• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bluebot

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
I've got pretty good handwriting that has gotten me a lot of compliments in the past. Also, I've found that multiple times I've been chided by other men for having "girly" handwriting. I don't care though. I take pride in my handwriting and activity try to make it look nice. Just a fun little thing for me.

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mine is pretty awful as well. Used to be great. I figure it's like anything that you don't practice - it gets old and rusty if you don't keep it up.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, but I can confirm I'm a guy and my handwriting is chicken scratch. But it's fine cause in mostly type everything now.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Quality in handwriting depends on how often it's practiced, especially when you're learning. When I was in school the teachers were a lot stricter with the girls when it came to neatness.
I had to practice it daily in school from 1st grade until HS, in school and at home and mi e was always shit. Everyone joked I should be a doctor. Mine is way better than my Doc, we are the same age and she's a she.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
My handwriting is so bad even my math teacher got mad at me. Told me my zeroes looks like potatoes, lol

RealCanadianBro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
nsilvias

Leave my writing alone! Its not my fault I write neater in Greek.

English is my primary language, and it always looks like dogshit xD

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Girls (generally) are taught to be perfectionists so it's probably less a case of guys being deficient but girls being proficient.

When I was in elementary school I always raced to be the first student done with assignments, and the second fastest kid was a girl. Her handwriting sucked as badly as mine.

AcidCat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bellingham WA
Good handwriting here, though yeah the stereotype is usually true. It's weird when you find an outlier, this girl in our office has atrocious writing, and it's like, damn something went terribly wrong somewhere, what happened?

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Mine is so bad I sometimes can't read what I wrote myself after a few days passed lmao.

Oct 27, 2017
Well, speaking as a guy it's because it's not something I actually give a shit about. If I take my time I can write legibly but I just don't care to do so.

Yoss

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I had to practice it daily in school from 1st grade until HS, in school and at home and mi e was always shit. Everyone joked I should be a doctor. Mine is way better than my Doc, we are the same age and she's a she.

I don't think I've ever seen a doc with good handwriting, a few have told me they do it on purpose so that it's harder for people to forge prescriptions but I'm not sure if they're serious haha. Yah, that's what it was like for my dad (the practice I mean), he has great handwriting.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
I thought this too but now after working and now in an court office and it's straight up more than most have terrible writing and so much is coming down handwritten. People scribble.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
As a broad trend, probably some of it is some sort of weird mutated offshoot of ingrained subconscious toxic masculinity leading guys to think anything to do with caring about or practicing aesthetics is GAAAAAAAAYYYYY. Sort of like how a lot of guys dress like trash and are annoyed by even the concept of fashion.

But some people are just bad at handwriting no matter how much they practice. Some of it probably comes from a self fulfilling prophecy after someone told them they had bad handwriting when they were young, so they just assumed it would always be shit and never improved.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I am always amazed by the schematics and comments that the head of my department writes/draws to explains stuff about the code I have to work on.
The day after when I look back at it all I found is a bunch of rectangles linked by arrows with some sort of hieroglyphs written around.
Working with people that have bad handwriting sucks.

"ಠ_ಠ" indeed

Deleted member 2761

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was inspired to give a shit about my handwriting when I saw my English teacher in high school write on the chalkboard like he was fucking JRR Tolkien or something. It's a skill like any other, and I suspect most of the reason that girls are good at it is the expectation that they should care about it.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I blame computers for my bad handwriting. My dad's handwriting is great though.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I've ever seen a doc with good handwriting, a few have told me they do it on purpose so that it's harder for people to forge prescriptions but I'm not sure if they're serious haha. Yah, that's what it was like for my dad (the practice I mean), he has great handwriting.
Mine sings a lot of consent forms and lab scripts at once. I think it an easy way to sign stuff fast.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Writing education has sucked for left-handers until very recently (and still sucks in a lot of places).

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
My handwriting isn't pretty but I've been told it's pretty good "for a guy"

As for why women usually have better hand writing, I'm guessing they just care more. I used to think it was because they wrote a lot notes back and forth in school, but I have a feeling kids don't really do that anymore, so I have no clue.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Mine looks like a kid's who just started to write, it's super ugly. It didn't get any better now that I don't even have to write regularly anymore. I have a friend whose writing is even worse. When we traded notes in high school I always had to spend a couple of minutes trying to decipher it.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
I think my handwriting looks like absolute shite but I get compliments on it.

I'm very conflicted.

Deleted member 20284

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Because I moved around a lot internationally when young and the many schools and cultures I was in flip flopped writing styles and cursive vs print and back. These days I just don't care as I type almost everything.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
There are two things that are absolute non related: how good (beautiful) is your writing and how easy it is to understand the things you wrote. I am great at the second and bad at the first. Everybody looks at what I write and say that it is ugly, but if I ask them to read, they can. Some people have those beautiful rounded or italic-like handwriting, but when you need to read you dont know what the fuck is in there.

I specially hate people that write the N that looks like an M, and then the M looks like a letter that doesn't exist, with 4 legs.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Just like not everybody can draw or have a gift for math or whatever.

I have one of the worst handwritings, primarily because my cursive is atrocious. I often can't even read it myself, even minutes after writing it. I can write pretty fast tho... not that that is much use in those cases.

To this day, I don't even have consistent block letter writing. Sometimes I write a "f" or "t" or "k" differently within the same sentence. It's at least readable (to me), but I'm waaaaay slower. I never learned to write fast in block letters in school, it was straight cursive pretty much. I got a 4- / D− in second grade for "handwriting" because it looked so awful.

I can type faster than most and in this day and age, that's much more valuable.

Because I moved around a lot internationally when young and the many schools and cultures I was in flip flopped writing styles and cursive vs print and back. These days I just don't care as I type almost everything.
This too. I changed school in third glass and I remember being thrown off for having to write differently.

Deleted member 40797

Banned
Mar 8, 2018
I have decided that almost everyone has terrible handwriting after grading classwork, with more variance in good/bad handwriting among men.

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
The women of my family can write beautiful cursive that unfortunately cannot be deciphered without a team of trained professionals. I forsake cursive and my handwriting, by comparison, is simple and sloppy. But even when jotting something down quickly and lazily, it's still legible.

9lR6di7.png

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My cursive is pretty good but my print is godawful. It always has been so I try to avoid it at all costs. It's so damn butt ugly.