• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you think BC will be a major selling point for PS5 and Xbox Series X?

• Yes

Votes: 193 75.4%
  • No

Votes: 63 24.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Backwards compatibility always comes up as a big talking point before a new gen starts. It's magnified now because of digital games, so they say, but I fail to see how that changes anything. If you needed a PS2 to use your PS2 discs, that's exactly the same thing as needing a PS4 to play PS4 downloads. Making the games intangible doesn't make backwards compatibility more attractive.

Anyway, it's obviously happening, so that being the case, it can't be a big selling point. If one had it and one didn't, then maybe.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Since we started buying our games digitally.
Not only that. Thanks to PS+ we have an ever growing backlog which would be tied to a piece of plastic you could get rid of if BC would be an actual standard thing. Also many games are cross-gen anyway, like Fortnite or Minecraft (I wonder if we get a GTAV on PS5 or XSX, as in a native port).

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah why do people want all their past game purchases available and ready on one console? It's just BEYOND me.

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This feature it's more for hardcore gamers/fans than the casual gamer. Maybe it's important here or any enthusiast forum, but overall it's not that popular.
That said, I really don't care about PS5 being compatible with PS1, PS2 and PS3, but it would be nice to have a fully enhanced PS4 BC to make the transition better and buy the console at day 1 and send the PS4 to another room or the closet, not because I want to replay all my PS4 catalog (because I'll probably not gonna play anything older since I barely have time to play new releases lol)

StonerSage

Banned
Sep 22, 2019
I am playing Ape Escape 2 right now because I missed it, I love bc. I also regularly play Super Mario Sunshine on my Wii!

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
It always was. And now that consoles are PC-like, they should learn from Steam.

My biggest disappointment on PS5, even if 98% of the library is compatible, I want all my games.

immsun

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
Rather than BC, i am more interested in Remakes.

Look how amazing SOTC turned out.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
"All of a sudden?"

55a850f2d286de1f19ae2dfe01b440fd.gif

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
OP does not have an Xbox so I'm kind of not surprised he is posting this to minimize the disadvantage of not 100% BC we just heard about PS5 with PS4 games

it's good for consumers and nobody would say no to Disabling it on capable systems just because

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I bought an X1X solely for the BC improvements on 360 and original Xbox games (though the improved performance in many 3rd party games was a nice bonus). Do I think it's a big deal for most people? Not really, but it's an important thing to me and I don't really care if most people ignore it or not.

Personally, I have used BC on every system that I've bought that included it and I would have definitely gone back and played some PS3 games I had missed if the PS4 included BC.

OP
OP

Deleted member 35631

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Because Live service games wont stop being played after a generational transition.

But don't these players keep playing in the console the game is on? Final Fantasy XI was being played many years after the PS3 release right?

I know that we are in a digital ecosystem now, but like I said, one thing is to know you still have them (like how you put old games in a box and store it), and other thing is that you actually PLAY the game. You can still have your SNES stored in your garage, but that doesn't mean you take it out and play it (much less often). So, the feature of. BC is not actually USED often.

Of course I want to know that I am being able to keep using my PS4/Xbox One games, and of course it's convenient to just download it or put it in your current console, but what I mean is that it never happens so often as to be a bother if you don't have it.

My point is about the usability of the feature, not the convenience of having it or not.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I haven't really been following — do people think the PS5 and XSeX will have BC? I probably play more old games these days than new ones so I'd love if they did.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand how BC is not an issue for people, particularly for a digital library. Imagine if Valve said "Ok with your next PC, you'll have a new version of Steam and none of your library will work."

I love my old library and play them frequently.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
I've done literally all those examples lol

And yes, there has been an added importance with digital libraries now a thing

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
"All of a sudden"? It's always been important to me, because I play my old games and don't like a bunch of consoles taking up space. It was one of my first questions when PS2 was announced.
Did you play PS1 games on your PS2?
Yes.
Did you play GameCube games on your Wii?
Yes.
Did you play GameBoy Advance games in your Nintendo DS?
Yes.
Do you play Xbox/Xbox 360 on your Xbox One?
Yes.
I mean, many people will answer YES! But how many times?
How many times will I answer yes? Looks like four times.

I still play my PS2, PS3, 3DS, 360, and such. Yeah, I'm likely to play current gen games more often than others, but I have weeks where I'm just playing 360 or PS3 still. Days where I'm just playing PS2. I'd play these old games a lot more often if they were available on one console, too!

Oct 25, 2017
I've always taken advantage of it when it's been available. So I don't know where "all of the sudden" comes from. It's a thing we've had (and not had) in the past and it's always been nicer to have it.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
For me it's just frustrating that Sony could build something genuinely pretty incredible if you had one box that played the PS1-5 libraries, and they just don't seem interested in it. Microsoft on the other hand has been doing insanely impressive stuff, but there are also only like a half dozen OG Xbox games I'd ever want to revisit, versus an uncountable number of PS2 games. The 360 stuff has been great, and Sony could have 90% of that same stuff with PS3 BC that they just aren't providing. (Yet, there always could be more announcements to come, I hope)

Fizie

Jan 21, 2018
I use it.

A better question is: Why do people suddenly get so irritated with people wanting BC? Is it because a certain console doesn't seem to be prioritising it?

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
A very large amount of games are now digital, meaning back-compat no longer requires putting in a disk. I can simply sit on my couch and decide to download Mega Man 11 and play it. Thats a huge huge part of it.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
BC is most important between generations, no BC means that your current customers arent tied to your ecosystem and are free to jump to a competitor (happened to MS early this gen) since you wont be taking your old games with you to the new box anyway.

uh that means nothing, digital vs disc, if theres no bc it doesnt matter what format the game came in.
It means a lot actually, I can (and always have) sold my physical games when I buying a new gen system. My digital would be stuck and I usually don't keep my old systems around for long due to lack of space.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
There's really no reason at all to defend the notion of not including BC now that Microsoft and Sony have both committed to it. Come on.

OP
OP

Deleted member 35631

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Already you show you're unwilling to do anything other than pontificate. It's important to me.

We all know people were whining! Even people that had the original PS3 and still had the BC were whining. But as I said, is not the same to USE it as to HAVE it. if you have it and don't use it, the feature is irrelevant to have.

Oct 27, 2017
main-qimg-145ce667ad483bd3b452e56beaa8b08c.webp

I still remember how crazy it seemed to my tiny self when I first tried doing this and it actually worked. Backwards compatibility has always been important to me ever since and I always think it's strange when someone on the internet doesn't care that their older games can work on their newer systems.

I say on the internet because I've never talked to someone in person that had anything bad to say about this. More likely they get mad when their old shit won't work on their new shit.

TheJackdog

Oct 27, 2017
I don't want all the games I bought digitally to suddenly be inaccessible on a more expensive piece of hardware.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
I have a massive digital library at this point on PS4, and I want all of those games to work and play on my ps5 so I don't have to keep a ton of waste in my house, and because I would love to still play through my backlog on one machine.

this isn't all of a sudden, and plenty of us from the old site have been complaining about this since the beginning of this gen.

Status
Not open for further replies.