• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 50969

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 17, 2018
The game looks technically sound, so I doubt Bend will have any problems in that department.

Attracting people to buy the game? I think they'll do well, but it won't be Horizon level well.

Though, this is the same website that said SOT will not succeed, but the website got that wrong.

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome thread Sanjo! I agree this game will be great. It'll sell millions of copies & score well critically. There is a strong disdain for this game on era & no doubt people want it to flop because it'll make themselves feel better lol.

Day one purchase for me!

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
I completely understand hype threads along the lines of "Hey I'm excited for this upcoming game, let's talk about it." Completely normal response to something your'e looking forward to.

This... I don't know. There are a lot of bizarrely defensive posts in response to people who are sincerely skeptical or uninterested and I don't know how productive it is to try and convince people using "objective" metrics like YouTube views. Predicting good review scores narrowed to a 5 point range so far in advance is also weird.

Put me in the camp of people who have no major thoughts or feelings toward the game. Most of it seems like a list of checked boxes to me, and my only real outstanding opinions are that I don't like the generic grimdark apocalypse setup, "freakers" is one of the worst names ever devised for this kind of thing, and I'm somewhat impressed by the size of the hordes.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Looking forward to it.

Hope it pays off to Bend StudIo & leads to better sequels/future new IPs + new Syphon Filter. ; P

Also hoping the game polished with the extra months to release.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I just don't see it. If it were any other publisher I don't think we'd be talking about this game.

peppersky

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
User warned: "lazy dev" rhetoric. Please review our FAQ.

Being a writer for some mediocre videogame studio must be the easiest job in the world. Like seriously, seems like half of the job is just coming up with names for cults to have as brainless fodder enemies. How lazy do you even have to be to think you need more brainless fodder enemies in a game that already has zombies in it? How about having a zombie game without bandits or cultists that shoot you on sight but instead other survivors who also want nothing else but to survive? Might even add some character to them and you might even feel bad for shooting them. But I guess that is way too much to expect from a studio that thought "sad biker dude" would be a cool protagonist.

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
We should also think about release timing. This game is out at the end of April. What the heck other Sony exclusive is out this year, Dreams? Concrete Genie? And nothing else for now. It looks like the only AAA single player exclusive we're getting this year unless things change. So I think the audience of PS fans who like their single player exclusives will gravitate towards this game.

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
The game has had pretty good exposure and stayed relevant since its reveal and Sony's marketing has been on point this gen especially closer to release. And the ps4 install base is just too huge for it not to do at least decently in sales.

Compared to State of Decay 2, another zombie game that was largely forgotten from reveal to release, with generally negative impressions from previews and almost zero marketing close to release. That game just disappeared into thin air after release.
That's not how Era felt before release. Era was trying to peg it as an important Xbone exclusive that could sell a few million.

But it looked terribly generic from the get go, and then people projected that game looking generic to Days Gone. I'm not a fan of Days Gone art style at all, but it hardly looks anything generic next to State of Decay.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
Such snark and cynicism in this thread. I can't really say I'm surprised but it's still disheartening to see nonetheless. Some of y'all need to understand that it's perfectly fine if you don't post in a thread if you have nothing of actual worth/value to contribute. No need to seek to discredit the enthusiasm people show for a video game.
Well said.......yikes,yikes,yikes....pathetic....some people just can't help themselves.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
seems like people really like using the words generic and yikes in this thread...

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
I don't know how productive it is to try and convince people using "objective" metrics like YouTube views. Predicting good review scores narrowed to a 5 point range so far in advance is also weird.

As someone who's been using YT metrics to discuss stuff since... well, ever since I started tracking them - I have a personal investment in analyzing the correlation of consumer interest metrics via 'objective metrics' and other things like sales performance ( especially at launch, since day-one or week-one purchase patterns are driven by how much marketing influence was there and not WoM )

Days Gone is interesting because it's got metrics that I consider to be rather strong for a game that traditionally doesn't have a unique visual identity or character hook to them. I'm invested to see how well it does.

