• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wagram

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Used games is an entirely different method of consumption and most importantly, they aren't readily available in a catalogue for $1 or on the box of some pop tarts.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Why would I pay $60 for a game that's coming to a service I already subscribe to? Isn't that the definition of devaluation?

There's a list of games I'd like to play but they're perfect "stocking filler" for game pass so I'm waiting for that. They might not appear, but I'd rather wait than buy the games, even at a discount. If game pass didn't exist I'd probably had bought these games by now.

Also just because something is successful (Spotify/netflix) doesn't mean it hasn't devalued the content. Fast food is extremely successful but I'd also say it's devalued quality ingredients.

The food analogy doesn't really work. Quality ingredients are still expensive and people acknowledge that. It is just that the vast majority of people are willing to settle for something less due to economic constraints.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
A used game (or record, DVD, etc) was still paid for up front. A subscription does not work the same way, and artists have been yelling about this for ages. Spotify pays less than peanuts to bands.

There's also the issue of curation. A used market makes it possible to find things that are out of print. Being at the whims of a streaming service means only having access to what they offer.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
Not sure if we can compare gaming to any other industry because of in app purchases. You can give a game away for free and still make a shit load of money. Look at Fortnite.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Simple. Used games upvalue games. When you know you can resell, re-use, or do whatever you want with the game once you have bought it without paying anything extra or being at the whim of a publisher or a platform holder, that means the game has more value. You're getting a better value for your initial purchase thanks to used games existing. It's totally different for digital subscriptions, which rely on driving prices down in a race to the bottom because they can't compete on actual value.

Probably important to note for a lot of people that being able to sell a game gives rights to the consumer whereas moving games to subscription services takes rights away from the consumer

That's a good way of putting it.

SneakersSO

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
North America
Not sure if we can compare gaming to any other industry because of in app purchases. You can give a game away for free and still make a shit load of money. Look at Fortnite.

Actually, you can look at games, because the example you're literally using is what happened in the mobile market - 'premium' mobile games were completely eradicated in the marketplace because of free-cost games that were loaded with tons of in-app purchases.

This completely destroys the ability to potentially fund bold endeavors in this space because the chance that you'll ever make your money back goes to complete shit when you're competing with 'free'. And the budget on those games only increases *after* they prove to be successes, not before - Fortnite didn't blow up until PUBG started fumbling their development processes, and even within the context of that example, Fortnite is F2P while PUBG had an upfront cost, and Fortnite completely stomped PUBG.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
What rights are taken away? You never owned the game to begin with.
I don't mean literally taking away rights. Rights might not even be the right word, maybe control, power or options are better words. If a game goes to a subscription model instead of being individually sold physically, someone now can't sell the game.

Subscription services don't take away retail sales, so this argument makes no sense.

Based on your premise, you should be railing against digital game downloads, not subscription services.
Well I don't rail against subscription services. I don't like them but for example I don't think I've posted about Stadia once. I would guess a lot of people dislike subscription services for reasons other than devaluing games, and the argument that they devalue games is another negative on a pile of negatives to them. Resale might devalue games too, but if they do people might overlook it because they see it as fundamentally, as a whole, offering control to consumers.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
The food analogy doesn't really work. Quality ingredients are still expensive and people acknowledge that. It is just that the vast majority of people are willing to settle for something less due to economic constraints.

The food analogy was more along the lines of seeing a $1 cheese burger from maccas and assuming it cost less than $1 to make, which is false when you think about all the agriculture requirements, trucking the meat to the restaurant and paying the person to make it for you etc. for all we know the cheeseburger is a loss leader, but this thought devalues the cheeseburger and this is where the bar is set for people to compare. Now compare this to a $8 cheeseburger from some scrappy hipster joint. The ingredients are probably made at the same place, and I wouldn't say the hipster burger is 8 times better, but because of it's price it's perceived to be of better quality and value.

So of course when I see 100 games for $15.95 per month or one game for $60, I inherently place more value on the $60 game.

Whether that devalues the 100 games I don't know, but I certainly never planned on buying the outer worlds after they announced it for gamepass, even though if I had I could've been playing on my ps4 pro, but instead chose to play on my Xbox one s for cheaper.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
The food analogy was more along the lines of seeing a $1 cheese burger from maccas and assuming it cost less than $1 to make, which is false when you think about all the agriculture requirements, trucking the meat to the restaurant and paying the person to make it for you etc. for all we know the cheeseburger is a loss leader, but this thought devalues the cheeseburger and this is where the bar is set for people to compare. Now compare this to a $8 cheeseburger from some scrappy hipster joint. The ingredients are probably made at the same place, and I wouldn't say the hipster burger is 8 times better, but because of it's price it's perceived to be of better quality and value.

So of course when I see 100 games for $15.95 per month or one game for $60, I inherently place more value on the $60 game.

Whether that devalues the 100 games I don't know, but I certainly never planned on buying the outer worlds after they announced it for gamepass, even though if I had I could've been playing on my ps4 pro, but instead chose to play on my Xbox one s for cheaper.

Take Two already came out and said that TOW is both a critical and commercial success. MS owns Obsidian andI am sure they paid Take Two as well. So who exactly should I be worried for?

