• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nagito

Oct 25, 2017
The windy city
I also feel that Days Gone will be better and sell more than people expect but a great story trailer would go a long way in helping it's perception in more core spaces.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
If it's not super heavy narrative and focuses more on the survival mechanics and the hordes and such I am very interested. Excited to hear the reviews.
The issue is any AAA exclusive focused on survival mechanics is no doubt gonna be super forgiving and probably an afterthought after the first 2-3 hours.

Deleted member 9746

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm expecting it to sell more than RE2

*Runs*
image0.gif

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Come on man, it will be a better open world than BOTW.
i get where you are coming from, days gone seems to take some of the better elements of BOTW of systemic and reaction based (i know it has a different name i forgot it...) gameplay while taking away the annoying parts of BOTW, so it will be interesting to see.

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida
A cowboy game just came out that does open world better than botw.

Also, it would do some people good to play more open world games.

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
Franchise? I hope not. I'd love for Bend to return to Syphon Filter at some point.

As for the game, it looks solid, but I wouldn't say I'm really hyped for it. But then again, quality AAA single player games are hard to come by, so I'm definitely picking it up day one.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It'll do fine - probably the equivalent of Detroit Become Human or Infamous Second Son, in both sales and review scores.

I'm not expecting Spider-Man sales numbers though. I was lucky enough to see an exclusive dev walkthrough a few months back, and it looked really rough. I'm hoping the delay has fixed and cleaned up a few things.

It was relatively recently that hands on for it said it was still rough, wasn't it? Hasn't it been delayed? There has also been an air of 'why do we need another TPS game in this setting when we have The Last of Us. I guess we'll see, but it's not really on my radar.

Legit?

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Metrics for this game is pretty good so far as far as new IP goes.

- From numbers standpoint, strong response to initial gameplay showcase that is on-par/better with Horizon.
- Sustained consumer interest YoY where E3 2017 gameplay demos and GameInformer gameplay still does solid numbers.

With the right marketing, timing and product quality, it's got potential to sell on par with Horizon, I'd think.

That being said, strong consumer interest still needs to cross the final stretch of convincing consumers it's worth spending the $60. Games like Fallout 76 and Mass Effect Andromeda failed the final stretch, which was why they underperformed in spite of positive metrics out-the-gate.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
I have no doubt it will be a success, but I hope it won't become a franchise. We don't need another AAA zombie franchise from Sony.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Game looks uninteresting and boring. Terrible VA and char models are not impressive. The gameplay we got shown was bog standard to incredibly meh(the horde killing demos).

It's gonna sell gangbusters though. Got zombos and is a sony exclusive.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry it looks bland af. As for the BoTW comparisons... Console warring is driving some people crazy.

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have no doubt it will be a success, but I hope it won't become a franchise. We don't need another AAA zombie franchise from Sony.
Yeah man all those AAA zombie franchises out there nowadays. There's so many of them! But like, which ones specifically are you talking about? There's so many of them I can't even think of any my brain is hurting!

Vela

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
there's always a market for sad dad murder simulator so I wouldn't be surprised despite how boring the entire concept of the game is

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
I'm just not sure why you're focusing on view counts and what "catches eyes" instead of actually showing off the mechanics.

View counts and 'what's catchy' has stronger correlation to sales potential than the depth of the mechanics, unfortunately.

Otherwise, Hitman games would be selling in the tens of millions and Arkane Studios would be the commercial darling of Bethesda.

Fanta

May 27, 2018
People in this thread still hurting that so many people like BotW that they got to bring it up in an unrelated thread to make themself feel better about another open world zombie survival game lmao yikes

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
Metrics for this game is pretty good so far as far as new IP goes.

- From numbers standpoint, strong response to initial gameplay showcase that is on-par/better with Horizon.
- Sustained consumer interest YoY where E3 2017 gameplay demos and GameInformer gameplay still does solid numbers.

With the right marketing, timing and product quality, it's got potential to sell on par with Horizon, I'd think.

That being said, strong consumer interest still needs to cross the final stretch of convincing consumers it's worth spending the $60. Games like Fallout 76 and Mass Effect Andromeda failed the final stretch, which was why they underperformed in spite of positive metrics out-the-gate.
Considering this is the next major Sony exclusive for a while, I have a hard time believing that it will under perform.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
How can I get that sweet PR money like OP got?

