• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jrDev

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
This has been an ongoing question throughout the years; even more so with Nintendo online launching and I've always wondered why people think it's necessary to hold Nintendo to meet standards of Sony and MS that basically have other departments to handle technical stuff. Sony and especially Microsoft have a massive infrastructure and money to pull from and are so much less conservative! Look at Xbox and the enormous amount of feature bloat that they have; and it's not a knock against MS because they always had stated their goal was to create All Entertainment Device. But Nintendo has said time and time again that their big focus is the games so any other thing they will add they will be spending as little as possible.

It always seems really exaggerated to me when people are attacking Sony for not allowing nickname changes(?) when MS does, do people not see that companies have different infrastructures (and money needed to 'fix' something deemed a problem)? Microsoft is a big tech company so I believe they should be able to match and exceed each and every competitor when it comes to tech (and they do obviously); they have the money to do this; so they are on a higher standard.

Do people realize that Nintendo can be 'competent' if they wanted to, to match other competitors online and hardware features; that they just don't care and think it's worth them investing the money into? This is even more exaggerated with the info of Nintendo online coming out. People are comparing them to MS having free cloud saves when we know that Microsoft has their own cloud save tech so they won't be paying any extra costs to some other company. That is not an equal comparison, clearly because Nintendo will have to license the tech and pay fees. This is not a defense of Nintendo I'm just being rational to their thinking. Why do you expect Nintendo to have the same standards?

Liam1884

Oct 30, 2017
Maybe because the paid Switch online service seems to be a step back from even the Wii U.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Because they're competing companies and we are paying for the service. With that said, I don't have a problem with the Switch Online service outside of not being able to send invites to games.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They're competing for my time with PlayStation and Xbox so I'm going to hold them to the same standard as them.

Ja-

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
There weren't that much complaints before because its free, but now they're charging money for it (even if its a low amount) I mean, you can't even send messages to your switch friends. Let that sink in.

chanunnaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Regardless of how conservative they are, they are inevitably going to be compared because they play in the same industry.

I think it's silly to compare it to the Wii u service though. Tech moves forward, and sometimes features get added, other times they get taken away.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Competition sets precedents that become expected across all platforms.

See conversations on Xbox and exclusive games.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because at the end of the day, my cash doesn't really care about the size and structure of a corporation that wants to take said cash from me.

As a consumer, none of what you said is relevant.

LucidMomentum

Nov 18, 2017
Because when you think "paid online service", what comes to mind is the other similar offerings in the videogames industry.

Thus, you compare their offering to the other offerings, and make comparisons and criticisms accordingly.

Because Nintendo is competing with the other companies for your money.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Short answer: Because they are the direct competition
Long answer: Because what they've shown thus far falls FAR from the norm, even when it comes to mobile game entries.

Anyone responding shouldn't even bother with bringing up pricing since it's only $20 for the year...

This is what I think.

I mean that's dumb. With that line of thinking, they should be doing it all for free because it's "only" 20 dollars a year and is that enough money to keep a meaningful online system afloat? If they're going to charge, they're going to have to adhere to a certain form of excellence we have come to expect from the other consoles, straight up.

And if they can't do it, then they shouldn't charge. Like Splatoon 2 going behind a paywall but still having an extremely low tick refresh rate and basically no anticheat is a big problem that Nintendo hasn't (and likely will not) addressed.

Deleted member 14313

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because those standards are trivial for a multi-billion dollar company. Even if they can't do it themselves they can hire another company to do it for them.

Which is exactly what they did with DeNA who help them with their online account system, services, and mobile especially.

Nintendo (or at least companies hired by them) are perfectly capable of doing things like implementing system level voice chat.

They just decide not to for whatever reason. Maybe think of the children. Maybe they just want to do their own thing. Maybe something else. But regardless it is very much their choice and so they should be blamed for the negative consequences of making it.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think I've said this in a different thread, but I personally just set up my own personal standards for things and go from there. It's definitely why I haven't been as angry about Nintendo Online as most people on here.

I saw that Nintendo is charging $20/year and determined that there's enough value for me to personally justify that payment. I only really get heavy into comparisons when it's and either/or choice for me.

OP
OP

jrDev

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
Because at the end of the day, my cash doesn't really care about the size and structure of a corporation that wants to take said cash from me.

