• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
The dual shock 1 and Gran Turismo 1 launched together, selling analog steering AND gas/break. So day one dual analog was supporting this.

If you think the shoulders of a SNES or Saturn pad would be better that face buttons then I have to wonder if you over ever tried it.

Btw paddles in cars are used for
Shifting, not the gas and brake. And generally the shoulder buttons were used for shifting so ...

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
You're thinking of things from modern times, where analog triggers are standard. There was no reason to use the top buttons for acceleration or braking when they were digital. As soon as the XBOX controller hit, the shift to using the top buttons happened. The DS2 didn't use the XBOX style trigger, so even though they were analog, there wasn't much reason.

The dual shock 1 and Gran Turismo 1 launched together, selling analog steering AND gas/break. So day one dual analog was supporting this.

If you think the shoulders of a SNES or Saturn pad would be better that face buttons then I have to wonder if you over ever tried it.

Btw paddles in cars are used for
Shifting, not the gas and brake. And generally the shoulder buttons were used for shifting so ...

DualShock 1 did not have analog buttons, that was added with the DualShock 2.

Salty Soup

Oct 25, 2017
I think the first game I played where accelerate wasn't on a face button by default was Cruisin USA on 64. Didn't like it at the time.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
I've been thinking about this for a while after playing a bunch of retro racers this weekend.

We've had shoulder Buttons since the 80s and they're far more natural of acceleration and deceleration (I mean paddles exist in cars and have for a long time) why did this awkward system come about and why did it take until the 360/ps3 era to be finally beaten?
Do you accelerate and decelerate with paddles in real cars?

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe that person's referring to using the right analog stick for acceleration/braking? Could you do that in the first GT?

it's definitely possible, but i don't think people consider analog sticks face buttons, so it kind of goes against that. and it was very non-standard, not many people ended up using that.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
I guess it was the standard.

I prefer shoulder buttons/triggers though.

Last edited:

terrible1fi

Jun 4, 2019
because l and r were not pressure sensitive, instead they were on off switches so it wouldn't have made a difference

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking about shoulder accel for Mario kart sounds like a nightmare. I skipped consoles for the most part for two gens until I learned how to drive in crackdown and grand theft auto iv, what a trip.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Until shoulder buttons were analog, there wouldn't really have been a point. Clicking a digital shoulder button isn't any more like pressing down an accelerator than pressing a digital face button.

Also in 1991 when SNES released, shoulder buttons were new and not an intuitive way to input, yet.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
Why are triggers better?

I still use face buttons for acceleration and braking as well as the D-Pad to steer (gearing is done with L1 and R1) for all racing games I play. I'm way more competitive using that set-up than triggers. It feels a lot more natural. When you need to correct a slide it's much easier for me to modulate inputs (acceleration and steering) to catch a slide than triggers and thumb-sticks.

I expect arcade racers are even better for face buttons than GT, for instance, too!
Driving a real a car involves a pressure sensitive pedal for gas and acceleration and the steering wheel is a linear wheel where the driver can choose how quickly they want to turn it. For gas and brakes, using a digital input for either in a real car means it's 100% or 0% which means you're always peeling out from a stop, over accelerating out of turns, and you're always slamming the brakes. That translates directly back into video game racing. Feathering and maintaining variable percentages for throttle and brakes are really important in Motorsport, video game or otherwise.

For the wheel it's about having control over how fast you turn the wheel. The dpad being digital means 1 speed which is 100, having the range on the stick means you can both ease into turns and cut quick when necessary

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
Driving a real a car involves a pressure sensitive pedal for gas and acceleration and the steering wheel is a linear wheel where the driver can choose how quickly they want to turn it. For gas and brakes, using a digital input for either in a real car means it's 100% or 0% which means you're always peeling out from a stop, over accelerating out of turns, and you're always slamming the brakes. That translates directly back into video game racing. Feathering and maintaining variable percentages for throttle and brakes are really important in Motorsport, video game or otherwise.

For the wheel it's about having control over how fast you turn the wheel. The dpad being digital means 1 speed which is 100, having the range on the stick means you can both ease into turns and cut quick when necessary
I drive myself too so I know but it doesn't translate for me well enough on triggers. I've used a steering wheel with pedals too and I didn't like it.

For me face buttons and D-Pad has always felt better. I feel way more in-control. I don't know why but it works way better for me.

The only sticking point is the sensitivity. Not too much of a bother for arcade games but for Project CARS, Assetto Corsa, WRC or Gran Turismo it matters. Luckily Gran Turismo has perfected the maechanic but the others leave a lot to be desired, even though they have mechanics in place to compensate.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
Couldnt you play Sega Rally on the Saturn with the Nights Controller?

Maybe I am misremembering?

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Shoulder buttons were not universal or universally implemented until the mid to late 90s. Even after they were they were usually reserved for auxillary actions not primary actions. On playstation they were spongy and not satisfying and for primary action like break and accelerate you wanted something responsive. Using them to look left and right or back made sense at the time.

Also no racing games I can remember had floating cameras so your right thumb was free to sit on the face buttons, not an analog stick. There might be one or two but it wasn't common, cameras were usually fixed and you used a button if you wanted to look left or right, holding both of them to look back.

Thinking back the first major game I remember that used shoulder buttons for primary actions was Ape Escape. And it was a novel concept from my memory, made sense because it's the first major game for me that made full use of two analog sticks. I'm sure there were others but that was the first action game I remember where primary action controls were mapped to shoulder buttons.

It wasn't natural or common. These days almost all shooting games use the shoulders too, left to aim, right to fire, but back on playstation and N64 that wasn't the case either.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Couldnt you play Sega Rally on the Saturn with the Nights Controller?

Maybe I am misremembering?
There are definitely Saturn racers that can use the 3D controller triggers, I'm not sure on Sega Rally specifically, maybe a later revision? Edit: googling suggests this to be the case.

I have seen some insist that it's the only way to play Sega Touring Car.

Last edited:

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
which 80s console had shoulder buttons?
Exactly my question

The only shoulder buttons on a I know of from the 80s were prototype Super Famicom control pads shown in 1988/1988.

LB5xnoJ.jpg

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Honestly I still kind of prefer face buttons for racing games. I think I'd be fine if we removed triggers entirely.

RobotHaus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mars University
I think depending on the game you don't even need an acceleration button. Thank goodness for MK8 auto-accelerate. Less stress on the controller for longer sessions.

Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
I've been thinking about this for a while after playing a bunch of retro racers this weekend.

We've had shoulder Buttons since the 80s and they're far more natural of acceleration and deceleration (I mean paddles exist in cars and have for a long time) why did this awkward system come about and why did it take until the 360/ps3 era to be finally beaten?

Dreamcast popularised triggers for acceleration and braking long before this.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Living through the SNES/PS1 generation I wouldn't have agreed with this. The only reason we consider them analogous to the accelerator and brake now is because we're used to that. We werent used to it back then - shoulder buttons were generally used for secondary functions like hopping or gliding.

B/X was always your primary input. Jumping in action games or accelerating in racing games etc.
This is the answer, I remember when playing games on the SNES, L+R were always relegated to extra actions(Cycle weapons in MMX, Hold out sword in Soul Blazer) or even just not used(Link to the past).

Even come PS1, where games were getting more complicated, there was still this aversion to using anything other than thumbs for input.

skobuffs

Mar 21, 2021
Have you held an SNES controller recently? There aren't any handles like modern controllers so you don't have much leverage to counter the pressure on the shoulder. I just picked one up while reading this. You basically have to squeeze the face and back in order to hold L or R for an extended period of time. Using the triggers for acceleration just doesn't ergonomically work.