• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Nah, definitely not overused with regards to a lot of the bizarre shit that many posters here are all about.

I guess maybe if the word 'normal' is the hang-up, then maybe change it to decent or some shit.

Last edited:

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Here's what i have to say. Not one person in my life who's at some point belittled, joked, or otherwise put down someone else for not being normal has turned out to be a person worth sticking with.

Not one.

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
I will stop using that phrase if people stop saying "hard pressed" and "all evidence shows" or similar.

Oh and while we're getting our hang ups off our chests. I'll stop demanding "normalcy" when you all stop overusing adverbs. It literally makes you sound like Trump.

Qasiel

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Someone clearly put in an anonymous confession and is sad about the negative reaction...

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

Now I am totally normal. In no way special or deviating from any and all social norms and expectations.

Zatoichi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
I poop standing up, wipe laying down, don't wash my hands and I'm married to an anime monster picture drawn on a piece of cheese. I am very normal.

You certainly are not (if normal is determined by the average of anything) but we need those that are different to make it a more interesting place.

But wash your hands, for the love of science!

Oct 25, 2017
my friend and I have a plan to perform paul simon's "you can call me al" ten times in a row in different styles

who's interested in buying some tickets?

Brashnir

Oct 25, 2017
The real problem with the phrase is that it infers that normal is something people should aspire to be, with the subtext that anything abnormal is undesirable behavior.

It's the same basic psychological seed that can lead to a whole lot of shitty, toxic behavior. People should really stop using it.

Euron

Oct 27, 2017
Hey don't lump me into this I haven't even clicked on the CNN Furies thread

It's a great meme only because of the David Hayter message thread

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
I always find it funny how people frame themselves as an outsider on this forum. What's wrong with Era? What's wrong with you guys? Etc etc. You're on the forum too. Yes their are some wild stories or weird responses, but it's not a you vs them situation.

Playco Armboy

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The real problem with the phrase is that it infers that normal is something people should aspire to be, with the subtext that anything abnormal is undesirable behavior.

It's the same basic psychological seed that can lead to a whole lot of shitty, toxic behavior. People should really stop using it.

Yeah, I'm good. People on this forum can be really fucking weird and need to be called out.

Simba

Nov 25, 2017
I am the king of pride rock.

The only thing weird about that is not singing a broadway showtune before devouring a family of zebra.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
You did the right thing OP.

I've wanted to make this thread for quite some time. Anything beyond the initial usage is supremely corny at this point.

Playco Armboy

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Continue being shitty, I guess?

If someone is making a thread deliberating how to best hit on a woman by talking about how far the SNES has come or something there's no way said person isn't getting made fun of nor should he expect not to

A lot of ERA nonsense comes from just lacking social awareness. That's not something you encourage lmao

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
the people on these boards can be incredibly weird or juvenile or blissfully unaware of basic things.

its not just here, but all over the internet.

Brashnir

Oct 25, 2017
If someone is making a thread deliberating how to best hit on a woman by talking about how far the SNES has come or something there's no way said person isn't getting made fun of nor should he expect not to

A lot of ERA nonsense comes from just lacking social awareness. That's not something you encourage lmao

Sure, there is a huge lack of common sense coming from a lot of users around here.

However, the phrase "why can't you be normal," is still problematic for a lot of reasons.

I'm not saying we shouldn't make offhanded comments about some of the dumb shit people do, but that specific phrase has a lot of really bad implications that I'd like to think this place is better than using.

"Normal" in America is straight, white and Christian. Put any of those words in the place of normal in the sentence and it becomes pretty clear where I'm coming from.

CannonballB

Oct 27, 2017
Pahonix

Counterpoint - if you worked with said person to understand why their behavior isn't "normal" in the rest of the world, you might actually help them instead of just making them feel shitty for their social ineptitude.

Yes, there are some really WEIRD fucking things on this board at times - but if someone is just socially inept, the way to help them is NOT to make fun of them. Show them what "normal" really looks like and help them out instead of putting them down. It just makes you look like a bully when you do that.

Deleted member 9714

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Normal is not having a partner who is addicted to heroin and trying to excuse their behavior.
Normal is not moving to the middle of nowhere and then being surprised when you don't have Uber Eats.
Normal is not being a reckless driver, speeding and almost running a child over, and then blaming the police when you get a ticket.
Etc etc.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, there are limits. For example using wet naps instead of showering to save money on water is not normal.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
I like the meme.

I like it when the threads at 2+ pages and someone finally drops it.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It was a really great quip to use once in a blue moon when someone would post something super fucking weird. But since David Hayter got paid to say that shit on video, yeah, it's been run into the ground so fucking deep that I never want to read it ever again.

You fuckers ruin everything.

fallingedge

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, there is a huge lack of common sense coming from a lot of users around here.

However, the phrase "why can't you be normal," is still problematic for a lot of reasons.

I'm not saying we shouldn't make offhanded comments about some of the dumb shit people do, but that specific phrase has a lot of really bad implications that I'd like to think this place is better than using.

"Normal" in America is straight, white and Christian. Put any of those words in the place of normal in the sentence and it becomes pretty clear where I'm coming from.

The amount of reaching is absurd.

Why can't you be normal?

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina

This is dumb. Everyone understands what "normal" means in this context.

Also not everyone in this forums is American.

Oct 25, 2017
It was a really great quip to use once in a blue moon when someone would post something super fucking weird. But since David Hayter got paid to say that shit on video, yeah, it's been run into the ground so fucking deep that I never want to read it ever again.

You fuckers ruin everything.
Don't really see it that often, but Ill take it over

YIKES