• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
and then they fucked

giphy.gif

Graefellsom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I'm left handed and had to use a fountain pen in school. Had to hold the pen in a really uncomfortable crooked way to avoid smudging. Fuck fountain pens and the stupid fucking horse they rode in on.

Saying that my handwriting these days is perfectly legible (both my print and cursive). I am trying to train myself to hold pens/pencils better with my fingers as long periods hurts my index finger. Feels unnatural though.

applejuice

Oct 27, 2017
Tampa, FL
There is nothing like going to the grocery store and having to help MrNelson decipher his own list that he wrote. Or signing a birthday card for his parents and absolutely FLEXING on his chicken scratch with my adorable little swooping letters.

Lettering was recently a trend for women, like calligraphy and making your own fonts. Having nice hand writing was a sense of pride for girls when I was in school, and I bet it still is now that it seems they don't teach cursive in school anymore (not that I ever needed to use that, seems like it was a private school thing).

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a guy, I'm used to people gasping in shock at how "pretty" my handwriting is.

This deadass happened today with one of the partners at work lol. Like damn nigga, you not used to penmanship?

chuseph14

Oct 26, 2017
I had typical awful guy handwriting in elementary school and moving into middle school. Then one day I decided it wasn't gonna be shit anymore. That second part is the one where most guys don't get to. We do things until it works then we move on.

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
For me, it gets the job done. It would be nice if it were better, but it doesn't need to be so I don't devote myself to it over other things I could improve or be doing.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I can write very VERY neatly because I was forced to do cursive and stuff in elementary but man my hand writing is literal chicken scratch these days. Might have something to do with my wrist hurting far sooner than it use to when doing anything. Writing neat literally hurts these days.

scrambledeggs

Apr 25, 2018
This thread takes me back to all the times in school that I've had to peer edit papers handwritten by male classmates. I don't know how teachers do it.

Deleted member 4037

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My handwriting is pretty easy to read, but I cant write in cursive for the life of me, can barely read it either. I dunno, it just doesnt really compute for me

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
I work with two people from both extremes.

One guy writes so poorly I had to question if he was even writing letters. I have to type out what he writes on his reports and the first few months I was basically throwing shit at the wall hoping I got the gist of what he had written down.

Then on the other side I've got a lady who writes with such flourish it's almost like looking at a drawing; but it's hard to make out the actual words. She squeezes her words together yet every damn letter has extra shit all over it; marks and swirls. Lovely af, but completely illegible.

It doesn't help that a lot of what we're writing has names of people. First names you can make a guess but then you'll get some weird af last names and I basically need a rosetta stone of their past handwriting of things they've written where I know exactly what the word is so I can piece it together.

Actually had to ask the lady the other morning on a name she had written because I just couldn't figure it out. Ended up being Maurice; but the way it was written I transcribed it as McAucrue, and I knew nobody would have such a strange first name. We had a good laugh about it at least.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
I definitely remember the boys had worse handwriting next to the girls when I was in school (a long time ago now). It wasn't true of everyone, there were definite exceptions on both sides, but in general yes our handwriting was worse. I don't remember the girls getting any more attention or getting given out to more than we were, so I just chalked it down to they had more of a desire to be neat, while guys generally don't as much of a shit to slow down enough to do it properly and develop a distinct, neat style.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
In my school days, I noticed more girls with questionable handwriting choices. Like, at what point do you decide to just write everything upper case instead? That's just confusing.

I think my handwriting is acceptable. The trick is to just stick to the basics from the start. I still write my letters very similar to what's on that practice sheet. Learning cursive just made me link certain letters together when writing faster, which can reduce legibility.

Here's my writing. Top is with my left and bottom is with my right. Of course, having baselines would help.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes I can't read my own hand writing. It's funny because I can draw pretty well but my handwriting looks like shit.

Good drawings start out fast, loose and sloppy and then get tightened up in passes. Handwriting is a "get it right in one go" type of thing. The two mindsets are completely opposite.

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
Mine is pretty solid actually. Being a lefty and someone who wrote Js, Ys, and Gs the wrong way round (in cursive at least) early on, as well as having issues keeping up I consciously took steps to improve it and basically copies my mum's writing style which has helped a lot. I know I have neater handwriting than most if not all my male friends. Which is useful as a secretary so it works out in the ens
Have a note with terrible handwriting? Just take it to a pharmacist.

Yep, I work with doctors so I can decipher bad handwriting reasonably well. It can take time to get to know particularly bad penmanship but you get there in the end

Last edited:

moronica

Oct 28, 2017
I write cursive and nobody even bothers to try and decipher it anymore, it's like my personal secret cipher. I do get the occasional compliment though.

I am also one of the few people at my workplace who don't lug their laptop to every meeting, instead taking notes on paper, and filing everything away for future reference.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
My handwriting was bad as a kid so much teachers complained. My friend still occasionally mentions she can read any of her student's stuff because of my writing in high school.

Nowadays my handwriting looks like something from a comic strip. I usually write in all caps, with a pen that doesn't bleed and I can't go super fast with because it's one of those marker pens.

I can actually print decently if I slow down, so maybe it's just guys trying to be fast about it?

zoozilla

Avenger
Jun 9, 2018
Japan
My handwriting used to be great, but then a kid told me I "wrote like a girl" and I decided that from that point on I would have to write as a man writes - sloppily as shit.

Oct 27, 2017
I read somewhere that at the age where writing is taught boys' macromotor skills (throwing etc.) are developing, while girls' micromotor skills (writing etc.) are developing. So girls write better because of the stage they're taught it. Not sure how true it is.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
Guy here, I've had chicken scratch handwriting since I learned how to write as a child. My teachers tried their damn hardest to correct it and so did my mom who has perfect handwriting. Nothing stuck.

Slim

Banned
Sep 24, 2018
As a guy, I'm used to people gasping in shock at how "pretty" my handwriting is.

This deadass happened today with one of the partners at work lol. Like damn nigga, you not used to penmanship?
Yeah, same here lol. But then again, my mother is the one who taught me how to write "properly".

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For some reason, some time around 10 years ago (I'm 29) I just started writing only in capitals if I had to write something by hand. In school I used to write in cursive with fountain pens etc but I can't do it to save my life any more.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Who knows but mine alternates from decent to chicken scratch. Thanks keyboards lol.

Deleted member 18347

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hand writing in general is going down the shitter as we need it less and less.

My parents are better writers than my siblings and I. My father being the best at it.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Lack of care/practice, that's all it is. When I became a teacher I had to deliberately make my handwriting better because I always hated not being able to read a teacher's notes. Took a couple weeks but I made it much neater.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I had terrible handwriting during school / college.

Now that I pretty much don't write anything by hand, even writing in uppercase often results in indecipherable, eye-searing crimes against humanity. :/

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Mine pretty much has always been bad since I was a kid and was a legit concern by some of my teachers in high school

It doesn't help that in high school and university the only time I need to write is during exams and tests otherwise besides math classes so I don't have practice