• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
6-511-36452646.png

This being a thing is why

I've always been curious what the arbitrary cutoff is in metric since 6ft doesn't convert to a nice even round number.

According to posters in this thread, in metric 180cm seems to be the cutoff.

So these sort of pictures are 6ft (183cm) VS 5'11" (180cm).

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah women are weird. Men only care about weight, breast size, ass shape, waist ratio, face, hair, foot size, nose size, eye color, eye size, lip shape, skin tone, in-shape but not too muscular, shape of vagina, length of labia, nipple size, and amount of body hair - but at least any height is fine!
You say it like women don't care about those sorts of things as well.

And before you go into full hyperbole blast, I'm not saying women are more shallow than men are. I'm just saying this particular thing is stupid. It makes no real difference in appearance(except dwarfism), but that's not what we're talking about.
The whole thing just doesn't compute in my head considering I feel the exact same about tall and short women. It makes no difference.

Last edited:

Kaizer

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a 5'9 dude myself, who's currently just focused on getting in better shape, health, etc. & not looking to date at the moment but I work in retail and have frequently noticed in the past couple of months the number of girls that have started checking me out. I sometimes wonder if these same girls would even glance my direction if I were on Tinder or any other number of dating apps - the thought of pursuing dating feels me with dread but it's at least comforting to know I must be considered somewhat attractive/handsome & my height doesn't seem to be that much of an issue. For what it's worth most of my friends have hovered around the 5'6 to 5'11 height range & have never had problems getting girls.

Nov 17, 2017
Most of the people putting "6'0 or above" in their profile probably can't tell the difference, at least immediately, between 5'10 and 6'0. So it makes sense that someone who is 5'10 or 5'11 would just say they are 6'0.

If you are 5'9 or below you probably aren't getting away with that, but the problem is the arbitrary and discriminatory standard which encourages the deception. Same goes for bigger women 'using filters and angles' or whatever misogynists complain about. They are doing that because otherwise they get instant rejection, ridicule, or hatred for something superficial.
Though I don't think you're doing yourself any favors, whether you're lying about how tall you are or using filters and angles to change how you look. I don't think that's strictly a misogynistic thing, people generally don't like being deceived. Like yeah, if you say you're 6 feet tall when you're actually 5'11", it's not really a big deal but if you are presenting yourself in a way that is very different to how you look in person, I can't say it's justified just because people may reject you for how you truly look. Though concerning the OP, it does answer the simple question of "why?"

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Tbh, I think there's actually a positive correlation between height and financial success; not because of an intrinsic value to height but because taller people tend to be treated better and promoted more. It's what makes the politics of attractiveness complicated; it turns out the consequences extend beyond dating.

I remember reading about that, and it apparently also factors in quite a bit in the professional world. Less opportunities to climb up professionally and get promoted, less opportunities to get raises as well. It is similar to people who are fat, for example. Except fat people also get discriminated medically to the point of mortality, but that's another topic.

But yeah, fitting the beauty standards of the time you live in, is one heck of a privilege, that's for sure.

As far as linear correlations go - unit increases in earnings for unit increases in height - at least this data is not very impressive. We're really talking about the 64 inch and under group being discriminated against, as it pretty much saturates at 6 feet and doesn't move beyond that.

That being said, even if this data is confounded by other factors, I can't imagine it's to the extent that it doesn't reflect systemic employment bias against that group.

a2f95deb0.jpg

Source: https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2015/05/the-financial-perks-of-being-tall/393518/

There was a great This American Life episode recently on this, specifically the third (or fourth) segment about a very short reporter reporting on parents treating their healthy short kids with growth hormone. Recommend.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Yeah women are weird. Men only care about weight, breast size, ass shape, waist ratio, face, hair, foot size, nose size, eye color, eye size, lip shape, skin tone, in-shape but not too muscular, shape of vagina, length of labia, nipple size, and amount of body hair - but at least any height is fine!

q303BsI.gif

Although women still get judged for their height, on top of it all. Tall women often develop insecurities over being tall, thinking that it'd make them unattractive towards most men, thus unlovable and undateable. It's a big reason why you often see tall women having bad posture (syndrome named "tall girl slouch", several of my tall women friends did). So... yeah it still goes this way too.

Last edited:

Zorg1000

Banned
Jul 22, 2019
I see this all the time in MMA, two guys will be listed as the same height but during face offs there is like a 3 inch difference.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
WMbqwjN.gif

5'11". Been told for many years I was so close to being considered a man, had I only made it past said height. Even years later I still feel small compared to other guys around me and whenever I look in a mirror.

machine

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't realize fudging your height was that common. I always round down. I think I'm about 6' 3/4" but I always just say I'm 6'

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's mostly a social pressure thing, and a thing about perceived strength. Dating profiles that specify height cutoffs don't help, though I hope it's not as big a deal when meeting people in person.

