• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gonzalez

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because... Make Some Noise! Expat! You think you can tell us what to do? You think you can tell us what to wear? You think that you're better? Well you better get ready to bow to the masters. Suck it!
DeepPiercingCanadagoose-small.gif

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Yeah I've always felt expat has some snobbish feel to it so I've always called myself an immigrant.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
The "they plan to go back" is bollocks, plenty of people use the term when they just moved there and work indefinitely. It just sounds cooler than immigrant in their mind.
The whole issue seems to stem from the fact that a lot of people don't even seem to understand the meaning including lots of folks in this thread.

I can understand why people would misuse it too - the word immigrant has been unfairly demonized by assholes.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, a lot of expats end up staying permanently, and a lot of expats/migrants who are only visiting for work on a temporary basis who aren't white or from a traditionally white ethno-centric region or country, still get called migrants none-the-less.

I've employed many Eastern Europeans, South Asians etc, who've only been here on a temporary basis or on short term work visas, and they've still never had the privilege of being referred to as expats. There is a definite double standard in how these terms are applied, and the implied inferences, which often does largely boil down to race or nationality.

This would be my opinion on it. While the definition may be clear (intent to live vs just for work) Asian workers in the Middle East or Mexican seasonal workers in the US never seem to be called expats. There are definitely class and race connotations I feel.

Expat (short for expatriate) = Someone who still identifies with their native country, doesn't want citizenship or permanent residence in a new country
Immigrant = Someone who wants to make a new country their permanent (permanent resident/citizen) home

In US terms, someone working in the US on a temporary visa is an expat. Someone who intends to stay and make the US their permanent home, or has gotten their green card or acquired citizenship is an immigrant.
All the folks I know who call themselves expats are from the UK, have been in Germany for 30+ years, are married to Germans and have German passports.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
People resorting to dictionaries are kinda ignoring actual usage, and the fact that dictionaries often omit nuance and subtext.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Lots of assess hanging out. I would call myself an expat because I haven't decided if I want to stay permanently or not. I'm not white

NervousXtian

Oct 27, 2017
There's a difference between an expat and a immigrant typically in that one is moving to a better situation than their home country, typically economically or politically... the other is moving to another country laterally or even to one economically worse off.

Think of it as one is moving up in the world, the other staying the same.

optimiss

May 17, 2018
It seems like people are projecting their own biases and insecurities onto some rigidly defined terms.

I lived in Saudi Arabia for 7 years in my youth and everyone who worked for multinational companies or foreign militaries, and were just there for their jobs, were called expats, regardless of race.

Blackflag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I get it but expats are usually only refered as expats by the country you are exiting not entering.

As an example. If I leave America I'm an expat if I enter panama I'm an immigrant. I've only ever heard it used in those terms.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
People restoring to dictionaries are kinda ignoring actual usage, and the fact that dictionaries often omit nuance and subtext.
I think its fair to say that yes shit head racists will not want to be referred to as immigrants while at the same time there are plenty of minorities and non-racist white people who also use the expat term because they don't plan on staying in that country forever.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
If we're resorting to anecdotes, then we have them on both sides.
Yes. On one side it's people saying "I've heard these two words used with undertones connected to perceptions of race and privalidge", and on the other side it's people saying "I've not heard or noticed these words used with those undertones".

Both groups can be correct, but the second groups perception doesn't overrule the first.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Hard to be racist and anti-immigrant if you're an immigrant yourself. Being an ex-pat allows you to remain a garbage racist

Have you read through this thread at all or are you just making another dumb post like some of the other people who wanted to be "progressive" without actually know what they're talking about?

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
Hard to be racist and anti-immigrant if you're an immigrant yourself. Being an ex-pat allows you to remain a garbage racist
Expat is used by racists now?

It's pretty simple how the terminology is usually used...
"I'm an expat <insert nationality here>" or "I'm an immigrant" or "I'm an immigrant from <insert country here>".

Expat implies you're an immigrant. It also implies you are a temporary immigrant, which means you are more likely to be pro-immigration or you wouldn't even be permitted to enjoy your temporary stay. Versus someone who is a PR or new citizen whose status is much harder to revoke.

