• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
People who don't like Nintendo want to be able to argue that Nintendo can only make Mario and Zelda. When a new IP by them releases and is successful, it gets in the way of that argument, which frustrates them. They often try to find ways to claim that the new IP "doesn't count", or just dismiss it as a failure for vague reasons. Pretty silly stuff.
Haha I LITERALLY just thought this and was about to scroll down to type it out.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because....like I said....it's an online game that people tried, dropped and moved on to other games, if it was a success it would get more updates and maybe some characters would be in smash like splatoon. And if smash is anything to go by fighting games are huge on the switch, so explain to me how a game with barley any players is a success.
not every successful online game is going to get updates in perpetuity. i don't understand that argument. nor is every online game going to get people hooked for years and years.
it's your criteria for a game's success, if people are still playing it almost two years after release. it has no basis in reality. btw guess what? people are still playing arms.
not gonna address the smash stuff cuz everyone know's the reason.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Because....like I said....it's an online game that people tried, dropped and moved on to other games, if it was a success it would get more updates and maybe some characters would be in smash like splatoon. And if smash is anything to go by fighting games are huge on the switch, so explain to me how a game with barley any players is a success.
1. It received more updates THAN THEY PLANNED. This indicates it was more successful than they thought it would be.
2. We know characters from games like ARMs and Xenoblade didn't get in Smash Ultimate due to timing. Even so, they still managed to put in Spring Man as an Assist Trophy.
3. Smash is not an indication of anything. It's the biggest fighting game, that doesn't mean fighters in general on Switch are "huge".
4. You keep saying nobody is playing ARMS. Where is your proof of this?

OP
OP
Xaszatm

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Heck when last week Stunfest 2019 schedule was announced and organisers said that some free slots for more fighting games tournament to take place were left to the discretion of the public voting for them ARMS managed to get a slot in about 3 hours ...

Sooo I dunno in the US but in France + UK + Spain + Germany ( those last three countries being close enough to come to the French Stunfest ) ARMS is so popular they managed to grab a free slot in hours , not days of online voting not weeks , mere hours ...

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus fuck.

1. You have yet to demonstrate people have 'moved on'

2. It got more updates than they had originally intended to give it and it still runs events.

3. Sakurai literally said the only reason it doesn't is because it started development after Smash Ultimate had completed its design document.

4. Smash sells better than every other fighting game on every platform combined. This is a rock fucking stupid metric.

5. Stop arguing in bad faith.

People who don't like Nintendo want to be able to argue that Nintendo can only make Mario and Zelda. When a new IP by them releases and is successful, it gets in the way of that argument, which frustrates them. They often try to find ways to claim that the new IP "doesn't count", or just dismiss it as a failure for vague reasons. Pretty silly stuff.
My favorite part is when you try to use the same logic they're using that they come up with to discredit Nintendo's output on, say, Sony, folks clam up real fast. Can't exactly claim that a game using a third-party dev doesn't count for Nintendo when there are games out there like Spider-Man that would also not count with the same tenuous logic.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My favorite part is when you try to use the same logic they're using that they come up with to discredit Nintendo's output on, say, Sony, folks clam up real fast. Can't exactly claim that a game using a third-party dev doesn't count for Nintendo when there are games out there like Spider-Man that would also not count with the same tenuous logic.
oh boy that's opening a whole another bag of crap. we have people celebrating games that did less than mario tennis aces on 3x the userbase as huge successes, games that had 10x the dev budget and marketing budget. it's best not to get into that.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Some people in this thread

24b4nl.jpg

oh boy that's opening a whole another bag of crap. we have people celebrating games that did less than mario tennis aces as huge successes, games that had 10x the dev budget and marketing budget. it's best not to get into that.
The ultimate point is that if a first party company pay for the entirety of a game's existence, it's a first party game full stop. Doesn't matter if it's made by a developer that just opened up their doors yesterday, it doesn't matter if it's a developer that's owned by a first party but not in the same building as the rest of the internal devs, it doesn't matter if it's an IP that the first party doesn't own and it sure as hell doesn't matter if it's not a AAA game. People wanting to argue otherwise are not interested in arguing in good faith, plain and simple.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
not every successful online game is going to get updates in perpetuity. i don't understand that argument. nor is every online game going to get people hooked for years and years.
If it didn't hook people why would they make another one?
1. It received more updates THAN THEY PLANNED. This indicates it was more successful than they thought it would be.
2. We know characters from games like ARMs and Xenoblade didn't get in Smash Ultimate due to timing. Even so, they still managed to put in Spring Man as an Assist Trophy.
3. Smash is not an indication of anything. It's the biggest fighting game, that doesn't mean fighters in general on Switch are "huge".
4. You keep saying nobody is playing ARMS. Where is your proof of this?
1. so because it got updated then it means that it's successful now? The game is two years old not 5 or 10.
2. it would make sense to make it a dlc then, but I doubt they will.
3. if the biggest fighting game is on the switch, then it means that the platform is a good place to put fighting games like mk11.
4. ranked takes ages to find players.

