• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bjork

Oct 27, 2017
If it would mean another DLC with 30 minutes of robots talking to each other, no thanks.

Give me remastered 3 and NV and I'm there for both, though.

Vadara

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My favorite part about this forum of that it exists in the magical world where FO4 isn't one of the most played games on Steam and where Skyrim isn't one of the most popular games of the past decade.

Nothing embodies how much this forum is completely out of touch with the wider gaming market than its hyperbolic FONV praise.

Resident Evie

Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
Just give me another Fallout game. Hook it to my veins please. I'd love to see what Obsidian can do, although I have a lot of issues with New Vegas. At any rate, I can't wait years for Fallout 5, it's too much!

Vadara

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But it IS universally praised.
Is it really? I barely hear any of my more causal gaming friends talk about when nearly all of them play FO4. I know one guy that owns both.

This hyperbolic echo-chamber around the game is why I'm not really that interested in playing it (that and everyone who recommends it to me is the definition of a crpg grognard).

MisterR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've always thought it has to somewhat piss Bethesda off that NV is praised so much more than the Fallout games they develop. It's rightly deserved praise though.

ShadyK54

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Because Obsidian is just waiting for the right moment to announce it! Right....right?

giphy.gif

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
I would love another Fallout from Obsidian. I just hope it won't be 5 years before we see a new Fallout.

It's going to be more than that honestly. They still haven't put out elder scrolls six and they have another new ip they are working on (or maybe 2?). I think it will be a very long time before we see another fallout unless they hire another team or hire out another developer.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Because these days I think Bethesda wants to keep all game development internal and outside of the team that makes the core Fallout and Elder Scrolls games none of their other dev teams really make openworld games, so none of those other teams as they currently are would be well equipped to make a Fallout or Elder Scrolls. The only way they would put a Obsidian on a new Fallout (or Elder Scrolls) nowadays would be if Bethesda acquired Obsidian. I would love if Obsidian got to take another crack at making another Bethesda-style Fallout game as New Vegas is the only Bethesda-style open world game that I actually like but I never see that happening. I could almost see Bethesda going in the UbiArt direction by having one of their teams make a much smaller scale old school style Fallout game (I'm actually surprised this hasn't happened yet).

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2017
Is it really? I barely hear any of my more causal gaming friends talk about when nearly all of them play FO4. I know one guy that owns both.

This hyperbolic echo-chamber around the game is why I'm not really that interested in playing it (that and everyone who recommends it to me is the definition of a crpg grognard).
Sorry that you have friends that you're willing to throw under the bus for the sake of a ERA post and apparently also talk to shitty people from RPG Codex on the regular but that doesn't magically make New Vegas undue of the praise it gets.

Digoman

Oct 27, 2017
I have a weird relationship with Fallout 4. The gameplay mechanics are good enough that for a while it was my "comfort" game to load and play around a little (after finishing the awful main quest) so I have a *lot* of hours on it. But if you asked if is good my honest answer would be: "it's decent".

If Obsidian could take that the systems already in place, tweak them, and place a good story and quests with multiple choices, exactly like the did with New Vegas, it would probably be one of my favorite games. Even if they were forced to use the dialog wheel. They did make that work on Alpha Protocol.

As for why that hasn't happen... I'm guessing it's more a business decision from Zenimax to keep it all in house, that probably makes the whole GaaS model work better. But it woudln't surprise me if there are some bruised egos on Bethesda by the fact that almost every "enthusiast" site and forum like to rub New Vegas as a superior RPG.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Because it's not a perfect world, and they seem keen on re-releasing Skyrim over and over again.

Fallout 3 is one of my all time favourite games, and New Vegas was really good too (just not at launch when I couldn't play it due to freezing). Fallout 4 wasn't up to par, so I wish they'd release a new and better Fallout game soon. One without that AWFUL world building shit.

Nov 1, 2017
Because it's not a perfect world, and they seem keen on re-releasing Skyrim over and over again.

Fallout 3 is one of my all time favourite games, and New Vegas was really good too (just not at launch when I couldn't play it due to freezing). Fallout 4 wasn't up to par, so I wish they'd release a new and better Fallout game soon. One without that AWFUL world building shit.
Bethesda is not likely going to drop the tech they developed for the mediocre settlement building in FO4 as they probably don't view it as a fuck-up or a failure. If anything they'll shove it into the next Elder Scrolls, whenever they decide to pull the trigger on that.

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
I frankly don't want to see one, because i'm 99% certain that Bethesda would force them to use Fallout 4's dialogue system and voice acting. They invested a lot into a voiced PC and made a really big deal out of it. Having it in a spinoff would be contractually required.
I can't find a source right now, but I could've sworn that Todd Howard acknowledged the flaws in the dialogue system and that it was kind of a failed experiment. Hopefully that means they learned from the mistake.

