented on looking like a pretty girl. During the boots sidequest, he clearly did not mind being flirted with as a girl; even if the quest is all about getting the boots that doesn't stop someone from feeling uncomfortable with being known or called as such.
I recall people calling him a girl across Hyrule if you wear the Gerudo outfit, and he doesn't mind or do anything different. Seems to be comfortable with whatever, either he's really confident and comfortable with him masculinity or he flows with what people refer to him as; Link is Link.

f92whwzwgo921.png
It's link. He is the embodiment of courage. Courage feels like a natural compliment with self-confidence. He's rocking that outfit and he knows it. Of course he doesn't care what other people think. However, just because you dress a certain way, doesn't mean you associate as any one gender.

Honestly, I'd love to play a game where Link was a girl but and the overall story kind of allows for it. Who says Link has to be reincarnated as a boy? I think if they do a game with Link as a girl, it needs to be obvious.
Original idea behind Link was to express the feelings of exploration Miyamoto had exploring the woods as a kid. Besides the social norms behind making him a boy originally, making Link a boy originally had to be in part the design of recreating Miyamotos experience.

Link is a boy and has always been a boy. That can and should change though. If the doctor can reincarnate as a woman, so can Link. No reason Zelda can't be a man either.

LemonLime

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Personally I feel your character doesn't have to be a specific gender to be relatable. My sex is male, and I find myself relating to characters like Captain Marvel despite not being, or identifying, and female myself.

Fintendo

Jun 5, 2019
If it doesn't affect the game then what's the issue in discussing it on a video game forum? I don't understand how it's being analysed an inappropriate amount.
Thank you for taking the time to respond, I just feel that this topic is just a bit pointless, I feel that it is being analysed an inappropriate amount by having pages about it. I don't feel Link's gender would have any effect on the story. Sorry if I offended you and hope any queries were answered.

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017
Aonuma says Link is male. Link is androgynous. You can be androgynous and identify as a man or a woman. Cis men can be androgynous or feminine without having to have their gender questioned. I'm always perplexed by people wanting a Link gender option instead of playable Zelda. She's the series' eponymous character and deserves her time in the spotlight.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
I've no real issue with anything they do with Link. They're supposed to all be different people anyway and any aspect of him is basically our own personal headcanon aside from "he beats Ganon" and other little tidbits here and there. So a gender option of some kind would be a welcome addition. Make a blank self insert? Might as well take it further.

Thank you for taking the time to respond, I just feel that this topic is just a bit pointless, I feel that it is being analysed an inappropriate amount by having pages about it. I don't feel Link's gender would have any effect on the story. Sorry if I offended you and hope any queries were answered.
There is no "inappropriate" amount of analysis. Nobody is being hurt by the topic, if threads making fun of a live action movie about a blue hedgehog fighting Jim Carrey are perfectly reasonable then this thread is no more pointless than anything else on here.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
If link is suposse to be an avatar i dont see the issue. Unless they want to focus on story, like in wind waker.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Frankly, I think even inside of Nintendo there's uncertainty over what Link is actually supposed to be. There's an inherent conflict between "Link as a mere avatar" and "Link as a basic character". When discussing the possibility of a female Link you can always witness how these sides of the fanbase clash with each other. People, who think of Link as a replacable avatar who don't mind him seeing replaced and people who look at Link as a character, who might feel that once you give people too much control over Link's identity Link stops being Link to them. It's also a discussion that's tainted by emotions, since for a lot of people in places like this, the Zelda series has been a big part of their childhood, so that they hold their specific version of Link very dear to their hearts.

This conflict is enforced by the games and developers, who like to state that Link is an avatar that everyone is supposed to connect to and who portray Link as a mostly mute character, but who also went out of their way to give Link a lot of expressions, never gave players the choice to actually customize Link's looks and in recent games event went as far as making it impossible to change his name.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Why not just leave it ambiguous, that way it leaves it accessable to anyone with any gender identity?

