• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm 5'8'', dated a woman who was 5'11'' who told me her boyfriend was 5'9''. Met him in person and I was taller than him. Alrighty.

Height is an easy filter for online dating and people like to project a sense of their own importance by discussing their selective preferences when in reality attraction is more fluid, and in response people lie about their own traits to try to live up to other people's selective preferences.

Also not discussed as much is the racism that underlies a lot of discussion about men's heights in relation to Hispanic / Asian / South Asian people vs. white or black people, from my experience living in the Northeast United States.

And yeah, honestly rolling my eyes a little at the complaints about being 6'2'' - 6'4'' as a man - that's considered a pretty nice height and a lot of people would be glad to trade the negatives for the greater social acceptance.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
Since highschool I was 5'8" then last year while getting prepared for surgery was told I was 5'6" and that was a real blow. I'm not sure why I cared so much but then I went to another doctor the other day and they had me at damn near 5'9". So I don't even fucking know any more.

I'm a good combination of my parents. My dad is 6'1" and my mom is 4'11".

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
To all the short guys and tall women:

You are gorgeous - and if you're single, date each other. :3

750a7a7301e1b165d1780a3dec385302.jpg

Kay

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
i'm 183cm / 6 foot and have super wide shoulders. Tshirts almost never fit properly it sucks. Also love whacking my knees on buses and trains :(

Annatar86

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
being tall is generally perceived as an attractive feature by females (not sure about other males)
it's not super easy to tell, especially when you're younger than 25 and hence still developing (so you tend to err on the + side)
and for the same reason people lie about their penis size, because they feel like it's a competition

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
dude, life sucks sometimes. this is one of those times. you are not going to be able to change anything about the fact that taller people are immediately judged to be more intelligent, wiser and more powerful. it's ignorant, I KNOW, but it is a fact of life. you're not going to be able to change something so hard wired into our biology, that's not making intellectually lazy commentary, that's recognizing the cold hard truth. if you think you can change the world in this matter, by all means, go scream it from a mountain top.

but i think some people need a little tough love when it comes to this. being 5'10" myself and having frustrations with that, i get it, but what i've also found out is crying and whining about it does nothing but make you look even less attractive to the rest of the world.

"Hard-wired into our biology" is the same argument used for every type of prejudice and bigotry. It's a throwaway line that doesn't reflect actual scientific understanding. It's been used for everything from racism, to sexism, to homophobia. If you want to continue believing that everything's a-ok when it comes to discriminating against people based on their appearance, that's on you. But don't pretend you have some sort of intellectual or moral high ground. And maybe consider that as a person of average height you might not actually understand the full ramifications of what height discrimination can entail.

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
"Hard-wired into our biology" is the same argument used for every type of prejudice and bigotry. It's a throwaway line that doesn't reflect actual scientific understanding. It's been used for everything from racism, to sexism, to homophobia. If you want to continue believing that everything's a-ok when it comes to discriminating against people based on their appearance, that's on you. But don't pretend you have some sort of intellectual or moral high ground. And maybe consider that as a person of average height you might not actually understand the full ramifications of what height discrimination can entail.

false equivalency

you just compared me to a racist, bigot and homophobe in one comment, when we're talking about nothing that has anything to do with that

thanks a lot jerk

dont bother responding im putting you on ignore

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
false equivalency

you just compared me to a racist, bigot and homophobe in one comment, when we're talking about nothing that has anything to do with that

thanks a lot jerk

dont bother responding im putting you on ignore

I see you've been banned for blatant racism so that's all I need to know.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't be shallow on dating apps and I won't lie. Whatever gets me to the date and past that fucking shallow filter that rarely exists in person.

Untzillatx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Basque Country
There are instinctual and psychological elements to why (some) women prefer taller men, as well as height being perceived as more powerful. Sure whatever, that's fine. I don't really care about that or being masculine in the traditional sense.