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I mean we don't know really much about any of the 2018 Line-Up from Bethesda yet. Could be possible they will announce a Fallout Spin-Off at E3 and release it in 2018. But I doubt it. But it would be hella cool.

Oct 28, 2017
My favorite part about this forum of that it exists in the magical world where FO4 isn't one of the most played games on Steam and where Skyrim isn't one of the most popular games of the past decade.

Nothing embodies how much this forum is completely out of touch with the wider gaming market than its hyperbolic FONV praise.

It's a platform for extensive modding and its a massive open world with tons of content, of course it'll be popular. That doesn't make it a good game and it takes a while, longer than most to recognize its flaws.

I don't think anyone can really argue that Skyrim and Fallout 4 haven't been "dumbed down" and it's important to acknowledge this because the prospect of giving players meaningful choice in their RPGs isn't just something for the neckbeards and that's what I find so frustrating about Bethesda. A modern day Morrowind IS appealing to more than the people who browse RPGCodex and it's a shame it took Breath of the Wild to prove that you can have a super mainstream title that doesn't hold your hand when that's what TES and Fallout should've been proving to the industry with every release.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
The love of New Vegas is real and is real for good reason. No Hyperbole whatsoever. That said I've given up hope that we'll get another. Why would we get something like that again? That would imply we live in a world where we get nice things. I see no evidence of that! Dammit now I am wanting to go and mod up New Vegas and play it again. Or hell is it BC on XBox One? I could just play the GOTY disc I have. New Vegas is so good even the jank can't bring it down. Obsidian are busy I feel on their own stuff and I don't see Bethesda wanting another game that people say is better than their efforts.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think the reason of "people want Obsidian Fallout games" is one of the major reasons behind Bethesda's possible decision to not have another New Vegas-esque follow up. If it is one of the reasons, I would still doubt it's the driving reasoning. I think Bethesda, as Pete Hines said, isn't a vending machine. Just because Fallout 4 happened, doesn't mean we're going to get a Obsidian follow up like with FO3 and NV.

Just like with Fallout 4 we're not going to get another Elder Scrolls because after BGS works on one franchise it's not straight to the other (although I don't doubt they're working on it to some degree, I doubt it's in any substantial state). Bethesda as a company is changing. They have more franchises and developers under their belt and new opportunities. With that in mind, I think it is as simple as Bethesda (and it's developer, BGS) are pursuing other things outside of the ES/Fallout vending machine.

Is that a good idea? Maybe, maybe not. Sure, the Skyrim remasters are becoming a bit much, but that nostalgia is selling. I think there is an opportunity to be had with Obsidian working on Fallout again, but perhaps they think otherwise.

As an avid Fallout fan who has been in multiple communities regarding the franchise, and simply Bethesda as a whole, the New Vegas praise is not exclusive to this forum community, I can tell you that. There is a vocal part of the fan base that does think it to be the ideal modern Fallout game.

But that's just it. It's a vocal part, but it's very unlikely representative of the majority of people who enjoy Bethesda games and most likely still think more of Fallout 3 and perhaps Fallout 4.

I much prefer every other Fallout RPG over Bethesda's Fallout, don't get me wrong, but I won't let that cloud the reality.

Last edited:

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I'd love settlement building in TES6 lol. Just make it 100% optional, and cut the shitty randomly generated quests.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
It just seems baffling to me. Feels like a no-brainer. Here's what New Vegas had in its favor:

1- Was made fast and probably cheap considering it was outsourced.

2- Don't have exact figures, but the game sold fairly well I'm sure.

3- Was well received by both critics and players at the time, and is still regarded very highly these days.

I don't believe the metacritic bonus thing really has much to do with it, since Obsidian expressed willingness to work with Bethesda again if I'm not mistaken.

New Vegas was so good, and I'd love to see what Obsidian can come up with with the upgraded (lol) engine. Plus, since the next big Bethesda RPG is probably years away at this point, it would be a good stop-gap.

What say you?

I think Fallout 4 showed that Bethesda wants to move the franchise in a different direction from what New Vegas is, and what Obsidian would probably do with it. Fallout 4 wasn't that much of an RPG anymore, and had such a big focus on loot and settlements/crafting, rather then complex quests, so if they did another spinoff product like New Vegas, there are probably many better suited developers for that then Obsidian, that can continue to drive Fallout in the direction that F4 has set.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Fallout 4 feels more like a Choose Your Own Adventure book and less like an honest to God RPG. I can't stand the game for that reason and won't have high hopes for any future Fallout game which seeks to emulate Fallout 4.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
It's all I've wanted since the vanilla FO4. No even with all the FO4 DLC, New Vegas was better in everything besides graphics and combat.

