• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
i was looking at a bunch of old yearbooks and i noticed something while looking at the autographs, guys have really bad hand writing. the girls in comparison wrote everything cleanly and with style. i don't get it. Is there a reason for this? what's your experience with this? personally i write pretty bad most of the time since i got used to having to write fast in class growing up but when i do take things slow it comes out pretty decent.

Yoss

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Quality in handwriting depends on how often it's practiced, especially when you're learning. When I was in school the teachers were a lot stricter with the girls when it came to neatness.

Pickman

Nov 20, 2017
Huntington, WV
I have the worst handwriting of anyone I've ever known and I literally am the only person who can read it. It's like captcha for me alone and the rest of the world are robots.

CarpeDeezNutz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
"Dear Diary"

I knew a guy who wrote in graffiti script and it was always perfect he must have practiced a ton

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I have the worst handwriting of anyone I've ever known and I literally am the only person who can read it. It's like captcha for me alone and the rest of the world are robots.
Sometimes I can't read my own hand writing. It's funny because I can draw pretty well but my handwriting looks like shit.

orlock

Oct 28, 2017
i have real shitty handwriting, i dont know why. no one else can really read it and i can barely read it myself. i often think about trying to improve it with some workbooks or tutorials or something.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
I'm pretty proud of how legible and clean my hand writing is. My wife has fucking insane hand writing though. People have confused it for something printed multiple times.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
God mine is so awful.

They had a story on the news about sloppy handwriting and sociopaths and it scared me.

DeepSearch

Oct 28, 2017
Florida
In my case, I've got a documented writing disability. Exacerbated by the fact that I'm a southpaw that only received instruction by right handed teachers. Of course this pre-dated the existence of YouTube, so I never knew there were ways of writing that didn't cause excruciating pain. Now it's hard to break bad habits.

Pickman

Nov 20, 2017
Huntington, WV
One thing I'll note is that my hand starts to cramp after writing about a half a paragraph. Does that happen to anyone else? Like your grip just gradually gets tighter and worse.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I think most guys just don't give a shit about how they write so they never bother to have it neat, clean or organized.
On ther other hand, I remember most girls in my school used to put a lot of effort with their titles, colors, markers. Using rulers for accuracy for example. All the guys just.. wrote and that's it.
I can make my handwriting okay-ish if I write slower and concentrate more, but I'm a fast writer & thinker so it goes against my natural flow. I remember in tests for example my handwriting would be even worse since I was writing while thinking thus had no time or reason to focus on the handwriting itself.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
Mine's awful, but I don't care - and I'm sure I gave even less of a shit back in high school. Neat writing was never a priority.

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
i was looking at a bunch of old yearbooks and i noticed something while looking at the autographs, guys have really bad hand writing. the girls in comparison wrote everything cleanly and with style. i don't get it. Is there a reason for this? what's your experience with this? personally i write pretty bad most of the time since i got used to having to write fast in class growing up but when i do take things slow it comes out pretty decent.

Aren't you stereotyping? I know plenty of guys with great handwriting.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe people have dysgraphia, I've been diagnosed with it.

Here's what dysgraphia is: https://www.ninds.nih.gov/Disorders/All-Disorders/Dysgraphia-Information-Page

Dysgraphia is a neurological disorder characterized by writing disabilities. Specifically, the disorder causes a person's writing to be distorted or incorrect. In children, the disorder generally emerges when they are first introduced to writing. They make inappropriately sized and spaced letters, or write wrong or misspelled words, despite thorough instruction. Children with the disorder may have other learning disabilities; however, they usually have no social or other academic problems. Cases of dysgraphia in adults generally occur after some trauma. In addition to poor handwriting, dysgraphia is characterized by wrong or odd spelling, and production of words that are not correct (i.e., using "boy" for "child"). The cause of the disorder is unknown, but in adults, it is usually associated with damage to the parietal lobe of the brain.

Some individuals with dysgraphia improve their writing ability, but for others, the disorder persists.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dysgraphia

Dysgraphia is a deficiency in the ability to write, primarily handwriting, but also coherence.[1] Dysgraphia is a transcription disability, meaning that it is a writing disorder associated with impaired handwriting, orthographic coding, and finger sequencing (the movement of muscles required to write).[2] It often overlaps with other learning disabilities such as speech impairment, attention deficit disorder, or developmental coordination disorder.[3] In the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-IV), dysgraphia is characterized as a learning disability in the category of written expression when one's writing skills are below those expected given a person's age measured through intelligence and age-appropriate education. The DSM is not clear in whether or not writing refers only to the motor skills involved in writing, or if it also includes orthographic skills and spelling.[3]

The word dysgraphia comes from the Greek words dys meaning "impaired" and γραφία graphía meaning "writing by hand".[2]

People with dysgraphia can often write on some level and may experience difficulty with other fine motor skills, such as tying shoes. However, dysgraphia does not affect all fine motor skills. People with dysgraphia often have unusual difficulty with handwriting and spelling[2] which in turn can cause writing fatigue.[3] They may lack basic grammar and spelling skills (for example, having difficulties with the letters p, q, b, and d), and often will write the wrong word when trying to formulate their thoughts on paper. The disorder generally emerges when the child is first introduced to writing.[2] Adults, teenagers, and children alike are all subject to dysgraphia.[5]

