• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you think BC will be a major selling point for PS5 and Xbox Series X?

• Yes

Votes: 193 75.4%
  • No

Votes: 63 24.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 35631

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
I don't get it. Every since Sony removed PS2 backwards compatibility from the PS3, everyone has been whining about not having BC in a console. But, in al seriousness, do people ACTUALLY use it?

I would like to know, all of you here how many times did you play a game from a past generation?
Did you play PS1 games on your PS2?
Did you play GameCube games on your Wii?
Did you play GameBoy Advance games in your Nintendo DS?
Do you play Xbox/Xbox 360 on your Xbox One?

I mean, many people will answer YES! But how many times? There's no way the majority of the people spend so much time playing older games! I don't think this is a feature that people actually use to be so important.

With that said, I think with the PS4 (actually PS3, but the architecture is different and it made a mess), it's a little bit more comprehensible because the games are digital in the most part. With a PS2/Xbox game you could just sell it and get rid of everything if you wanted, or just store it in a box until you opened it 10 years later, but with PS4/Xbox One games, people have huge digital libraries.

But with that said! I still think that very few people will actually continue playing PS4/Xbox One games once the new consoles are released, and the number will only be lower after the first or second year.

Microsoft is doing a great job with it, because since it's being enhanced, it can feel like a new experience. We still don't know if PS4 games will be enhanced or not, or if there will be BC for PS1/PS2/PS3 yet (I don't think so). However, I would love to see hard data from Microsoft to know people is actually playing older games.

So we have Microsoft that is taking BC to create a whole Xbox ecosystem, and Sony and Nintendo that don't care as much. Nintendo had the great idea to sell them again with Virtual Console, but they seem to have abandon that idea (maybe people weren't buying enough games?)

Which strategy will be the best for each company in the long run? For me, it's the modern games that sell consoles, not the ability to play older ones.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because digital ecosystems are a thing now. Also, as more hardware becomes available, it's more important to have some space under your television.

Ragona

Oct 26, 2017
Because Live service games wont stop being played after a generational transition.
People invest much more time and money into single games these days, and having your library on a platform makes you much less likely to switch to the competition.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have hundreds of ÂŁs worth of PS4 games, a lot of which are digital only. I would kinda appreciate knowing how exactly playing them on a PS5 works.

I don't get what you don't get about that OP.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
LOL. Who would want generations of amazing games on one system??

tarman76

Oct 27, 2017
"Whining" about consumer rights, huh?

I shows that a company values the money you invest in their ecosystem.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
BC is most important between generations, no BC means that your current customers arent tied to your ecosystem and are free to jump to a competitor (happened to MS early this gen) since you wont be taking your old games with you to the new box anyway.

Since we started buying our games digitally.
uh that means nothing, digital vs disc, if theres no bc it doesnt matter what format the game came in.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
I played PS1 games on my PS2. I played GBA games in my DS. I played GB games in GBA. I still play DS games in my 3DS.

BC is very important as I still have games. I would love a way to play my PS2 and PS3 games without having to plug them in all the time. Especially the PS2. Hell even the PSP.

It's also a major selling point of me getting an XBO at some point, there's tons of Xbox and 360 games I never owned so I get to have the entire ecosystem of software there.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I absolutely played my Gamecube games on the Wii, same with GBA games on the DS.

I haven't really touched BC on the Xbox One, but I've been thinking of firing up Red Dead 1 again.

I'd love PS backwards compatibility because I have a bunch of PS3 games I've never touched and I have no clue where my PS3 went.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
"since when its soooo important to keep your library instead of buying everything again"
since i started playing games

Misterhbk

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I only play BC games on my xbox one. I just dont find MS games very interesting and since PS4 cznt play PS3 games, it's the best and only option for digging into those games.

Been playing Dragon Age Origins recently. Such a fantastic game.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Huge digital library, people scared Sony not going to bother patching hundreds of titles, issue full price remasters that are just patched versions of already existing titles.

Big Yoshi

Nov 25, 2018
I have 600+ songs in rockband and 100% of my decision to buy a ps5 vs xbsx is whether the instruments will be compatible along with the game itself.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Yes.
Yes.
Yes.
Yes.

