• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
Serviceability. The IBM/Lenovo laptops I had at my previous gig for 10 years were all durable, pretty reliable, and the HDD/SSD was easily swappable for hardware replacement.

Also durability. The aluminum and glass and low-bezel/bezel-free displays and such is nice, but it dents easier than sturdy plastic. And the LCD with bezels help protect it from damage.

I use a 2015 Mac pro right now at work...guess how I replace the SSD if it fails? I don't. Part of the reason 99% of the company doesn't use them (also the constant issues with good AD integration, group policy, help desk support, etc).

This is it right here.

Dell, Lenovo and HP business grade laptops aren't all slim beauties because of servicing and repairs. At the corporate/business/premium level they all offer next day onsite technician repairs so the parts all need to be easily and quickly replaced. Durability, ease of replacement and minimal downtime for the user are king in that space.

Webcam goes in that matebook? You'll likely need an entirely new top half. Keyboard or trackpad dies? you'll probably need a whole new bottom half. Doing the transplant in itself will likely be a pain in the ass as well.

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
OP's ugly work laptop is my personal laptop :D

I don't find my XPS 15 ugly. I love it!

Flygon

Oct 28, 2017
I like using a chonky business laptop though. My ThinkPad L570 is my main workhorse for web browsing and chat - keeping that stuff airgapped away from the gaming desktop is useful more often than not.

I like the nice chunky industrial look to it.

Slimline business laptops do bother me though - I've seen too many fall apart because of the LCD hinge. Or literally fry themselves.

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah gonna echo that Dell XPS look good. Some people have them in our office and I got mine just before they started giving those...

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
This is it right here.

Dell, Lenovo and HP business grade laptops aren't all slim beauties because of servicing and repairs. At the corporate/business/premium level they all offer next day onsite technician repairs so the parts all need to be easily and quickly replaced. Durability, ease of replacement and minimal downtime for the user are king in that space.

Webcam goes in that matebook? You'll likely need an entirely new top half. Keyboard or trackpad dies? you'll probably need a whole new bottom half. Doing the transplant in itself will likely be a pain in the ass as well.

Didn't even do that when I would go to the depot. Laptop bad? Pull HDD caddy, pop in same model laptop, walk back out. 10 minute stop.

HDD died? Restore backup to HDD, pop in laptop, back up and running in like less than an hour.

Assume at some point the bad hardware gets RMA'd or whatever, probably in bulk.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Laptops are no longer the bulky ass things they were 15 years ago. Not that I agree but why do you need something sexy for work anyways? Function over form.

MrChillaxx

Banned
Jan 13, 2018
I mean, they are work laptops, they are (generally, if the IT deparment isn't made up by TeCh EnThUsIaStS) chosen for reliability and ease of repair ? Did you want some g4m3r aesthetic kind of computer with rgbs or some ultra thin hipster stuff that throttles when you look at it? Buy one for yourself and put some flaming wings stickers on the work pc if it really bothers you this much.

Just seems like a manufactured issue out of bored really.

Golden

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
I work on a regular company with typical cubicles and layout. It's a regular white collar job in an office setting.

After many years of having a desk PC, I finally got a new laptop. The specs are top notch. The basics are:

- Intel i9
- 1TB SSD NVME
- Nvidia Quadro P1000
- 32GB of RAM
- Thunderbolt 3

But why do they have to be so butt ugly? Thick low quality plastic. Ugly fonts on the keyboard. Plastic here and plastic there. It's a Dell Precision (can't remember the model), but it's the typical boring office computer.

My personal computer is a Huawei Matebook 13, and that thing is a thing of beauty. Even if I'm not using it, I can really admire the craftsmanship of the device

But those Dell laptops that are in use all around the world in business environments are the most boring and ugly pieces of technology.

QI2RPls.jpg
Is that not an xps? It looks nice.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
Just for comparison, this is my Huawei laptop. Full aluminum body. Extremely thin bezels. Glass trackpad with a beautiful designed keyboard.

Why can't Dell design something like this for enterprise users?

