• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aang's_Bae

Apr 23, 2018
I mean America was discovered by Europeans on an expedition by Spain. They've been on this continent almost as long as we have. A massive population live literally to the South of US. Spanish is the second most spoken language in America. Yet, despite all these advantages, there has been less cultural solidarity amongst second and on generation Latinos than black folk. Discuss why this is?

passepied joe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some latinos who migrated here hate "chicanos" and vice-versa. Not all latinos are from the same country/have parents from the same country. Colorism is another thing.

Cabbagehead

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some latinos who migrated here hate "chicanos" and vice-versa. Not all latinos are from the same country/have parents from the same country. Colorism is another thing.
Yeah just like their's a colorism thing in black communities, the latino community got it way worse. In more ways then one, in some ways through no fault of their own.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
To put it bluntly, I feel like there's two reasons for this scenario:

1.) Latinos are an extremely diverse group, and there's often, from my own experiences, a lot of in-fighting between the different nationalities. Then there's the colorism / racism that is prevalent in a lot of Latin cultures. It makes it hard for them all to come together at times.

2.) There are a lot of powerful Latin individuals who I think see their culture and heritage as secondary to who they are, and often don't try to ensure that they hire mainly Latino actors and actresses in their works, barring work that is inherently about Latin countries and history.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Because contrary to popular belief, not everyone that comes from the south of the USA consider themselves to be under one flag. Lots of peoples see themselves more as people from x country than just the guys who came from the south of USA

Sadsic

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I've always wondered why hispanic culture isnt a larger piece of American culture in general

like black culture seems to be a giant piece of overall American culture, especially in music

is it the language barrier?

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
America was not discovered by Spain. Many hispanics have a mix of European and native blood and we have been here way longer than anyone else.

Also, what the hell are you saying, the Latino unions are like one of the defining labor structures in American history,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cesar_Chavez

OP
OP
Aang's_Bae

Aang's_Bae

Apr 23, 2018
I understand this. I do. Yet, I can't help but wondering why this hasn't led to advocacy groups based on nationality. Why don't Mexicans ban together to fight for mexican rights or whatever?

Porygon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mexicali
I'm just going to do an example...

I live in the border, most of the people in the town in the USA are Mexican or have Mexican heritage.... Then, I was passing by a kind of popular hot dog stand in that town, where a short, brown woman that works there and speaks perfect Spanish was badmouthing Mexicans, and believe me, she looked more Mexican than me and I'm pretty sure the only american thing about her is a paper that says that she is a citizen....

So basically there is some elitism between our race.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I understand this. I do. Yet, I can't help but wondering why this hasn't led to advocacy groups based on nationality. Why don't Mexicans ban together to fight for mexican rights or whatever?

A) they do. B) What does being mexican or colombian or whatever matter? We all have our own racial and tribal groups in our own country.

You know, some American actually get this instead of being racist and trying to group all the "brown ones" together into a single monolithic group.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
X-Minority versus Y-Minority threads are almost always going to result in a thread lock. There's a way to have a conversation about Latinx representation that does not present black representation as a foil.

Status
Not open for further replies.