• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
giphy.gif

Wumbo64

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How is it not a Christmas movie when the themes, setting, props, and parts of the plot are laced with overt Christmas DNA?

Dec 21, 2017
Have you ever been at Walmart on Black Friday? That's why. The Purge is more in tune with the holiday spirit than most movies.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
The main argument I see against Die Hard not being a Christmas movie is it could take place any time of the year. The same can be true for Home Alone. In fact that is even more true for Home Alone as it could easily happen at Easter or Thanksgiving or any other time like a family wedding or whatever. Die Hard needs to happen at Christmas as that is the only time office parties happen.

Agreed. Hell Christmas Vacation could happen during Thanksgiving. If you ignore the whole theme of any movie of course the setting can be switched

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
"It's a Christmas movie"
"Well, ackchewally..."

I feel like I'm on the right side of this argument tbh!

I love that you continue to do this in every post. Ready.

"it's NOT a christmas movie"
"Well, Ackwchewally..."

You absolutely have this flipped. The "ackchewally" crowd is the one who ramped up the "it's a christmas movie" convo to be contrarian or to draw a few shocked reactions of "but that's not a christmas movie!"

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love that you continue to do this in every post. Ready.

"it's NOT a christmas movie"
"Well, Ackwchewally..."

You absolutely have this flipped. The "ackchewally" crowd is the one who ramped up the "it's a christmas movie" convo to be contrarian or to draw a few shocked reactions of "but that's not a christmas movie!"

Nah, it's really not that way round.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, I watched this at work today and it IS a Christmas movie.

Replace the action with 90 mins of John talking to Holly's co-workers, figuring out how he could make the relationship work and no one would argue. There is a ton of Christmas music and they even use background bells. Listen to this clip. There are sleigh bells in the background like this, throughout the movie.

Enough about that though.What a smart movie. I caught some stuff today I never caught before, or at least didn't pay attention to.

Spoilers

1. It's been awhile since I really sat down to watch the movie, so forgive me, if this has been super obvious for you all. John kills his first bad guy, and I'm thinking about why he bothers to pose him in the elevator. Then the pay off of John on top of the elevator gathering intel.

2. Beginning of the movie, Ellis is talking up Holly's gifted watch(It's a Rolex). John says. "I'm sure I'll see it later"

lcYQLpH.jpg

3. The no shoes glass thing is kind of a wash. The first terrorist had small feet, but he had access to at least 2 more pairs of dead terrorist shoes after that.

Yes, I am calling out my past self for not being very observant.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
Heh true, that 'breaking the vault' scene is one of my favorite movie scenes of all time. Still, i stand by my point.

Please watch this clip. Listen to the background music. Watch the Guard and Carl exchange Merry Christmas's, hear Carl sing Let it Snow.

It happens at Christmas, references Christmas themes and has Christmas music.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
Because it's always shown on TV at Christmas and, less importantly, it's set during Christmas.

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
It's not. But if you find someone that think it is you should ask them if they think Willy Wonka is a Christmas movie.

amialion

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas City, MO
A film where the protagonist is trapped in a building and has to use his wits and the limited things that are available to him to take out the villains\intruders that are pursuing him. In the end, all he really wants is to be reunited with his family on Christmas.

It's basically the same plot as Home Alone, which everyone accepts as a Christmas movie without question.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Every year on christmas eve on FB someone posts a still of a newsclip image that says

"shots fired at Nakatomi Plaza"

And I fall for it every year.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Now that the wife is asleep, time to carry out my yearly Christmas Eve viewing of my favorite Christmas movie, Die Hard. Cheers

Oct 25, 2017
Also I really don't understand the argument that there even is such a thing as a "Christmas genre." Is White Christmas not a Christmas movie because it's romance? Is Jingle all the Way not a Christmas movie because it's comedy? I mean, if these films can still have basically the same plot if you remove the Christmas setting, make it about getting a birthday present, does that not make them Christmas? And if their references to Christmas make them Christmas movies, does that mean that Die Hard would be a Christmas movie if it was called Jingle Hard?

Christmas is a setting, just like superhero is a setting, like animation is a style, not a genre. People really gotta knock of this nonsense about what qualifies as a Christmas movie, because there's absolutely no logic or reason involved whatsoever.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Of course it is. Look at the box
91f7G0V9vmL._SX342_.jpg

There are around 4 confirmed onscreen murders in Gremlins with more implied. Also, the protagonists do some pretty gnarly stuff.

That movie definitely scarred me more as a child than Die Hard.
The shitty neighbor didn't survive that trip out of the 2nd floor window going 30mph, that's for sure

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
Having just watched it today with the fam, yes.

It is definitely a Christmas movie. It even positions itself as kind of an ironic Xmas movie.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Lethal Weapon really deserves the Die Hard spot if you ask me. Not only is it way more Christmassy in themes, but it's also the thing that gave the idea for Joel Silver to suggest Die Hard get set at Christmas in the first place.

(And that's why you can't cite the writer or director in shooting down it being a Christmas movie, it was the PRODUCER who deemed it so).

Die Hard doesn't just 'happen' to be set at Christmas. It was a 100% intentional creative choice that was deemed fundamental enough to the damn thing to set the sequel at the same time of year.

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
Because it is a Christmas movie. The whole damn movie makes Christmas references. But what puts it over the top as a Christmas movie is hands down is that it features the greatest Christmas song ever made...

Edit: See the above poster knows whats up

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I can't believe there are still people that don't think it's a christmas movie. It's always a funny conversation but... it's a christmas movie.

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
GF wanted to watch it after hearing it was a Christmas movie, then stated she was lied to lol.

She also couldn't finish the movie after asking so he just keeps killing them all right, I was like well yeah but its so goooood.