If you're reading this Bethesda make it happen and take my money.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
If Obsidian wasn't able to do it themselves, I would be more than happy with a Bethesda Fallout title written by Chris Avellone tbh.

Phrozenflame500

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Dude I have no idea why you thought jumping into a thread to comment about how overrated a game you haven't even played was a good idea.

Anyways I'm assuming there are probably business reasons for it on either side, although I'd love to see what Obsidian can do with Fallout 4's framework.

Luchashaq

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I starting to feel weird that I like Fallout 3 so much more than New Vegas. I guess I just didn't like the desert setting and thought the main city was almost entirely awful and poorly implemented

I'm ambivalent about Fallout 4

I'm with you except I thought FO4 was a steaming pile.

FO4 New Vegas would be combining the worst two fallouts into one piss soup.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's all I've wanted since the vanilla FO4. No even with all the FO4 DLC, New Vegas was better in everything besides graphics and combat.

If you're reading this Bethesda make it happen and take my money.
Fallout 4's combat was more polished than in New Vegas, but I'd argue it was a bit more shallow, too. The removal of multiple ammo types especially made gunplay generally less interesting to me.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017

You wouldn't last a day in the Mojave wastes. Trust me, I know.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I mean surely the real question is where's the new TES? We had a fallout already this gen. Skyrim was forever ago.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
It's not clear to me that any of the traditional big publishers are interested in working with Obsidian.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Fallout NV was rushed. It's a fantastic thing that we haven't heard about the new Fallout yet because at least it suggests the potential of a non-rushed game.

Volphied

Nov 17, 2017
I never found NV to be this gaming holy grail that so many made it to be. It's a good game, don't get me wrong, but I don't see why some treat it as some kind of masterpiece.

Guess it's because I only started playing Fallout games after F3. I don't have the nostalgia for F1 and F2

Timelost

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The answer is: Fallout games aren't RPGs anymore. Imagine how Bethesda would look if they outsourced again and another Obsidian-tier Fallout was directly compared to Fallout 4.

Raven117

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I starting to feel weird that I like Fallout 3 so much more than New Vegas. I guess I just didn't like the desert setting and thought the main city was almost entirely awful and poorly implemented

I'm ambivalent about Fallout 4
I thought Fallout 3 had better "atmopshere", where New Vegas had far more interesting writing.

Fallout 4 just...well, it pretty much was not awesome. It was average at best.

IT really is a shame too, bought Skyrim for switch (having not played it since release in 2011, and it is still excellent)

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
Because it's going to be a Switch exclusive set in BOTW-Hyrule post nuclear annihilation. The final boss is ghoul-link. They had to release Skyrim first to test the engine. Now we on the road.

Con_Smith

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Picked up a One S for black Friday and first thing I did (while downloading sunset overdrive) was start a new game of New Vegas. Man this really makes the few positives I had for 4 go down the drain. I wish Obsidian would make their own P.A. type of game if they can't work on fallout. The way their dialog works and story sets up is just leagues beyond 3 and 4.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
Fallout 4's combat was more polished than in New Vegas, but I'd argue it was a bit more shallow, too. The removal of multiple ammo types especially made gunplay generally less interesting to me.

I give FO4 credit because you didn't have to use Vats all the time just to hit things a few feet in front of you. Power Armor combat felt like you were actually in a power suit instead of just heavier metal armor.

I did miss making better ammo for my holorifle and combat shotgun.

Hero Prinny

Oct 25, 2017
even with all the current mods out there fo4 cant even compete with vanilla new vegas imo since the problems with it are so deeply rooted into its design. i don't even want obsidean to make a fallout spin off tbh, i'd rather they make their own IP in the style of fallout and make it first/third person (none of that top down stuff)

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
hyperbolic FONV praise.

This hyperbolic echo-chamber around the game is why I'm not really that interested in playing it

lol.

Thanks for bringing in your opinion buddy

I never found NV to be this gaming holy grail that so many made it to be. It's a good game, don't get me wrong, but I don't see why some treat it as some kind of masterpiece.

Guess it's because I only started playing Fallout games after F3. I don't have the nostalgia for F1 and F2

Because its quest design is some of the best, most complex in all of videogames.

There's a reason why pictures like these are often posted when talking about New Vegas
http://i.imgur.com/mAENC.jpg

It understands very well what it means to be an RPG and goes all out on that.

Add to that the writing, which does an amazing job at being funny while still being smart, a stat system actually worth a damn and an interesting plot that avoids most (but not all) major RPG tropes