• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

staedtler

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey my Frecklestein's monsters out there! It's your boy Freck here with a fresh new reaction post! Today we're checking out a thread by BarryAllen! Let's get started, shall we?

I think some people just like personalities, like to get opinions and thoughts validated. Just an avenue of achieving it that we didn't have when we were growing up. I don't care for them either, but nobody is forcing me to watch them so I don't click it.

Don't forget to like and subscribe!

I don't get reaction videos either and some I've watched are very cringy.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
There's something cool about sharing enthusiasm for something with another person (which is why you'll show your friends something and watch their reaction). It's even cool to see someone's enthusiasm in something you couldn't care less about.

A lot of hostility towards reaction videos seems to be rooted in jealousy at their popularity relative to how simplistic they are. But they're popular because they have an appeal.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
It's interesting to see other people's opinions about something I suppose and it has replaced personally going out and asking people about things.

LuckyChamCham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's something cool about sharing enthusiasm for something with another person (which is why you'll show your friends something and watch their reaction). It's even cool to see someone's enthusiasm in something you couldn't care less about.

A lot of hostility towards reaction videos seems to be rooted in jealousy at their popularity relative to how simplistic they are. But they're popular because they have an appeal.
You sir, are a good man.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The only one I've really watched is a compilation of reactions to the first Breath of the Wild trailer to show Zelda. And it's a weird mix of emotions because on the one hand, *I* was crazy excited and even a little bit emotional about that trailer, being a long time Zelda fan. On the other hand, I see things like a woman sobbing, "She's just soooo BEAUTIFUL!" and I can't help but laugh at that.

Sooo... I don't know? Weird mixture of mockery and sharing the excitement.

Oh, and I forgot about John Boyega's reaction to the first Force Awakens trailer, which was great, because IIRC you could see it kind of dawning on him how huge it was going to be.

Oct 26, 2017
I don't like majority of reaction videos but some are entertaining depending on the topic when more thought is put into it than just a reaction (like mini reviews).

This channel has been posted a lot on Metal Era OT for their metal reactions although they do other music (hip hop) primarily. This is the type of stuff I enjoy.

came here to post this (metalEra \m/ )
I like reaction videos that give a good feedback for their reactions. "The transitions between the solos are sync well with etc etc"
I don't like reaction videos that involve over exaggerated bullshit with moronic shouting and screaming.

Feral

Oct 25, 2017
Your Mom
I'd like to respond, but I'm holding out on a reaction video to this thread before I can formulate an opinion

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I watch alot of reaction videos on movie trailers. I dont know i think its fun to watch. Moslty i watch people who have the same mindset and intrests of movies and its fun to see their reaction and to see its the same reaction i had.

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
I like watching reaction videos from people I know and already follow, Not random people. It's a quick way to see their initial takes of something and the ones I watch, their reactions Are consistent with their opinions on said franchises, themes, styles, etc. So At worst they might be exaggerating their opinion some but it's not a fake opinion where they do a 180 the next time that game or video shows up in conversations.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I don't watch a whole ton of reaction videos, but the ones I do watch are usually informative reaction videos. The kind that don't only have "omgggggg, wooooooow, awesomeeeeee" but also some talk about what we just saw. Not much different than watching a trailer and then going to a forum and seeing what kind of thoughts people had about the trailer & if there were some neat details I missed.

Sometimes (very, VERY rarely, even among reaction videos) I watch some reaction-compilation vids for some stuff. Like a certain infamous event from Game of Thrones. It was just lulz-worthy seeing people react to everything that happens in it. And it was fun seeing those compilations of people reacting to Shenmue 3 & FFVII Remake announcements, just to see how crazy some people got when those things happened.

But yeah, it's not something I do on the regular, mostly for a few things I'm really into/hyped about.

Xelan

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't like majority of reaction videos but some are entertaining depending on the topic when more thought is put into it than just a reaction (like mini reviews).

This channel has been posted a lot on Metal Era OT for their metal reactions although they do other music (hip hop) primarily. This is the type of stuff I enjoy.

Yeah I found these guys in my suggested videos their reaction to master of puppets is really good as well.

For me personally it is like other people have said, I like watching people enjoy what I enjoy, It is really fun to me to find someone reacting to my favorite musician Devin Townsend for the first time and going from " I don't know who this guy is" to " Holy shit why haven't I listened to this guy before?"

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
You ever show your friend a YouTube video, or watch them play a game? That's why.

LosDaddie

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Longwood, FL
It's an age thing, in my experience. Same thing with game streaming.

