• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
I've noticed this enough to assume this is happening more than just the instances I know of. Today I was watching some weeb channels about Japan. I watched this girl Kelly Moritas day in a life. I enjoyed it so I went to check out her channel. In her most recent videos she has a husband. That threw me off because she def didn't have one in the video I watched. So I watched a Q&A type video. Apparently they'd only gotten together because he messaged her on YouTube after watching her videos. Then my brain remembered, I've seen this before.

Off the top of my head I know Pewdiepie found his wife the same way, I know Squirmy And Grubs met this way. I've also found it on smaller channels too.

What is this phenomenon?

Oct 27, 2017
Northernlion met kate after she watched his dark souls videos and reached out.

I'm not gonna assume anything nefarious. Mostly pretty sheltered dudes who outside of the internet dont have a lot of skill or experience in meeting women. To have a person you find attractive reach out to you is almost certainly something that didnt happen much, if ever, before their channels.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
I don't find this weird at all, social media celebs are like rockstars today

Immortan

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles
Mostly because youtubers are just like anyone else and who says you can't treat youtube like a dating site. Send a message, get a reply, find out they are close by and hangout when you have downtime and realize you have an attraction and bam start a relationship.

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
It's just another way to meet someone? If a lot of people are into you then it would be weirder if this didn't happen, to get with one or more of them.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you're at least semi big on YT, you most likely get a million messages a day from thirsty fans and sometimes you just spot someone from the crowd and you fall in love. Not sure what's the big deal.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
Popular = more visibility. More visibility more chances to date if you are single.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing it's hard to meet people outside of your job when Youtubing is your whole life.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
It shouldn't be a surprise. If they're following you they probably share similar interests.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Dating a person who found you online and reached out isn't creepy or wrong or an abuse of power.

Contrast that to ProJared, who used his fame to set up tumblers where he used his celebrity to get nudes from his fans (no questions asked about their age). That is where things get fuckery as all fucking fuck.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Thats like asking why people who work in coffee shops sometimes go out with a customer.

Its not that hard OP.

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I met my girlfriend by commenting on her illustrations on Miiverse. We just ended up eventually direct messaging and we had a connection and it went from there. It's not really any different than meeting a friend online

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
That's two people meeting. One person knows the others whole life while the other person knows zero about the other.
If you think youtubers are showing their whole real selves to the camera, I've got some bad news for you... Also dating is what we as humans use to get to know people better, so again, unless the internet celebrity is using their relative power imbalance to do something shady (one night stands, soliciting nudes, covering up physical or emotional abuse) it's not a big deal.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
That's two people meeting. One person knows the others whole life while the other person knows zero about the other.
At least the channels you listed those are just people putting on a public persona for their work. A Youtuber≠a real person. A barista can be charming with customers and tell personal anecdotes/jokes but they are still working. A Youtuber/Streamer is putting on an act(either a complete character or a heightened version of themselves) in order to entertain. They are not telling their audience their entire life. They have a crush on an idea not a person like someone who has a crush on a barista that they follow on instagram.

These youtubers are not dating commenters sight unseen. They probably meet them irl at meet ups/cons, get to know them and date like normal people. Youtubers know what social media is. They can look at a persons facebook/insta/snapchat and probably learn 100% more personal stuff about the commenters they are planing to date because non-public people don't have to be as guarded about their personal info.

BuryAllen

Oct 28, 2017
SF8MzIP.gif

karl's wood

Jan 15, 2019
I mean well played to everyone mentioned for finding someone but the precedent stuff like this sets sure as hell makes it difficult to maintain any degree of privacy as someone in the same world.

The unofficial motto of my channel has become "fuck off" due to the amount of inappropriate messages I get from people trying to insert themselves into my life because other Youtubers either encourage it or don't say anything about it out of fear it would piss off their fans.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
Its like having a dating website profile where you've been seen by millions of potential partners. As long as the relationship is normal and healthy, I dont see a problem.

slsk

Oct 27, 2017
It will be interesting to see a "where are they now" doco years after the Youtuber bubble bursts.

RiPPn

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Not sure why or how it's anyone's business how people meet and date other than curiosity I suppose, but OP's post comes off with a hint of jealousy.

pillowtalk

Oct 10, 2018
I livestream myself body painting to 20k people on twitch's Just Chatting just to increase the chance to find someone for a lunch date.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I met my girlfriend by commenting on her illustrations on Miiverse. We just ended up eventually direct messaging and we had a connection and it went from there. It's not really any different than meeting a friend online
How did it go from just complimenting her art to private messaging and then finding out what you both look like and then going on a date? Sounds fascinating, to go from faceless to the real deal.

Azraes

Oct 28, 2017
London
It's just another manner of meeting people. It's no different than Paul Bettany, who had never met Jennifer Connolly before 9/11, getting her number after that, calling her up and asking her out on a date. This happened.

Or well personally I've dated someone someone by commenting on their blog and got asked out by someone because I was very active in an online game.

In most of these cases one person knows the other's cult of personallity and only one person needs to put the effort to know the other and it makes the intro/courting phases a lot shorter if they get along.