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it necessarily comes from schooling, bad teaching effects everyone. My sister's handwriting is better than mine but she learned to hold her pencil in an incorrect way, I think she held it between her middle and ring finger, that led to her fingers developing very weird calluses on them and she had to teach herself how to hold a pencil the correct way in high school once someone pointed out that she had been doing it wrong since she had learned to write

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Someone else can confirm, but I remember hearing the carpal bones in boys' wrists develops later than those of girls, and it affects how they write. Kids learn how to write before most boy wrists fully develop, and the way they get used to writing changes and fucks up their hand writing

Dr_Biscuit

Oct 28, 2017
France
I am always amazed by the schematics and comments that the head of my department writes/draws to explains stuff about the code I have to work on.
The day after when I look back at it all I found is a bunch of rectangles linked by arrows with some sort of hieroglyphs written around.
Working with people that have bad handwriting sucks.
pJ1Hy7t.png

Last edited:

h1nch

Dec 12, 2017
As a kid I had above average handwriting when I really tried, and had good quality writing materials.

However now as a 30-something adult, my handwriting has gotten much worse. I think it's because I spend very little time writing by hand, and most of my time typing on a keyboard.

It's bad. Like if I need to fill out a greeting card I have to practice writing the message several times in order to avoid having to cross out poorly-written text.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
My parents had no idea what my dominant hand was and decided arbitrarily to train me to use my right hand. So I have an excuse.

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Dear Diary"

I knew a guy who wrote in graffiti script and it was always perfect he must have practiced a ton

This is me. Always have written in like all-caps graffiti style and people have said it looks cool. It's gotten worse with age (and use of a computer mostly now for writing).

A lot of it was taking notes and shit in college back before the internet was a big thing. Nobody had a laptop you had to write everything down and make sure you could read it later.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One thing I'll note is that my hand starts to cramp after writing about a half a paragraph. Does that happen to anyone else? Like your grip just gradually gets tighter and worse.
Happens to me too, man it's the worse. It sucks, even more, when it's a timed exam and it's a written portion.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I was once humiliated by my Finnish teacher after we had our first essay in high school in Finnish class. Not by scolding my handwriting, but commenting on how beautiful my handwriting was. Of course it wasn't meant to be humiliating but for a 16-year-old in a new school where everyone else knew each other and I didn't and a lot of people were kind of "too cool for school" types (fun people, but school wasn't their thing), it was kinda "nooo, don't bring that kind of attention to meee!".

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
I'm a graphic designer, I can draw pretty well, and I've even designed a couple typefaces.

My handwriting is absolute shit and I don't get it either.

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview
Because I flat out gave up caring and trying sometime after highschool as computers, email, and IRC became more prevalent.

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
I have wonderful penmanship, to the point that people tell me I 'write like a woman'. I don't know why men are almost universally sloppy writers, but most of my male friends and coworkers write so poorly that I can't even read it.

TickleMeElbow

Oct 31, 2017
Pretty much all the men I know have shit handwriting lol.

I remember a lot of girls in elementary/middle school would have "trends" and shit when it came to pens/handwriting.

Like I remember it being a thing for girls to write notes in cute "bubbly" letters, or when those pens with sparkly ink were popular.

I think it comes down to most dudes not giving a shit.

Pickman

Nov 20, 2017
Huntington, WV
Look up dysgraphia, people with dysgraphia has described what you have.

I read the block description for motor dysgraphia in your link, but I have faster than average finger dexterity and type stupid-fast, so I don't know that it's that. I write so rarely with a pen that I don't really care to go through the medical expense of any kind of diagnosis and treatment, though.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
I always have had bad hand writing. I can't count how many recesses I missed out on in grade school because of it. I think it's mostly legible, especially when compared with my coworkers, but it's very inconsistent and looks like a ransom note. I feel like my mistakes are all in my holding technique.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is a real thing, and worthy of being looked into in the interest of gender studies. I am a guy, and my handwriting is atrocious. I have always been jealous of my friendgirls who have immaculate handwriting.

I have two roommates who are dudes, and they both took drafting classes, so their shit looks airtight in a very clinical way. I dislike it just as much as my own hand, but that is a vocational issue moreso than a gender issue.

I have to write messages to every customer that orders from the business I work for. Try as I might, I CANNOT make my handwriting both efficient and attractive. I come across as a serial killer who has to go check the bake in the oven.

If I write fast, it looks like my hand... very legible but not pretty. If I try, it looks better, but my efficiency dives.

A girl I recently trained just swaggered in and was like "I only write in caps," and her stuff still looked so much more appealing.

Whitemex

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
My 4th grade teacher told my dad that my handwriting was bad. I took that shit to heart and I put effort into it. Now I get compliments all the time about my nice handwriting

Deleted member 46429

Self-requested ban
Banned
Aug 4, 2018
Can't speak for other guys, but dysgraphia makes my handwriting pretty awful and there really isn't anything I can do about it. I've been told as long as I write big, I'm usually legible; I also tend to type whenever possible.

jchap

Oct 27, 2017
I was never taught to print so it is pretty messy but my cursive is beautiful