Last edited:

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The ultimate point is that if a first party company pay for the entirety of a game's existence, it's a first party game full stop. Doesn't matter if it's made by a developer that just opened up their doors yesterday, it doesn't matter if it's a developer that's owned by a first party but not in the same building as the rest of the internal devs, it doesn't matter if it's an IP that the first party doesn't own and it sure as hell doesn't matter if it's not a AAA game. People wanting to argue otherwise are not interested in arguing in good faith, plain and simple.
of course, you're 100% right. i'm just saying the double standards don't end there, and the same people who look at something like arms as a failure would look at another exclusive on their favorite system as a big success, when it might have sold around the same numbers, most of it at discounted prices.

If it didn't hook people why would they make another one?
because they want to hook people again with a new entry in an IP that debuted at 2+ million copies, doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out.

so because it got updated then it means that it is successful now?
no it's successful because it sold well, period.

it would make sense to make it a dlc then, but I doubt they will.
not if it's a game on a new platform, and you can never make as much money with dlc as you can with a new game

if the biggest fighting game is on the switch, then it means that the platform is good place to put fighting games like mk11.
but that doesn't mean every fighting game on the platform should look at smash for how much it can/should do. 98% of games out there on any platform and any genre will never do as well as smash.

ranked takes ages to find players.
so? people are still playing other modes.

Last edited:

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
1. so because it got updated then it means that it's successful now? The game is two years old not 5 or 10.
Why would a studio spend dev time developing more content than originally planned for a game that isn't successful? FREE content at that. Do they like throwing away money?
3. if the biggest fighting game is on the switch, then it means that the platform is good place to put fighting games like mk11.
No, not at all. Smash and traditional FGs like Mortal Kombat are nothing alike.

That's like saying if people like Forza Motorsport, then they must also like Sonic Racing. Worse actually.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If your response to anything is "Because people hate Nintendo", you might have a bit of a persecution complex.

Why would a studio spend dev time developing more content than originally planned for a game that isn't successful? FREE content at that. Do they like throwing away money?
Free DLC brings attention to the game which means more people buy it.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
If your response to anything is "Because people hate Nintendo", you might have a bit of a persecution complex.

Free DLC brings attention to the game which means more people buy it.
That works within a studio's pre-allocated roadmap. I'm talking about free DLC beyond what was originally planned.

You only do that when the game has been a success.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
That works within a studio's pre-allocated roadmap. I'm talking about free DLC beyond what was originally planned.

You only do that when the game has been a success.
By this logic, games like DOOM 2016 and Dark Souls 3 weren't successes, since they stopped releasing content after their original roadmaps finished.

EDIT: My apologies, I misunderstood you and thought you were arguing ARMS wasn't a success. Didn't realize they were still making content updates.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
By this logic, games like DOOM 2016 and Dark Souls 3 weren't successes, since they stopped releasing content after their original roadmaps finished.
You're somehow not understanding.

Just because they don't continue with updates/content, doesn't mean it wasn't a success. Nobody said that.

I said, a developer is not going to spend time and resources on making more previously unplanned content - especially free content - if the game was not a success.

Successful game = you finish your roadmap, or you finish and add more.
Unsuccessful game = you finish your roadmap and that's it.

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
so? people are still playing other modes.
And also for fuck sake ARMS can be enjoyed localy rather than online , and well FIghting Games fans when they DO have bars dedicated to them having tiny tournaments they would rather play localy then deal with potential lag ...

And well dunno anywhere else but over here bars like Arkedo / Meltdown / Misashi Bar / Fight Stick Den etc you see a truck load of ARMS players playing each other every afternoon / night ...

gotta love this generation of players who think that a game is "dead" just because nobody plays online ... as if local play wasn't a thing anymore ...

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And also for fuck sake ARMS can be enjoyed localy rather than online , and well FIghting Games fans when they DO have bars dedicated to them having tiny tournaments they would rather play localy then deal with potential lag ...

