• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still watch all of the MCU films, but I usually wait until they come out on Blu-ray. Even with moviepass I just don't want to risk sitting through another Age of Ultron or Thor 2.

y2dvd

Nov 14, 2017
I will never understand the villian complaint, as if other movies had better ones. The Joker is top dog for sure, but then what? I really enjoyed Logan and Wonder Woman but they had weaker villains than the best of the MCU. I put Doc Ock up there though.

Contramann

Oct 27, 2017
For people asking about how Thor 2 the Dark World and Winter Soldier are similar I got ya.

• Both show our hero after the battle in New York from the first Avengers movie
  • Both Heroes are shown starting to get used to the world they saved starting to slowly understand it's culture and norms but still not quite getting it
  • Both Heroes are first shown in the first act beating up with east a bunch of nobody mooks. For Cap it's Batroc's guys and for Thor it's some Bandits in Hogun's realm.
  • Both feature the antagonist as people who desire world domination and plan to use giant floating Weapons to help accomplish it. Hellicarriers for WS and Malekith's giant ship for TDW
  • Both movies in the middle of the movie feature the main antagonists attacking and killing a respected and beloved person close to them. That's Nick Fury and Frigga
  • Then at this point both movies show the Hero is left on their own without any support from people they consider leaders as they go around gathering what allies then can for a confrontation with the Villains of the movie
  • A big giant Fight happens in the last act of both movies involving a giant floating Weapon that eventually crashes ruining the bad guy's plan
  • And lastly someone during a moment of weakness the Heroes are put in a situation where they're rescued by an unlikely savior from their death. In Thor's case it's Loki and for Captain America it's the Winter soldier.

I'm sure there's more but I thought this up in about a few minutes. Decide for yourselves if it's formulaic or not and if it is whether it affects your enjoyment of the movie. To be honest for me, Winter Soldier is my 2nd favorite all time Marvel movie right now (we'll see how I feel about Black Panther and if that changes it).

Edit: Oh yeah and I forgot both are the 2nd films for their respective Marvel Hero. I guess that ones obvious but I should still have it down.

Deleted member 38573

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
People really need to chill out with the "if you don't like marvel films you either a DC fanboy or an elitist snob!!!"

I'm no movie snob but the action sequences in these films really disappoint me. The potential for mind blowing sequences is limitless in movies about thunder gods and super human soldiers yet the execution is so poor. I loved the Cap/Bucky vs Iron Man fight in Civil War but that's about it tbh. Get The Raid or John Wick guys in there idk.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
Doctor Strange aside, the MCU films have been getting progressively less like each other and what's come before, though always within a certain range of being broadly appealling audience pleasing fun.

So when people say these films are "all the same," (as a reason to dismiss them) it's a bit of a head scratcher but I take it to mean "these films just aren't for me."

For example, I don't think Waitit and Gunn have the same sense of humor; Waititi has far more improv and is generally kinder in spirit, whereas Gunn's is harsher, perhaps more bitter. Compare What We Do In The Shadows to Slither and I think tonal difference carries over to Ragnarok vs GotG 2. But someone who doesn't sci-fi comedies won't like either and may think they are the same thing even if it's night/day to me. (Or at least Night/dusk, hah)

People complained that every movie ended with heroes punching their way to victory in order to save the world. We get Civil War, Doc Strange, Homecoming and Ragnarok all playing with shifting away from that ending in different ways.
Zemo wins and the final battle is personal grudges being worked out in a small room rather than a huge spectacle, Doc Strange outsmarts a god, Peter saves Vulture's life, Thor decides it is better to "lose"

But some are just tired of the series, or tired of hearing about them all the time now that the hype cycle is hitting 3 films a year, and "too similar" is an easy shorthand for "i'm tired of this."

Last edited:

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, saying that they're all the same is just an easy take to lazily toss out.

GotG, Dr. Strange and Winter Soldier are all just the same!

They're extremely similar structurally. Tones and visuals can vary but most structures are very similar.

Look at Dr. Strange and Iron Man 1. They're very similar in terms of structure.

Accident which sort of create the power or super powers. An associate of the parental figure went rogue.

It's easy to see some similarities across those movies.

Contramann

Oct 27, 2017
So when people say these films are "all the same," it's a bit of a head scratcher but I take it to mean "these films just aren't for me."
Oh not at all. Again just because I'm able to recognize the flaws doesn't mean I don't enjoy the movie or have a good time with it. I don't think, in fact, there's a single Marvel Movie I hated. I'm pretty sure I enjoyed all of them to some degree and look back with some degree of fondness.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Oh not at all. Again just because I'm able to recognize the flaws doesn't mean I don't enjoy the movie or have a good time with it. I don't think, in fact, there's a single Marvel Movie I hated. I'm pretty sure I enjoyed all of them to some degree and look back with some degree of fondness.