Are you serious? Like, I know what I should be getting when I buy an Apple or Samsung device. But any other brand below that I don't expect to fulfill the standards I have for them; especially looking at the prices of each smaller competitor.

Oct 25, 2017
People don't care if they match the standards of the other systems. Especially not at a lower price. But people do care that they match some sort of decent standard at all, which they really aren't doing. If this stuff had been available at launch and there was proper voice chat/messaging on the system and not on your phone there would be far less complaints. But the absurdly long time it took for this to come out, as well as reducing the offer from NES and SNES games to just NES games, and the horrible voice chat option make this a very bad look for them. Especially after things being pretty decent on Wii U (minus voice chat again).

So really, people are asking for very little, and it would be nice to get the very little we're asking for.

Deleted member 11986

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone responding shouldn't even bother with bringing up pricing since it's only $20 for the year...

This is what I think.
Ok then, my argument is invalid because it's only 20 bucks a year. $20 in US and another (higher) price for those who doesn't pay stuff with $ currency. Ok gotcha! Maybe it's dirty cheap for you.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Because as consumers we want the best for oursrlves? You know you can use the online features for free on other platforms with free to play titles too right?

Countless Ninty fans orchestrated entire Reddit and Twitter campaigns against Sony for the crossplay stuff, but why not invest the same energy and effort in pressuring Nintendo to get just the online basics right? Surely primary online fundamentals are more important than tertiary extras?

Last edited:

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
It's kinda hard to set lower expectations due to Nintendo's size when Valve, Blizzard, EA and plenty of others manage to not constantly suck at everything to do with online gaming also.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Because they're now starting to ask actual money for the service and it's such a ridiculous step back from the WiiU. It's honestly ridiculous that they're asking money for the absolute bare minimum.

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

This is what I think.

Do you want there to be a discission here? Or do you just want to stick your fingers in your ears and pretend Nintendo live in a vacuum where their competitors don't exist and there is no industry standard for them to be benchmarked against?

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo have plenty of money and could easily charge the same as PSN or XBL if their online subscription was approaching the quality of their competitors.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Are you serious? Like, I know what I should be getting when I buy an Apple or Samsung device. But any other brand below that I don't expect to fulfill the standards I have for them; especially looking at the prices of each smaller competitor.

Why? I absolutely look for those standards when I'm in the market for a device from a major competitor of the big 3. And I can find those standards in the mobile realm.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why would anyone even attempt to make such excuses for a company as rich as Nintendo?

Just stop.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Switch online doesn't even meet the Wii U standards.

The better question is, why shouldn't we?

Because they started charging for it as well.

It's not rocket science.

Isnt Nintendo kind of a tech giant too? Or at least similar to Sony.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Its pretty apparent that you didn't start this thread to have an earnest discussion. I'm sorry that people have said bad things about Nintendo Online.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Nintendo charges the same (or more) as their competitors for the vast majority of the products they offer. Consumers are not being unfair by directly comparing Nintendo to the competition.

As far as the online service goes, I find value in it, because I adore the NES. But this service is missing basic features that Nintendo themselves offered for FREE in the past, so it's perfectly reasonable to hold Nintendo's feet to the fire on this.

OP
OP

jrDev

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
It's kinda hard to set lower expectations die to Nintendo's size when Valve, Blizzard, EA and plenty of others manage to not constantly suck at everything to do with online gaming also.
Valve, EA and Blizzard not comparable because they don't make their own hardware so they have different priorities. And no steam box does not compare to the big 3...

MisterR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because things don't operate in a vacuum. If you can't keep up with the competition, people are going to comment on it.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We don't judge companies based on their size, we judge companies based on the quality and value of their products.

Nintendo's online service lacks quality and value.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
$20 is $20.

You might have different standards for different brands, but that doesn't mean you should be more willing to drop $20 on something that's not worth $20 just because you expect less from the company.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo expected money for NO service, hence customers should expect something in return?
They can't charge $60 a year now because they prefer to maintain day one pricing as long as possible for games and their current options are renting NES games for a week. Wait til Indies start drowning in the Switch eShop and then we will see it increase to $60 because new indies will be added every month to the subscription benefits.

Status
Not open for further replies.