Deleted member 9746

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
CBT0pKL.gif
fGuN946.gif

Deleted member 50969

Banned
Dec 17, 2018
That's not how Era felt before release. Era was trying to peg it as an important Xbone exclusive that could sell a few million.

But it looked terribly generic from the get go, and then people projected that game looking generic to Days Gone. I'm not a fan of Days Gone art style at all, but it hardly looks anything generic next to State of Decay.

This is a bold faced lie.

ERA has continued to shit on every Xbox exclusive released.

Deleted member 873

Oct 25, 2017
this reads as corporate pr

edit:
I completely understand hype threads along the lines of "Hey I'm excited for this upcoming game, let's talk about it." Completely normal response to something your'e looking forward to.

This... I don't know. There are a lot of bizarrely defensive posts in response to people who are sincerely skeptical or uninterested and I don't know how productive it is to try and convince people using "objective" metrics like YouTube views. Predicting good review scores narrowed to a 5 point range so far in advance is also weird.

Put me in the camp of people who have no major thoughts or feelings toward the game. Most of it seems like a list of checked boxes to me, and my only real outstanding opinions are that I don't like the generic grimdark apocalypse setup, "freakers" is one of the worst names ever devised for this kind of thing, and I'm somewhat impressed by the size of the hordes.
orayn, as per, gets it

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
This is a bold faced lie.

ERA has continued to shit on every Xbox exclusive released.
Lmao there are plenty of threads talking about how good State of Decay looks and how every other zombie game looks generic

And either way, were they wrong to shit on State of Decay specifically? It didn't light any fires on its own to get people excited about it

Feel free to dig up all the State of Decay preview threads, we'll look at them together lmao

OP
OP
Blackleg-sanji1
Oct 25, 2017
Damn man should've title the thread "Hype level check for days gone" that would've passed the pr stuff fudged it

Igorth

Nov 13, 2017
Im not really sold on the game, but I hope it turns out good, my Pro is bored since I finished Spider-man a few months ago.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
seems like people really like using the words generic and yikes in this thread...

ge·ner·ic
/jəˈnerik/
adjective
characteristic relating to a class or group of things; not specific.

Seems appropriate enough to me. It has major overlap with some of Sony's other first party releases and it's definitely playing to type. It's an open world (Spidey, Horizon, Ghosts of Tsushima, Death Stranding), post-apocalyptic (Horizon, TLoU, Bloodborne, Death Stranding), "sad dad" game. (God of War, TLoU, Uncharted to a lesser extent, probably Ghosts and Death Stranding as well)

As someone who's been using YT metrics to discuss stuff since... well, ever since I started tracking them - I have a personal investment in analyzing the correlation of consumer interest metrics via 'objective metrics' and other things like sales performance ( especially at launch, since day-one or week-one purchase patterns are driven by how much marketing influence was there and not WoM )

Days Gone is interesting because it's got metrics that I consider to be rather strong for a game that traditionally doesn't have a unique visual identity or character hook to them. I'm invested to see how well it does.

I agree that there's interesting math to be done after the fact, I just don't think it's persuasive to try and make people more excited or confident about a game that's not out out yet.

Deleted member 50969

Banned
Dec 17, 2018
Lmao there are plenty of threads talking about how good State of Decay looks and how every other zombie game looks generic

And either way, were they wrong to shit on State of Decay specifically? It didn't light any fires on its own to get people excited about it

Feel free to dig up all the State of Decay preview threads, we'll look at them together lmao

Wait, why am I doing the looking up? I never proclaimed anything about SOD2 state, I just said that ERA has hated on MS offerings. ERA has a clear bias and no one should deny that.

How about you show me threads where people have glowing opinions of SOD2?