What I do care about is people publicly propagating this shitty idea that if you're under 6ft you are less of a man and are short and unattractive. I don't care if you have a height preference but you don't need to shit on people for it or make memes about it. It's low key (not really, even) bullying. If people were out there making memes about people being overweight you'd better believe there would be outrage about it (in fact, certain subreddits were banned for this very reason)

So yeah, have your internal preferences about height. That's only natural. But stop making other people self conscious about their own height. It's just shitty.

If people stopped being shitty about height I bet less people would lie about it.

This right here.

(Some) women preferring tall(er) men is fine, and I say this as a 164cm/5'4" short man. Whatever the underlying reasons may be, preferences are preferences.

However, some people for some reason now seem to believe this makes the public mockery of short people just ok. For any other physical trait, particularly those you cannot change, it would be frown upon, but somehow height shaming is ok.

In online dating, if you prefer tall men so be it, but is it really necessary to be disrespectful about it?

rckvla

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 5'8 1/2. Don't really care about anyone's, so it's a bit weird for me that it's a big deal for some people.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
Damn shit just happened to me. Was talking to a woman on Hinge since Sunday and planned on meeting this Saturday. Sent a message like "are you really 5'5?" I knew what was coming next aka I don't want to date guys shorter than me. Now looks like she is backing out on the prospect of meeting up in the city.

Last edited:

Lashes.541

Dec 18, 2017
Roseburg Oregon
I have never met any one that lies about how tall they are. And if any one would it would be me lol. I'm 5'7. It's probably why I only date girls that are 5'5 or shorter.

Thunder11

Oct 27, 2017
Damn shit just happened to me. Was talking to a woman on Hinge since Sunday and planned on meeting this Saturday. Sent a message like "are you really 5'5?" I knew what was coming next aka I don't want to date guys shorter than me. Now looks like she is backing out on the prospect of meeting up in the city.

this happens extremely frequently to my shorter friends

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
Bro You can sit on top of my shoulders and we can wear a trenchcoat. I'm in Tampa.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I dunno, but being 6'3 feels like the perfect height. Buses and planes can be cramped, but getting the extra leg room upgrade on flights makes it all better. I feel that if I was way taller than I already was, just finding stuff that fits would be drastically harder. Getting size 14/15 shoes is already difficult as shit.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I'm a short dude 5'6 and dating is tough for us. We have to work harder to stand out for dating so I don't blame men for trying to lie about it, but it's a fools errand.

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I am 178cm, - i just round it up to 180 when someone asks (which is never? don't remember the last time someone asked for my height).no one would ever notice because i have quite the hairdo too

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
I will never understand why length is so important, basically because I'm short I guess? :lol

I'm 5' 9", like my man Royce. I once dated a girl who was 6' 2". No issues for me at least.

Jun 10, 2018
Not to shit on anyone's parade, but when people talk about short people having it rough in the dating world, they are definitely and almost universally referring to those men who are 5'6" and shorter.

It's a completely different level of rejection when you're a man at that height vs. 5'7"-5'11".

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I dunno, but being 6'3 feels like the perfect height. Buses and planes can be cramped, but getting the extra leg room upgrade on flights makes it all better. I feel that if I was way taller than I already was, just finding stuff that fits would be drastically harder. Getting size 14/15 shoes is already difficult as shit.

I'm 6'5". It's not that hard. Planes can suck depending on the make. Some stores you cant shop at due to generic makes of closthes but it's not that many. Besides that I dont have any issues. I have friends who are 6'8". Online shopping helps a ton clothes wise.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This happens in sports too. Stat trackers lie about a player's/fighter's height to make them sound more appealing. It's trash.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
I actually don't think I've ran into people lying about their height that often in dating apps.

I'm a 5'8" Asian male and I feel like there's far more women unwilling to date Asians than there are women unwilling to date someone 5'8". However, I do find my height is relatively average and I can see the situation being far worse for someone even 2 inches shorter than I.

Tackling on dating preferences as an issue is a weird thing and I'm not sure how to feel about it - excluding anyone from your potential dating pool sounds like a shitty thing but also I am guilty of not willing to date someone who is overweight, so I guess I'm also a bit hypocritical as well.