• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Northernlion met kate after she watched his dark souls videos and reached out.

I'm not gonna assume anything nefarious. Mostly pretty sheltered dudes who outside of the internet dont have a lot of skill or experience in meeting women. To have a person you find attractive reach out to you is almost certainly something that didnt happen much, if ever, before their channels.
Knowing Kate and Northernlion personally, I can tell you that they are a great couple, and both absolutely wonderful, caring people. I also know that Ryan works an insane amount, more than makes it possible to go out to meet people on a regular basis. Kate is a pretty outgoing, outspoken person, so it doesn't suprise me that she reached out.

They're also very cute together. <3

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
When you have millions of people watching you some of them are going to be romantically compatible

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Well, it's just people meeting their partner through their job. As a shit ton of people do, youtubers or not.

Of the youtuber cases i know of, a bunch met theirs in the backstages of conventions, either volunteers to help the convention or exposants. Some others met because they moved to another city and asked if some viewers living there could show them around. Another case was a viewer became an agent for influencers, and proposed to work for them, and then, the working relation evolved. All of wich seem quite fine. Especially since those where (and still are) for long term relationships.

Sure, a bunch of youtubers/streamers have met theirs fans in a much creepier way, basically just to get a fuck. But when it leads to a long term relationship, even marriage, i don't see much issues.

Haribokart

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a shit low level Twitch streamer who barely pays attention to chat and can't play games, I'm not particularly smart or attractive and I get dozens of (ignored) propositions a week from boys and girls. It's so easy for this to be abused it's honestly scary.

viral

Oct 25, 2017
Northernlion met kate after she watched his dark souls videos and reached out.

I'm not gonna assume anything nefarious. Mostly pretty sheltered dudes who outside of the internet dont have a lot of skill or experience in meeting women. To have a person you find attractive reach out to you is almost certainly something that didnt happen much, if ever, before their channels.

Huh, I never knew this. I always assumed they met when NL was teaching in Korea.

Oct 27, 2017
Huh, I never knew this. I always assumed they met when NL was teaching in Korea.

Nah, Kate was already in Canada i believe. They met after he returned. Dont quote me 100% (and honestly talking about his personal stuff kinda makes me feel icky lol) but Kate had a QandA video on youtube once upon a time, and I remember for sure she reached out after watching him play some dark souls.

Knowing Kate and Northernlion personally, I can tell you that they are a great couple, and both absolutely wonderful, caring people. I also know that Ryan works an insane amount, more than makes it possible to go out to meet people on a regular basis. Kate is a pretty outgoing, outspoken person, so it doesn't suprise me that she reached out.

They're also very cute together. <3

Yeah that consistency. I wondered about his work balance but he seems to be doing great these days. Never thought I would watch a 30 year old boomer rank every item in the grocery store. Lol.

Last edited:

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
Imagine you have 10,000 subscribers. If even 1% of them are interested in you romantically, you suddenly have a pool of 100 people to consider dating. That's likely far above the average person's dating pool.

This gets much larger quite quickly if you have 100,000 or 1,000,000 subscribers.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If I could get a list of OP's acceptable ways for romantic partners to meet, that would be helpful

OP
OP
MrNewVegas

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine you have 10,000 subscribers. If even 1% of them are interested in you romantically, you suddenly have a pool of 100 people to consider dating. That's likely far above the average person's dating pool.

This gets much larger quite quickly if you have 100,000 or 1,000,000 subscribers.
I think it's more the sight unseen thing that baffles me. I might be superficial but I'd need to see a person before I considered them.

And I think people are taking it the wrong way, I'm not out here saying this is a "wrong" way to meet lol. Just very unorthodox and one I wouldn't consider myself.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Why there can always be a power imbalance with that kind of relationship its also not that surprising that two people who share very similar interests would probably hit it off easier, especially as one is putting themselves out there for others to get to know in the first place. I guess that could suck for the youtuber or similar person as the other side comes ready with all kinds of knowledge about you while you are starting with a blank slate most likely.

