• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The Climaxan

Oct 27, 2017
NC-USA
Home Alone (the first one), Die Hard and Charlie Brown are my go-to Christmas movies every year. Each exude big time holiday vibes that get me in the mood for
deckin some halls, making lists and checking them twice and rocking around any Christmas tree.

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
Why is the op gatekeeping christmas movies on top of insulting members ?

fuck off you douche

Its the best christmas movie

OP
OP
Ballpoint Ren

Ballpoint Ren

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So you're saying Home Alone isn't a christmas movie because it could have taken place at Thanksgiving?

Home Alone, Die Hard, Gremlins are all amazing Christmas movies.
No, I'm specifically talking about Die Hard. I know what I posted.

Why is the op gatekeeping christmas movies on top of insulting members ?

fuck off you douche

Its the best christmas movie
I'm not sure where I insulted anyone, but don't you think calling someone douche is kind of rude?

iWannaHat

Jul 1, 2019
But it didn't. It took place at Christmas.

If you're going to play the "If I change a thing about a movie, it's no longer about that thing!" game, we're gonna be here a long time.
But what if it took place on a bus... And that bus couldn't go under 60 miles per hour? Would it still be a Christmas movie then? 🤔

OP
OP
Ballpoint Ren

Ballpoint Ren

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
But it didn't. It took place at Christmas.

If you're going to play the "If I change a thing about a movie, it's no longer about that thing!" game, we're gonna be here a long time.

Bet. The overarching plot of the movie has little to do with Christmas. Though there's a little bit of Christmas peppered throughout the film, like when Al is singing Let it Snow, John is just a New York cop who was in the wrong place at the wrong time. He did his due diligence to stop a terrorist threat because he's a cop and it was his duty to respond when there's no local law enforcement in the building. The fact that it takes place on Christmas Eve (within the universe of the film) is coincidental and has no bearing on John's motivations to stop Hans and save the hostages.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
5a3718d5e2d73.jpeg

Numerous Christmas gags/references/songs not enough for you?

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
No, I'm specifically talking about Die Hard. I know what I posted.

but as a comparison, home alone has a some drama/action entirely unrelated to Christmas - being left alone by your family and your home being broken into - all in service of the heart of the movie which is recognizing the importance of family. You could literally say the same thing about die hard. A lot of Christmas movies have drama unrelated to Christmas but where Christmas is an important part of what ties the film together.

this thread does kind of come off as you wanting to nitpick what's a "christmas" film and what's not. Why would you want to make rules about what people like to watch during this season

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Bet. The overarching plot of the movie has little to do with Christmas. Though there's a little bit of Christmas peppered throughout the film, like when Al is singing Let it Snow, John is just a New York cop who was in the wrong place at the wrong time. He did his due diligence to stop a terrorist threat because he's a cop and it was his duty to respond when there's no local law enforcement in the building. The fact that it takes place on Christmas Eve (within the universe of the film) is coincidental and has no bearing on John's motivations to stop Hans and save the hostages.

"If you remove the christmas stuff from the movie it has nothing to do with christmas" is a kinda mediocre argument since that applies to like almost every christmas movie.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
How is home alone a Xmas movie?

All it is about is neglectful parents leaving their child home alone and said child having to survive from being killed.

Just because people are wearing Santa hats and Xmas music plays, does not mean it's a Xmas movie. It's about surviving in a ruthless world where criminals will try and do anything to get to their prize.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
But what if it took place on a bus... And that bus couldn't go under 60 miles per hour? Would it still be a Christmas movie then? 🤔

Hmm. Is there tinsel on the bus?

Several people upthread mentioned Home Alone (which you neatly avoided addressing), which is another in a long line of Christmas movies that could be changed to not be Christmas movies without a huge amount of reworking.

The fact that a movie can be de-Christmased relatively easily doesn't disqualify them from being Christmas movies.

Blent

Oct 26, 2017
East Midlands, England, UK
Die Hard is not a Christmas movie. It's an action movie that takes place at Christmas.

If Die Hard is a Christmas movie, then 'Santa's North Pole Sluts 12' is also a Christmas movie.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Die Hard is not a Christmas movie. It's an action movie that takes place at Christmas.

If Die Hard is a Christmas movie, then 'Santa's North Pole Sluts 12' is also a Christmas movie.

Why is this a problem?

Nah, that would ruin the scene I'm thinking about adding where the bus jumps an overpass. Tinsel is well known to be un-aerodynamic.

Gotcha. Not a Christmas movie in my books.

iWannaHat

Jul 1, 2019

You just listed two Christmas movies. I don't understand what you are saying.

The first is about reconciling with loved ones and machine guns for the holidays.

