• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

J-Tier

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Southern California
It's a required health law in many places and it doesn't make sense. Seriously, it does nothing. Unless the water is hot enough to cook you, cold water works just as well.

The warm water may actually be a more optimal condition for bacteria to reproduce.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I've never heard of warm water specifically being an actual lawful requirement for hand washing.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
It's a required health law in many places
jaOumkp.gif

Jan 18, 2018
I've never heard of warm water specifically being an actual lawful requirement for hand washing.

113953.3. (a) Except as specified in subdivision (b), all employees
shall thoroughly wash their hands and that portion, if any, of their
arms exposed to direct food contact with cleanser and warm water by
vigorously rubbing together the surfaces of their lathered hands and
arms for at least 10 to 15 seconds and thoroughly rinsing with clean
running water followed by drying of cleaned hands and that portion,
if any, of their arms exposed. Employees shall pay particular
attention to the areas underneath the fingernails and between the
fingers.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I have low expectations.

As long as you are washing your hands I am happy.

Most dudes in the US don't seem to be big fans of the concept...

OP
OP
J-Tier

J-Tier

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Southern California
Also oils as well. Also warm water helps promote soap suds.
Not sure about whether or not warm water makes the lathering process better. Soap lathers up because of it's interaction with the natural oil on your hands, right? So if you're washing your hands correctly, then the temperature doesn't matter. The difference in degrees between "cold" and "warm" water is negligible.

GestaltGaz

Oct 28, 2017
I see a lot of articles quoting a Rutgers study that says cold is just as effective. But the study sample was only 20 people?

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
What are they going to do if you wash your hands with cold water? How will they find out?

Wiseblood

Oct 28, 2017
I turn on the tap with it set "warm"and if it's actually warm right away then great but I'm not gonna wait for it.

Arrowgigantic

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Warm water is more adherent than cold water, which is more coherent. Soap increases water's adherence further, to the point where it can stick to the dirt instead of other water molecules.

Oct 27, 2017
You can't say the difference between cold and warm water is negligible in one instance then go and say it might actually be more optimal for bacteria...

Deleted member 35217

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2017
I remember one time I was washing my hands with tepid water and the hygiene police rappelled through the ceiling of the restroom, dipped their fingers in my less than warm faucet stream, silently nodded then hauled my ass to prison for breaking the law.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
As others have pointed out, warm to hot water is better for cleaning your hands with soap. Cold is better than nothing, but you can confirm for yourself that warmer water foams better.

The action that kills germs is the same action that produces foam.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
Warm to hot water foams much better and quicker using soap. It's not even a debate.

IAmAnAgnostic

Nov 2, 2017
Warmth makes the water more effective in dissolving materials, or in this case, cleaning your hands. That'd be why.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Because you won't keep your hands under cold water for the alotted amount of time necessary when washing your hands because.....it's cold.

Warm water feels great.

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
wasn't there a mythbusters or something where they proved that the water did 90-95% of the work, and the soap was only useful for lipids specifically

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When you see a guy at work come out of the stall but he doesn't wash his hands at all

gif-one.gif