Oct 27, 2017
When you consider the amount of work that goes into trying to make a YouTube channel successful and what they're losing out on in terms of a physical social component, it makes perfect sense.

Also most YouTubers are doing things they love and or are passionate about so to find someone who respects that is enticing

OP
OP
MrNewVegas

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
When you consider the amount of work that goes into trying to make a YouTube channel successful and what they're losing out on in terms of a physical social component, it makes perfect sense.

Also most YouTubers are doing things they love and or are passionate about so to find someone who respects that is enticing
Yeah I never took the loneliness aspect of it.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Why do people that work together fall in love? Interacting with people online is just another way to meet someone, and if a person is single they are eventually going to find someone they are into. All the stories of people meeting each other playing games like WoW should have normalized this long ago.

I think it's more the sight unseen thing that baffles me. I might be superficial but I'd need to see a person before I considered them.

And I think people are taking it the wrong way, I'm not out here saying this is a "wrong" way to meet lol. Just very unorthodox and one I wouldn't consider myself.

I've actually had this happen a couple times. There was some mutual attraction through text, and then it progressed to phone calls. Ended up marrying one of them and had 2 kids. The rough part is if it's long distance. Long distance relationships are bullshit.

Last edited:

Kanann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, I married a person I met in vidya game forum 2x years ago when we still in middle school.

It's just like fall in love with pen friend.

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
How did it go from just complimenting her art to private messaging and then finding out what you both look like and then going on a date? Sounds fascinating, to go from faceless to the real deal.

Well, she drew a lot of Animal Crossing art, and New Leaf was coming out soon, so it went from commenting on her art to DMing about video games/Animal Crossing in general, then playing New Leaf together when that came out, then friending each other on Facebook after we were pretty comfortable, eventually Skype, then EVENTUALLY eventually plane tickets. I think due to the circumstances of us meeting, on top of the fact that I live in America and she lives in Germany, we weren't approaching the situation for potential romance at all. It wasn't until a few years into knowing each other where we were like "hey, this might work".

I don't think a lot of people like moving as slowly as her and I do, but our relationship really, really benefited from having a solid foundation. And when you live on other sides of the world, you don't have much else to do with each other but chat and play video games, hahaha.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Well, she drew a lot of Animal Crossing art, and New Leaf was coming out soon, so it went from commenting on her art to DMing about video games/Animal Crossing in general, then playing New Leaf together when that came out, then friending each other on Facebook after we were pretty comfortable, eventually Skype, then EVENTUALLY eventually plane tickets. I think due to the circumstances of us meeting, on top of the fact that I live in America and she lives in Germany, we weren't approaching the situation for potential romance at all. It wasn't until a few years into knowing each other where we were like "hey, this might work".

I don't think a lot of people like moving as slowly as her and I do, but our relationship really, really benefited from having a solid foundation. And when you live on other sides of the world, you don't have much else to do with each other but chat and play video games, hahaha.
That's so sweet and thanks for the detailed breakdown, best of success in your relationship!

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
And I would argue that the YTers who sleep around with viewers and are pieces of shit is higher than those that end up getting married.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is really surprising to me. Like do YouTubers actually read their messages? I can understand two random people hitting it off online but the vlogger to viewer relationship seems very unlikely!

Mankoto

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 28, 2017
I don't know OP. It just happens I guess.

Anecdotally it's how I met my girlfriend. I was streaming on twitch one day and she was one of the few viewers I had. She was making comments in my stream and I was talking back to her. A few days of streaming later she asked for my Discord. From there we went from talking for the couple of hours I streamed to all day long. A month later we just decided to make it official. Granted she's on the other side of the country but it's fine. Our first year anniversary was back in September.

In another instance, a couple years back my friend was a small Story of Seasons Youtuber showed me messages flirty messages he got from his viewers but his analytics showed his viewers were either over 30 or under 13. Nothing inbetween. Fun stuff.