I don't know how widespread people like me are, but my Wii replaced my GameCube once I had it plugged in. I used it for my GC library for years. I used my DS for my GBA library for years, too. Xbox One's 360 backwards compatibility was how I finally finished Lost Odyssey, among others. I played all kinds of PS1 games on my PS2. I have so many PS3 games that I own but haven't touched because it's a huge hassle having to plug in my PS3 to play them. I just don't have the space to plug it in. Backwards compatibility is hugely important for me and I'm still waiting to see what kind of support we'll get. I'm not hopeful Sony will make PS3 games compatible, though.

pillowtalk

Oct 10, 2018
It happens every launch time. I'll be disappointed if people don't show disappointment when ps6 comes out.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Because digital and service games. I could count the number of digital games on both systems I had last gen on 2 hands (not including PS+). This gen on PS4 alone I have well over 100 (not including PS+), XB1 is well over both last gen systems combined too.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
Backwards compatibility is a huge selling point to me. I've gone back and played a lot of games I've missed from previous gens--and have opted to not do so because I hate the hassle of pulling out my PS3. I have so many games I've been wanting to play (would love to play DA:I and DA:2) but simply haven't gotten around to because I'd rather have it all in one. Would I use it every single day? No--but there's plenty of older content I'd like to experience that I don't because it's not just easily accessible.

I for sure will go back n play em. In the last like...5 years or so I've played at least 13 GBA games--because I still have my SP and it's not clunky, but I would have happily played em via backwards compatibility or ports if they were available.

Every since Sony removed PS2 backwards compatibility from the PS3, everyone has been whining about not having BC in a console.

LMAO @ this in comparison to the title.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
RCU005

There's no reason for people's investment into digital ecosystems to vanish into the ether when console manufacturers are technologically capable of facilitating this. End of story. It's not hard to understand. The shift to digital changed expectations to be in line with the way that damn near every other form of digital media works in the year 2020.

Imagine how myopic someone would look for supporting a new form of media player that doesn't support blu-ray or traditional digital media codecs in 2020.

"...I think NEW movies are what sell these devices! Not the ability to watch old movies."

Eyes would be rolling down the street.

uh that means nothing, digital vs disc, if theres no bc it doesnt matter what format the game came in.
It means everything, you're just looking at it from the wrong angle.

Digital media tends to be mostly device-agnostic everywhere else. PC gaming, movies, music, books, you name it. Consumers purchase products digitally these days. Their investment on other devices can be carried forward to the next device. That's important.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It has always been important.

And yes to all of your questions.
I'm dying to be able to play my PSP and PS Vita games on the main console. Not to mention PS1 and PS2. Sony's legacy needs to be preserved. I love being able to play old games without the original hardware. It is not realistic to keep so many generations of hardware plugged into my receiver.

Ridiculous that some people are so invested in claiming how unimportant it is, how the titles don't sell.

I bought my Xbox One X due to it having XB and 360 BC.

Nintendo is an even bigger face plant. Oof they messed it up with Switch.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
Digital catalogs and live service games makes it more important I guess. Live games probably just get ported though. Enhancments make it a good feature imo which ps5 doesnt have. I like hdr backporting and 4k xbox one games a lot, thats something I would use. Running old games as is isnt very interesting to me.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I have 600+ songs in rockband and 100% of my decision to buy a ps5 vs xbsx is whether the instruments will be compatible along with the game itself.

as far as i remember full compatibility with controllers that worked on the x1 was already granted for the series x

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
It has always been important for enthusiasts that visit places like Era.

Mainstream audience though? They don't care outside of the most recent generation since they made a lot of digital purchases.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
It's always been important to me. In the digital world even more so. I lost soooooooo much content in the jump from PS3 to PS4 that I bought a fraction of digital games this gen than I did last.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
Options are good but I still don't really care about it. I've played most of the PS4/XBO games I care about at this point. If I ever feel like playing stuff trapped on old systems, I'll pick up a dirt cheap used console.

OneThirtyEight

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I would like to know, all of you here how many times did you play a game from a past generation?
Yes
Never owned a Gamecube, so no
Yes
Yes

I even played Master System on Mega Drive. And GB/GBC on GBA.

Status
Not open for further replies.