• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Nah they can GameFreak's been making Xbox one/PS4/PC titles lately like tambo, and that other game. 2nd party means they have a good relationship but Nintendo doesn't own them. It's just Hal and intelligent system friends with benefits
Hal also developed and published their own iOS game (Part Time UFO) and even microconsole (Pasocom Mini MZ-80C) recently. They also selfpublished several of their own Virtual Console titles over the years (Adventures of Lolo 1-2, Revenge of the Gator).

IntSys hasn't done anything non-Nintendo too recently but they did handle a couple Dragon Quest releases for Square Enix last gen (DQ Wars on DSiWare and DQ I•II•III Collection on Wii).

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Ok, but Nintendo didn't develop W101.
I thought Nintendo EPD had a pretty healthy presence on the development side alongside Platinum. Hitoshi Yamagami was one of the producers at least, and he's a Nintendo producer who worked on a ton of Intelligent Systems and MonolithSoft games

EDIT: Yup, EPD 1 is credited as a co-developer.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
In terms of sales compared to the amount of content on offer, 1-2 Switch might be one of Nintendo's best selling games of all time

Driggonny

Oct 26, 2017
The number of times I've seen someone say "__ didn't sell well" based on nothing but feelings is annoying

MetalBoi

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Oh wow, that Vita thread linked on the last page of that gaf Switch thread is even better!

"3DS destroyed!" and "sucks to be Nintendo!" :P

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I don´t remember anyone saying Splatoon or ARMS were a sales failure after they released. I mean they obviously sold pretty good and development costs on ARMS or 1-2 Switch are obviously not that high that they need to sell 5 million units to break even.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
In the case of those two games, I think it's because people didn't want them to succeed.

OuterLimits

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Both ARMS and 1-2 Switch sold pretty well.

Unfortunately Sushi Striker likely bombed.(I love the game). Honestly I'm not even sure Nintendo remembers Sushi Striker exists. I don't think it has ever been on discount on the eshop, which is bizarre.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's incredibly good and you can bet your ass there will bean ARMS 2

That's the thing. 2m isn't enough to guarantee a sequel from an internal Nintendo team, because their time is at a premium, now more than ever. It'll definitely get some consideration, but I also wouldn't be surprised to see it join the likes of wave race 64, Nintendoland ,Nintendogs & cats, for a few examples of games that definitely sold enough to justify another sequel in the series, yet seem to have been ended prematurely.

It's definitely possible, but it's not a guarantee like Splatoon was (nearly 5m on Wii u can't be understated as how much of a massive success it was)

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
People said Splatoon was a failure? The series has problems but as someone who followed the game closely it has never felt like the game wasn't generally praised and recognized as selling well. Splatoon 2 has sold amazingly well. I think people are generally fairly honest with Nintendo new IP, and if anything overly positive with the output through droughts, ports, and low budget titles they frequently dump out.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
People said Splatoon was a failure? The series has problems but as someone who followed the game closely it has never felt like the game wasn't generally praised and recognized as selling well. Splatoon 2 has sold amazingly well. I think people are generally fairly honest with Nintendo new IP, and if anything overly positive with the output through droughts, ports, and low budget titles they frequently dump out.
Splatoon 1 was famously predicted to bomb terribly on GAF and Splatoon 2 was treated as a port of Splatoon 1 for the longest time

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
OP, you're asking a loaded question (see: "Have you stopped beating your wife?"). I certainly didn't see people calling Splatoon a failure at launch.
Splatoon 1 was famously predicted to bomb terribly on GAF
This thread isn't talking about predictions though, it's talking about how people talk about sales after the game comes out.

Or are we just using this thread to whine about people shittalking Nintendo?

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've always kinda felt this way when people say that Pikmin games "have never sold well".

Going by Celine's thread, all three mainline Pikmin games have sold over a million units, Pikmin 3 actually managed to sell more than Pikmin 2 despite being on an even less popular console.

No, it's not a blockbuster franchise or anything, but it's always been a decently successful series, one that's just been held back by its main games being on two of Nintendo's most unsucessful consoles. Hopefully Pikmin 4 can help the series grow, whenever that happens.
Yea that always grinded my gears

Oct 26, 2017
The "Arms did well for a 3D fighter!" argument is nonsensical, there is no reason Nintendo EPD had to make a 3D Fighter and those resources could have gone to making a different type of game. Arms is from a developer who usually sells 15m-25m units per game they make, they can probably do better than 2m with a new IP.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I've always kinda felt this way when people say that Pikmin games "have never sold well".

Going by Celine's thread, all three mainline Pikmin games have sold over a million units, Pikmin 3 actually managed to sell more than Pikmin 2 despite being on an even less popular console.

No, it's not a blockbuster franchise or anything, but it's always been a decently successful series, one that's just been held back by its main games being on two of Nintendo's most unsucessful consoles. Hopefully Pikmin 4 can help the series grow, whenever that happens.
To be fair, that's Metroid numbers, and you'll find no shortage of people here saying Metroid never sold well.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
Why would that number of sales for 1-2 Switch justify it never getting a price drop to $30 or $20? I've never understood the logic used by people that every single game Nintendo sells does so well consistently that there's no need for them to ever get permanent price drops.