I was pretty short as a kid and did feel a bit inferior growing up. Not necessarily because of the dating thing, but rather I just felt kind of inadequate when compared to other people in general. Weaker, less successful, and so on. The weird thing is that even though books say that you stop growing at around 21, I continued to grow for a few years after that and now I'm fairly close to average height. So now I don't feel odd about my height, but I do remember it bothering me when I was growing up.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
People don't as such. Guys do. Because taller men are preferred by women. I never lied about my height when I was dating, but I never had a lot of matches, and I assume I was getting filtered out to begin with. I'm good looking and witty, no reason to just swipe left when you see my photos. So men lie. It's the same as overweight women only posting facial photos from certain angles. Women don't like short men. Men don't like fat women. It is what it is. We are "woke" and all that, but we will always be very superficial, until we evolve to a different state of existence where physical form doesn't matter as much, or can be changed at will.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
Why is it that when a guy lies about being 6', one of the "6' guardians" appear out of literally nowhere to challenge him?

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Truth be told, height unfortunately does affect daily interactions. I'm 6'3 (guy), and I've often noticed that people take me a lot more seriously than they do (male) friends who are shorter. They don't dismiss me as quickly, even when I'm being an absolute idiot.

India is also a society drenched in toxic masculinity, and though I'm a pacifist by nature, my intimidating appearance means that a lot of testosterone-charged men who're ready to pick fights at the drop of a hat seem very reluctant to do so when I get involved in the conversation.

I hate that this is so, because height isn't a marker of ANYTHING. It doesn't make me smarter than others, or a better person. We, as a society, need to move away from our obsession with appearance, and break this correlation of attractiveness with success. (I say this in general terms. Though I'm tall, you wouldn't call me attractive).

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Same reason 95% of men lie about their penis size. Social pressure to live up to imagined idealization, and a consequent domino effect of self-conscious misinformation.

It all make me facepalm as a gay guy.

Nov 17, 2017
Both men and women can be shallow about a number of things. That's no surprise.

I think what's weird about the whole height thing is that it's such a specific and arbitrary cut-off. Like "taller than me" would make sense but so many women I see on dating apps are specifically say 6 feet or bust. They can be 5'1" and still say 6'0" or taller only. Like at that height, would it really matter if the guy was a few inches short of 6 feet when he's gonna tower over you anyway?

I think it's also the difference in that on those apps, you will see lots of women putting out that height requirement up front and it's a generally accepted thing but if a man said any one of the things you listed as a requirement, I think we'd agree that'd be weird if not just plain offensive.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
I'll never understand folks being insecure about it. That said, there are a lot of people with weird height requirements for dates, and I'm sure that feeds into it.

I'm genuinely not sure how tall I am, either 5'10" or 5'11". I've heard both at the doctor's office. I guess my posture kinda sucks.

Deleted member 2761

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm on the shorter side (5 ft 5 in), but I've never seen occasion to lie about my height, mostly because I feel that it's easily seen through. I've been given shit about how tall I am from male and female friends so I could understand the pressure to lie. In my experience, as somebody on the chubbier side, people are a lot more polite about weight than they are about height.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Insecurities?

Height shaming is still a massive issue that guys are still told to just suck up. Guys can be just as sensitive as anyone else. We lie about dick size too.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018

Outside of Jersey Shore-esque douchelords and incels this isn't even close to representative of the average guy's mindset.

Lady Murasaki

Scary Shiny Glasses
Oct 25, 2017
The claim that '' men don't care about women's height'' is ridiculous. Maybe if the woman in question is already smaller than the guy, but if she is taller? Bullshit. As a 5'9'' woman in a country where the average height for women is 5'0'' and the average for men is 5'8'' [even though I suspect a very few tall men are pushing this average up] I've been taking shit for my height since I was a teen. Short men would make distasteful jokes all the time [out of spite I presume] and I heard I would never ''find a man'' more times than I can count. My best female friend who has the same height as me dealt with the same shit. On the other hand, my 5'0'' friends dated a range of men that varied from very close to their height to men taller than me. Never heard any of them say anything about wanting only very tall men. And none of my tall girlfriends ever discarded a man just because of his height, it was never a decisive factor in the equation.

I suspect the reality in dating apps might be different, but honestly, a height requirement is nothing compared to what women put up with. ''No single mothers, no Black women, no fat women'' and the list goes on. And from my own experience, a lot of women have this requirement not due to attraction, but due to a cultural standard that the man always must be taller than the woman, that isn't only kept alive by women, but by men as well. ''Men must be dominant, it's just natural, blablabla.'' Maybe if men also didn't care about this aspect of height women wouldn't feel insecure about dating shorter men? Btw, I'm not saying all women care about height due to social pressure, some can just have a specific height preference, but I know that many do.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Though I don't think you're doing yourself any favors, whether you're lying about how tall you are or using filters and angles to change how you look. I don't think that's strictly a misogynistic thing, people generally don't like being deceived. Like yeah, if you say you're 6 feet tall when you're actually 5'11", it's not really a big deal but if you are presenting yourself in a way that is very different to how you look in person, I can't say it's justified just because people may reject you for how you truly look. Though concerning the OP, it does answer the simple question of "why?"
I'm not saying the dislike of being deceived is misogynistic; rather, the vitriol that encourages this deceptive framing of photos of women by themselves is misogynistic. Two wrongs don't make a right and all that, but I can understand WHY people engage in that deception given the alternative is being harassed.

