• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Reversed

Oct 25, 2017
Can't be helped in phantasy star 2 as the protagonist wakes up from a bad dream at the start of the game.

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
I think they just show people doing more mundane stuff, like eating or going to school, so it makes sense that you see characters in bed more often.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
Man that looks smooth. Are there any gifs for the other races?
Other races aren't as good.

tRV0ZZl.gif

vhUqWP9.jpg

Dnomla

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I mean, it would be weird to never show video game characters in a bed, but I imagine they just can't justify using more time and resources to model a moving blanket and create a new model for sleepwear/sleeping for such a short scene. So they just meet somewhere in the middle a lot of the time.

the real question is

how many 3D video games show their characters under the covers?

it a fucking rarity

i think QuanticDream does it

I too have a somewhat related question.

How many japanese games are there showing people in bed AND under the covers? The only time I can think of is that Ramsus and Miang post sex scene in Xenogears. But, there was a reason for them to be under covers.

Xenogears is a good one and very detailed too. But plenty of games do it for cutscenes and stuff. I can't think of any games where the main playable character can get in and out of a bed with covers though, except Deadly Premonition.

dZ4LKzx.gif

HfabBoD.gif

xzEMOsX.png

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 even did it in the Torna DLC.

2gm0rrG.png

Last edited:

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry you all had to innocently click into this thread and then be forced to learn about an incest anime, lol.

Anyway, as for recent games that actually get this right:
maxresdefault.jpg

Maybe everyone's convinced Joker is a criminal because the pictures in the OP represent the normal way to sleep in video game world, and he sleeps like we do.

Karppuuna

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People have to understand that this world if full of different cultures

I don't think that many western understand japanese culture, but do we have to?

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
It gets worse. She later hits him, gives him the cold shoulder and treats him like a pervert. Like a classic tsundere. It is disappointing Falcom has gone full anime. People love to shit Xenoblade 2 for that (which they are right), but Cold Steel is almost the same in that regard.
I stopped playing and sold my copy because of this. I have lost all patience with the tsundere trope.

Nov 9, 2017
Réunion
I know I arrive after the war, but I have to say it: a marriage between cousins is legal in Japan, and it's even legal where I live, in France. Now, we can go back to the most important question: why all these beds??? (And especially when the characters are fully clothed.)

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
cs61vzpas7b01.jpg

It gets worse. She later hits him, gives him the cold shoulder and treats him like a pervert. Like a classic tsundere. It is disappointing Falcom has gone full anime. People love to shit Xenoblade 2 for that (which they are right), but Cold Steel is almost the same in that regard.
Thanks for the warning. Once upon a time I would've played those or at least tried to. Not anymore.

DQXI has shown me how a JRPG with anime influence can be done right without the more egregious tropes like the ones discussed here from Cold Steel. I also have no patience for crap like those Tsundere shenanigans.

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017
Yet another way in which Itoi enjoys subverting JRPG stereotypes. Earthbound and Mother 3 both begin with a bed scene...but you have to change out of your pajamas before leaving the house. I think the sleeping sprites are unique as well.

Daouzin

Oct 28, 2017
Arizona
i always go to bed in full clothing w/ shoes. thought this was normal.

I actually did this for years, until I was like 20-21. Maybe I played too many JRPGs, I still do this from time to time. I just don't think removing clothes makes me THAT much more comfortable, but I do have the tendency of sleeping 5-6 hours a night for days straight then sleeping for 12 hours straight on the 4th or 5th day. So...... I have problems.

Just don't think sleeping with all your clothes on, including shoes, is that weird, I probably do it like once a week.

but the important question is whether or not Brother feels the same way
6068.jpg

Hakunon

Oct 11, 2018
I love the Legend of Heroes. I hate Cold Steel. The creepy shit starts earlier in the series if you're really paying attention though but the bed shit in Cold Steel 1 really soured my first playthrough lol

giphy.gif

This is even worse than I imagined (currently playing through the Trails in Sky trilogy and hearing some things about the future installments), I thought they'd keep this stuff restricted to Tokyo Xanadu which had a childhood friend miraculously appearing next to the MC's bed.

Ratrat

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Meanwhile, Americans wear their shoes in the house and in the bedroom.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
My question is what's up with Pokemon Sun and Moon having beds that you can lay on -but not sleep in- and just sniff?

CxjghvQUsAAVnnF.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
This is even worse than I imagined (currently playing through the Trails in Sky trilogy and hearing some things about the future installments), I thought they'd keep this stuff restricted to Tokyo Xanadu which had a childhood friend miraculously appearing next to the MC's bed.

same, I'm currently in 3rd and the series has been incredible and with little to no tropes or fanservice, and I know CS is full of anime tropes but lmao that gif.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Can't be helped in phantasy star 2 as the protagonist wakes up from a bad dream at the start of the game.

It was a convenient enough way to show his connection to the protagonist of the previous game considering how far apart the two titles are. And to show off his16-bit bod.

latest

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
pdAI9UT.jpg

Jack has pyjamas at least.
It gets better and better until the fifth (Ao). But yeah Sen/Cold Steel was a cold shower.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
People sleep. Who knew?

Western games have it too. Shit, half the fun of playing a Thief or Assassin in Elder Scrolls is waiting for people to crawl into bed so you can put an arrow in their sleeping face with a sneak damage modifier. Also uh, pickpocket success goes up.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I like how the character "walks" under the covers in Pokemon, and how they jump on the bed in Monster Hunter.

But yeah it's usually weird, it's oke of those things we've come to accept without thinking about it, because it's probably not worth bothering to devs for devs given the complexity of additional animations and creating whole new outfits for the characters.

MrCinos

Oct 26, 2017
It gets better and better until the fifth (Ao). But yeah Sen/Cold Steel was a cold shower.
If I had to pick one single worst scene it'd probably be in Ao though. The one that introduces certain someone's little sister who admitteldy ends to be a decent to good character overall, but same could be said for CS characters too IMO. Easily the worst introducing scene in the series when it comes to egregious mood-breaking fanservice.