• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dubs or subs?

• Dubs. Ain't nobody got time to read.

Votes: 123 33.5%
  • Subs. The voice is a very important part of the actor/actress.

Votes: 244 66.5%

• Total voters

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
which is complete nonsense. just because anime productions usually animate before any audio is laid down doesn't mean it isn't animated with Japanese in mind. They're still timing shots around a Japanese script.
We're talking about a process that results in poor timing in general regardless of language.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
If I watched a show in dub first, I can't watch it in subs and vice versa. Just like how if I speak to someone in English first it's hard for me to switch to another language when talking to them.

Pbae

Oct 26, 2017
Sometimes I'm doing other stuff and just want to check in on what's going on.
Also sometimes when I rewatch an anime with the dubs, I get little bits of info that I didn't get while reading subs.

Oct 25, 2017
I watch everything in the original language with the exception of anime. There I try out both the dub and the sub and go with whichever voices I like more.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
Subs, of course. I'm not a crazy person. If you can't read, I understand that dubs is a must.

Oct 27, 2017
I like anime with subtitles, and original language. Some dubs are praised as being "better" (Cowboy Bebop, etc) so I'll make those exceptions but I'll still watch with subtitles so I don't lose focus on the story/plot. Actually, I watch every movie/show with subtitles, doesn't even have to be foreign lol. Some American/English speaking actors mumble or have weird accents that make it hard to understand what they're saying, so subtitles on EVERYTHING!

Last edited:

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
At least with anime, I don't mind watching subs but I generally prefer to watch dubs. There are some really exceptional dubs out there (like Nichijou) that allow me to fully focus on the animation, making it a very comfy experience. I also have OCD which can occasionally make reading subs a pain, as I'll end up hyperfocusing on certain words, reading and rereading them at the expense of everything else on screen.

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
Good dubs are equally as valid as the sub. In some cases they're even better.

Dubbed Dragon Ball Super turns even really terrible scenes amazing due to the dub scripts.

Good4Squat

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I would never want to watch a live action film or tv show with dubs, but with animation it can sometimes work. For an example the Cowboy Bebop english dub I think most people prefer over the japanese one, so it depends.

Mr. President

Oct 27, 2017
Dubbed animation can be just as good as the original. But, it often isn't.
Dubbed live action is never acceptable.

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
English anime almost always results in English actors sounding slow because the equivalent Japanese sentence has twice as many words and syllables and they can't change the pacing.

Oct 28, 2017
It all depends on what I'm watching
Some dubs are solid but I tend to prefer subs.
Way more into foreign flicks than anime though

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on what we're talking about.

With anime, it's removed enough from reality to where seeing something dubbed doesn't feel too unnatural. As far as like mouth movements and whatnot. And the anime voice acting industry has come a long, long way in the last 20 years or so. I watch a ton of current shows and I genuinely enjoy most of the dubs I hear these days. It's actually rarer for me to hear a bad one tbh. All that being said, I also have no issue watching something subbed if it doesn't have a dub (or if the dub is truly bad). Really a case-by-case basis.

But with live action stuff, totally agreed. I always want to see live-action material in its original language with subtitles.

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
Always subtitles. English to Finnish dubs always sound super forced and unnatural because the intonation is so different between the languages.

I do prefer videogames to be in English because often there is some speech during gameplay and videogame subtitles tend to be really bad.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes I will watch Anime with the Spanish dub turned on. I originally started watching anime dubbed in Spanish so it's extremely normal to me. I only watch certain anime now in actual English and they are all
Classic anime at this point. You couldn't pay me to watch Ouran Host Club in anything but English for example.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
I don't want to have my attention focused on the bottom quarter of the screen all the time and have to keep rewinding because I missed something as I was too busy reading a subtitle.

This, essentially. I have no problem reading, but I can't fully enjoy the visual component of a movie or show if my attention is constantly focused on the bottom of the screen. Live-action subs aren't too bad but anime especially is distracting because the characters talk all the time during action scenes, either to each other or with an inner-monologue about their plan or past or whatever. I don't have time to rewind or watch it twice to get the whole thing.

Oct 29, 2017
On one had there is a lot of bad dialogue that I would probably find more embarrassing when listen to instead of read as subtitles.

On the other hand, listening to dialogue that is truly great in the languages you understand elevates it. But this works better when the performance is not put on top of the face of another actor. Some translations of classic plays are really really good and I really appreciate the effort put on adapting them. I also really appreciate many of the adaptations of Disney songs to Spanish.

Ultimately, I think that a combination of dubbing being inherently harder and the fact that mediocre dubbing ruins the the experience a lot more than mediocre subtitles, then chances are that a lot more effort and thought in translating is put into creating a decent dub than into the best subtitles.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
99% of the time I watch subs over dubs. There are a few animes where the dubs are actually good such as Steins;Gate or Space Dandy, in those cases I'm fine with watching in dub, but the majority of the time the dub is vastly inferior. For example I can't for the life of me see how people can watch Boku No Hero Academia in dub, it just sounds so bad.
I dunno...I've heard bad dubs and My Hero Academia ain't it. In fact I think it's pretty rare for a popular anime to have bad dubs nowadays. It's gotten so much better over the last couple decades or so. In fact I vastly prefer All Might in English over Japanese, but Sabat is fucking great, so I'm not surprised. He adds a lot to the character that isn't there in Japanese...at least for me. Iida is fantastic in English as well. Deku though.....well....uhhh...

With that said, I don't give a shit what I watch an anime in, English or Japanese. Whatever I start it in, I'd prefer to finish it like that. Demon Slayer will be in Japanese, MHA in English, Attack on Titan in Japanese, etc

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Always subs, i wanna hear original language no matter what . Be it live action movies or anime . I just really dont like how dubs change tone and direction of a lot of characters, especially in anime