I don't understand the appeal of either, but I'm also a bit more grown

Deleted member 23091

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Never get tired of watching people react to Roman Reigns entering 30th at the Royal Rumble. Watching people go WTF? when watching the New Mutants trailer was funny too.

Oct 25, 2017
There's actually a really simple explanation for it.

Are you the kind of person who has something that you want someone else to watch in real life? Let's say you sit down to watch a movie that you've seen before with someone who hasn't. Are you the kind of person, like me, who keeps turning their head to look at the friends face and how they're reacting to a scene that you really enjoyed?

Reaction videos are literally that but for YouTube.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
assd20ypi.gif

Only one that matters

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
There's actually a really simple explanation for it.

Are you the kind of person who has something that you want someone else to watch in real life? Let's say you sit down to watch a movie that you've seen before with someone who hasn't. Are you the kind of person, like me, who keeps turning their head to look at the friends face and how they're reacting to a scene that you really enjoyed?

Reaction videos are literally that but for YouTube.
Yeah exactly. You already know when something shocking or cool is going to come up, so you almost get like an exhilarating sense of anticipation waiting to see if this other person reacts the same way you did. It can be cathartic to get that sort of payoff.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Watch people react to the surprise Final Fantasy VII Remake reveal and you should understand. It's awesome, especially if you find theater reactions to it.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I find them pretty cringe-worthy because I don't know how someone can have an organic reaction to something in front of a camera. I'm far too self-aware and self-conscious to ever be able to do that, and surely everyone who reacts is playing up to the camera, so it's not really "visceral" or natural in any way...but at the same time they're not harming anyone, so there are plenty more worthy things to get annoyed about.

burgervan

Oct 27, 2017
The people who don't like reaction videos in here are over-thinking it. It's not about loneliness or validation. It's a fun little vicarious thrill to see people excited or laughing or generally enjoying something that you've also enjoyed. I like being able to relive my own initial reaction through them.

There's a lot of reactors who are over the top and fake. Those are cringey as fuck but genuine reactions are fun to watch. Crowd reactions are the best.

dakun

Oct 28, 2017
reaction videos should be banned? lol wtf

and people saying loneliness lol.. Like i get you don't get it, but making it seem like it's this pathetic thing to do is quite rude.

I mean i can't count the times i saw an awesome video/TV Show etc. and was anxious to show my friends just to see their reaction to it. It's basically the same thing extended to internet personalities you may follow or crowd reactions (like E3 for example).

Kite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really only enjoy watching reaction videos of youtube channels who are serious fans of and cover that subject. For example any Marvel/DC movie trailer I look for reaction and analysis videos of comic book youtubers, their reactions are more genuine and they give analysis and breakdowns that casual or non-fans like myself would never know. Like the recent Punisher trailers, a non-comic book fan like myself wouldn't recognize all the changes the adaptations made (example: that's not how she died, he is fighting the government instead the mob, stuff like that).

And watching fans have strong genuine emotional reactions is adorable, most of the reaction channels are either fake as hell or very superficial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wx3WiUH9W4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sUyO8t8Fys

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Reaction videos, people playing video games, whatever h3h3 is... these are things I'll never understand.

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
I have a ton of friends and I still like reaction videos of some stuff. A very simple answer is some reactions are funny and over the top and I like laughing. Another answer could be that you want to see if anyone else is as excited (or underwhelmed) as you were for the same thing. It's like back during when 2girls1cup was popular. It only got popular because people liked seeing other peoples faces in pure terror... otherwise it's just some nasty ass video.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Those GoT ones at that bar are really good, the ones with some dude sitting in front of their hamming it up aren't.

Alternade

Oct 27, 2017
I used to think they were stupid until I got into people reacting to kpop videos I liked. A friend starting doing his own and I really enjoyed seeing other people excited about the same things I was excited over.

Its the same idea like watching a funny video with a group of friends/strangers

GLHFGodbless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I got into reaction vids after the whole red wedding thing on game of thrones. I've been hooked ever since. I honestly could not tell you why. It's gotten to the point were I almost look forward to the reaction vids of a show episode over the show itself. Please help me.

Solo reaction vids are lame tho, needs to be at least 2 people.

Xyber

Oct 27, 2017
There are some reaction videos that are fun to watch, but the large majority is just over-exaggerated trash that I don't understand why anyone would make or watch.

Oct 28, 2017
Probably for th same reason why my favorite "Let's Play" videos are blind playthroughs. It's more fun to see somebody's first reaction to something instead of seeing gem play something they already know about. It's why I never watch any of Michael Damiani's playthroughs because he's usually playing something he already knows inside and out.