• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Father Kratos

Oct 30, 2017
Mainly because almost every other game these days is a 30-40 hr long open world title. Not able to get enuf time to complete just those that are must play for them, and also not able to resist when I see one of those games on 50-60% off sale(even more because of best buy GCU membership)

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I feel that the hype machine for gaming is much more powerful than what it is for movies or books. It's really hard sometimes when a big game launch to go through forums like this and not feel compelled to buy it if you at least like the idea behind the game. Doesn't help that the first impressions are exaggerated most of the times (either by the press or gamers).
As I grow older I also get much more money I can spend on gaming. When I was a kid I would only get maybe 4 games a year, as a present on big occasions. Now that I have the possibility, it's inevitable that I tend to buy more than I should (specially as money increases and my free time decreases). With this also comes the opportunity to "vote with my wallet". Sometimes I'll buy a game at launch or on a sale, even if I'm currently playing another game, just to support the devs.
Other thing, gaming sales are now much better than ever! Every 2 weeks you can get a good game with a good discount, and that makes it really hard not to bite.

OP
OP
Omnistalgic

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Finally getting some time off to put a dent in my unplayed games. I think keeping a reasonable backlog is ok, but I learned a lot reading the replies in this thread. Going to just keep things in perspective. It's not really a backlog, that's just in my head. It's simply fun I haven't gotten to yet.

Some games are more fun with the community too (Narrative focused) so I will continue to buy stuff like TLOU2 with my fam here. But I'm finishing Mario, Zelda, P5 etc.. at my own leisure. They just take too much time. Will create a lot of LTTP threads I guess '-)

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
I feel that the hype machine for gaming is much more powerful than what it is for movies or books. It's really hard sometimes when a big game launch to go through forums like this and not feel compelled to buy it if you at least like the idea behind the game. Doesn't help that the first impressions are exaggerated most of the times (either by the press or gamers).
As I grow older I also get much more money I can spend on gaming. When I was a kid I would only get maybe 4 games a year, as a present on big occasions. Now that I have the possibility, it's inevitable that I tend to buy more than I should (specially as money increases and my free time decreases). With this also comes the opportunity to "vote with my wallet". Sometimes I'll buy a game at launch or on a sale, even if I'm currently playing another game, just to support the devs.
Other thing, gaming sales are now much better than ever! Every 2 weeks you can get a good game with a good discount, and that makes it really hard not to bite.
Pretty much this. Hype is much stronger in games then in other media i feel. The taste of the new is such a good one. I usually buy a game on release day and it doesn't bother me one bit if i pay full price. Like you i want to support the devs for their hard work.
Games are great, new games even more.

Last edited:

Jhn

Oct 28, 2017
Book backlogs are definitely a thing, maybe more of a thing than it is for games.
I mean, is there aGoodReadsequivalent for games?

d00d3n

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Because the collection aspect is at least 50% as enjoyable as playing a good game. It is more enjoyable than playing bad games as well.

EVAC434

Oct 27, 2017
I have a pretty big backlog. But I have a one game at a time policy for myself. Only with exceptional titles (like Odyssey) I put aside the game I was playing.

Some might find this to restricting, but it works for me. I was all over the place before and never got to the good part of the games I started. And I barely finished games.

I am very picky what I buy and play these days. If I don't like a game I started I might give it a second chance. But if it's still a no go, I'll trade it in, give it to my brother or a friend. That way at least my backlog won't grow! At this point I'm past collecting, I just keep the games I really enjoyed and get rid of the rest. Problem is digital only games..

OP
OP
Omnistalgic

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
I have a pretty big backlog. But I have a one game at a time policy for myself. Only with exceptional titles (like Odyssey) I put aside the game I was playing.

Some might find this to restricting, but it works for me. I was all over the place before and never got to the good part of the games I started. And I barely finished games.

I am very picky what I buy and play these days. If I don't like a game I started I might give it a second chance. But if it's still a no go, I'll trade it in, give it to my brother or a friend. That way at least my backlog won't grow! At this point I'm past collecting, I just keep the games I really enjoyed and get rid of the rest. Problem is digital only games..
In the same boat...man, I'm trying to get rid of my current list, but going to start giving things away or selling them in the new year if I don't get to it. Gravity Rush 2 good example, thought I would love a sequel, but it hasn't captured me one bit.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Because like I do with books and games, I buy more than I finish. It's that simple. ;p

Deleted member 2099

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Personally, I don't have a backlog of video games to go thrue. I discipline myself enough that I must 100% a game before moving onto the next one. I may have a spending backlog, as in the queue of games I'd like to buy, but not a backlog of things to complete.