Expat is almost always used by people who have a shorter stay, hence are more likely to mention or identify with their country of origin. The longer you stay in a country, the more you realize your place of origin is less important. I say that as someone who has used the term and emigrated 15 years ago. This thread is hot-take central.

Deathman

Oct 25, 2017
Have you read through this thread at all or are you just making another dumb post like some of the other people who wanted to be "progressive" without actually know what they're talking about?

This is poor phrasing on my part. Ex-pat is a term usually used by the daily fail to describe pretty much any English person not living within England and also used by alt right groups like Britain first as a term almost solely restricted to English migrants to describe them in a more favorable light than the immigrants working in Britain that they blame for literally everything. That's what my post was directed at.

Don't instantly jump into defensive mode, my post was worded poorly and should've reflected my point better, you can leave the condescension somewhere else I don't post anything to appear "Progressive"

Expat is used by racists now?

It's pretty simple how the terminology is usually used...
"I'm an expat <insert nationality here>" or "I'm an immigrant" or "I'm an immigrant from <insert country here>".

Expat implies you're an immigrant. It also implies you are a temporary immigrant, which means you are more likely to be pro-immigration or you wouldn't even be permitted to enjoy your temporary stay. Versus someone who is a PR or new citizen whose status is much harder to revoke.

Expat is almost always used by people who have a shorter stay, hence are more likely to mention or identify with their country of origin. The longer you stay in a country, the more you realize your place of origin is less important. I say that as someone who has used the term and emigrated 15 years ago. This thread is hot-take central.

See above. I'm not attacking everyone using the term I'm applying it mainly to several English conservative/ alt right groups and also towards some others within Europe. Not everyone who may be an Ex-Pat in the actual sense of the word. I was an Ex-pat myself when I took part in the J1 visa program in college to work in the US for a couple of summers.

You only have to look at the Brexit vote to see how Expat is used there, British "Ex-pats" in Spain were astonished that them voting for Brexit could lead to them having to acquire a visa.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
See above. I'm not attacking everyone using the term I'm applying it mainly to several English conservative/ alt right groups and also towards some others within Europe. Not everyone who may be an Ex-Pat in the actual sense of the word. I was an Ex-pat myself when I took part in the J1 visa program in college to work in the US for a couple of summers.

You only have to look at the Brexit vote to see how Expat is used there, British "Ex-pats" in Spain were astonished that them voting for Brexit could lead to them having to acquire a visa.
In the modern meaning, anyone who leaves their native country is an expatriate, regardless of their reasoning. Every dictionary reflects this definition.

I too am one in the traditional sense, moving under a skilled migrant visa and now with citizenship. Every single British person I've ever met has called themselves an expat and I live in an area where you come across them pretty often. This is in North America. I'm also originally from Sydney which is backpacker central. I don't think it's a dog-whistle for racism, it's a fairly entrenched word in British vocabulary.

StrayDog

Avenger
Jul 14, 2018
expat is such weird word... why avoid using migrant or immigrant but I can't deny that people use it because sound more elegant LOL

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
But "because they are racist" is a statement full of nuance.
A statement can lack nuance whilst still understanding the nuance of the subject it's discussing.

Similarly, a statement can contain nuance, whilst not understanding he nuance of a subject it is discussing.

Much like reductionist yet accurate statements about how people's use of expat vs immigrant is rooted in racism and privileged, and how dictionary definitions can be verbose on explaining grammatical syntax, but completely ignore actual usage and subtext.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
I've watched tons of House Hunters International, and the American or British family moving to another country 99% of the time refers to themselves as expats, or the show's narrator does. This is even the case when they're settling down in a new country for good.

I've honestly never noticed a white person calling themselves an immigrant. They may not call themselves an ex-pat, but I honestly can't remember them ever saying "As an immigrant, etc. etc."

House_Of_Lightning

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Lot of bad answers in this thread who compensate for being wrong by being edgy:

Expats - Temporary

Migrant - Citizen of a country traveling long distances for often temporary/seasonal work

Immigrant - Permanent/Citizenship seeking

I'm an expat when living/working in China because Chinese law pretty much will never allow me to become a permanent citizen, IE an immigrant, even if I wanted to.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
I've watched tons of House Hunters International, and the American or British family moving to another country 99% of the time refers to themselves as expats, or the show's narrator does. This is even the case when they're settling down in a new country for good.