And well dunno anywhere else but over here bars like Arkedo / Meltdown / Misashi Bar / Fight Stick Den etc you see a truck load of ARMS players playing each other every afternoon / night ...

gotta love this generation of players who think that a game is "dead" just because nobody plays online ... as if local play wasn't a thing anymore ...
good point.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
oh boy that's opening a whole another bag of crap. we have people celebrating games that did less than mario tennis aces on 3x the userbase as huge successes, games that had 10x the dev budget and marketing budget. it's best not to get into that.
Are they not allowed to?

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean really Labo a AAA In-House game? same for kiki trick? tomodachi was on the 3DS, Xenoblade isn't a new IP.

How about you make a list of AAA brand new IP made In-House by Nintendo for the Switch?
oh so it has to be in-house, then it has to be not on a handheld, then it has to be "AAA"?

tenor.gif

nintendo makes a LOT of new IPs, period. you making up arbitrary criteria for why the new IPs they create don't count doesn't change reality. they most likely create more new IPs than any other company out there.

When we're talking of console games. I never looked to count Nintendo HH output in the Snes or N64 days. Their In-House teams made more than AAA In-House games and new IP, one didn't need to reach to handheld market to make up the numbers.
since the very beginning, handheld has been a huge part of nintendo's business. it's where they've gotten a lot of their income from, and where a lot of their teams make games for. most nintendo fans would list many handheld games in their list of favorite nintendo games. you want to exclude handheld for no reason, doesn't mean other people should as well.

Oct 25, 2017
When we're talking of console games. I never looked to count Nintendo HH output in the Snes or N64 days. Their In-House teams made more than AAA In-House games and new IP, one didn't need to reach to handheld market to make up the numbers.
"when nintendo only had one hardware in the market that was not a handheld, they didn't make handheld games"

well I'm impressed

guess patapon and soul sacrifice were not new sony IP either, since it was for the PSP/Vita and not AAA
clearly the definition of "new" when applied to videogame software has pretty specific restrictions

Switch

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wales
guess patapon and soul sacrifice were not new sony IP either, since it was for the PSP/Vita and not AAA
clearly the definition of "new" when applied to videogame software has pretty specific restrictions

If one was talking console IP then yes, I never included the likes of Age of Empires has XBox IP in the OG Xbox days even if made In-House by MS. And by the same token as PS Vita owner, never included all the SONY In-House PS4 IP's to try and make up for SONY poor support for the system

Oct 25, 2017
If one was talking console IP then yes, I never included the likes of Age of Empires has XBox IP in the OG Xbox days even if made In-House by MS. And by the same token as PS Vita owner, never included all the SONY In-House PS4 IP's to try and make up for SONY poor support for the system
A shame the whole discussion is about Nintendo, and not only the Nintendo consoles you want, then.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Probably stemmed from Wii U's "everything was a failure". Both were launch window, probably before we were sure switch was going to do well.

ARMs did underperform, tho

There are also certain people that want these things to fail, probably for console war nonsense.

Show me any evidence that arms underperformed?

There was a weird narrative on this site and online that it underperformed because splatoon did better when the comparison made zero sense. Completely different genre and completely different scopes in terms of content and budget.

lowlifelenny

Oct 27, 2017
Regarding ARMS, It's worth remembering that at one point it had sold more than Street Fighter V, despite Capcom's game being on sale for more than 2 years longer.

It was a success, just not by Nintendo standards.

sinny

Oct 28, 2017
Arms was an awful game and it deserved bad sales but i'm sure it sold ok, even with crazy expectations

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Regarding ARMS, It's worth remembering that at one point it had sold more than Street Fighter V, despite Capcom's game being on sale for more than 2 years longer.

It was a success, just not by Nintendo standards.
There are multiple IPs from Nintendo that sell much less than ARMS and still have new games.

It was a success for Nintendo.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean if they aren't doing a sequel it would be considered a failure no? Does anyone really expect an ARMS2?

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Xenoblade isn't a new IP.
Yes it is? Debuted in 2009. The Xeno- prefix is just a nod to Monolith soft's previous works, and the original title didn't even have that in it. Just ask Bamco and Square if Nintendo owns Xenosaga and Xenogears and see what they tell you.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ok but how many AAA-games does Nintendo have with a Battle Royale mode, a main character that has at least 5 but no more than 7 limbs, a story that conforms to the Raleigh Becket test and was released during a full moon?

None? Thought so.

Switch

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wales
Yes it is? Debuted in 2009. The Xeno- prefix is just a nod to Monolith soft's previous works, and the original title didn't even have that in it. Just ask Bamco and Square if Nintendo owns Xenosaga and Xenogears and see what they tell you.
.Over a decade ago. Think like that Forza Horizon is a brand new IP