• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
This has kinda struck me as weird for a while.

I mean I guess it makes sense, but it's just another word for "games." And it doesn't seem like something that could be used to ONLY refer to games, yet I never see films or books referred to as titles.

Yet in press releases or the like, you see "we have plenty of new titles coming this year," or "we are planning a new title in this popular franchise." I guess I'm just wondering where did it come from and why is it used specifically in this industry? Or am I missing stuff and it's used plenty in other industries?

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Isn't game a little to general? When you say 'title', you refer to a specific game without having to name that specific game by its title constantly.

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't game a little to general? When you say 'title', you refer to a specific game without having to name that specific game by its title constantly.
How is "we have plenty of games planned for this year" any different from "we have plenty of titles planned for this year" though

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Probably just sounds more official and business-like. Sort of like saying films instead of movies.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Meh, it's just a synonym. Whenever I'm typing a comment and see that I've already used 'game' in the preceding sentence, I'll use 'title' in the following one because I hate repeating words.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just a force of habit to sound more corporaty (isthataword?).

Similarly how we say IPs which also struck me as odd.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
to distance themselves from the association with games and children because they know consumers are insecure

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
I don't know about publishers, but writers and journalists do it to avoid making text sound too repetitive, which is what you'd get if you just used "the game" over and over.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
It's a Japan-ism that stuck.

The widespread adoption of "IP" by laypeople is way more on the nose.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
It's just a synonym. Much prefer to use "title" over "IP" that's for sure. I certainly use it to avoid saying game too repetitively.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
Could be a prestige thing. Back in the day games we're looked down upon, so calling them something else would've made their games seem something "better" than just children's toys.

Nov 4, 2017
I don't think IP is as bad if used correctly. Like I'd refer to a multi-platform thing like Pokemon or Marvel as an IP, since they span so many fields and products.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
It is kinda dumb, but I also kinda like it? Sounds more fancy.

tenor.gif

ChrisP8Three

Oct 26, 2017
Leeds
its because they don't own the content of the game, only its naming rights

/s

reality, it sounds more professional than 'games' which is associated with childish things still by the majority of asshats society

Veeboy

Oct 31, 2017
This has kinda struck me as weird for a while.

I mean I guess it makes sense, but it's just another word for "games." And it doesn't seem like something that could be used to ONLY refer to games, yet I never see films or books referred to as titles.

Yet in press releases or the like, you see "we have plenty of new titles coming this year," or "we are planning a new title in this popular franchise." I guess I'm just wondering where did it come from and why is it used specifically in this industry? Or am I missing stuff and it's used plenty in other industries?
Not sure if its super relevant to the gaming, but I am a librarian and we use the word title for books (and occasionally films) all the time. More specifically we usually use it as an abstraction between the actual physical item (the book) and the work itself (the content of the book). For example, we have multiple copies of the title Redefining Realness by Janet Mock. Each individual copy would be referred to as a book, but when speaking of the title we are referring to the content which could be contained in any given individual copy of the book whether it be an audiobook, ebook, hardback, paperback, etc.

IDK if that might have any relevance to the discussion but I thought I'd add it on.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if its super relevant to the gaming, but I am a librarian and we use the word title for books (and occasionally films) all the time. More specifically we usually use it as an abstraction between the actual physical item (the book) and the work itself (the content of the book). For example, we have multiple copies of the title Redefining Realness by Janet Mock. Each individual copy would be referred to as a book, but when speaking of the title we are referring to the content which could be contained in any given individual copy of the book whether it be an audiobook, ebook, hardback, paperback, etc.

IDK if that might have any relevance to the discussion but I thought I'd add it on.

I'm guessing this has at least something to do with it.

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
"Title" has a slight connotation of a "publication" in a business sense that distinguishes it from "game" which can have multiple meanings to multiple parties.
It's similar to "platform" being a synonym for "game console".

In other words, a game is released on a video game console, whereas a gaming title is published on a gaming platform.
Futhermore, a developer develops a game, whereas a publisher markets the title.

And finally, a single title may include multiple games. For example, New Super Mario Bros. U + New Super Luigi U (Switch) is a single "title" (or SKU) but contains two games. This distinction is very helpful for industry professionals.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
to distance themselves from the association with games and children because they know consumers are insecure
Could be a prestige thing. Back in the day games we're looked down upon, so calling them something else would've made their games seem something "better" than just children's toys.
Sounds more respectable. That's why books get referred to as novels, movies as films, and albums as records.
Never thought about it, but yeah. It's the same way for comics now being called graphic novels because the former sounds childish to many people. Society is a bit too insecure, specially with products aimed at men.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Never thought about it, but yeah. It's the same way for comics now being called graphic novels because the former sounds childish to many people. Society is a bit too insecure, specially with products aimed at men.

Yeah, this isn't it at all. The practice predates video games.