Fintendo

Jun 5, 2019
There is no "inappropriate" amount of analysis. Nobody is being hurt by the topic, if threads making fun of a live action movie about a blue hedgehog fighting Jim Carrey are perfectly reasonable then this thread is no more pointless than anything else on here.
The thread about the sonic movie is acceptable because it is about video games, this is acceptable but I feel is unnecessary, I want to share my opinion because this is a forum and I also believe in free speech.
Why does everything have to be straight?
From a business standpoint, most people in real life are heterosexual so they want to relate to most potential customers also being heterosexual will always be prominent as that is necessary for the human race to reproduce, I agree that diversity should be encouraged and accepted.

Turnabout Sisters

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Since he shows characteristics of men and women, some would say he's non-binary whether it is explicitly stated or not...

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
I appreciate wanting to relate to the character that you are playing, but why do we need to know Link's sexual orientation when it's not at all applicable to the actual game? There is not even a character editor. I think for some games, especially ones with "romance" options, this makes sense and would be a welcome addition, but not for Zelda.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
The thread about the sonic movie is acceptable because it is about video games, this is acceptable but I feel is unnecessary, I want to share my opinion because this is a forum and I also believe in free speech.
This thread is just as necessary as every other thread on the forum. You have a very strange and ambiguous baseline for what you consider necessary and unnecessary. So unless that's something you want to specify and define, your opinion while accepted is about as toothless as a newborn.

From a business standpoint, most people in real life are heterosexual so they want to relate to most potential customers also being heterosexual will always be prominent as that is necessary for the human race to reproduce, I agree that diversity should be encouraged and accepted.
I don't think you actually read or understood what you just typed out so let me do it for you.
You just responded to the question of "Why does everyone have to be straight" by saying because most people are straight and thus businesses have to make most characters straight and thus relateable?
Not even getting into the fact that you can relate to anyone of any sexuality, your idea is entirely founded upon the mistaken principle that it is the duty of a business to appeal to whatever the sexual majority is and that it has to be this way.

You talk about free speech so I suggest that you also go do some free reading as well as you seem mindbogglingly ignorant about everything that you're saying.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Funny thing about BotW is that it was the first game to not allow you to give Link the name you want thus making that Link the least avataresque.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see Link as any gender when I play any of the games , this might be due to not having any dialogue.

I am all for link to remain neutral.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Clearly.

I'm all for representing the LGBT in video games, but needing literally every protagonist ever to be LGBT+, to the point of even demanding that established characters' sexual or gender orientation be changed, is just a little out there. Head-canon all you want, but in the end a game is what the creator wants it to be and if the creator *doesn't* want their protagonist to be LGBT+ they aren't oppressing or discriminating against the community.

Bottom-line, OP? Link isn't genderqueer because Aonuma doesn't want him to be.

Good grief, language like this annoys the hell out of me. No one is needing literally every protagonist ever to be LGBT+. Literally no one has said that. That statement just reeks of "oh shut up you LGBT people, stop going on about representation".

Bradbury

Oct 28, 2017
For me is still kind of dumb that a character thats supposed to be a link with the player is male only on the year of 2019

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Is Link even straight? I don't think his sexuality is ever mentioned and I don't think he ever has a romantic relationship in a game.

Skyward Sword and Spirit Tracks hint strongly at it, most other games skirt around it or were built to allow (straight) fans to have their own headcanons (OoT has Malon, Ruto, and Zelda, for example)

But the thing is Link reincarnates every time so the preferences, gender, personality quirks, etc. should be malleable regardless. The only descriptor that needs to stay consistent is "courageous hero."

Hell I'm pretty sure a decade ago most people would be up in arms about Link wearing blue and losing the hat.