This is me, too.

When you look outside the MCU, even at movies that aren't as good, you can get a sense of some of the variety that they could have. Man of Steel has problems, but it was ambitious. MCU movies are not ambitious on the whole, except in the long-form continuity.

That said, they have been breaking out of the formula somewhat. My issue is less with the plots (which are getting more varied) than with the characters, who are mostly upstart contrarians.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017

I should make that more clear, I mean when it's used in the context of "The MCU sucks, they're all the same." I can see clear parallels and patterns too, I just think the ways in which the films are different outweigh those patterns.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most movies bar a few exceptions have the same tone, similar storylines and developments, the same kind of character humor, the same kind of dialogues, the same kind of CGI-fest exaggerated action scenes... very few Marvel movies (I've seen most of them) managed to surprise me in this sense. I mean, Batman Vs Superman was a mess but at least it tried doing something different. I'm sure the latest Black Panther movie is different enough and all (have not seen it yet) but it doesn't change the fact that in terms of general storytelling and atmosphere, basically all Iron Man, Captain America, Avengers, etc. movies are interchangeable. I'm not necessarily against repetition: hell, I'm a Saw fan, that saga built 8 movies on the first one's flawed twist. But maybe we should stop acting as if all Marvel movies are transcendental experiences and accept them for what they are: popcorn action flicks where one-liners and CGI booms are more important than storytelling.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
Most movies bar a few exceptions have the same tone, similar storylines and developments, the same kind of character humor, the same kind of dialogues, the same kind of CGI-fest exaggerated action scenes... very few Marvel movies (I've seen most of them) managed to surprise me in this sense. I mean, Batman Vs Superman was a mess but at least it tried doing something different. I'm sure the latest Black Panther movie is different enough and all (have not seen it yet) but it doesn't change the fact that in terms of general storytelling and atmosphere, basically all Iron Man, Captain America, Avengers, etc. movies are interchangeable. I'm not necessarily against repetition: hell, I'm a Saw fan, that saga built 8 movies on the first one's flawed twist. But maybe we should stop acting as if all Marvel movies are transcendental experiences and accept them for what they are: popcorn action flicks where one-liners and CGI booms are more important than storytelling.

Who is acting like they are transcendental experiences?

They are solidly crafted blockbusters that care primarily about the audience having a good time, first, and second on developing a collection of characters compelling enough to follow through the arc of 20 films. The villains and the plots are tertiary. If people have a good time, they'll keep watching.

You miss the mark by saying "popcorn action flicks where one-liners and CGI booms are more important than storytelling;" this describes the Transformers films, which are about spectacle above all.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
They're so similar that every film in the 2nd phase had someone losing an arm. I mean, what's up with that?!

... yeah, I know.

Deleted member 19218

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Every hero is distinct but I guess it started to feel like Call of Duty to me. It just got to the point where they kept coming. The Last film I saw was The Avengers.

rckvla

Oct 25, 2017
To be honest in the past few years I've only watch a handful of movies in total and superhero movies are crap fand feels all the same. Nothing special.

EDIT:
Every hero is distinct but I guess it started to feel like Call of Duty to me. It just got to the point where they kept coming.
My thoughts basically.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
I dont k ow what to say really. I like some of them. Loved TWS.90% ofthese films are meh to me and some are unwatchable like Ant Man.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
Personally it's because I don't feel like any of the movies really stick with me. They might vary somewhat in tone, structure, etc. but they all end up basically being a fun morning/afternoon/evening and nothing more. Of all the other genres they mix in (thriller, sci-fi, etc.) there are much better films of those types outside of superhero fare. Even in the element of something like heroism I've found much better examples in non-MCU fare like Spider-Man 2, Wonder Woman, and even Logan.

I also think that taking part in a shard universe kind of muddies things a bit. It's hard to explain but the MCU has kind of set a "tone" for itself and I end up viewing each movie through that lens. I really hope Black Panther breaks that barrier though given it's reviews. And if that doesn't inspire me past the day I see it I'm fucking done with taking film critics seriously when it comes to CBM fare.

Zoc

Oct 27, 2017
Of course they're similar, they're in a shared universe and all part of the same story. Their similarity is part of their appeal. What a weird thing to call out your friends on.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
For people asking about how Thor 2 the Dark World and Winter Soldier are similar I got ya.