The second is about experiencing the joys of giving.

OP
OP
Ballpoint Ren

Ballpoint Ren

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Several people upthread mentioned Home Alone (which you neatly avoided addressing), which is another in a long line of Christmas movies that could be changed to not be Christmas movies without a huge amount of reworking.

The fact that a movie can be de-Christmased relatively easily doesn't disqualify them from being Christmas movies.
Yeah because this thread isn't about Home Alone, it's about Die Hard.

I'm pretty confident in thinking that when John first saw the terrorists walking into the suite with machine guns he wasn't thinking "aw fuck, there goes my Christmas." Or for that matter, he could have given Al any Christmasy themed name like Nick or Rudolph, but he chooses Roy instead because of an old action/cowboy movie star.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Yup. Because it's an action movie that takes place on Christmas. Not a Christmas movie that has action scenes.

Taking place on or around Christmas is enough for me, especially when the seasonal flair is a noticeable part of the setting & atmosphere. You can make the same argument against Halloween. It's a Horror movie that takes place on Halloween. There's nothing vital to the plot there. Michael could've happened to kill his sister a couple months later.
Which would've made it a Christmas movie

Oct 27, 2017
Halloween is set during Halloween, but really it's just a movie about a psychotic escaped serial killer Instead of trick-or-treating and costumes.

So it's not a Halloween movie, right?

Taking place on or around Christmas is enough for me, especially when the seasonal flair is a noticeable part of the setting & atmosphere. You can make the same argument against Halloween. It's a Horror movie that takes place on Halloween. There's nothing vital to the plot there. Michael could've happened to kill his sister a couple months later.
Which would've made it a Christmas movie

Wow, I was just a couple minutes too slow I guess.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
It's as much or more of a Christmas movie as It's a Wonderful Life is a Christmas movie.

Arguably Christmas is more important to the plot of Die Hard than It's a Wonderful Life. It also ends with an iconic Christmas song and it snowing Bearer Bonds in LA. The movie only works during Christmas. A primary theme is family reconciliation.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I think people 'want' it to be a christmas movie so they have an excuse to watch die hard when everyone else wants to put on Love Actually (which isn't really a pure Christmas movie, but whatevs). Maybe if you're older you want something that you can do as a tradition on Christmas that isn't cloying or sugary like most Christmas movies are.

i dunno. You don't really need an excuse to watch Diehard. I mean Diehard 2 is also set at Christmas and yet no one watches that. Me personally, I'd watch Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, also not a Christmas movie just set around that time of year.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
So home alone isn't a christmas movie because it could've played during a summer vacation, OP?

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Home alone is not a Christmas movie, it's a heist movie that takes place during Christmas.

The central theme of home alone is entirely Christmas related. It's not a heist movie, it's a family reconciliation movie that uses a heist in service of that theme. The heist is secondary to the story surrounding the relationship between Kevin and his family (largely his mother).

While not every Christmas movie has to have family reconciliation as a theme of the movie it's prominent in a lot of Christmas movies.

Deleted member 15125

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think of it as being much of Christmas movie because hardly any of the most memorable scenes of the movie have anything to do with Christmas. It's the dead terrorist in the Santa hat and that's just about it.

Last edited:

Cycas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The constant reruns during the Christmas Period in the 90's and 00's has placed this into the public's psyche of being a Christmas movies.

Must have watched this countless times in the TBS 9pm time slot.

It's now considered a Christmas movie but not in the Christmas movie genre.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This conversation stopped being fun like eight years ago.

It's a Christmas movie but the haters won anyway because they ran this into the ground.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
I think most people don't give a fuck actually.
But i am guessing people say that just because he wants to get home for.. you know... Christmas.

Shouldn't be THAT unsettling imo. But you never know what thoughts can completely consume another person.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
It's a modern day Christmas tale, which replaces the fantastical and old fashioned idea of an obese man in flashy red robes somehow hitting down a chimney, with a real-life hero, who valiantly puts his life on the line to save his wife and all the other innocent employees of Nakatomi Plaza from a group of German terrorists led by a handsomely dressed super criminal.
All the ideas of Christmas: to spend time with your family, to think about others, to not be selfish and so forth, are perfectly encapsulated, without needing to evoke the imagery of a holiday which has long since abandoned all these ideas in a cynical merger with consumerist mania. Instead of buying presents, it's about giving the most precious present anyone can give: your help to those in need.

In that sense:
tenor.gif

and a happy holiday season

rasu

Dec 22, 2017
if it isnt a christmas mover i dont know what is.

can we get the haters to explicitly state the inclusion/exclusion criteria for a "christmas movie"? I'd love to see how other generally accepted movers hold up when you remove the christmas-y set and setting