I'm sure it'll be fine, but good lord that post is a doozy.

Low 80's isn't reviewing well?
Depends on the narrative someone wants to push! Low 80s is a very good score indeed, but it wouldn't take long for someone to point out that it's not up to the lofty standards of Sony's current run of first party titles, Detroit: Become Human notwithstanding.

I think that it's probably going to wind up with a lot of jank in the final product, though less than what we've seen in recent demos thanks to the delay, so a high 70s/low 80s score sounds about right. I do feel like that the setting and premise could set up some disappointment for folks that were hoping for an open world zombie game that had some kind of co-op with it, but Sony may overcome that potential long-term objection yet if they can get a good story trailer out there to entice folks. Personally, I don't think I could give less of a rat's ass about the game at this point with how over zombie fiction I am in games, but I'd be crazy to deny that it's still a big pull for the mainstream and the amount of them that are also story-driven AAA experiences are surprisingly few and far between.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
There is mainstream hype but I've too many games to play currently including Spiderman and RDR2. So not buying at launch but if it turns out good I'll hopefully get it in the summer.

Pity there is no online co op. It would have been great to play it with at least and extra person

Oct 25, 2017
You've already pointed out why this will do well but the ultimate reason why? Era thinks it won't perform well. Practically guaranteed to do well and spawn sequels off that alone.

Bless.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It looks bland and generic to me (both artstyle and gameplay), but I'm glad you're excited for it OP.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
It's going to depend heavily on how Sony handle it. They seem to have their tentpole titles (The Last of Us, God of War) which get absolutely tons of exposure and then they have everything else (Gravity Rush, Everybody's Golf) which they just kinda throw out.

I feel like Days Gone is meandering between both categories. It's been treated like a tentpole and it's also been treated like "just another" game in the portfolio. I'm not sure they know what to do with it.

EssCee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OP must work for Sony Bend or Sony's PR team

This will be their "next big IP" like The Order was

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
People also need to remember that Sony are great with marketing their exclusives. I think in the weeks leading up to launch, Sony are gonna make more noise about the game releasing.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's going to sell very well, but not necessarily become a huge hit like GoW or Spiderman. And that's okay, what's important is that Sony keeps investing in big budget SP games.

I love zombie games, but I still haven't decided if I'll be getting it right away or later, probably will wait for some reviews and player feedback before making a decision.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think it will sell well. I mean, it has zombies and it's a Sony game. If it didn't sell well that would be shocking. But I expect poor reviews. Or at least mediocre
No way do I see this getting to 80 on metacritic.

Oct 26, 2017
My issues with the game from what I've seen:

1. The story stuff and tone are like... super fucking terrible. The "Rest in Peace Cult" is embarrassingly bad writing.

2. The shooting looks super dull and nowhere close to other AAA shooters.

3. I'm not sure they've shown interesting gameplay mechanics for actually dealing with hordes of enemies.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Its going to do better than what the internet would have you believe but its certainly not their biggest.

Solaris

Oct 27, 2017
Cinematic third person game with plenty of forced walking and exciting "gameplay" from Sony. Amazing and original.

It's going to depend heavily on how Sony handle it. They seem to have their tentpole titles (The Last of Us, God of War) which get absolutely tons of exposure and then they have everything else (Gravity Rush, Everybody's Golf) which they just kinda throw out.

I feel like Days Gone is meandering between both categories. It's been treated like a tentpole and it's also been treated like "just another" game in the portfolio. I'm not sure they know what to do with it.
I do think that there is some conflict in how they've been handling its appearances, and that is what makes this feel smaller than something that's less mainstream-appealing like Death Stranding. I think Dreams has the same problem with how much it's been kept out of trade shows, but the stakes are way smaller for that game.

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
You've already pointed out why this will do well but the ultimate reason why? Era thinks it won't perform well. Practically guaranteed to do well and spawn sequels off that alone.

Bless.
It's funny going back to those Horizon threads with people saying it was gonna be the most disappointing game of 2017. I don't know how this will perform critically, but Gaf/Era is clearly way off the mark sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.