• Both show our hero after the battle in New York from the first Avengers movie
  • Both Heroes are shown starting to get used to the world they saved starting to slowly understand it's culture and norms but still not quite getting it
  • Both Heroes are first shown in the first act beating up with east a bunch of nobody mooks. For Cap it's Batroc's guys and for Thor it's some Bandits in Hogun's realm.
  • Both feature the antagonist as people who desire world domination and plan to use giant floating Weapons to help accomplish it. Hellicarriers for WS and Malekith's giant ship for TDW
  • Both movies in the middle of the movie feature the main antagonists attacking and killing a respected and beloved person close to them. That's Nick Fury and Frigga
  • Then at this point both movies show the Hero is left on their own without any support from people they consider leaders as they go around gathering what allies then can for a confrontation with the Villains of the movie
  • A big giant Fight happens in the last act of both movies involving a giant floating Weapon that eventually crashes ruining the bad guy's plan
  • And lastly someone during a moment of weakness the Heroes are put in a situation where they're rescued by an unlikely savior from their death. In Thor's case it's Loki and for Captain America it's the Winter soldier.

I'm sure there's more but I thought this up in about a few minutes. Decide for yourselves if it's formulaic or not and if it is whether it affects your enjoyment of the movie. To be honest for me, Winter Soldier is my 2nd favorite all time Marvel movie right now (we'll see how I feel about Black Panther and if that changes it).

Edit: Oh yeah and I forgot both are the 2nd films for their respective Marvel Hero. I guess that ones obvious but I should still have it down.
A lot of these are familiar tropes in adventure films that you'll see forever listed in TV tropes, but it doesn't make those two films very similar overall in terms of setting and the different individual character story of Thor and Cap.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
I'm starting to feel all these superhero movies are getting too samey, personally. I keep giving them chances, but I keep getting disappointed. They are losing me.

Now, I'm excited to see Black Panther. This seems like it is hitting all the right notes. We will see. But the marvel movies in general, the DC movies, the comicbook hero tv series, I'm just getting tired of it all. For the most part they are just not what I want in movies any more.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Movies are all just multicolored light projected on a screen depicting moving images while simultaneously sound waves are emitting from speakers on the wall. When will people get tired of the same old thing!?! Wake Up Sheeple!

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It seems it's super cool on the internet to hate on popular movies or shows. People think it's cool to have different opinions just to be different. It's cool to love the indie scene and hate on blockbusters. Sure some are garbage and deserve criticism but people rush to watch the next MCU film for simple reasons. They're fun.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm starting to feel all these superhero movies are getting too samey, personally. I keep giving them chances, but I keep getting disappointed. They are losing me.

Now, I'm excited to see Black Panther. This seems like it is hitting all the right notes. We will see. But the marvel movies in general, the DC movies, the comicbook hero tv series, I'm just getting tired of it all. For the most part they are just not what I want in movies any more.
Well they're all supposed to be connected to the same universe. Being samey is part of the mcu's success while still feeling very different. Ironmans stories are not the same as gotg, thor, captain America etc. at all but still feel part of the same universe.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
I can't identify with anyone that feels this way because I think overall MCU has been handled masterfully. I only think Iron Man 2 and Thor 2 are bad and the rest go from good to great. Transformers movies were bad for a long time but eventually it caught up with them and the most recent movie flopped. The fact that the MCU series is still going so strong after all this time and even seems to be building steam is a testament to how good they are. A series that is actually bad will eventually tank.
Yeah, I really only see this problem on forums. I agree that Iron Man 2 and Thor 2 are the weakest while the rest are good to great. Confuses me when I see AoU described as awful or terrible or even Dr Strange which was reviewed well and was a 90% on RT last time I checked. Idk, people like the movies when they come out and then weeks later it was boring and formulaic.

I will never understand the villian complaint, as if other movies had better ones. The Joker is top dog for sure, but then what? I really enjoyed Logan and Wonder Woman but they had weaker villains than the best of the MCU. I put Doc Ock up there though.
Me either tbh. I hear about MCU villain problem like the Fox films and DC have had fantastic villains. It's either Magneto going from bad to good or good to bad with Fox or the god awful villains from the DC films. Zod was decent but Joker, Enchantress, Ares, Doomsday, Lex and Steppenwolf were all terrible. Freaking Darren Cross is better than all of them.