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
Probably important to note for a lot of people that being able to sell a game gives rights to the consumer whereas moving games to subscription services takes rights away from the consumer

What rights are being taken away when there's the option to buy and subscribe? I'm talking about the now and not speculation that something might happen in the future.

Edit: Might have misinterpreted your post!

Quantza

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because Publishers don't set the price of used games, meaning they aren't placing a lower value on them out of the gate.

Because it's your right to sell your own property.

And because selling games used doesn't necessarily devalue them. See Nintendo's used games.

We have a winner.

Simple answer is: lots of competition in platform and publishing provision, or non-profit run platforms.
This means many ways to access a product or service - physical or digital media; drm or drm-free media, LANs (p2p or dedicated) or datacentres / cloud (dedicated).

Ideally, re-selling on digital content in some form, allowing basic markets to be formed as they used to be.
With the current treatment of intellectual property and software as it is, I'm not sure if people are ready for that.
But, I'm also not sure if people are ready for what will happen if no provisions are put in place:

At minimum, monopolies, oligopolies and stagnation, leading to: barriers to entry so indies must accept platform holders rules/contracts/agreements, therefore fewer indie devs and games can support that; increased publishing and marketing costs; hiding upcoming games with certain philosophies under the guise of curation, etc.

The keyword sadly is: control.
Lack of control of consumption; control of provision.

PatMan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why should a consumer be concerned if something is devalued? We don't owe the medium anything imo

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
We know the effects of subscription services, Netflix and Spotify have been around for 10+ years.

How? People still go to concerts and pay money for those. Vinyl sales experience record highs every year.
There is no devaluation. The people who still value music enough to pay for it pay for it. Those who find streaming services are enough would never have consumed music at the scale they do in the absence of those streaming services. The subscription services expanded the market.

What's the concert equivalent for games?
What's the movie theater equivalent for games?

Dec 15, 2017
Because buying and reselling physical games is a thing that console gamers do. And we are in reset era.

I'd rather buy a game in a deep sale or a humble bundle rather than buy used. "pirate" PC gamers money actually ends up in the developers pocket.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Free to play games have started to affect the console/PC space as well with major publishers citing Fortnite as a factor in weak sales of their $60 products. We've got a version of League of Legends on the way to console, and Destiny has gone free to play. It's only going to become a bigger part of the market.

Free to play games were a thing on pc since the early 2000s with the explosions of mmos.

The console/pc industry is definitely not the same regardless of available free games. Both has free and paid games, the difference is pretty much cultural, where most on pc/console purchase games and most on smartphone don't.

Value in phone games is a problematic concept because most are free to play with mtx stuff but only the top ones get a huge share on the pie, where the others pretty much relies on whales. In this case, something like Apple Arcade can be a light for devs.

In the PC/Console atmosphere, Fortnite is a threat to other games because it's really popular, not necessarily because it's free. Minecraft had the same effect at its peak despite being a paid game. Nevertheless, a lot of paid games sell millions on pc/console, their situation is not even slightly the same as smartphone stuff.

A lot of AAA publishers will proceed to release flops for a lot of motives. Like Bethesda that loves to publish stuff with shitty marketing and being mad because sales are bad. Any way or another, these $60 flops would be in a lot worse place on a $15 monthly service on release.

The $1 a month for Gamepass is a temporary deal targeted at new users. It's a standard user acquisition move that most companies use.
These deals won't be there forever, no more than anyone expects Apple TV + to be free forever to subscribers.

Swap the $1 for $15 or $20 and my point stands.

The argument is the comparison with used games, of course $1 is just a beta proposition. Depending on the userbase, the game pass could be easily sustainable in the future but doesn't means the games aren't being devalued.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Why should a consumer be concerned if something is devalued? We don't owe the medium anything imo

Have you read about the video game crash of 1983? That was about devaluing games, and it almost killed the whole industry. In the US at least.

It took Nintendo (a Japanese company) to reboot the video game market after the crash by putting complete dogged faith in the NES.

Oct 25, 2017
Concern trolling mainly. One just needs to look how much extra visibility TV shows got since the arrival of Netflix and other services, how much more music people consume since Spotify and such are a thing. Services like Game Pass will drastically increase the visibility and playerbase for games, and while day 1 sales may be hurt from it (not a given, we know of games that are actually selling more thanks to the Pass), in-game spending, merchandising, sequel interest, social relevance, etc. will drastically increase, making the game more future-proof. My gaming habits are already mutating since Game Pass arrived, and I'm playing more due to it.

Gears 5 sold less.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
That strategy devalues games faster than anything simply because it shows us that publishers don't trust their games to maintain sales.
Cart before the horse on this one. Decs didn't start aggressively cutting price based on a feeling. They did it because 95% of games make their money in the initial month or so of release, and have for at least two decades.

The price cuts are them responding to their potential customers who are sitting around asking things like "why are Prototype 1+2 still $40?" or "why aren't the Infamous games permanent on PS Now?" when the revenue from Infamous in 2019 is probably four figures at best.

Game devs who keep their prices locked at super high value are like people who try to sell stuff at face value in a pawn shop. If I wanted it for its initial MSRP (or close to it), I'd have paid that.