Ananasas

Jul 11, 2018
The answer is fairly easy. Even in presenting androgynous, the male normative must be followed. In a system like that, more is asked of women than of men, because the innate presumption is that men should not do the presumed work to identify with an androgynous woman because it would be harder for them than for a woman to identify with an androgynous man. Or, for a more scrutinous answer, men have and maintain the privilege of offloading that kind of emotional/intellectual work to women.
Any sources to this claim?

Exede

Banned
Feb 8, 2019
Ahm link is a dude? Its not that he is inbetween genders. Hes clearly a guy. What i would welcome is an option to chose between link and linkle

25th Baam

Jan 9, 2018
Aonuma says Link is male. Link is androgynous. You can be androgynous and identify as a man or a woman. Cis men can be androgynous or feminine without having to have their gender questioned. I'm always perplexed by people wanting a Link gender option instead of playable Zelda. She's the series' eponymous character and deserves her time in the spotlight.
I think this comes of that Zelda normally is more of a actual character, while link is literally an player avatar. So it's no wonder people would like to be represented in said avatar for once.

Euler.L.

Alt account
Banned
Mar 29, 2019
I think this comes of that Zelda normally is more of a actual character, while link is literally an player avatar. So it's no wonder people would like to be represented in said avatar for once.

Well, his sexuality and gender are like never part of the game. What would stop people to selfinsert into Link as genderqueer?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Well, his sexuality and gender are like never part of the game. What would stop people to selfinsert into Link as genderqueer?

You can already do this though. Link has no character and no identity, so it's very easy to project traits onto him. And there's really nothing wrong with that.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Any sources to this claim?

None that i can pull right now, no. Most of it you can research yourself though. Male as norm is a topic unto itself. Male privilege is very big and you can easily find resources about it. The notion that with things as they are men have to do less effort is just an extrapolation of the commentary in question. If they design the character to be easier to identify with, they are there identifying an effort that people are making. Going from a more masculine design to a more gender neutral design was likely a decision to ease that effort for players for whom it would be easier to identify with someone closer to the female spectrum, but not going the whole way (as in, letting Link embody a female body, coding his androgyny with a body of an equidistant "opposite" gender ) means that they're still asking for more effort of those people than for those for whom someone closer to the male spectrum is easier to identify with.

Euler.L.

Alt account
Banned
Mar 29, 2019
You can already do this though. Link has no character and no identity, so it's very easy to project traits onto him. And there's really nothing wrong with that.

That's the point I was trying to make.

How would you write Link as genderqueer without changing how the game handles the characterization and story. It's not just giving people the option but Nintendo would basically need to change the game's fundamentals.

25th Baam

Jan 9, 2018
Well that's being very generous, quite a few Zelda games have a sort of implicit heterosexual romance between link and zelda. Plus the push for a female playable character doesn't come out of thin air, people miss it because what is there is perceived as not enough.

Ikouros

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
People that think Link is totally devoid of soul or character are wrong. He has a distinct identity that is, ironically, only further amplified through his lack of a voice. The player notices more about his body language, reactions, facial expressions and behaviour as a result. Link, and his appearance, are iconic. This is established, and a wholly valid reason to maintain the overall identity of the character in each game here on.
I DO agree that allowing players to have a more personal influence on Link's actions throughout the games would be positive, however - and this includes giving people the freedom to express their own identities through Link as a result. Zelda presents a unique experience where the player feels as if they are both playing as Link and yet simultaneously as if they are Link - that is, an overlap appears between roleplay and self representation. Anything that expands upon this dynamic moving forward is great. Keep Link androgynous. Let him be queer, if the player so chooses. Maintain the aspects of the character that define him, but allow players to inject their own identities into the character also. After all, Link has shown to be confident, bold and dynamic on numerous ocassions in the past - so anything goes, really.

Link was, and still is, somewhat of an androgynous icon for me. He's the hero I aspired to be as I grew up, and his appearance drives a confidence in me to present as I choose today. I think it's brilliant that an icon can do this and yet still maintain positive qualities that appeal to everyone else too.
Oh, and I'm all for a playable Zelda.