Contramann

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of these are familiar tropes in adventure films that you'll see forever listed in TV tropes, but it doesn't make those two films very similar overall in terms of setting and the different individual character story of Thor and Cap.
Well, it is what it is. If you think those shared elements aren't worthy of consideration then that's just something I don't necessarily agree with you on. They are too specific for me to ignore. Honestly, if something shares a lot of tropes then I think it completely meets the definition of "samey". Shared elements like that are of course going to be regarded as formulaic. Denying that is like saying to me Friday the 13th isn't someone copying the formula from Halloween.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
It's a super lazy and superficial hot take. Part of the MCU's appeal is that every individual movie has a differing feel depending on the hero/heroes. Something like Dr. Strange is nowhere near the same as Ant-Man or Guardians or Thor.

They all have humorous moments so maybe that's what gets people upset? That they're not the super serious thing they're looking for in a film? Otherwise, it's a dumb criticism.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Well they're all supposed to be connected to the same universe. Being samey is part of the mcu's success while still feeling very different. Ironmans stories are not the same as gotg, thor, captain America etc. at all but still feel part of the same universe.
It's not really about being part of the same universe--it's about similar themes, visuals, story arcs, writing styles, etc. Now, this is a lot being put under the same umbrella, and I'm open for some comicbook style shows that do something different. But I'm just getting tired of superhero stories in general. They are fun popcorn flicks with people but mostly forgettable. And they do feel formulaic.

People that like these will have a different opinion. Formula doesn't necessarily mean bad if you like it. But it gets tiring when it's not your cup of tea outside of a few here and there that are personally compelling.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Because people on the internet/era like to complain. Phase 3 MCU has been great.
The airport battle was laughably bad, there have been better battles on TV shows.
giphy.gif

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
They kind of have a house style. Like modern comic books do. It's not a bad thing—I think consistency is good, but it would be nice to see something radically different.

Fox was killing it, before they got bought out. Deadpool, Logan, Legion, presumably New Mutants... they were experimenting like crazy.

Tarextherex

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Homecoming was trash and failed as a coming of age movie since it was about Peter running away from parties with his friends to hunt bad guys/muh Stark intership. Doesn't even has a fraction of the themes the first movie had, he even has a stupid AI suit that carries him. Felt like Iron Man Jr or some shit

GOTG2 was definitely worse than the first, 95% of the plot felt like some anime filler arc. Of course they fit the most cheesy one liners and meme-worthy moments in that one because that's why MCU movies are successful in the first place. However constantly trying to rehash Avengers 1 simply gets old at this point. What was a cool space adventure went way too far on the comedy spectrum. Screw having actually inspired plots, just have a simple one with the most excuses so these funny characters that know each other have funny moments. That's essentially the pattern of every MCU movie, try to recreate Avengers 1. Even the "different" ones like Dr Strange are very uninspired implementations of Hero's Journey tropes

Haven't seen Thor

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Black Panther will be one of the only recent MCU films that I'll be seeing in a theatre, and it has nothing to do with the fact that it's an MCU film. It's an important blockbuster that absolutely deserves to be supported by everyone who loves going to the cinema and cares about the diverse landscape that movies can and should provide.

Having said that, the Marvel studio machine has me weary and tired of a product that is essentially made to sell you on the next 5-10 movies. That whole roadmap they set out with tells me they don't care about creating a heart and soul for each and every movie they put out. They just need their shit to connect and stay consistent.

Look, these movies are fun, without question. When I pay my money to sit in that theatre seat I am guaranteed something that won't insult my intelligence like a Transformers or some such garbage. They're a safe bet, and that's fine. But none, and I mean not a single one, of these films have managed to leave an indelible impression on me the way certain other films in the genre have.

I just feel like the genre is capable of so much more than recreating a panel from a comic book or getting you hyped to see Iron Man fight alongside Dr. Strange. That shit is so vapid and contrived and does nothing for me.

When I see a movie, I want to see something that's interested in examining the pathos of a character. Something that provides a deeper examination of the human condition. And YES, a movie can do that and still be fun. See Spider-man 1 & 2 or Days of Future Past or Logan for examples.

The Marvel films offer nothing outside of shallow, flashy fun. And that's okay, because they are always going to be a good time.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Well, it is what it is. If you think those shared elements aren't worthy of consideration then that's just something I don't necessarily agree with you on. They are too specific for me to ignore. Honestly, if something shares a lot of tropes then I think it completely meets the definition of "samey". Shared elements like that are of course going to be regarded as formulaic. Denying that is like saying to me Friday the 13th isn't someone copying the formula from Halloween.
I think comparing Halloween to Nightmare of Elm Street might be better. There could be lots of similar tropes but overall they're very different.