Oct 25, 2017
Thread took me back to the days on GAF before the release of Bloodborne and The Order where people who were more hyped for Bloodborne got called weebs

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Damn man should've title the thread "Hype level check for days gone" that would've passed the pr stuff fudged it

It was brave to try and make a positive Days Gone thread on here. Some are banking on it being the Sony flop they've been predicting for years while others are probably writing their LTTP: Days Finally Gone threads out now and saving them.

therealmob21

Banned
Nov 28, 2018
Everyone is gonna buy this game, pretend to love it for about a week, then be forgotten the moment Rage 2 comes out

Deleted member 12352

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
ge·ner·ic
/jəˈnerik/
adjective
characteristic relating to a class or group of things; not specific.

Seems appropriate enough to me. It has major overlap with some of Sony's other first party releases and it's definitely playing to type. It's an open world (Spidey, Horizon, Ghosts of Tsushima, Death Stranding), post-apocalyptic (Horizon, TLoU, Bloodborne, Death Stranding), "sad dad" game. (God of War, TLoU, Uncharted to a lesser extent, probably Ghosts and Death Stranding as well)
deacon is a dad? thats news to me.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ERA is terrible at judging the popularity of games. If people really think a AAA post apocolytpic open world Zombie game with the backing of a top tier developer/publisher won't sell well, then they're clearly delusional and don't know what the market wants.

The concern I see for Days Gone on Era is something I rarely see outside of it. I've seen some posts predicting not only the games failure but the closure of the Bend studio. But outside of Era, an install base ready to not only embrace the new ip but celebrate it.

One thing I'm concerned about is that review thread.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
deacon is a dad? thats news to me.
I'm using it as shorthand for tough, brooding protagonists with a DARK PAST and HIDDEN DEPTHS meant to resonate with a male audience who are getting older and still playing games. Maybe that label is simultaneously too broad and too specific, but it's definitely a thing. People have been talking about a shift towards "dadification" in AAA games since TLoU and Bioshock Infinite released relatively close to each other.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The concern I see for Days Gone on Era is something I rarely see outside of it. I've seen some posts predicting not only the games failure but the closure of the Bend studio. But outside of Era, an install base ready to not only embrace the new ip but celebrate it.

One thing I'm concerned about is that review thread.

I've yet to see a single person claim it won't succeed commercially, Era or otherwise.

OP
OP
Blackleg-sanji1
Oct 25, 2017

xabbott

Oct 28, 2017
Florida
Never been a fan of these "get hype" type things. For some reason people get really annoyed if you aren't excited by this game. I like Bend, I even played and finished the Uncharted Vita game they made. I was excited about a new project. I'm just kind of bummed it's Zombies. I liked State of Decay and Dying Light and also have/had little interest in the follow ups to those as well.

I have no doubt it will be well made I just need reviews to tell me if the good stuff is worth going into another Zombie world. Same thing happened last gen when people told me about stuff like Spec ops The Line, or other fps/military/cover shooters. There were just so many I skipped over some good ones because I wanted something different.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm somewhat intrigued by it, but not yet sure how good it may or may not be. We shall see.

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
Wait, why am I doing the looking up? I never proclaimed anything about SOD2 state, I just said that ERA has hated on MS offerings. ERA has a clear bias and no one should deny that.

How about you show me threads where people have glowing opinions of SOD2?
Because I work many, many hours and I figure it would be more fun for you to prove yourself wrong :)
m3qt5t7xqfo11.gif

Hs0T4ar.gif

giphy.gif

"Jumping simulators"
Without jumping in RE2 I can't see it being successful it just looks so horrid and unexciting!

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We should also think about release timing. This game is out at the end of April. What the heck other Sony exclusive is out this year, Dreams? Concrete Genie? And nothing else for now. It looks like the only AAA single player exclusive we're getting this year unless things change. So I think the audience of PS fans who like their single player exclusives will gravitate towards this game.

Oh it has an actual release date now? My interest rapidly died when they kept delaying the game so if there's finally a release date they won't miss, maybe it'll be a good time to get excited again.

Clocian

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Apr 23, 2018
another week, another days gone thread for people to shit on it.

Can't wait for the review thread. Would be great to see people be wrong on this game

Status
Not open for further replies.