OP
OP
Xaszatm

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How does this equals support? There are no new stages, characters etc

I thought support was...supporting the game, with events and stuff to keep the community involved.

The "Arms did well for a 3D fighter!" argument is nonsensical, there is no reason Nintendo EPD had to make a 3D Fighter and those resources could have gone to making a different type of game. Arms is from a developer who usually sells 15m-25m units per game they make, they can probably do better than 2m with a new IP.

But that does not mean ARMS is the sales failure or even a disappointment. It might be a disappointment to you because it's not the next MK but that does not mean that ARMS is a failure

Why would that number of sales for 1-2 Switch justify it never getting a price drop to $30 or $20? I've never understood the logic used by people that every single game Nintendo sells does so well consistently that there's no need for them to ever get permanent price drops.

That's more Nintendo's philosophy than sales figures. Nintendo only discounts their games if it bombs terribly.

Oct 26, 2017
Basically, let's be Nintendo for a second.

You have the Mario Kart team here and you want to rank their projects in terms of what you want from them.

-Mario Kart 9
-Arms 2
-Support work on 2D Mario, 3D Mario, Zelda, Animal Crossing, Splatoon, etc to make them come out faster.
-Another new IP

Is there any chance you don't rank Arms 2 fourth on this list.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This pretty much, I don't understand the obsession with sales data and reviews scores.

Are all of Game Freaks non Pokémon games failures because they don't sell 10+ million? Poor Town 😞

The only non-Pokémon that I am aware that did poorly in sales was Tembo the Badass, which is due to the fact Game Freak fan base being on the Nintendo platform and the game itself was released on a non-Nintendo platform.

Oh boy, you missed one hell of a thread

https://www./threads/betting-time-do-you-think-the-switch-will-be-a-success.1333545/

To be fair, a lot of Publishers thought it would a failure along with the CEO of The Pokémon Company.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1. nintendo and their games are held to a much higher standard. some multiplat or exclusive game selling 10 million to a huge audience of 100 million or more is made out to be a huge deal, but nintendo publishing four or five 10 million sellers on a new platform with a much smaller userbase is downplayed. similarly, a low budget nintendo game doing "only" 2 millions means it's a failure when some huge "AAA" games with 10 times the budget and team size can't get to those numbers.

2. some people want most nintendo things to fail. when they don't (which is most of the time) they put their head in the sand and just assume that it failed anyway.

3. based on most non-dedicated sales threads, many people are just completely clueless about actual sales data and the gaming market in general, and sometimes they assume the games they're interested in must have done well and the games they aren't into probably failed.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I really don't understand why people keep bringing up prediction threads when the topic is supposed to be about folks misrepresenting sales.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
This thread isn't talking about predictions though, it's talking about how people talk about sales after the game comes out.

Or are we just using this thread to whine about people shittalking Nintendo?

I should have read Thatguy's post better, but I was mainly responding to the idea that people were overly positive about it.

Oct 26, 2017
1. nintendo and their games are held to a much higher standard. some multiplat or exclusive game selling 10 million to a huge audience of 100 million or more is made out to be a huge deal, but nintendo publishing four or five 10 million sellers is downplayed. similarly, a low budget nintendo game doing "only" 2 millions means it's a failure when some huge "AAA" games with 10 times the budget and team size can't get to those numbers.

2. some people want most nintendo things to fail. when they don't (which is most of the time) they put their head in the sand and just assume that it failed anyway.

3. bases on most non-dedicated sales threads, many people are just completely clueless about actual sales data and the gaming market in general, and sometimes they assume the games they're interested in must have done well and the games they aren't into probably failed.

Are we sure that Arms was that low budget.

I'm sure it made money, but there were serious resources put into it that could have been put elsewhere.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Basically, let's be Nintendo for a second.

You have the Mario Kart team here and you want to rank their projects in terms of what you want from them.

-Mario Kart 9
-Arms 2
-Support work on 2D Mario, 3D Mario, Zelda, Animal Crossing, Splatoon, etc to make them come out faster.
-Another new IP

Is there any chance you don't rank Arms 2 fourth on this list.
What kind of question is this? I highly doubt it's so black and white. ARMS 2 could happen. The foundation and good sales are there. They just need to add more.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Elitism rules gaming forums. It's why people will dismiss stuff like 1-2 switch immediately because it doesn't fit their mindset of what they want in a videogame.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, a lot of Publishers thought it would a failure along with the CEO of The Pokémon Company.

There is also a problem of constistency.

How can a community believe that the Vita is an assured success at 250$/300$ and, at the same time, think that the Switch with Zelda, MK8D, Splatoon, Super Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade all coming in its first year is going to be DOA at 300$ ?

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
It's still a new IP. And not just a fighter but an arena fighter. To put things in perspective with a single game it's outsold some of the bigger entire series in it's subgenre like Power Stone or Virtual-On. The only things that can match/exceed it really are select multiplats that carry a popular license (DBXenoverse, Jump Force, etc)

Comparing it to Mario Kart, a decades long running series in a bigger genre starring gaming's biggest cultural icon, is nonsensical. The Captain Toad vs 3D Mario comparison is apt, or (upcoming) decrying Link's Awakening for not matching BOTW, Prime 4 for not matching DKCR, etc.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
If everything new they do fails, they'll eventually be forced to make the things I want them to make!!!

I've genuinely seen that one