• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I have played close to 75% of all Pro enhanced games that are on the market on my Pro.

When playing non-Pro games in boost mode, my fans don't make a noise.

Some Pro enhanced games get a little bit of fan noise here and there.

However, id engine games (Dishonored 2, Prey, Wolfenstein 2) make my console so loud it's almost comical.

Wolfenstein 2 is the absolute worst. It literally sounds like a vacuum cleaner. It is unbelievably loud.

Let's compare Battlefront 2 and Wolfenstein 2. My initial theory was that 60 fps games make the console louder. BF2 runs at 60 fps and looks quite a bit better than Wolf 2, but BF2 only gets a little bit of fan noise going.

Then let's take the most graphically impressive game on the system, Assasin' s Creed Origins. The fans rarely even ramp up while playing it.

Dishonored 2 and Prey also both make the fans go crazy. Louder than any other game except Wolf 2. All of which run on id tech.

Why in the hell do id engine games cause the fans to sound like a jet engine?

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Same reason my new Lenovo Yogas i5 that's 1.8 ghz but can boost to 4 ghz fans ramp up around 3 ghz.

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If that's the case, why do Assassins Creed Origins and Battlefront 2, both of which are graphically more complex than Wolf 2, barely make any fan noise?
Because you don't know what you are talking about.

Not a slam on you or anything, but just a statement and reinforcement of the fact that none of us really know what's going on behind the scenes with thermal load and what's bottlenecking performance. What's immediately visible on screen doesn't really matter at all to this.

Id tech might be the best optimized engine for the platform in terms of min maxing gpu and cpu load to get the most out of perf. As we don't have metrics, no one knows.

lightchris

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
They most likely have less idling/pipeline stalls on either the GPU or CPU side, or both. Could potentially be seen as a sign of good optimization, on the other hand I understand if you find the resulting fan noise annoying.

My Pro got really loud during some sections of Nier, mainly when there was a lot of water visible (even when the performance was still good). I assume the water shader got the GPU utilization higher than most other parts that were usually rendered.

OP
OP
flyinj

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Because you don't know what you are talking about.

Not a slam on you or anything, but just a statement and reinforcement of the fact that none of us really know what's going on behind the scenes with thermal load and what's bottlenecking performance. What's immediately visible on screen doesn't really matter at all to this.

Id tech might be the best optimized engine for the platform in terms of min maxing gpu and cpu load to get the most out of perf. As we don't have metrics, no one knows.

That's exactly my point and what I am trying to understand.

You have Battlefront 2 which looks fantastic and holds a steady 60 fps with minimal fan noise.

Then you have Wolf 2 which doesn't look as impressive but makes the fans so loud that it actually makes the game hard to hear.

What is going on with id tech?

BuBu Jenkins

Oct 27, 2017
Uncharted 4/Lost Legacy and Horizon do the same on my pro. certain demanding games push the gpu harder causing the fans to go into overdrive. simple as that

Butch

Oct 27, 2017

You have Battlefront 2 which looks fantastic and holds a steady 60 fps with minimal fan noise.

Then you have Wolf 2 which doesn't look as impressive but makes the fans so loud that it actually makes the game hard to hear.

Well this is an interesting answer:

They most likely have less idling/pipeline stalls on either the GPU or CPU side, or both. Could potentially be seen as a sign of good optimization, on the other hand I understand if you find the resulting fan noise annoying.

My Pro got really loud during some sections of Nier, mainly when there was a lot of water visible (even when the performance was still good). I assume the water shader got the GPU utilization higher than most other parts that were usually rendered.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain

Wolf 2 has lots of AI and pathfinding, in a much more complex simulation than the film sets that are the environments of Battlefront 2. Both Prey and Dishonored 2 feature this very aspect.
I'd also say that idTech games have insane asset variety, which incurs the price of... Constantly decompressing virtual textures.
Does DOOM make similar noise on your Pro?

Edit: I wouldn't say the graphics of Battlefront are better than those of Wolf. They're about the same, imo.

Deleted member 1067

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

If bf is getting a cpu bottleneck (which it is) then the gpu isn't going to be able to get the most out of an individual scene to heat up enough to cause the fans to roar. Id tech, again, might be the most optimized engine on the platform and as a result is pulling enough on both ends of the pipeline to cause heavy utilization and thus high thermal results. Again, what you see on screen doesn't matter. Especially what you personally think looks "better" matters even less, honestly. The only thing that matters is stress on the hardware.

OP
OP
flyinj

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Wolf 2 has lots of AI and pathfinding, in a much more complex simulation than the film sets that are the environments of Battlefront 2. Both Prey and Dishonored 2 feature this very aspect.
I'd also say that idTech games have insane asset variety, which incurs the price of... Constantly decompressing virtual textures.
Does DOOM make similar noise on your Pro?

No Doom is totally silent on my Pro. But, it isn't Pro enhanced, just running in boost mode.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017

Don't you see the "issue" here? It's very steady, which means it operates well above 60 most of the time... or rather it would, because fps is capped at 60. So it could do more, but doesn't have to.
Games like Dishonored or Wolfenstein on the other other frequently dip below their target framerate, suggesting the hardware is actually brought to its knees and therefore produces more heat.

The only odd one out here is Prey. A super non-demanding game.. idk why that would make the Pro ramp up like that.

OP
OP
flyinj

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I'm also wondering if it could be some simple thing that the developers are overlooking that is causing the fans to go absolutely crazy. Like maybe the game is outputting 120 fps and pushing the GPU to it's absolute limits. The developer could limit the fps to 60 and get rid of the jet engine noise.

Like for instance, why does the blacksmith in Nioh make the fans so loud when there is really nothing going on graphically?

Deleted member 1067

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm also wondering if it could be some simple thing that the developers are overlooking that is causing the fans to go absolutely crazy. Like maybe the game is outputting 120 fps and pushing the GPU to it's absolute limits. The developer could limit the fps to 60 and get rid of the jet engine noise.

Like for instance, why does the blacksmith in Nioh make the fans so loud when there is really nothing going on graphically?
Same reason it does in yakuza during the hostess interviews.

/Stupid/ amounts of polygons dedicated female characters for fanservice.