I've honestly never noticed a white person calling themselves an immigrant. They may not call themselves an ex-pat, but I honestly can't remember them ever saying "As an immigrant, etc. etc."
Using House Hunters as proof of anything is like using the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills as key evidence of white privilege.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
Immigrants move to move up in the world. Expats go somewhere by choice.

It's basically an anglo exceptionalism/superiority thing. You're an expat because your home country is perfectly fine but you choose to be somewhere else. Immigrant is because your old country is shit and you don't want to go back.

BadHand

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, British Columbia
I've also lived in Canada, well in the east but travelled extensively in the West. To put it rather bluntly, I don't the term is as relevant when say a British person moves to another Anglo dominated country. The term, however, is extensively used in relation to Brits who say retire to clusters in Spain. Maybe colour isn't quite the correct conflation here, but rather ethnicity. I think you have a limited subset of experience, investment by being a british person living abroad to believe a certain narrative, and rely to strongly on the wirds of a single British Caribbean person. Read a book like George Orwell's Burmese Days to understand that certain characterisations of expats go back to imperial times. I am not saying that all expats form insular communities that refuse to learn local languages and recreate a little Britain away from home. But such exists.

I labelled my post as "my take" and referenced my own experiences in how the term was applied in these various immigrant communities. You challenged me by saying it was "simply untrue". I can only give you my experiences, I'm not a scholar or historian and I don't believe you are either. I manage a settlement an employment program in greater Vancouver - in my experience many immigrants don't call themselves "immigrants" once they have naturalized. They tend to see an immigrant as a non-citizen resident and use the terms immigrant and citizen as their legal applications only. They would instead refer to themselves as "citizens" or used it in past tense "I came as an immigrant", "I was an immigrant" etc.

It appears the only person using the word 'expatriate' as an exclusionary term is you. You don't believe the term is relevant when British citizens (presumably only the white ones) move to other Anglo speaking countries because that would not fit your theory. You appear to also be pretending that multicultural groups of American expats in Canada, or vice versa, don't exist. Australians in London, ... what about French citizens living in New Zealand who form expat groups etc. You seem want to pretend the term is only relevant or only "used extensively" when applied to white British retirees in foreign climes. You want to separate yourself from this term when you live abroad because you harbor prejudices about "expats" due to various stereotypes that you don't want to associate yourself with. You say you lived and traveled around the world (avoiding the term "expat") but think you're better than these "clusters" of British retirees who are in Spain simply by avoiding the use of terminology. Have you never formed connections with other British people on your travels around the world?

I do find it interesting that you try to diminish my "limited subset of experiences", telling me to "read a book" and say I'm relying on "the word of a single British Caribbean person" who introduced me to a group (ignoring the fact that that I also said its full of people of different ethnic backgrounds who associate with the "expat" group and terminology) - all while simultaneously referencing your own anecdotal experiences of "living" and "traveling extensively" while observing British retirees as an "expat" lower-class of person who are, according to you, mostly insular, rude, little-Englanders. You seem wrapped up in the idea that the term is some sort of an insult... Immigrants are good and Expats are bad, apparently all because of throwbacks to British colonialism. Seems all a bit hypocritical, don't you think? Most people understand that language evolves with its usage.

Furthermore, there are people working in international aid and business that may also be labled as expats, which is associated with a privilidged position amongst migrants. To be honest, accusation that I am prejudiced against expats has some basis. On the other hand, you seem to have a bias to believe the opposite, perhaps because you are white and also are an immigrant. For disclosure my mum was an immigrant to the UK.

Huh? I'm not sure what point you're trying to make about aid workers working in a foreign country, or what your mum being an immigrant has to do with any of it - perhaps you feel that shields you from certain criticisms? Noted that you used "was an immigrant" rather than "is an immigrant", did she return to her home country or ascend to a higher-class of being?

Last edited: