• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
Edit: thanks for the info, this is the real version

Rest easy era, it still sound like farts

A friend just sent me this and we started laughing about how bad this port is. I know the story behind the 3do version, crazy stuff, but this one is hilarious.

Doom is really one of his kind, this game is part of the very history of gaming, to think that from 1993 to 2018 people have fond memories and histories to share about it.

Last edited:

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know. Is 32X have a bad audio chip?

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
That's hilarious, and sadly it's actually not that different sounding than the actual 32X music. When I bought this game on the 32X back in the day, I seriously thought something was wrong with my system and I was checking all the cables and everything.

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I think the music wasn't properly redone for it, something along the lines of just throwing the PC midi files in there (though I could be wrong).

It's actually the only version of the game that I own. Heh.

Edit: Just heard the fake version. No clue how that sounds "close" to the real thing. Anyway, I never heard these so called sounds that others do. It just sounds like poor midi to me. Heh.

Last edited:

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah you made a mistake OP. This is the real 32X version of the song.

For real though, why did so many console ports of DOOM mess up the music? And/or make the bizarre choice to leave it out entirely...

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know. Is 32X have a bad audio chip?

No, actually the 32x had a quite decent sound chip for what it was, and it could be used in tandem with the Yamaha from the Mega Drive.

Doom's issues seem more like product of a rushed port. 32x in a nutshell, basically.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Farts from the butt of a console add-on that the 32x was.

More probably it was because it used the same YM2612 sound chip as the Genesis with occasional higher fidelity voice and percussion samples, and a lot of devs didn't add any more sound hardware to their carts or put in the work to make that chip sound good.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
You really had to put in work to get good Genesis music. The tool Sega handed out was only as good as it's user and a lot of the time games would use bad presets.

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, actually the 32x had a quite decent sound chip for what it was, and it could be used in tandem with the Yamaha from the Mega Drive.

Doom's issues seem more like product of a rushed port. 32x in a nutshell, basically.
I believe so. I lost the times I re-watched DF retro of Doom. Maybe with proper time... but in my time people used to praise so much Super Nintendo audio chip and I kinda agree.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i remember the jaguar version being a bit wonk too when it came to the music

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i remember the jaguar version being a bit wonk too when it came to the music

The jaguar version doesn't have music

lazygecko can explain the problems with Doom's music much better than anyone else on this forum can. Isn't it literally out of tune in places? The TL;DR is that the music for doom was run through a converter that was poor at it's job, where FM synthesis is more ike playing an actual instrument in that hand crafting your music will produce better results. You hear things like the conversion from real instruments to the sonic soundtracks, and those are things that are basically Megadrive covers of the real music done by hand.

Odrion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
32X wasn't that bad of a port.

It was playable, which is a lot more than what can be said about the SNES, 3D0, and Sega Saturn versions. And it came out in 1994, when Doom's technology was still exciting and top of the line.

Oct 25, 2017
Use of the Mega Drive hardware for sound instead of it's proper sound hardware that was really good, however something of a plague developed with games humping all the Mega hardware due to short dev time and lack of experience programming for the entire system really, as it goes.

Glendemonium

May 21, 2018
The Genesis-32X era were bad on the ears. Sonic games were the outlier, but most genesis games sounded like they used a combination of synthwave and fart machine. Even some sound effects were just as bad. It took me out of both Xmen games and a few other ports.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
The Genesis-32X era were bad on the ears. Sonic games were the outlier, but most genesis games sounded like they used a combination of synthwave and fart machine. Even some sound effects were just as bad. It took me out of both Xmen games and a few other ports.

You didn't play many good games on it then. Mega Drive music (that doesn't use GEMS) has aged wonderfully:

This meme about Mega Drive music being bad really needs to die.

JCW

Oct 26, 2017

3DO version is renowned terrible but this version of At Doom's Gate is really good. 1.25x speed is close to the original as well.

Nov 23, 2017
32X wasn't that bad of a port.

It was playable, which is a lot more than what can be said about the SNES, 3D0, and Sega Saturn versions. And it came out in 1994, when Doom's technology was still exciting and top of the line.
That's pretty embarassing, how was the saturn or 3do one worse? I thought those were much stronger than the 32x.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Easily the best rendition of the doom theme still. Right up there with the masterpiece basement theme from the resident evil greatest hits directors cut.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's pretty embarassing, how was the saturn or 3do one worse? I thought those were much stronger than the 32x.

The above Digital Foundry video on the Doom console ports goes more in depth, but the short version is:

3DO: The company that got the rights to port the game were completely incompetent, thinking you could just create new weapons in MSPaint and then directly drop it into the game and have it work and other such dumbfuckery, and they only hired someone who actually had some computer programming skills to fix their shit with a few weeks to go until it shipped.

Saturn: The devs had a better build of the game that utilized the Saturn's unique hardware and would have easily been the best Doom port to date, but John Carmack vetoed it because he was hung up about texture warping, resulting in them instead being forced to make a horribly gimped, poor performing port of the PS1 version instead.

Freakylinks

Nov 4, 2017
omg reading the title of thread i knew exactly what you was talking about but playing that fake one is fantastic :D never heard it before lmao

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit I straight up almost started crying I was laughing so hard at this thread

The original and the joke version both are hilarious

OP
OP
Era of not Yakuza
Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
Oh my God, that gag version is killing me lol

Lmao, I'm crying. I can't handle this

Even the original is cracking me up.

Why is it so funny? I am dying

DAMN why is that so funny? I'm losing my shit laughing over here.

Yeah, right? For a second I was sad realizing that it was just a joke BUT then I heard the original sound and it was so close that I LMAO

Deleted member 14377

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
holy shit, this is killing me. This is the perfect soundtrack to derailing your own thread with your own OP

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
Sonic games were the outlier, but most genesis games sounded like they used a combination of synthwave and fart machine. Even some sound effects were just as bad.
I get that you got taken out of the experience because of the FM-synth music in these Mega Drive/32X games, but "synthwave" doesn't make any sense for what you're describing (that's a music genre/style). "Fart machine" is a dumb insult because the FM-synth sound chips used in these machines are very capable of sounds way beyond the atonal, poorly programmed blasts heard in this shoddy Doom port.

Psyrgery

Nov 7, 2017
The audio chip in the genesis needs a bit of working in order to get a decent sound, but if you give it enough love it can sound awesome (Mr. Koshiro and Tallarico might want to have a word of two with those who still claim that the Genesis sounds like farts).

Basically, the DooM 32X port was so rushed, the developers used a Midi to FM synth convertor and called it a day. They didn't even bothered to properly convert the drums track, that's why it sounds awful.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I never understood why people made fun of the MD's sound chip, I guess it is a system wars meme that stuck.