• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Or alternatively. Because one game being the current favorite, other games not like that one don't matter?

Before I begin this has nothing to with Demon's Souls / Dark Souls. Folks reading the title and ignoring the OP will probably immediately jump to this conclusion, but I'm encompassing all games in particularly. It's the issue of game B needing to be like game A to be "relevant" or whatever that supposed to mean, despite the fact game B has been consistent and still successful in it's style all this time and just pushing change for the sake of change at a detriment to an established formula.

PLEASE READ THE OP

With the most recent announcement of MK11, we go back to the issue of people wanting to do away with the block button and change the game to be closer to other fighting games. The problem with this is this disregards the existence of moves that have auto tracking properties, such as the teleports which are ambiguous in their nature that holding a specific direction for defense would negate their intended purpose since main point of these teleport attacks is they almost always cross up hitting the opposite direction the opponent is facing. Holding back to block would mean literally walking into these moves. In this specific example teleport attacks would need to be removed or significantly altered in how they function to accommodate such a change which would make the game no longer play like it's intended design.

Another example of Metroidvania platformers that have distinctly feel in their controls and mechanics. Hollow Knight does not play the same as Dead Cells, nor does Chasm or Iconoclasts either, but there is the blanket statement that makes the assumption that Metroidvania games have a "one size fits all" approach to level design, combat, and progression.

Like during the discussions when Bloodstained crops up which inspirations clearly are worn on it's sleeve in adopting the formula that Symphony of the Night has in terms of controls and feel for character movement, the biggest difference is the art direction. The backer demos play very closely to how SOTN does, and the initial pitch for the game was to provide another game that plays like it, and thus far mechanically and in terms of gameplay / control this is essentially what is happening, although the art direction certainly leaves something to be desired. Yet I've come across statements that follow along the lines that Hollow Knight existing implies there isn't a place for Bloodstained despite the fact that IGA's specific style of Metroidvania does not have the same progression process, stylistic direction or formula.

Just the same Chasm and Dead Cells both have procedurally generated maps but they couldn't possibly be similar especially with Dead Cell having more of a rogue-like approach, and Chasm being more of constant map design despite the initial map generation happening at the beginning of a new game and the map remaining a constant for the entire duration for that save file.

I suppose another example would be the case of long standing RPG series in the case for the Final Fantasy series. There is this ongoing sentiment that turned based mechanics are deemed "archaic" in place for more Action oriented systems yet the fact you have series like Ys and Dragon Slayer which are just as old and some cases older than turned based RPG genre established in the late 80's. This also flies in face of folks saying a major AAA developed game would not be successful if it had turned based mechanics yet falls contrary to this statement with the cases of games like Dragon Quest XI and Persona 5.

Now mind you I am not against games trying new ideas, incorporating new mechanics. and making gradual improvements, but complete shifts into a different genre, mass overhauls of consistent and proven formula being changed up in extremes that fly in the face of consistency seems to be the issue in this case and I don't understand why some want these sorts of things?

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For gamerz? (rise up)

The answer is that most people don't really critically think about design.

For publishers and developers?

Suits want to chase the trend, and the developers likely already sink many hours into that trend on personal time.

OP
OP
OmegaDL50

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
For gamerz? (rise up)

The answer is that most people don't really critically think about design.

For publishers and developers?

Suits want to chase the trend, and the developers likely already sink many hours into that trend on personal time.

I see a fair enough point of Publishers wanting to follow market trends where the money leads. It's a business naturally. Looking for more customers is going to be goal, with the hopes of retaining the existing customer base.

Oct 27, 2017
You say that but it IS the best example of what you are talking about "I wish X just had Dark Soulssss combat"
And yeah, I totally agree with all your examples as well.
Its kinda funny seeing people want these same mechanics in every game while simultaneously saying that "all AAA games are the same these days" and they "should strive to be unique "

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
In the indie space, I see a lot of games attempting to fuse designs from two different games - often it fails because design isn't happening in a more organic manner. Sometimes magic happens, but a lot of the times you end up with two systems competing with one another. And agreed, in these situations game developers aren't thinking critically about how to make all these design elements work cohesively.

