• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Heisenburger

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User Warned: Creating a thread to incite console wars
First off this is not a MS or xbox bashing thread, nor is it about the competition or console wars.

This is purely about the MS xbox gaming division attitude, and imo nonsense when it has come to xbox since that awful 2013 e3 announcement.

I think we are all clued up on the awful launch so no need to tread over that. Just to clarify, the timeline of some of these events might not be completely accurate as I am writing from memory, however, if you followed what was going on they will ring a bell.

• We had the power of the cloud nonsense that got pushed and people actually believed this rubbish, was even parroted by people on the old forum.
  • However, that also brought some of those clueless xbox execs spouting off rubbish such as "no way are we giving up 30% power to our competitor" even though the other hardware was more powerful. Some software magic and cloud going to make up the difference?
  • "we are making xboxes as fast as they are flying off the shelves" lol or whatever nonsense the said at the time near launch or xmas.
  • All of a sudden to not report hardware and software sales because they weren't number one any more... Instead switch to ridiculous and shitty stats. 500 million hours have been played so far on xbox or whatever.
  • DX12 secret sauce

• hilarious levels of microtransactions in their first part games. Can't speak for halo 5 but the GoW 4 ones were horrendous and so was the xbox one launch forza game. " its for people who don't have the time to play" but they made grinding for the cars a slog on purpose so people would use real money...

• Let's spend 2 billion on minecraft. Even though at that point already people owned the game on many platforms. Of course any new sales would go to MS, but let's buy minecraft anyway, another game we can add to our 'first party'
  • As time went on people started to realise a lack of exclusives. Two years into the console life we hear from phil that they are listening and first party is a priority. Proceeds to then shut down how many games and studios? At the same time we are shown videos of games that are 4 to 5 years out like crackdown.

• phil then promises more first party then promises to stop buying exclusivity from 3rd parties. Next e3 "console launch exclusive; console debut" etc etc you know what conference I am talking about.

• after the phil spencer promise of the 3rd party bullshit, it didn't take long for them to start doing it again. PUBG for example, I am sure there are others. Talk all you want about how it wouldn't have got made for console if it weren't for MS. There were people hoping, begging MS buy out bluepoint... Like why? So others can't play it on console, so MS can finally have another big exclusive that they didn't make themselves? Again with minecraft at this point 20 million copies had already been sold, would MS even make any profit on the purchase of said company?

• There constant stupid language they use in their marketing to trick people to thinking they are doing great and that games are exclusive to their console, when they are not. We have seen it from MS spokes people, twitter and at their conferences.

• Xbox response to sony VR. Either to say it's shit or desperately throw something out there like that lens thing with minecraft... like wow, or that oclus support thing that we are still waiting on.

• phil spencers constant promising the world and failing to deliver, almost like a yes man.

• The cult of personality he has crafted where he can do no wrong (in reality do nothing) and how hes doing great work.

• games and studios have been cancelled under phil and lack of first party games have appeared. Yeah he has delivered on services, but at the end of the day its a box that plays games. The games matter the most.

• "shit we still aren't producing any first party games" phil proceeds to then announce that xbox is shifting to GaaS (yeah because gamers love those) and says people don't really buy single player games any more. He's basically admitting they can't or won't make single player games so getting his excuses out already.

• Switching to GasS has worked out well for xbox. They can now launch games devoid of content and not complete and say, well its the GasS model, see sea of thieves.

If I have missed anything please let me know.
I am just baffled people keep believing or hoping something different will happen when in 5 years, it hasn't

TheBaldEmperor

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's largely PR speak. That's what you get. I own a X1 and I play what's available and largely ignore what they say.

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017
This is absolutely an xbox bashing thread.

Listing sins in chronological order without listing efforts to avoid those sins (look at how much free money we get in Forza Motorsport 7--there are no real money transactions in the game at all, and it's about to be replaced by FH4).

Dec 11, 2017
You need to move past the fact that everything said at the E3 before the Xbox One launched was bad ideas, damage control, and bullshit. Also, don't forget Don Mattrick had a big hand in a lot of it.

Nov 24, 2017
As far as the cloud goes, yeah that was all total bullshit.

Some of the other stuff you mentioned however I truly believe Phil had good intentions but you have to remember he isn't top of the totem pole and the powers above him are making the final decisions, not him. Microsoft is in a very weird place with the Xbox One right now and Phil really does care about the fans, but somethings are really just out of his hands.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
lol, this is an absolutely MS bashing thread. your language your examples show that much.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
If you need to start a thread with "First off this is not a MS or xbox bashing thread" it probably is. ;)

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
What the hell is this... I don't have the energy to respond to someone like you in detail but I am sure someone could list the many good things Phil has done as a leader since he took over.

I do not see what this thread is going to accomplish.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I think he's doing his job, which is to paint his company in the best possible light. Sometimes that's via vague "good guy" comments on twitter, but I don't believe there's any actual meat behind every single one of them, and I think he's frankly smart to do it. That's part of the modern PR game.

Bgamer90

Oct 27, 2017
So many things in this that can be described as typical marketing/PR 101, not seeing the big picture (e.g.: what you said about the billion dollar Minecraft deal), projects taking years to make, confirmation bias that only uses one example and ignores others, etc. that I don't even know where to begin or how to even reply in a way that will cover everything you've stated.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Removed Kinect, Xbox 360 backwards compatibility, Xbox Original Backwards Compatibility, renewed gaming focus, addressed hardware issues with Xbox One S and X, renewed PC gaming focus, implementing cross-play, ect.

All of these are examples of things Phil Spencer stated he wanted to see and doo for the Xbox brand and consumers and they have happened.

Deleted member 1185

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As others have said, PR is not exclusive to Xbox, every company is going to promise to deliver what their customers want.

The extent to which Phil and Xbox have delivered is of course subjective and open for debate, but acting like they're some corporate equivalent of a shady used car salesman is a bit silly

R dott B

Oct 27, 2017
First mistake is believing anything that any console manufacturer says...

PR smoke for business not for customers.

Ahasverus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colombia
I can't believe people believed tje thing about the power of the cloud. It is and will always be bullshit. You can't make asynchronous streaming for tens of million different people unless quantum internet is suddenly discoveredt.

Status
Not open for further replies.