Deleted member 6949

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In my Tinder photo I'm standing in a convenience store, next to the height chart that they use to see how tall a robber is.

ohlawd

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Phantagrande
the good thing about being short is I have no need to lie about it. how do I play off 5'2, 5'3 and claim I'm a desirable 6+ footer? I can't

and like any average woman is likely taller than me. I ain't picky tho. everyone's good

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, yeah it sucks. Guys do it, girls do it. For whatever reason each sex seems to have some "golden number" that you either have to reach (guys) or not exceed (girls) to be considered "ideal", especially in an age of online dating where that information is typically in plain view on your profile. It's so weird. But I get why people try to add or subtract an inch or two. Some apps actually have filters to exclude those who don't fall in your ideal height range. It hurts seeing an attractive guy or girl's profile, then under that it saying "NO ONE OVER/UNDER THIS HEIGHT".

I'd be lying if I said I didn't shave 10-20 pounds off my actual weight when I was heavier (off-topic but somewhat related). If people opened my profile and saw a "3" as the starting number in my weight, it was almost always an instant block/no response. Now that I've lost a ton I'm very honest about it, mainly cause I'm so happy with that number now haha. But yeah, I get it. I wish we didn't live in a world where it felt "necessary", but I get it.

Edit: Double negatives lawl

Last edited:

Pimienta

Oct 25, 2017
I'm the average height (170cm) around here (174cm). It doesn't bother me, but did go to Spain and most men tend to be around 180cm, which did make me look and feel small.

Nov 17, 2017
I'm not saying the dislike of being deceived is misogynistic; rather, the vitriol that encourages this deceptive framing of photos of women by themselves is misogynistic. Two wrongs don't make a right and all that, but I can understand WHY people engage in that deception given the alternative is being harassed.
True, no one deserves to be harassed on these apps (or in general), I thought what you were saying is that the dislike of women using filters and angles to hide what they look like was misogynistic in of itself. Yeah, when it comes to the simple why, it's not unclear why people would lie or otherwise present themselves differently on dating apps.

Dec 22, 2017
Both men and women can be shallow about a number of things. That's no surprise.

I think what's weird about the whole height thing is that it's such a specific and arbitrary cut-off. Like "taller than me" would make sense but so many women I see on dating apps are specifically say 6 feet or bust. They can be 5'1" and still say 6'0" or taller only. Like at that height, would it really matter if the guy was a few inches short of 6 feet when he's gonna tower over you anyway?

I think it's also the difference in that on those apps, you will see lots of women putting out that height requirement up front and it's a generally accepted thing but if a man said any one of the things you listed as a requirement, I think we'd agree that'd be weird if not just plain offensive.

For sure. I was responding to the absurd claim that "women are weird" for caring about height when most dudes have a laundry list of shit they get hung up on.

And if men had the upper hand in dating apps I can imagine we'd see stuff like "no fat chicks" or "c-cup or bigger only".

Anyone that is that openly shallow - male or female - is not worth dating anyway. They are doing everyone a favor by being so upfront about it.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
True, no one deserves to be harassed on these apps (or in general), I thought what you were saying is that the dislike of women using filters and angles to hide what they look like was misogynistic in of itself. Yeah, when it comes to the simple why, it's not unclear why people would lie or otherwise present themselves differently on dating apps.
Nope, I get why people don't like being deceived, that's completely understandable. I also understand WHY people are taking angles photos or using filters or lying about their height: it's due to toxic attitudes about people's bodies.

Sölf

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
No idea what all these non meter sizes are, but I am 1,98m and most of my friends are also around that height... xD

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Media teaches us that women care a lot about men's height, just like men care a lot about women's breast size. In reality neither matters much.

Ragnar

Oct 28, 2017
No idea what all these non meter sizes are, but I am 1,98m and most of my friends are also around that height... xD
That's a very peculiar group of friends. First of all because it would have to made up out of almost exclusively men. Secondly because even in Sweden, which is among the taller countries in the world, only 8 in 10,000 men are at or above that height. 15 out of 1,000,000 if you include the entire population.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Also, not gonna lie, i dont think i saw anyone ever talk shit about 5'9"-5'11" guys before dating apps

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you're under 6'0", are you even a man?

/s

Idk. At 6'2", I've always been aware that I'm taller than average, but my perspective is a bit skewed due to me being pretty runty within my family. It's definitely something that irks you a bit when you grow up feeling like your image of a man is one that's tall and strong.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Height never bothered me...until my teenager old became taller than me lol (and I'm 6'1").

Seriously though I don't get being upset about things out of your control

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm 191cm in the morning and 186-188 in the evening when my posture becomes slouched, lol.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
I'm 5'9 but I do feel short for some reason.

It's all relative, I don't understand why people lie though yeah...Like, uhh it's really not something you can get away with