• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BarryAllen

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because clearly I want to watch a video of a guys reaction to a video. Why? Why is this a thing? What's the thought process you know I really wanna watch a video of someone going OMG to a video. Reaction videos should be banned

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Because its fun to relive your raw reaction vicariously through someone else ie cloud revealed for smash, metroid prime 4 announced, etc

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
I see you making so many threads and I'm jealous.

I like seeing peoples opinions.
I like old people listening to Rammstein, kids trying blood sausage, people from place A eating/drinking traditional place B things, stuff like that.
It is a waste of time and a bit of a guilty pleasure, but enjoyable.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey my Frecklestein's monsters out there! It's your boy Freck here with a fresh new reaction post! Today we're checking out a thread by BarryAllen! Let's get started, shall we?

I think some people just like personalities, like to get opinions and thoughts validated. Just an avenue of achieving it that we didn't have when we were growing up. I don't care for them either, but nobody is forcing me to watch them so I don't click it.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Because clearly I want to watch a video of a guys reaction to a video. Why? Why is this a thing? What's the thought process you know I really wanna watch a video of someone going OMG to a video. Reaction videos should be banned
Um I like seeing people's excitement for the same things I enjoy. It's not like the videos hurt anybody.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People like to have their feelings validated by a personality they identify with. It can also be fun to vicariously engage with someone's thoughts from a safe distance.

Abu

Oct 25, 2017
šŸ˜
I don't care for reaction videos too, but that don't mean no one should enjoy it. People have different tastes for entertainment.

rancey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
yeah I think it's loneliness. Underneath the 'it's a mindless pleasure' I think there is 'i don't get what i want socially so i'm going to search for a simulation of it'. There's some vicarious stuff in there too, obviously, 'i don't feel what i want so i'm going to simulate it'. It's kind of a grim thing.

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The ones where they turn on someone's cochlear implant and they can hear for the first time are the best reaction videos. Or that old dude who put on the glasses that let him see colors properly and he was just looking at the trees and bawling.

Lost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reaction videos like H3 makes are pretty classic.

Other people who just stare at the screen and laugh or scream for 5 minutes is ridiculous

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I think they satisfy that desire to know what others feel about something so that you can know how to feel about something. Reaction videos seem like basically platforms to learn what something is and how others react to it. And knowing the general reception of a video or topic is something we all enjoy having, not just because it's a curiosity but there's intrinsic, social value to it.

That they are in video format means that they are more accessible to people who live their internet lives in Youtube, but virtue of being on Youtube also means that the videos might be being made by unsavory charlatans who are ill equipped to actually be of benefit to their viewers.

nemoral

Oct 25, 2017
Fiddler's Green
You make some terrible threads. Even if you don't understand the desire to watch other human beings enjoy something, you might consider that given the viewership, it might just not be for you, rather than some awful thing that needs to be banned. It's like asking why people watch fail videos. Might not be your thing, but their massive popularity suggest they feed an entertainment need in a significant amount of people.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
They should be banned? Calm down.

It's nice seeing other people hyped for the same things you like, as others said you can relive your own excitement that you had the first time seeing the new StarWars trailer or whatever. It actually helps encapsulates a moment in time quite frankly. They're fun. Just don't watch them. Now are there too many and many absolutely pointless ones posted online, quite possibly. Are there over the top verging on parody ones where people are desperately seeking views by jumping up and down like a maniac and fake crying, absolutely. Doesn't mean they need banned tho.

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I see reaction vids as something similar to showing a friend something you're excited about and watching them be excited/disappointed with you. Has nothing to do with basing my opinion on their's I can think for myself.. Like everyone has had a moment in their life where they were so excited about something and just had to show or tell someone so that could be just as excited or whatever with them. It's not hard to understand why people enjoy reactions, not everyone has friends who enjoy the same things so it's nice to see other people enjoying the same things as you.

Wanting to ban that is ridiculous.

Abu

Oct 25, 2017
šŸ˜
Some of y'all are reading too much into this. Folks just like seeing faces do crazy expressions.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
assd20ypi.gif

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
It's the same feeling people get from being a book reading GOT fan until season five. People like reliving their enjoyment of something through others. Nothing is wrong with that.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
I don't like majority of reaction videos but some are entertaining depending on the topic when more thought is put into it than just a reaction (like mini reviews).

This channel has been posted a lot on Metal Era OT for their metal reactions although they do other music (hip hop) primarily. This is the type of stuff I enjoy.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Ever watched a friend see something you already like for the first time? It's a lesser version of that vicarious first time experience.

Oct 25, 2017
Why not? I like watching others reactions to trailers or new albums.
Don't know why some have a hate boner for reaction videos.(Unless it's something to do with fair use,copyright or what have you.)

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Empathy. other people's emotions echo in our hearts.

If we already have a fond memory of our own reaction, those echos resonate with our memories and amplifies the pleasure.

DOBERMAN INC

Oct 27, 2017
The same reason people watch sites like GiantBomb talk over press conferences, You have a certain response to a piece of media and you want to watch someone else go through the moment too.

Oct 26, 2017
Mirror neurons.

A mirror neuron is a neuron that fires both when an animal acts and when the animal observes the same action performed by another. Thus, the neuron "mirrors" the behavior of the other, as though the observer were itself acting.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most are fake, obviously so, and I hate those with a passion.

But seeing someone's genuine reaction to a moment, trailer or episode is fascinating and fun.

Good examples:

Angry Joe reacting to DC film trailers, starting out happy and optimistic only to end up glum and ranting about how bad they looked or did a disservice to Superman.

People's reactions to plot twists, betrayals, fight scenes or sad moments in anything from Game of Thrones to Hunter x Hunter and everything in between.

Big, long awaited game reveals, Final Fantasy 7 Remake, Kingdom Hearts 3, etc.

HypedBeast

Oct 29, 2017
It depends,like I dont care for these kinds of reactions

The ones where people just watch an entire episode of something or these

where they just watch a YouTube video while remaining silent most of the time,that shit is so fucking lazy.

But I always love live reactions to conferences or announcements with genuine excitement to it.

watch

Lari

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I get a kick out of watching some people react to stuff sometimes, idk why.
Maybe it's because I have a strong sense of empathy.

ThirtyFour

Oct 25, 2017
Couldn't you say they're similar to movie or game review videos?

Why watch a movie review when you could just watch the movie for yourself and make up your own mind?

I don't watch reaction videos but do watch a decent amount of movie reviews but there doesn't seem to be a huge difference to me. I guess it could depend on what video they're reacting to but then you could still call it a review in a way.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watching ERA trying to figure out how to react to OPs reaction to reaction videos is pretty funny.

DrJackson

Oct 29, 2017
I can dig reaction vids for new Star Wars trailers, cause they sometimes mirror and increase my own exitement.
Rest are whatever.
But clearly there's demand, since ppl keep making them.