Heraldic

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Felt Marvel had become to bland. The formula just felt so recycled. Then I saw Logan. Yes please! May I have another!

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
People can try to hate on Marvel and their product all they want.

I will just continue to enjoy the hell out of them and bask in their success. That goes for Agents of Shield, Netflix and the Big Screen.

Though I will admit Defenders was meh and Iron Fist was laughably bad.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
They aren't for everyone - I get that.

I am just glad they keep making more & they are up my alley.

Last edited:

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
I like Logan, Deadpool, Nolan Batman, and even Watchmen. Then I look at the MCU/DCU films and I feel nothing.

It's like I'm watching a theme park production preoccupied with jamming the maximum number of characters I love into a limited running time all while winking at the audience and ribbing one another.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
With so much complaining on an Internet msg board about bland, boring MCU movies and super hero fatigue, this can only mean one thing: Another year of breaking Box Office records!

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's precisely it, actually. It's a crossover machine. Pure and simple. They aren't really interested in telling focused, character-driven stories and that's fine. Crossovers can be fun.

They just won't matter on an individual level 20-30 years from now.

I like Logan, Deadpool, Nolan Batman, and even Watchmen. Then I look at the MCU/DCU films and I feel nothing.

It's like I'm watching a theme park production preoccupied with jamming the maximum number of characters I love into a limited running time all while winking at the audience and ribbing one another.

Also this.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, Homecoming was a little bland to me. Still enjoyed it but it's not a movie I'd rewatch. Same with Ant-Man, all three Iron Man movies, Age of Ultron, and Cap 1.

My favorite MCU movies have been GOTG 1 and 2, Thor Ragnarok, and Winter Soldier. Those all had a distinct tone that helped them stand apart from the others.

beins

Oct 25, 2017
I think people who really like superhero movies can get into a bubble. To the outside world watching the movies for what they are (and not the deep lore), they are often just not very good from a story or writing point of view. Which is fine if you accept that they are just mindless summer action movies. But when people say they are the best of all time it seems hyperbolic.

Hilbert

Oct 27, 2017
Pacific Northwest!
I bowed out at Guardians 1. I just find them all incredibly dull. Like a meal at applebee's, not offensive, but profoundly uninteresting.

I realized I was always fidgeting in my seat, waiting for what I knew was coming, and really bored with the journey there.

If you like them more power too you, doesn't bother me.

魑魅魍魎

Oct 25, 2017
I find all the marvel movies fantastic and i avoid going to the movies with anyone who thinks they are bland.

Lime

Banned for use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The majority are focus tested cookie cutter milquetoast US mass commodified culture produced in a factory. They don't have anything to say really and they will never ever do something that goes out of the target demographics comfort zone. It's made to be digested by the average US movie goer and forgotten as soon as the credits roll.

Black Panther is the only one that is remotely interesting, and that has little to do with Disney, but more to do with the talented people involved.

But besides that, it's just factory films.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The majority are focus tested cookie cutter milquetoast US mass commodified culture produced in a factory. They don't have anything to say really and they will never ever do something that goes out of the target demographics comfort zone. It's made to be digested by the average US movie goer and forgotten as soon as the credits roll.

Black Panther is the only one that is remotely interesting, and that has little to do with Disney, but more to do with the talented people involved.

But besides that, it's just factory films.

giphy.gif

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Marvel films are consistently good, but I think the vast majority of them tend to be very similar tonally. The main exceptions for me being Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy, probably.

For comparison, Logan is a film that was a dark, gritty western. Days of Future past had some PG-13 body horror stuff at the start of the film. Deadpool is an irreverent meta-commentary on superhero films. Punisher: War Zone was an unabashed shooter.

While Thor Ragnarok was "80s jokes: the movie," it still felt like it had tons in common tonally with Avengers, which came out 5 years ago. Ant-Man had the potential to really be something different in that regard, but Wright parted the project and the film ended up having some very inspired action bits, but very TV movie-grade direction and humor during the rest of the film. I don't fault Peyton Reed for this, given how little time he had to work on the film, but still - here we are.

Marvel probably unfairly gets seen as same-y to some degree, but I think what people are responding to is the manifestation of a saga that is so carefully curated and has to have at least some tonal consistency due to their shared world. The good side of this is that no film ends up being truly awful for the most part, but the downside is that you'll probably never see a Marvel film that leans hardcore into horror, or has a plot that doesn't involve earth-shattering stakes for the most part.

Soul Unison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I generally like the movies but they're usually pretty safe and formulaic. There's only so much you can do within the mold of "heroes and villains."