HLeUuitl.jpg

kYsyjRTl.jpg

QkeUwQHl.jpg
how big is your company? How many would you company need to buy to equip every employee with one? How much does your personal laptop cost vs your work one? What's the warranty service look like? Would you coworkers treat them with as much care as their personal laptops? What's the cost of repair? What about those leaving? Wouldn't a nicer laptop give them more reason not to return their work machine?

All comes down to cost. No need to buy nicer looking laptops as it won't increase productivity, the ROI doesn't make sense.

Allietraa

Prophet of Truth
Mar 13, 2019
The Dell in the OP looks better than most of the other stuff that has been posted ITT. It's not gonna win any awards but it looks waaaaay better than a Thinkpad or that Matebook lol

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
This is my main laptop (HP Elitebook 8770W)

It's ugly as shit, heavy as hell, but it works and it works great.

Going on two years with it now and it still does everything that I need it to do.

Business don't need their computers to look good, they need them to work with the least amount of downtime as possible. Having an all in one thin computer will be a huge pain in the ass when the internal storage takes a shit and you can't just toss in a new hard drive, kick an image down to it and have the machine back up and running.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
My office only uses MacBooks and managers actually prefer the older ones because they have more ports and are more useful in meetings and such.

I think that Dell in the OP looks really good.

ThinkPads are ugly but they're built like a tank and I get the appeal.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I seriously love the keyboard on my dell laptop, but it's so bulky. I wish we got thinner ones.

Sober

Oct 25, 2017
My laptop at works sits in a dock 99% of the time so it doesn't need to look pretty. But it does the 1% of the time I need it but need to leave my desk

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
I think the XPS line looks fine. Most Inspirons are ugly though.

I have a Thinkpad X230 and T490 and like both. At least they come in black I've disliked the look of the silver Apple notebooks since the Powerbook or whatever.

VCWlWVH.jpg
My first computer was a 1998 Thinkpad and it's amazing how the design has stayed almost the same for over twenty years

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Most businesses are not about spending money for your shit to look good or to make you happy.

They want to make as much money as possible so they are going to cheap out on whatever they can.

OP
OP
FernandoRocker
Oct 25, 2017
México
Most businesses are not about spending money for your shit to look good or to make you happy.

They want to make as much money as possible so they are going to cheap out on whatever they can.
But that's the thing. Those business laptops are not cheap. The model in the OP is a Dell Precision 5530, and it starts at $1500 USD with the lowest specs.

JealousKenny

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Every job I've worked in the last 25 years has provided me with a laptop, a dock, and a monitor. It shouldnt come as a surprise that they don't care how "beautiful" the laptop is when most people aren't using it in that mode.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I quite like the simplicity of Dell Latitudes. They are tough but still sleek enough. Can't believe you don't think that Precision is nice. Inspirons can be rough but the business stuff is nice from mid to high tier.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
That laptop looks fine OP. You should see some of the stuff I've worked with over the years.

Yeah it's not super luxurious, but businesses care more about performance than aesthetics.

It's like getting a job driving a forklift and complaining it doesn't have nice rims or a spoiler.

Edit: doesn't help that you basically have to throw away a lot of the nicer consumer laptops if they break.

Dell will literally come to you and fix it on the spot if they can figure out what's wrong with it over the phone. Microsoft will just throw away a Surface Pro if something breaks and hands you a new one. Which is a nightmare if your users aren't backing up their data like they're supposed to.

Last edited:

hephaestus

Oct 28, 2017
I dont really understand the complaint the lap top is a tool. I have never looked at my wrenches and thought "Ya they do the job but I wish they were sexier looking"

Rackham

Oct 25, 2017
That laptops specs are pretty beastly for being a work laptop. What field are you in

jey_16

Oct 28, 2017
Be grateful, your lucky to get a new laptop! My cheap ass company just recycles 3 year old HP laptops that have been beaten to hell. Battery life is atrocious as well

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Making laptops look pretty often compromises reliability and they are supposed to look professional.

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
I have that same laptop as the OP. It's trash. I've had the usb C port replaced twice. It's constantly overheating and I can't leave it unplugged over night or it completely dies. My other coworkers laptop started smoking on Friday right before we left.