Nov 23, 2017
They even spin up fine:

Obviously the laser doesn't read dvds because it's not a dvd laser, but did this just come down to licensing? Was the tiny disc format not licensed itself though?

I don't remember what game but at least one big third party game didn't get a gc port or had a severely cut down version because of the smaller disc format space. Does anyone know which game it was?

Oct 25, 2017
They even spin up fine:

Obviously the laser doesn't read dvds because it's not a dvd laser, but did this just come down to licensing? Was the tiny disc format not licensed itself though?

I don't remember what game but at least one big third party game didn't get a gc port or had a severely cut down version because of the smaller disc format space. Does anyone know which game it was?
Your video straight up talks about how he has a specially modified case to be able to hold the DVD.

Also, it is a DVD format, just not full sized, and most games didn't need more than the one disc -- those that did easily fit two disks inside of the case.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They even spin up fine:

The game in question was Burnout 3, where the GameCube port was canceled.

bluehat9

Oct 25, 2017
This was moving them kicking and screaming away from cartridges, but still having control and trying to stop piracy, right?

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
I've always wondered how the GC would've done if it had a DVD player. That was one of the PS2's killer features, especially for the more casual crowd.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Lower latency/seek times? Coming from cartridges I think they wanted to try to cut that down.

(However I don't know if it would be any better vs a data layout on a normal dvd that focussed data around the center of the disc... but I think I recall at the time, talk of lower latency access)

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
I've always wondered how the GC would've done if it had a DVD player. That was one of the PS2's killer features, especially for the more casual crowd.

Part of me always wanted the Panasonic Q to come out here.

uZeIAdp.png

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
the DVD format was new and they'd have to license them from Sony which ...of course ... at that time ...nah. That's why you make your own. Note how they also never used Blu-rays. They had another propriety format for Wii U discs (dem round edges!).

That's also why their drives never read regular "DVDs" or "CDs" - because of licensing they'd have to sort out with Sony, who owns all of those.

welp, internet lies.

Last edited:

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Might have been an earlier decision, but the DC shenanigans was going on around that time.

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
1: piracy: They saw what happened with the previous gen CD based systems and were scared
2: They enjoyed a mighty hefty manufacturing fee for producing carts for third party studios to print games. They wanted a way to cary that over to the GQ and disk media
3: They thought they knew better than everyone else

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
Same reason they went with cartridges for the N64, theyre Nintendo and do their own weird thing, even when its a decision that hurts them.

burger rain

Banned
Jul 29, 2019
It's Nintendo's design philosophy that every system must have at least one baffling and anachronistic design decision.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Loading times being faster than the big discs, piracy, uniqueness, etc. They wanted to reduce loading times to be as near cart-like as possible (they were still coming off of the N64) which the mini discs are.

RobFox64tm

Oct 30, 2017
Though I hated it at the time, now I can appreciate the smaller discs as a collector. Makes the GameCube unique.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017

Wouldn't have mattered. Powerful momentum of Playstation branding created by the PSOne + purple lunchbox image + poor 3rd party support is what ultimately mattered most and doomed the Gamecube to low sales.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
1: piracy: They saw what happened with the previous gen CD based systems and were scared
2: They enjoyed a mighty hefty manufacturing fee for producing carts for third party studios to print games. They wanted a way to carry that over to the GC and disk media
3: They thought they knew better than everyone else

Bingo. The manufacturing fee isn't a small source of income for them. Still is a thing to this day with Switch, AFAIK.

Tiggleton

Banned
Apr 25, 2019
Though I hated it at the time, now I can appreciate the smaller discs as a collector. Makes the GameCube unique.

Why did you hate them? I never had a problem with the discs as a kid. In fact I liked them at the time because I thought it was this cool new medium. Didn't really see mini DVDs in the wild outside from Gamecube games.

OP
OP
Velocity:Design:Comfort
Nov 23, 2017
Your video straight up talks about how he has a specially modified case to be able to hold the DVD.

Also, it is a DVD format, just not full sized, and most games didn't need more than the one disc -- those that did easily fit two disks inside of the case.
But I meant the GameCube would have the same dimensions, not that the tray literally is the right size

joesiv

Banned
Feb 9, 2018
Funny fact, the later gamecube devkits accepted standard DVD disk for builds. Earlier versions require super expensive carts lol...

J Snow

Oct 25, 2017
Crazy to think Nintendo did something so impractical to prevent piracy but Nintendo is so bad now days at securing their systems.

saladdays

Sep 11, 2018
I agree with more or less everyone here that it was partially to get rid of piracy, but I also think that the smaller discs pushed a more kid friendly image. I think they realized that there was no way they could do cartridges again, but they still wanted to do something that appears "safer" than normal discs. The GC discs being small enough for a very small child to insert with no trouble whatsoever seems like an intentional choice to me.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Crazy to think Nintendo did something so impractical to prevent piracy but Nintendo is so bad now days at securing their systems.

The latter part is actually not true in fact the Switch has a very secure OS. The problem was a hardware oversight on nvidia's part which made an exploit possible.

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I've always assumed that it was just Yamauchi being too stubborn and prideful to adopt the standard format.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
I miss the GameCube and everything about it. The boot up, the controller, the small discs, the look of the console, and even the memory cards.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
They were so cute...and absurdly small. I guess it wouldn't be Nintendo if their initial piracy paranoid move to a new storage format wasn't hamstrung somehow.

I also always feel like I'm alone whenever the Panasonic Q is mentioned, because I think it's hideous and always has been. The tacky blue lights, the entire thing being coated in ostentatious chrome and gloss...yuck.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
two reasons:

-Complete control of disc production via propietary format
-harder and costlier to pirate

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I think they even burned the discs in reverse so pirates at home would have trouble burning onto a mini disc with a normal burner.

saladdays

Sep 11, 2018
The latter part is actually not true in fact the Switch has a very secure OS. The problem was a hardware oversight on nvidia's part which made an exploit possible.
It's also important to note that Nintendo's hacking community is probably the most fervent one out there. The only console I remember being even slightly as big as the last few Nintendo consoles hacking-wise was maybe the PSP or PS2.