OP
OP
OmegaDL50

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Its kinda funny seeing people want these same mechanics in every game while simultaneously saying that "all AAA games are the same these days" and they "should strive to be unique "

It's a catch-22 in this case. A game staying too much the same and folks say it hasn't improved, or the game changing too much, and you get statements along the line "insert game" is a good game but isn't a good "insert series" game.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If a game can be improved in some aspect by copying a mechanic or design from some other game, it's a valid comparison to make.

It's why the new God of War still doesn't do anything for me, mechanically speaking. So much of its combat has been done better by other action games, even at its most basic level, and having to handwave a lot of that criticism just by saying "it's not trying to be like those other games" is somewhat ignorant to the fact that it's not like these designers were the only ones faced with the problems that crop up.

Chocobo Blade

The Wise Ones
Oct 29, 2017
The answer is probably simply that people even on gaming boards generally have little idea about game design but still want to sound like experts. So when they see a game they like do something well, they just assume that element is good on itself without giving much thought to what makes it work in context of the particular game.

Skeleton

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
this problem comes from when a lot of the people making the suggestion just to do X are a proper armchair dev, one who thinks they know something when they're graciously misinformed and almost dangerously under qualified to be making the suggestions they do, just because you play games and post on a video game forum, doesn't make you even the slightest bit qualified to start chatting bollocks about implementing design from one game to another saying

"IT'D WORK"

These people are often most likely to call dev's lazy.

JoDa

Jan 12, 2018
Your mortal kombat example is pretty bad, I mean you're saying that getting rid of the block button will mean characters would have more mixups... So? Like seriously there's a ton of teleporting moves in plenty of fighters that can cross you up, the whole point of this moves is that it's ambiguous which direction you have to hold to properly block, it's a mix up, a way to open up your opponent's defense, granted there's probably still a reason to keep the block button and it might even have to do with this moves (maybe they are way too safe on block idk I don't play mk) but your reasoning is not it

Deleted member 18324

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Your mortal kombat example is pretty bad, I mean you're saying that getting rid of the block button will mean characters would have more mixups... So? Like seriously there's a ton of teleporting moves in plenty of fighters that can cross you up, the whole point of this moves is that it's ambiguous which direction you have to hold to properly block, it's a mix up, a way to open up your opponent's defense, granted there's probably still a reason to keep the block button and it might even have to do with this moves (maybe they are way too safe on block idk I don't play mk) but your reasoning is not it

This is literally a case in point example of what the OP is talking about, someone who openly doesn't play the game prognosticating on the viability of the games teleport/cross-up moves (which are numerous and generally far faster than their equivalents in games without dedicated block buttons).

The most obvious advantage of a dedicated block button, which requires only seconds of applied thought, is that you are completely freed to move backwards without the game stopping your movement to put you into a block state.

Mortal Kombat's block button is a perfectly fine example of people offering sweeping changes without applying even some critical thought to the pros and cons.

OP
OP
OmegaDL50

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA

Definitely not in the way MK handles them. Especially when they have homing / auto tracking properties and have near instant start up time. You said you don't play MK, you should actually try and see how these specific moves work, especially in UMK3 and by extension MK9.

Another example pre-patched Injustice with Scorpion with his teleports having the same behavior in MK but within the confines of a game that uses directional defense. It was completely and totally broken until the patch fix.

AxeVince

Oct 26, 2017
Because most people who claim the know games only know games that they play, not how they are made.
For them, if it has been done somewhere, it's easy to replicate, even if that mechanic took months and months to make and iterate on.
It's exactly the same as people saying "I can do the same if I try" to amateur artist whose work they don't like.

tl;dr: armchair devs don't know anything on how to make a game.