• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

itwasTuesday

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Just follow the law you criminals.

Unless you're working with fiberglass. Do icy cold first, then warm.

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
Is this just speculation from you OP? Because it seems like you are open to people countering you but your thread sounded so 100% that it does nothing.

OP
OP
J-Tier

J-Tier

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Southern California
Is this just speculation from you OP? Because it seems like you are open to people countering you but your thread sounded so 100% that it does nothing.
I've been responding with points throughout the thread.

I still wash my hands with warm water, by the way, as many state--because it feels good.

I'm more curious if there's a legitimate scientific reason for why, instead of 70s FDA misconception.

ccbfan

Oct 25, 2017
I used super hot water.

Like much hotter than the water I use to sous vide a steak (So probably like 150+ since I sous vide at 129)

Leynos

Oct 27, 2017
When disinfecting surgical equipment by hand, the water is usually supposed to be between 109° F to 140° F. Detergents work better at those elevated temperatures as they are typically enzymatic.

However, as to hand washing, this study says that there is no difference between washing your hands in 60° water, or 100° F water.

srhltmr

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
https://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/13/health/13real.html

But in a 2005 report in the Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, scientists with the Joint Bank Group/Fund Health Services Department pointed out that in studies in which subjects had their hands contaminated, and then were instructed to wash and rinse with soap for 25 seconds using water with temperatures ranging from 40 degrees Fahrenheit to 120 degrees, the various temperatures had "no effect on transient or resident bacterial reduction."

They found no evidence that hot water had any benefit, and noted that it might increase the "irritant capacity" of some soaps, causing contact dermatitis. "Temperature of water used for hand washing should not be guided by antibacterial effects but comfort," they wrote, "which is in the tepid to warm temperature range. The usage of tepid water instead of hot water also has economic benefits."

Deleted member 11517

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because it actually cleans better, so if your job requires it it makes probably sense

Seriously have you ever cleaned something? Warm water gets the job done way better and easier than cold water. I don't really understand why that's up to debate. It's physics.

Me? I usually wash my hands with cold water because warm water *and* soap is actually bad for the skin.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
There was actually a study recently that show that water temperature has no impact on the effectiveness of washing your hands, and that FDA guidelines citing warm water in washing hands should be reconsidered.

http://jfoodprotection.org/doi/full/10.4315/0362-028X.JFP-16-370?code=fopr-site

In our study, no significant difference in washing effectiveness was found at different temperatures (15 to 38°C). This finding agrees with those of Michaels et al. (49, 50), who tested a wider range of water temperatures (4.4 to 48.9°C) but found mean microbial reductions of ∼2 to 2.5 log CFU, very similar to our mean reductions of 1.9 to 2.3 log CFU. Courtenay et al. (21) found a small but significant difference (94 versus 99%; P < 0.05) in microbial reduction between a cool rinse (26°C) and a warm rinse (40°C), but because none of these experimental washes included the use of soap, the relevance to a hand washing following the recommendation of the FDA Food Code (70) is unclear. Because Courtenay et al. studied hands inoculated with a ground beef matrix, the saturated fats in the meat may have been more easily removed at warmer water temperatures. Warmer water does not enhance antimicrobial activity but have a negative environmental impact (i.e., energy consumption); therefore, policy requirements for warm water hand washing (e.g., the Food Code) should be reconsidered.

Summary: http://www.berkeleywellness.com/sel...cle/handwashing-does-water-temperature-matter

Hot water will cut through oil faster which can make you feel cleaner, but it's also more likely to damage your skin which is a net negative.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Am i an outlaw ? I never wash my hands with warm water, only cold. My old office had only (stupidly) hot water in the bathrooms sinks and i fucking hated that. I want to wash my hands, not boil them.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I still wash my hands with warm water, by the way, as many state--because it feels good.

I'm more curious if there's a legitimate scientific reason for why, instead of 70s FDA misconception.
It helps remove the oils from your hands which are more likely to carry the bacteria.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's a required health law in many places and it doesn't make sense. Seriously, it does nothing. Unless the water is hot enough to cook you, cold water works just as well.

The warm water may actually be a more optimal condition for bacteria to reproduce.
I've worked in healthcare settings for many years and never heard of this required warm water law here in UK lol

OP
OP
J-Tier

J-Tier

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Southern California
Oily surfaces like skin? No it doesn't. Ever hear the phrase, "like water off a duck's back"? Water is a very coherent substance, that's why you have surface tension-- water has a predilection for sticking to itself over anything else.
You may be right about water being "stickier" at warmer temperatures. I'll have to do more research because that's interesting on it's own.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
Damn hot water damaging skin quicker. Is this why my knuckles skin cracks & bleeds naturally during winter time?

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When you see a guy at work come out of the stall but he doesn't wash his hands at all

gif-one.gif
I once saw a coworker brushing his teeth while peeing in the urinal. Trust me, that's not a sight you would ever want to see.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

This study may be what you are referencing. I dont have time to read the study, but it is one study, so I dont know if its unchallenged by any other studies.

The soap has to foam a bit to get the surfactanting action which damages germs and removes oil. Heat also helps remove oil. Modern soap may work just fine under cold water, but at least for certain types of soap (bar in particular) heat helps the foaming action.

For laundry, many types of detergent work better under the warm and hot settings. There are of course cold water detergents, but strictly anecdotally, they dont seem to work as well.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
It's a required health law in many places and it doesn't make sense. Seriously, it does nothing. Unless the water is hot enough to cook you, cold water works just as well.

The warm water may actually be a more optimal condition for bacteria to reproduce.

Bacteria don't reproduce in the time span of washing your hands, so as long as your dry them well it doesn't matter at all. And all water boilers/heaters need to heat and maintain water at 60 °C or more to inhibit growth of bacteria and algae yes.

But yes, I think cold or hot water shouldn't matter much, it's the soap and method of washing your hands that is important. Also no long fingernails!

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Quick google:

In its medical literature, the Food and Drug Administration states that hot water comfortable enough for washing hands is not hot enough to kill bacteria, but is more effective than cold waterbecause it removes oils from the hand that can harbor bacteria.

Edit:

Oh apologies, that same article says there's not really a difference and this is a misconception.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, you should use cold or only mildly warm water to clean your hands especially during winter time.

*except your job actually requires otherwise. Then use hand lotion.
Gotta cut back on the super hot water for washing dishes. I still do all the house dishes manually by hand even though we've had a brand new dish washer; old childhood habits lol smh.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
1. You're right that warm or hot water isn't any better against bacteria.
2. If you want to use cold water to wash your hands, I literally don't think it would ever be a problem.
3. Who wants to wash their hands with cold water?

OP
OP
J-Tier

J-Tier

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Southern California
1. You're right that warm or hot water isn't any better against bacteria.
2. If you want to use cold water to wash your hands, I literally don't think it would ever be a problem.
3. Who wants to wash their hands with cold water?
I just noticed that it was a required law, so it piqued my curiosity. They can't tell me to use warm water--even if that's what I actually do.